Simple Tips to Reduce Skin Pigmentation Naturally – A beautiful face is an asset for everyone, but its not an easy task. Beautiful face starts with a beautiful skin and that’s where all the problem arises. Skin pigmentation is one of the major skin concerns. And in this post, I will talk about some simple but effective natural tips to lighten skin pigmentation. Almost all of us suffer from some amount of skin pigmentation. For some, it can be easily covered with concealer or color correctors, while for the others it’s not that easy. But why cover up when you can repair the damage? Moreover, mild skin pigmentation can turn into a serious problem if not addressed on time. So, do not take risk and check out the Simple Tips to Reduce Skin Pigmentation Naturally.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Onion for Skin, Hair and Health
Before we start exploring the natural tips and solutions to reduce skin pigmentation, lets first find out some facts about skin pigmentation, the types as well as causes of skin pigmentation.
About Skin Pigmentation
Pigmentation or hyper pigmentation is a condition that makes the skin dark. It normally happens in small patches, which means our skin tone loses its uniformity and looks patchy. Skin pigmentaion can happen in a particular part of our body, or can affect our entire body.
Check – 18 Surprising Jojoba Oil Benefits for Skin and Hair
Types of Skin Pigmentation
Skin pigmentation can be of four types and they are –
- Melasma – It normally happens during pregnancy. According to experts, melasma is the result of hormonal changes inside our body. Pregnancy changes hormonal level and can lead to melasma. It can affect the entire body, but commonly it appears on abdomen and face.
- Sun spots – As the name suggests, it is the result of frequent sun exposure. Sun spots commonly appear on the body parts that remain exposed to the sun normally, like our hands, face etc.
- Post Inflammatory Skin Pigmentation – This happens after any injury to the skin.
- Birthmarks – These are another type of skin pigmentation. Birthmarks are nothing but discolored skin spots or skin pigment that develops at birth or after birth. Some common types of birthmarks are moles and Mongolian patches.
Causes of Skin Pigmentation –
Let’s find out what are the main causes of skin pigmentation.
- Over Production of Melanin – This is the most common cause of skin pigmentation. We already know that melanin is a type of pigment that gives skin its color. Melanin, our skin pigment, is produced by skin cells known as melanocytes. The more melanin present on the skin, the darker the skin appears. There are certain factors that can actually alter the melanin production in our body.
- Too Much Sun Exposure – Frequent sun exposure or too much sun exposure over time can alter the production of skin pigment or melanin. When our skin is exposed to sun for a long period of time, it starts to produce more melanin. It does so to protect our skin from the harmful UV rays and this, in turn, causes sun tan and sun spots which are very common types of skin pigmentation.
- Cuts or Injury to the Skin – We all get minor cuts here and there in our daily life. And when the injury heals, you must have noticed a small cut mark on the skin. This is also a type of skin pigmentation. If the injury mark or the cut mark is small, it doesn’t bother us much, but the problem arises when there is a serious injury or a big cut that takes time to heal and even after it is healed, the darker skin that appears on top takes quite a long time to disappear.
- Hair Removal – It might sound little odd, but hair removal can also cause skin pigmentation. However, you don’t need to worry much because waxing or shaving won’t cause any skin discoloration. But bleaching as well as laser hair removal can damage the skin and make it look darker over time.
- Infections – This is another reason of skin discoloration. Infections happen when bacteria manage to enter through any cuts and wounds. It can change the texture of the skin and skin may appear white or red. Fungal infections like ringworm can results in discolored skin patches on various parts of our body.
- Genetics – For some individuals, skin pigmentation can be hereditary. If there is someone in the family who has or had severe skin pigmentation, chances are high that you can also suffer from skin discoloration.
So those were some of the main causes of skin pigmentation or skin discoloration. Now lets talk about the solution. There are medical treatments available to treat discolored skin, like laser therapy, chemical peel as well as topical creams. However, laser therapy and chemical peels are quite expensive and sometimes topical creams can have side effects on our health. But the good news is that there are several natural treatments available for skin pigmentation that are really effective.
Simple Tips to Reduce Skin Pigmentation Naturally
Below mentioned are few of the tips to treat skin pigmentation
1. Lemon Juice for Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Why to use lemon juice to lighten skin pigment
So the first one on our list of best natural tips for skin pigmentation treatment is lemon juice or lime juice. The citric acid present in lemon juice also has natural bleaching properties that help in lightening skin pigmentation. Vitamin C present in lemon juice boosts cell regeneration which also helps to reduce skin pigment. The antioxidant properties of vitamin C protect the skin from sun’s UV rays and also the free radicals that damage the skin over time.
How to get rid of Skin discoloration using lemon Juice
Here are couple of ways to use lemon juice for the treatment of skin pigmentation –
- Extract fresh lemon juice and with a cotton ball, apply it onto the skin, specially focusing on the pigmented areas of the skin. Leave it on for 12-15 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat this treatment daily for best results. However, if you have sensitive skin, do not apply lemon juice directly onto the skin, dilute it with some water and then use it on the skin.
- You can use lemon juice in another facial mask for skin pigmentation treatment. Mix together equal part of fresh lemon juice and raw, organic honey. Apply it directly onto the affected area of your skin and then place a warm towel on top of it. Wait for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with luke warm water. Continue this remedy once a week for several weeks to see desired result.
2. Use Papaya Juice for Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Why to use papaya juice to lighten pigmentation on face
Next on our list of best and most effective Tips to Reduce Skin Pigmentation Naturally is papaya juice. Papaya is great for our health and its equally effective for our skin. The papain enzyme in papaya facilitates skin exfoliation which helps in removing the pigmented layer of the skin and reveal clean and clear skin. Topical application of papaya is also a great way to lighten pigmentation on face.
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation with papaya
- Get a medium sized ripe papaya and grate it. Extract the juice and then apply it directly to lighten skin pigment. Wait till it becomes dry and then wash off with plain water. Repeat this treatment once or twice a day for at least a month to get best results.
- In a bowl, combine together 2 tbsp papaya pulp and 1 tbsp each of milk and organic honey. Apply it all over the face and let it dry. Rinse off with luke warm water. Doing this twice a day (once in the morning and once in evening or at night before going to bed) will be very helpful to lighten pigmentation on face.
3. Skin Pigmentation treatment with Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to lighten pigmentation on face
So aloe vera is a miraculous plant and no wonder it is considered as one of the best natural Skin Pigmentation treatment. Aloe vera gel is 99% water and the rest 1% contains powerful components including vitamins such as Vitamin A, C,E, sugars, enzymes, minerals, lignin, salicylic acid and amino acids. It has strong anti inflammatory properties that helps in lightening the blemishes and red spots on the skin. Aloe vera can also boost up our cell turnover that helps to lighten hyperpigmentation and skin discolorations. Also there is an compound known as ‘anthraquinon’ is found in aloe vera which is very helpful in lightening pigmentation on face and also brighten up complexion.
Check – Different Ways to Use Aloe Vera for Skin Whitening
How to get rid of skin discoloration using aloe vera
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 tsp aloe vera gel with 1 tsp organic milk and half tsp of honey. Apply this onto the skin and then massage gently. Leave it on overnight and wash off the next morning with normal water. Do follow this remedy regularly to lighten skin pigment. This is an amazing face pack that helps to control melanin production and lighten pigmentation on face.
- Mix some fresh aloe vera gel with some mashed papaya. Simply mash a small slice of papaya with the back of a fork to get mashed papaya. Apply the mixture of aloe vera gel and papaya on to the skin and then wait for 20 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat this skin pigmentation treatment 3-4 times per week to get effective result.
4. Reduce Skin Pigmentation with Potato
Why to use potato to lighten pigmentation on face
Raw potato is one of the best natural remedy for Skin Pigmentation. Potatoes contain an enzyme known as catecholase which can also help in lightening skin tone by controlling excessive melanin production.
How to get rid of skin discoloration using potato
- Take a small potato, peel and cut it in to thick slices. Take a slice and put a few drops of water on the surface and then rub it on your skin for 5-10 minutes. Wash the face with lukewarm water. Repeat this pigmentation treatment 3-4 times per day for at least a month to see desired result.
- Grate one medium sized potato and then squeeze out the juice. Add equal amount of lemon juice to it and mix well. Apply this resultant mixture on the affected areas and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat this twice a day for a month to see result.
5. Rosehip Oil Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Why to use rosehip oil for pigmentation treatment
Next on our list of the natural tip to reduce skin pigmentation is rosehip oil. Rosehip oil is a great natural cure for hyperpigmentation. It contains fatty acids such as omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids that also rejuvenate the skin. This oil is also rich in anti oxidants such as, vitamin C, E and pro vitamin A which protect our skin from free radical damage.
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation using rosehip oil
You can apply rosehip oil directly on the skin or can mix it with extra virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil has natural anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties that keep the skin clear and healthy. All you have to do is mix 5-6 drops of rosehip essential oil in a tbsp extra virgin coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in this oil mix and apply it on the pigmented skin. No need to wash off. Use this remedy twice a day for at least couple of months to notice significant reduction in skin pigment.
6. Treat Skin Pigmentation with Apple Cider Vinegar
Why to use Apple Cider Vinegar to lighten pigmentation on face
Apple cider vinegar has excellent astringent properties that proves to be very effective in restoring our skin’s natural color. It also contains beta carotene that also repairs the damage done to the skin by free radicals. The acids present in apple cider vinegar also helps in lightening skin pigment by exfoliating the skin and bleaching the dark spots.
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation with Apple Cider Vinegar
- In a bowl, mix equal amounts of ACV and water and rinse the affected area of the skin with this diluted ACV. Let it be there for 2-3 minutes and then rinse off with luke warm water. Follow this pigmentation treatment twice a day for several weeks to get noticeable result.
- Here is another natural way to reduce skin pigmentation using ACV. In a glass of warm water, add 2 tsp ACV and 1 tsp of organic honey. Drink this special solution twice a day – in the morning and at night for couple of weeks to get desired result.
7. Skin Pigmentation Treatment with Vitamin E
Why to use Vitamin E to Lighten Pigmentation on face
Vitamin E is one of the best natural solution for skin pigmentation. It is a fat soluble vitamin that has strong antioxidant properties. Also this Vitamin is very effective in tissue repair. We have already discussed above that melanin is the pigment that plays a vital role in skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation. According to studies, Vitamin E has skin de-pigmentation effect. It can also lighten the dark patches that have been caused by melanin accumulation. Below you will find out how to get rid of skin discoloration using Vitamin E.
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation with Vitamin E
- You can use a combination of Vitamin E oil and castor oil to improve the skin pigment. All you have to do is to puncture 2-3 Vitamin E capsules and then pour the content in a bowl and to that, add 3-4 drops of castor oil. Mix well and then apply the resultant mixture on the pigmented area of the skin. Do this at night before going to bed and rinse off in the morning. Follow this remedy daily to get rid of skin Pigmentation.
- Here is another simple way to use Vitamin E to lighten pigmentation on face. Prepare a homemade face mask with half cup of Fuller’s earth, one tbsp blended papaya and to this, also add two vitamin E capsules (follow the method stated above). Mix the ingredients together and apply it evenly on the face, leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat this once a week.
8. Apply Avocado to Lighten Pigmentation on Face
Why to use Avocado for skin pigmentation
Avocado is a wonder fruit for our health and we can say the same for our skin too. Researches suggest that avocado is one of the best fruit to fight ageing. Avocado contains a large amount of ‘sterolins’ which a type of protein. It helps to reduce aging scars, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, lighten dark patches, scars as well as treats sun damage. Moreover, the large amount of Vitamin E present in avocado also helps a lot with reducing skin discoloration and lighten pigmentation.
How to get rid of skin discoloration using avocado
- The easiest way to use avocado for lightening skin pigmentation is by mashing 1 ripe avocado and then apply it on the face as a face pack. Let it stay for about 20-30 minutes so that it can do its magic and then wash it off. Repeat this treatment 2-3 times per week for best results.
- You can also mix together tomatoes and avocado to lighten pigmentation on face. Mix half of a ripe avocado and half of a ripe tomato by putting them in a blender. Apply it on to the face and then let it dry out naturally. Wash off. This is a great anti pigmentation face mask for those with oily skin. The acidity in tomato also helps to balance out the richness of avocado.
9. Skin Pigmentation Treatment with Guava and Banana
Why to use guava and banana to reduce pigmentation
Guava is not only great for our health but it is also a wonderful fruit for our skin. Guava contains lycopene, which makes it one of the best natural remedies for pigmentation. It helps with hyperpigmentation as well as sun tan. Banana helps to exfoliate the skin and lighten the pigmented parts.
How to get rid of skin discoloration with guava and banana
Mix the pulp of guava and banana and apply the resultant mix on to the face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with water. Repeat this process everyday to see the improvement.
10. Cocoa Butter Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Why to use cocoa butter to lighten skin pigment
Stop worrying about your pigmentation and start using cocoa butter. Its a great natural remedy for skin pigmentation. It has amazing skin soothing properties due to its antioxidant components. Also cocoa butter is a great moisturizer that heals the skin and reduce pigmentation.
Check – Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm SPF 15
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation with cocoa butter
Simply smear some cocoa butter on those area which has pigmentation. Massage gently in circular motion for 20 minutes. Then wash off with plain water. Follow this remedy once or twice everyday until you see the result.
11. Strawberries for Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Why use strawberry for pigmentation on face
Strawberries are delicious and great for our health. These cute red fruits are loaded with antioxidants, astringent as well as anti inflammatory properties which are very effective in reducing the signs of aging and skin pigmentation. The Alpha Hydroxy Acid in strawberry in an excellent natural exfoliator that remove the dead skin cells from the face. Vitamin C boosts collagen production and keep the skin bright. Moreover the omega 3 fatty acids in strawberry lighten the complexion and also helps to get rid of dark circles and dark spots.
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation using strawberries
Take a handful of strawberries and put them in a blender. Get the pulp and take 2-3 tbsp of strawberry pulp in a bowl and add 1 tbsp lime juice to it. Apply this face mask on to the affected areas of the skin and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water. Do this regularly to get rid of skin pigmentation.
Take some strawberries and mash them with the back of a fork to get a smooth paste. Add 1/4 cup ripe banana to it. Put in a blender and add 1/4th cup yogurt and 1 tbsp honey. Mix everything together and apply on to the pigmented areas of the skin. Let it sit for 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
Skin pigmentation isn’t life threatening, but sure is embarrassing! And that’s why we have put together those 11 simple remedies and tips for skin pigmentation in this post. Hope you have liked them, don’t forget to share your feedback with us 🙂