15 Top Benefits of Amla and Uses that You Should Know – Amla, or Indian gooseberry is one of the most common ingredients in Ayurvedic preparations. It is a powerhouse of nutrients. We will talk about the top benefits of amla in this article. Amla can be consumed in any form – amla powder, amla juice or can be eaten raw as well. Amla, or Indian gooseberry is a very rich source of Vitamin C and along with that, it also contains a high amount of vitamins and minerals, like phosphorus, iron, manganese, copper etc. Also, it is a great source of dietary fiber and carbohydrates. The antioxidant, antibacterial, antimicrobial as well as anti inflammatory benefits of amla makes this fruit great for our health and beauty. So, here are the top 15 benefits of amla and some uses that you must know.
Check – 5 Amla Powder Hair Pack Recipes
Lets first find out some quick facts about this wonder ingredient of nature, before we start with all the benefits of amla for our health, skin and hair.
What is Amla
Indian gooseberry, or amla or amalaki, as we know more commonly, belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family. The tree is small to medium in size, reaching 8-18 m in height. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Vishnu is believed to dwell in this tree and that’s why, amla tree is considered sacred by the Hindus.
The fruit itself is nearly spherical in shape. It is light greenish yellow in color and also appears quite hard and smooth from outside with six vertical stripes in it and a seed inside. The taste of Indian gooseberry is quite sour and slightly bitter as well. Maharashtra is one of the largest producers and suppliers of Indian gooseberry.
15 Top Benefits of Amla and Uses that You Should Know
So it’s time to explore all the top benefits of amla for our hair, skin and our overall health.
- Amla to get Glowing Skin
- Get Even Complexion using Amla
- Gooseberry to Prevent Skin Aging
- Amla to treat Pigmentation
- Repair Damaged Skin using Amla
- Gooseberry Benefits to Stimulate Hair Growth
- Amla for Hair Strengthening
- Amla to Prevent Premature Graying
- Prevent Dandruff using Amla
- Gooseberry Benefits to Condition Hair
- Amla to Control Diabetes
- Amla for Kidneys
- Benefits of Gooseberry in Digestion
- Amla to Boost Immunity
- Amla benefits for Heart
Benefits of Amla for Skin
Amla is packed with Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that works wonders for our skin. Lets find out how amla benefits our skin.
1. Amla to get Glowing Skin
Why to use amla for glowing skin
Lets start our list of benefits of amla for skin with this one. Amla, or Indian gooseberry is a rich source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a wonderful ingredient for our skin. It makes our skin smooth and glowing. Vitamin C has the ability to exfoliate our skin and also bring out the inner glow. Definitely one of the best Indian gooseberry benefits for our skin!
How to use amla to get glowing skin
Check out the below mentioned ways to make use of this great benefits of gooseberry –
- Regular consumption of amla juice makes our skin clean, clear and glowing from within.
- Amla juice can be used as face mask as well. Apply fresh and pure amla juice all over the skin, let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash off.
- Here is a simple face pack recipe to reap this amazing skin benefits of amla – Mix together some amla powder, honey and yogurt to make a face mask. Apply onto the skin and allow it to dry. Wash off. Use regularly to get clean and glowing skin.
2. Benefits of Amla to Get Even Complexion
Why to use amla to get even complexion
Many women use amla to get bright and even toned complexion. The presence of Vitamin C and other skin loving nutrients benefits of amla, or Indian gooseberry has made it one of the best skin reviving ingredients nature has to offer us. Using amla water to rinse the skin is one of the simplest yet effective way to reap all the skin benefits of amla.
Check – 7 Best Drink Juice to get Strong and Beautiful Hair
How to use amla for even complexion
This is how you can prepare amla water at home – chop 3-4 fresh amla, put them in blender and then add some water. Whizz up and the resulting mixture is what we call amla water. Use this amla water 3-4 times in a week to rinse your face, and you will see positive result in few weeks.
3. Gooseberry to Prevent Skin Aging
Why to use amla for anti aging
This is another amazing Indian gooseberry benefits for our skin. The abundance of Vitamin C benefits of amla helps with anti aging. Our skin becomes saggy and loose when it loses collagen. Vitamin C also helps to boost the production of collagen and maintain the firmness of the skin. The anti aging benefits of amla keep our skin soft, supple and youthful.
How to use the anti aging benefits of amla
Here is how to reap the benefits of amla – mix together few tsp of almond powder, 2 tsp of sandalwood powder and 3 tsp of amla juice and then make a paste. Apply on your face, wait till it gets dry and wash off, Regular application of this amla juice will help to ward off wrinkles and fine-lines.
4. Benefits of Amla to treat Pigmentation
Being a rich source of Vitamin C, amla juice can deep cleanse the skin and reduces pigmentation. Here’s how you can utilize this amazing Indian gooseberry benefits for our skin –
- Mix together few tsp of amla powder and milk and then make a paste. Apply it all over the face evenly and wait for 40 minutes before washing off. This is an amazing home remedy to vanish blemishes and get even toned skin naturally.
- Applying pure amla juice all over the face with cotton also helps to reduce pigmentation. Simply apply the amla juice and wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off. This home remedy, when done regularly, helps to lighten the marks and reduce pigmentation.
5. Benefits of Amla to Repair Damaged Skin
Why to use amla to repair damaged skin
Here comes another amazing benefits of gooseberry for our skin. Amla benefits for skin includes its ability to speed up the healing process of damaged tissues. Amla juice has great healing abilities. It not only heals damaged skin, but also helps to combat dry and scaly skin problem.
How to use amla to repair damaged skin
Now check how you can reap this gooseberry benefits by making a simple pack. Mix amla juice with yogurt and turmeric and then use this paste on your face, neck and other exposed parts of the body. This home remedy will help to soothe sunburned skin and fade old and stubborn tan.
Benefits of Amla for Hair
Amla or Indian gooseberry is a miraculous ingredient for our hair. It also plays a vital role in enhancing the health and beauty of the hair making it thick and beautiful. Below we have discussed the best benefits of amla for hair.
6. Gooseberry Benefits to Stimulate Hair Growth
Why to use amla to stimulate hair growth
One of the most amazing hair benefits of gooseberry is its ability to promote hair growth. Vitamin C benefits of amla helps to boost collagen production which in turn stimulate hair growth. Along with vitamin C, amla is also loaded with various other anti oxidants. This anti oxidants benefits of amla is very effective in keeping the hair and hair follicles by combating the free radicals. Regular using of amla for hair care prevents hair breakage and split ends.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Almond Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use amla to stimulate hair growth
- Here is how to reap this amla benefits for hair – In a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp each of amla powder and shikakai powder. Add some water to get a smooth paste. Apply this hair mask all over the scalp and hair and allow it to sit for 40 minutes. First wash the hair with cold water and then also use a mild shampoo. You can also skip using shampoo as shikakai has cleansing properties.
- Take 2 eggs in a bowl and whisk them until it gets fluffy. Add half cup of amla powder and mix together to get a smooth paste. Apply it on to the hair and scalp and let it sit for an hour. Use mild shampoo and cold water to wash it off.
7. Benefits of Amla for Hair Strengthening
Why to use amla for hair strengthening
Next on our list of amla benefits for hair is this one. The high amount of vitamin C in amla is highly effective in dealing with issues such as hair thinning, baldness as well as weak hair. The various minerals, nutrients, amino acids and the antioxidants benefits of amla play a vital role in fighting against hair damaging factors.
How to use amla for hair strengthening
To make use of this amazing gooseberry benefits, mix together 1 tbsp of amla powder, half tbsp of henna powder and some water in a bowl. Apply it on the hair and then let it sit for 2-3 hours. Wash off with shampoo. This homemade hair pack can be used once a week. Apart from strengthening hair, this hair pack adds volume and stimulates hair growth. It also enhances hair color.
8. Amla to Prevent Premature Graying
Why to use amla to prevent premature graying
This is another great benefits of amla for our hair. The anti aging benefits of gooseberry is just not for our skin, but for our hair too. The high amount of antioxidants and all the other nutrients present in amla are highly effective in treating premature graying.
How to use amla to prevent premature graying
Check out the below mentioned remedies to know how to reap this amla benefits for hair.
- To utilize this amla benefits for hair, you can massage your hair with amla oil regularly.
- Soak a few dried amla in sesame oil or coconut oil for few days. Then use this oil to massage the scalp and hair.
- Regular consumption of amla juice is also quite beneficial to save our hair from premature graying.
9. Benefits of Amla to Prevent Dandruff
Why to use amla to prevent dandruff
Next on our list of gooseberry benefits for hair comes this one. The vitamin C benefits of amla again play a vital role here. Vitamin C has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties that prevent dandruff and the itching of the scalp caused by this. Amla is one of the best natural ingredient to cure dandruff.
How to use amla to cure dandruff
- This is how you can reap the benefits of amla for hair – Mix together 1 tbsp of amla juice and half tbsp each of lemon juice and water. Very gently massage this mixture in the scalp and leave it on overnight. Wash off with shampoo the next day. You can also repeat this twice a week.
- Mix 2 tsp each of shikakai and amla powder. Add some curd to this mixture to get a smooth paste. Apply it on to the scalp and hair and wait for 15 minutes before you wash off with mild shampoo and cold water.
- Make a paste by mixing amla powder in water. Next grind 10-12 tulsi leaves with some water and add this paste to the amla paste. Apply on the scalp and then leave on for about 30 minutes. Wash off with water.
10. Gooseberry Benefits to Condition Hair
Why to use amla as a hair conditioner
One of the best benefits of gooseberry for hair is its ability to condition our hair. Amla not only conditions our hair, but also nourishes and strengthens our hair strands.The result is shiny and voluminous hair glowing in health.
How to use amla to condition hair
Here is how you can utilize this benefits of amla for hair. You can simply mix some amla juice with henna powder and apply it on the hair. This will neutralize the drying affect of henna and give you healthy, shiny and bouncy hair with regular use.
Health Benefits of Amla
After discussing the benefits of gooseberry for our skin and hair, now we have entered the most interesting part of the article. We have already stated that amla is loaded with several nutrients as well as anti oxidants. Below we will check out what are the health benefits of amla.
11. Benefits of Amla to Control Diabetes
Let’s start our list of health benefits of amla with this one. Amla contains chromium, which is very effective for diabetic patients. Amla can stimulate insulin secretion which in turn helps in reducing blood sugar level in diabetic patients and also keep their body healthy. When the blood sugar level is reduced, the metabolism rate gets stronger and you have more energy. Chromium is also very beneficial for our heart health as it reduces the LDL or bad cholesterol level in the body.
12. Amla for Kidneys
This is another amazing benefits of amla. Amla is diuretic in nature. It means that consumption of amla increases the frequency and volume of urination. Urination is very helpful in eliminating the unwanted toxins from our body. It also removes the excess levels of water, salt and uric acid. Furthermore, urination helps to lose weight since up to 4% of urine is composed of fat. Hence, a diuretic substance is important to keep the kidneys healthy and preventing urinary infections. Being a diuretic ingredient, amla does this job very effectively.
13. Benefits of Amla in Digestion
Like most of the fruits, amla is also quite high in dietary fiber. Fiber, as we all know, helps the food move through the bowel and maintain regular bowel movement. This in turn, reduces the chances of constipation as well as diarrhea. The fiber benefits of amla also stimulates the secretion of gastric and digestive juices, which help in better digestion and better absorption of nutrients present in the food. This is definitely a great gooseberry benefits which can be enjoyed by regular consumption of amla juice.
14. Benefits of Amla to Boost Immunity
This is probably one of those benefits of gooseberry which is known to all. The antibacterial and astringent benefits of amla strengthens our immune system and protect us from several infections and common diseases. As we all know, amla is a rich source of Vitamin C and Vitamin C is a very powerful anti oxidant. Vitamin C also increases the count of white blood cells in our body which is very important for our immune system. The reason is that white blood cells attack and also remove the foreign toxins and other potentially harmful substances from the bloodstream. Winter is just around the corner. Eat amla juice or raw amla to enjoy this health benefits of amla and stay fit in this cold season.
15. Health Benefits of Amla for Heart
We are going to end this list of benefits of amla for our hair and skin with this one. Amla ensures that blood circulation remains uninterrupted throughout the body and the heart stays healthy. Chromium in amla helps in reducing the bad cholesterol level in the body and thus, reduces the chances of plaque buildup in arteries and vessels. Amla also contains iron. Iron is very effective in increasing red blood cells count, which in turn, ensures proper oxygenation of the organs and cells. More oxygen means cells grow healthy. Amla also promotes regeneration of tissues and keep the blood vessels and arteries clean.
These were some amazing benefits of amla, or Indian gooseberry, for our health, skin as well as hair. By now you must have understood that consuming amla in raw form or dried or in juice form work wonders for our health and beauty. Below you can find out few more astonishing benefits of amla.
Prevents formation of Gall Bladder Stone
Regular consumption of amla is quite beneficial in preventing the formation of gall bladder stone. Extra cholesterol in the body often cause stones in gall bladder. Amla contains chromium which helps to reduce the cholesterol level in the body. Plus the vitamin C benefits of amla convert cholesterol into bile in the liver and minimizes the chance of any gallstones.
Not only gall bladder stones, amla is also quite beneficial in prevention of ulcer as well. The anti bacterial benefits of amla helps to prevent ulcers. Amla consumption reduces the acidity level in the body and avoid ulcers. We often suffer from mouth ulcers. Lack of vitamin C is one of the primary reasons of getting mouth ulcers. We know that amla is rich in Vitamin C, hence it also helps to heal mouth ulcers.
Check – 7 Genius Mascara Tips Every Girl Should Know
Enhances Eye Sight
This is one of the lesser known benefits of amla. The vitamin A in amla has a positive effect in vision related conditions including those which occur from free radical activities. Vitamin A also helps to combat issues such as macular degeneration, night blindness and strengthen our vision as well.
Helps in Calcium Absorption
Many of us do not know about this astonishing benefits of amla. This fruit also helps our body to absorb calcium in much better way. As we all know, calcium is an essential component for healthy bones, teeth, and nails. Plus it also ensures that we have beautiful and lustrous hair. So, eating a vitamin C rich fruit like the Indian gooseberry, or amla is a great way to help our body to absorb calcium and look and feel great.
Amla is a Blood Purifier
Just like neem juice, amla juice is also a very powerful blood purifier. It also eliminates all the toxins from our body and purifies the blood. Furthermore, regular intake of amla juice increases hemoglobin and red blood cells which in turn ensures our tissues stay healthy. So, stop investing for those expensive, fancy detox drinks available in the market and start drinking amla juice daily.
I hope you all enjoyed this article on all the awesome benefits of amla for our skin, hair and health. Stay tuned for more such informative articles in the future 🙂