15 Top Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin, Hair and Health that You should Know – Take a look at the beauty and health products around you and you will find one common ingredient there, which is Aloe vera. The miraculous benefits of aloe vera for our health and beauty can be attributed for the extensive use of this amazing natural ingredient. Moreover, the Egyptians used to call it the ‘Plant of Immortality’ and it’s truly so! Aloe vera contains a high amount of Vitamins like A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E, and also folic acid. Plus it has minerals like copper, iron, sodium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, manganese etc. According to health experts, aloe vera is one of the most versatile herb that is safe to use both internally and also externally. Let’s find out the top benefits of aloe vera and various aloe vera uses for health and beauty.
Check – Easy Way to Make Aloe Vera Gel at Home in 5 mins
Before we find out all the aloe vera uses and benefits of aloe vera, first let’s check out some interesting facts about this amazing herb.
What is Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, scientifically known as Aloe barbadensis miller, is one of the approximately 420 species of the genus Aloe. As we already know, it is a perennial, xerophytic, succulent plant with triangular shaped green, fleshy leaves. The geographic origin of aloe vera is believed to be Sudan and also later it was introduced to Mediterranean region and other warm regions of the world, including countries like Africa, Asia, Europe, India, America etc.
There are two types of substances that we normally find in aloe vera leaves – Aloe vera gel which is a clear jelly like substance found in the inner part of the leaf and the latex that comes from under the plant’s skin. More than 75 potentially active components have been found in aloe vera, which includes vitamins, minerals, saccharides, salicylic acids, amino acids, enzymes, anthraquinones, lignin and saponins. Aloe vera also contains 20 of the 22 human-required amino acids and eight of the eight essential amino acids.
Check – How to Choose the Best Clay Mask for Your Skin Type
What is aloe vera called in different Indian languages?
- Ghritkumari in Hindi
- Kalabanda in Telugu
- Katralai in tamil
- Kumari in Malayalam
- Koraphada in Marathi
- Lolisara in Kannada
- Ghritakumari in Bengali
Now that we have known a little bit about this magical herb called Aloe Vera, lets find out some of the amazing benefits of aloe vera as well as various uses of aloe vera for health and beauty.
15 Top Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin, Hair and Health that You should Know
Following is the list of 15 amazing benefits of Aloe Vera for skin, hair and health based on scientific studies and research.
- Aloe Vera to moisturize Skin
- Aloe Vera for Anti Aging
- Soothe Sunburn using Aloe Vera
- Using Aloe Vera to Reduce Acne
- Aloe Vera to Minimize Stretch Marks
- Aloe Vera to Stimulate Hair Growth
- Reduce Dandruff with Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera for Hair Conditioning
- Treat Oily Hair and Oily Scalp using Aloe vera
- Aloe Vera to Boost Immunity
- Reduce Constipation using Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera to Reduce Cholesterol
- Prevent Cancer with Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera to Relieve Joint and Muscle Pain
- Aloe Vera to treat Mouth Ulcer
Benefits of aloe vera for Skin
So, let’s start our article with the benefits of aloe vera for skin and aloe vera uses for our skin.
1. Aloe Vera to moisturize Skin
Why to use aloe vera to moisturize skin
If you are looking for a non-greasy, non-oily moisturizer which will provide best moisturization to your skin, look no further than benefits of aloe vera. The best part of applying aloe vera on skin? If softens skin without clogging pores, and that’s why, even the sensitive skin type can use it safely. According to researches, aloe vera extract is one of the most effective natural substance that improves the hydration of our skin.
How to use Aloe Vera as a moisturizer
For this, you simply need an aloe vera leaf, peel off the outer layer and then collect the gel. Store it in a container and use this as your face and body moisturizer. It will hydrate the skin, heal the dry areas and also keep the skin soft and supple. This is one of the best benefits of aloe vera for skin. Store the aloe vera gel in the refrigerator to enhance its shelf life.
2. Benefits of Aloe Vera for Anti Aging
Why to use aloevera for anti aging
The next on our list of aloe vera benefits for our skin is to use it as a natural anti aging ingredient. It helps to prevent early signs of aging, like premature wrinkles and lines. In fact, the high antioxidant contents of aloevera can be attributed for this. It penetrates the skin deeply and can also moisturize it from within. One of the best benefits of aloe vera for skin is its ability to nourish the skin, thanks to its rich nutrients. Also, the polysaccharides present in aloe vera is very helpful in stimulating skin cell regeneration.
How to use Aloe Vera to prevent Aging
Make a moisturizing face mask with the help of aloe vera gel, olive oil and oats. Mix together 1 tsp each of aloe vera gel, uncooked oats and also add half tsp of olive oil. Make a paste and apply all over the face and neck. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and rinse with cold water. Regular application of this face mask will help you get youthful, softer and smoother skin.
3. Soothe Sunburn using Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to treat sunburn
Talking about aloe vera benefits and missing this out is impossible. One of the best benefits of aloe vera for skin is its ability to soothe sunburn. The cooling, soothing and anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera has made it an ideal after-sun treatment. According to some studies, topical application of aloe vera also helps to heal sunburn. The anti inflammatory properties brings down the redness of the skin. Aloe vera also has nutritional and antioxidant properties, plus it helps the skin to retain moisture which is important to heal sun damaged skin.
How to treat sunburn using Aloe Vera
- You can also apply freshly extracted aloe vera gel onto the affected area. No need to rinse off. It will penetrate into the skin and also help the skin to heal.
- Another aloe vera uses to treat sunburn, is by mixing it with lemon juice. All you need to do is to mix 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel with juice of half lemon and massage the affected area with it gently. Let it dry and then rinse off with plain water.
4. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Reduce Acne
Why to use aloevera to treat acne
This is one of the most amazing benefits of aloe vera for face. Its a natural anti bacterial agent which fight the bacteria that causes acne. Plus, its gentle cleansing and anti microbial properties are also very helpful to treat acne and pimples. The anti inflammatory properties reduce the redness of acne. Aloe vera contains couple of substances known as gibberellins and polysaccharides, that stimulate cell growth. It also works as an astringent to reduce pore size and regulate sebum secretion.
Check – This is How I use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Pimples
How Aloe vera can be used to treat pimples
- One can apply fresh aloevera gel directly on to the affected areas few times a day.
- Another way to use aloe vera for face is by preparing aloe vera ice cubes. Fill an ice cube tray with aloe vera gel and let it freeze. Take out a frozen cube and gently rub it over the affected areas to soothe and heal the skin. Repeat 2-3 times in a day.
- Make an aloevera face pack by mixing a tsp of aloe vera gel with half tsp each of honey and lemon juice. Apply this mix on to the acne affected area and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse off with plain water. Repeat twice a day.
5. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Minimize Stretch Marks
Why to use aloe vera to reduce stretch marks
Stretch marks look really ugly on the skin. It is quite difficult to get rid of stretch marks completely, but benefits of aloe vera can help to minimize their appearance. Other Benefits of Aloe Vera is that it has amazing moisturizing properties and it also helps to restore the skin’s elasticity and repair the damage.
How to use aloe vera to minimize stretch marks
Mix equal amount of rosewater and aloe vera gel. Apply onto the stretch marks and massage it gently for couple of minutes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. Repeat twice a day for faster result. This is one of the most amazing aloe vera benefits that one should definitely know.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair
Not only for our skin, but aloe vera benefits also works for our hair. It can promote hair growth, stop hair fall, soothe irritated scalp as well as control dandruff and flaking. Below you can check out some of the best benefits of aloe vera for hair.
6. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Stimulate Hair Growth
Why to use aloevera to stimulate hair growth
Promoting hair growth is one of the best benefits of aloe vera for hair. Aloe vera contains proteolytic enzymes, which help to repair the damage cells in our scalp and boosts faster hair growth. Also it stimulates dormant hair follicles and promote hair regrowth.
How to use Aloe Vera to stimulate hair growth
There are quite a number of ways to reap this aloe vera benefits.
- In a small bowl, mix together a cup of aloe vera gel and 2 tbsp each of castor oil and fenugreek powder. Once you get a consistent paste, apply it all over the scalp and hair. Make sure to focus on the hair roots. Wear a shower cap and use a blow dryer to add some heat and let the mixture penetrate well. Wait for an hour and wash off with mild shampoo and conditioner. Repeat this hair growth treatment 1-2 times per week.
- Another way to use aloe vera for hair growth is by mixing aloevera gel with honey. Combine together 5-6 tbsp aloe vera gel, 2 tbsp honey and some coconut oil. Apply this all over the hair, specially focus on the roots and the tips of the hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 30 minutes. Wash off shampoo and conditioner. Do this at least once a week.
7. Reduce Dandruff with Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to get rid of dandruff
This is one of the top benefits of aloe vera for hair. Dandruff is a common problem for both male and female. It often results in itchy scalp which is quite embarrassing. Aloe vera also helps to clear up the dead skin cells accumulated on the scalp, which often results in white flakes. Moreover, The anti microbial and anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera fight off the bacteria that causes dandruff and itchy scalp.
How to get rid of dandruff using Aloe vera for hair
There are a number of uses of aloe vera for hair, specially to treat dandruff.
- Mix aloe vera gel with coconut oil and heat this mixture over low flame for 30 minutes. Let it come down to room temperature. Massage it gently all over the scalp and hair. Then wait for at least couple of hours and wash off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Here is another anti dandruff hair mask to reap this benefits of aloe vera. Mix together 2 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel, one tbsp honey, 2 tbsp yogurt and some olive oil. Massage this paste all over the scalp for 15 minutes. Keep it on for another 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Use this hair mask once a week to get rid of dandruff effectively.
8. Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair Conditioning
Why to use aloevera for hair conditioning
Next on our list of benefits of aloe vera for hair is this one. Aloe vera gel is a powerful hair conditioner that provides nourishment for the hair strands from root to tip. When used on the scalp, aloe vera opens the pores which helps to exfoliate hair follicles as well as conditions the hair roots. The gel has a similar chemical composition to keratin, the primary protein in our hair cells. That’s why when applied topically, aloe vera gel penetrates the hair shaft and follicles and adds strength and luster.
How to uses aloe vera as a hair conditioner
- To reap this benefits of aloe vera for hair, simply apply some aloe vera gel on to the hair strands while they are still damp.
- Mix equal amount of water and aloe vera gel and transfer it in to a spray bottle. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil and your leave in conditioner is ready to use.
- Another way to use aloe vera for hair conditioning is by mixing the gel with lemon juice. Combine one-quarter cup of aloe vera gel, juice of half a lemon and 3-5 drops of essential oil of your choice. Apply the mix on freshly shampooed hair, leave it on for 3-4 minutes and then rinse off.
9. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Treat Oily Hair and Oily Scalp
Why to use aloevera for oily hair and oily scalp
This is another awesome benefits of aloe vera for hair. Oily hair and oily scalp trouble many of us. The unnecessary oil build up on hair and scalp often results in dirty, limp hair and itchy, dirty scalp. The astringent properties of aloe vera help to control sebum production on the scalp and controls the excessive oiliness of the scalp and hair without any dryness.
How to use Aloe vera to treat oily scalp and hair
- One of the best and easy way to reap the benefits of aloe vera for hair is by using an aloe vera rinse. Mix aloe vera juice and lemon juice in 1:2 ratio and then use the mixture as your hair rinse.
- Combine aloe vera gel, some lemon juice and a mild shampoo together. Apply this mixture on the greasy hair and scalp, wait for 10 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Health
Aloe vera is a magical herb which has been used traditionally in various cultures for its amazing health benefits. So, we can safely say that it’s not only the beauty industry, which is making full use of the various benefits of aloe vera, but the health industry is also quite obsessed with it. Lets check out some of the best aloe vera benefits for health below.
10. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Boost Immunity
Why to use aloe vera to boost immunity
Aloe vera is a rich source of antioxidants. Furthermore, the anti oxidants help to fight off the free radicals in our body and also protect our overall health. Furthermore, free radicals are basically unstable compounds that are bad for our health. Aloe vera juice has natural detoxifying properties that cleanse the digestive system and also the circulatory system. This also accelerates the absorption level of nutrients and results in better blood circulation. This way Benefits of Aloe Vera juice makes our cells healthy and ensure our body’s ability to fight infections.
Check – Homemade Sugar Scrubs for Healthy Skin
How to use aloe vera to boost immunity
Drinking aloe vera juice daily is the best way to reap all the benefits of aloe vera. You can get bottled aloe vera juice in the market and you can also make your own aloe vera juice at home if you have a plant.
11. Reduce Constipation using Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to reduce constipation
Other Benefits of Aloe Vera is that Aloe vera juice has natural fiber contents. It aids in digestion and also improves the bowel movements. The latex part of the aloe leaf has also laxative properties. The latex contains a compound known as aloin, which has laxative effects. However, there are concerns about the safety of using latex for our health and aloe vera juice is considered to be a safer option.
How to reduce constipation using Aloe vera
Drinking 2 ounces of aloe vera juice daily helps to get rid of constipation. This is one of the best benefits of aloe vera for health.
12. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Reduce Cholesterol
Why to use aloe vera to reduce cholesterol
This comes towards the top of the list of benefits of aloe vera for our health. High cholesterol is a serious health problem, specially in today’s lifestyle. However, aloe vera juice is a great, natural remedy that can reduce the cholesterol level and also regulate our blood pressure level. Clinical trials on Benefits of Aloe Vera have proved that it has the ability to reduce the concentration of cholesterol in our vital organs. Additionally, Benefits of Aloe Vera can bring down glucose level in our blood.
13. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Prevent Cancer
Why use aloe vera to prevent cancerous growth
Here comes another huge benefits of aloe vera. Aloe vera gel can also destroy cancerous tumors effectively and studies have proved it as well. According to studies published in International Immunopharmacology, the polysaccharides present in the aloe vera gel contain some effective macrophages, that can produce huge volume of nitric oxide that has antitumor properties. In naturopathy, there are a number of methods of cancer prevention, and surprisingly, the aloe vera based one has proved to be one of the most successful methods.
14. Benefits of Aloe Vera to Relieve Joint and Muscle Pain
Why aloe vera can be used in joint and muscle pain
The anti inflammatory Benefits of Aloe Vera are very much beneficial to provide relief from joint and muscle pain. Moreover, Aloe vera also contains a high amount of antioxidants that fight free radicals and help to deal with inflammation.
Check – 6 Amazing Epilator Tips for Best Results & Less Pain
How to use Aloe vera in joint and muscle pain
There are couple of ways to reap the benefits of aloe vera for our health.
- Applying aloe vera gel topically helps to reduce the inflammation and helps in pain relief.
- Consuming aloe vera juice regularly is also very helpful in reducing inflammation throughout the body and revitalizes our body.
15. Benefits of Aloe Vera to treat Mouth Ulcer
Why use aloe vera for oral health
We are going to end this list of the benefits for aloe vera with this one. Aloe vera works really well for our oral health. There are claims that aloe vera gel is as effective as any good toothpaste to maintain oral hygiene. Application of aloe vera patch or aloe vera gel can accelerate the healing of mouth ulcers. Mouth ulcer is quite a common oral problem which usually form underneath the lips, inside our mouth and lasts for about a week. Topical application of aloe vera gel over the affected area aids in healing the mouth ulcer.
That was a compilation of various benefits of aloe vera for our hair, health and skin. Aloe vera is an intregal part of my beauty regime, and I also consume aloe vera juice in regular basis. I hope you liked this post. Do share how you like to reap all the benefits of aloe vera in your daily life 🙂