Best Tips and Remedies to Grow Thick Hair Naturally – Our hair makes up an important part of our looks, the way this world sees us. That’s why, we lose our sleep once we notice hair thinning. Now, there can be several reasons behind hair thinning or hair fall, but with few natural remedies, you can grow thick hair once again. In this article, we are going to share few hair care tips as well as home remedies to grow thick hair naturally. When we first notice the signs of hair getting thinner, its really a heart-breaking discovery. And out of desperation, we start trying out so many different shampoos, hair oils, hair creams and what not, but with little or no result. So, instead of taking chances with your mane, check out these tips and natural remedies to grow thick hair.
Check – Most Effective Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall
Before we share the natural remedies for thicker hair, let us tell you few simple and basic hair care tips that you can combine with the remedies for best result.
Tips to Grow Thick Hair
Regular Scalp Massage
This is one of the most effective hair care tips that anyone can give you. Healthy hair starts from healthy scalp, and regular scalp massage ensures that your scalp stays healthy. Use any carrier oil of your choice for scalp massage and leave it on overnight. Wash off the next morning. Regular scalp massage boosts blood circulation in the scalp and nourish the hair follicles, which results in new hair growth.
Don’t Use Shampoo Every Day
Many of us think that washing our hair daily with shampoo helps in deep cleansing of the scalp, thus scalp stays healthy. But it can backfire us as well. Daily shampooing removes the natural oil from the scalp, thus makes scalp dry and itchy. Natural oils of our scalp help in nourishing the hair follicles, which can also be affected by daily shampooing. It’s okay to wash your hair with shampoo twice in a week.
Don’t Brush Wet Hair
Out of hurry, most of us start brushing our wet hair just after taking shower. However, this should never be done. When the hair is wet, even a slight pull can pick it up from the root, thus causing thinning of hair. So, if you have to brush wet hair, use a tangle teezer or wide toothed comb, and always start from the end part of the hair.
Avoid Heat Styling Tools
This is a must follow tip for overall healthy and strong hair. Regular and frequent use of heat styling tools reduces the thickness of hair strands and over time, hair loses its shine and smoothness. Hair appears dry, brittle and thin. So, say NO to heat styling tools, or at least use less frequently to minimize the hair damage.
Regular Trimming is Important
If you want to grow thick and long hair, go for regular trimming. Trimming your hair helps to prevent split ends, which can hinder our hair growth. By trimming your hair once in every three months, you can actually eliminate the reason that can stop your hair growth and creating an ideal environment for your hair to grow long and thick.
It is said “you are what you eat”, and this is more than 100% true. Your diet has a direct impact on your skin and hair condition. There are certain foods that you must include to your daily diet if you want thicker and stronger hair. Foods that are rich in vitamins and proteins can help us with hair growth. Check out 17 Foods for Hair Growth that You Must Know.
After discussing these few basic hair care tips, let us now share simple but effective Home Remedies to Grow Thick Hair Naturally.
Home Remedies to Grow Thick Hair Naturally
1. Use Onion Juice to Grow Thick Hair
Why to use onion juice for hair thickening?
Onion contains Sulfur, which is very important for boosting hair growth and hair strengthening. Our hair is made of keratin, which is a type of protein and keratin contains a high amount of sulfur. Sulfur adds strength and elasticity to our hair. Any deficiency of sulfur can lead to dry and brittle hair. Being a great source of sulfur, onion helps to fill up the deficiency. Also sulfur can boost blood circulation in the scalp, thus ensuring optimal nourishment for the hair follicles. This in turn stimulates the follicles to grow new hair. Along with sulfur, onion also contains quercetin, which has anti oxidant and anti inflammatory benefits. It fights off free radicals as well as creates a protective barrier against pollution and other harmful stuffs that can cause hair damage.
Furthermore, onion is a great source of biotin, a major vitamin which is essential for healthy, thick hair. Lack of biotin can cause hair dryness as well as excessive hair loss. Additionally, onion comes with various nutrients, such as vitamin C, manganese, phosphorous, folic acid, flavonoids, etc. that nourish the hair follicles and help to stop hair loss as well as promote hair growth, thus help to grow thick hair. The anti bacterial, anti septic and anti fungal benefits of onion keep the scalp healthy and free from several scalp conditions, like dandruff and other fungal infections on the scalp. These scalp conditions caused by fungal or bacterial attack can cause severe hair fall.
How to use onion to grow thick hair?
- Peel one medium sized onion and cut it into small pieces. Put them in a blender and blend to make a smooth onion puree. Take out the onion puree and squeeze properly to extract the juice. With the help of a cotton ball, apply the juice on the scalp and massage. Keep it on for 30 minutes and rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice every week.
- Alternatively, you can use a combination of coconut oil and onion juice to grow thick hair. First extract the juice from grated onion. Mix together two tbsp each of onion juice and coconut oil. Massage it on to your scalp for few minutes. Let it sit for another 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply once or twice in a week..
- Crush 6-7 garlic cloves to make a paste. Add the garlic paste to two tbsp onion juice. Mix together and apply it all over the scalp. Massage gently and then let it sit for 30-40 minutes before washing off. Repeat twice in a week.
2. Grow Thick Hair with Aloe Vera Gel
Why to use aloe vera gel for hair growth?
Aloe vera has been long used as a natural hair care ingredient. It contains natural enzymes that help in boosting hair growth and make hair healthy. Proteolytic enzymes in aloe vera exfoliates the scalp and eliminate dead skin cells build up from there, which can otherwise clog the hair follicles and stop hair growth. The alkalizing properties of aloe vera can help in maintaining scalp’s natural pH balance and accelerate hair growth. Being rich in vitamins and minerals, aloe vera works wonderfully to increase hair growth and help you grow thick hair. Furthermore the anti fungal properties of aloe vera keep the scalp healthy.
Aloe vera is a natural astringent, which helps in cleaning oily scalp. It eliminates the excess sebum and build up from the scalp which can otherwise leads to unhealthy scalp and stop hair growth. Dandruff can also cause hair loss, and aloe vera is known as one of the best natural remedy for dandruff. It helps in cleaning the scalp and destroy the excessive dead skin cells, thus treating dandruff and preventing future occurrence.
How to use aloe vera gel for thicker hair growth?
- Cut one aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from inside. Apply the aloe vera gel directly on the scalp and hair. Massage and then wait for another 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Extract onion juice from grated onion. Take 2-3 tbsp of onion juice and add that to a tbsp aloe vera gel. Mix together and massage it on to the scalp. Leave it on for an hour and wash off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once or twice per week.
- Separate the petals from 2-3 fresh hibiscus flowers. Clean them and make a paste out of them. Add 2 tbsp hibiscus flower paste to a cup of aloe vera gel. Mix together and massage the mixture on to your scalp and hair length. Let it stay for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply this treatment once or twice per week to grow thick hair.
- For this remedy, you will need aloe vera juice. Take 2-3 tbsp aloe vera juice in a bowl and add few drops of lavender essential oil as well as 2 tbsp coconut oil. Mix the ingredients nicely. Wash your hair first and then apply this mixture all over the scalp and hair. Wait for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply once or twice in a week.
3. Apply Honey to Grow Thick Hair
Why honey helps in hair thickening?
Honey is enriched with several vitamins, minerals, anti oxidants, amino acids, etc. It is a great source of vitamin B1, B2, B3 B5, B6 as well as minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc etc. These vitamins and minerals in honey helps to nourish the hair follicles, rejuvenate them and boost hair growth as well as prevent hair fall. Honey also deeply cleanses our scalp and removes product build up and impurities, that can otherwise block the hair follicles and cause hair fall. Also the powerful anti bacterial and anti septic properties of honey can treat any scalp infection and keep the scalp healthy.
Honey is the storehouse of multiple anti oxidants, which help to neutralize the free radicals as well as the effect of environmental factors and thus protect our hair and scalp from various damages. The moisturizing and humectant properties of honey nourish and moisturize the hair, making it thicker and more beautiful.
How to use honey to grow thick hair?
- Mix together two tbsp each of honey and olive oil. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds. Take it out and let it reach room temperature. Apply the hair mask all over the scalp and hair. Gently massage the hair roots and leave this hair mask on for 30-40 minutes. Use luke warm water and a gentle shampoo to rinse it off. Use once or twice in a week.
- Alternatively, you can combine together two tbsp each of aloe vera gel and honey. Apply the resultant mixture all over the hair and scalp, and leave it on for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week.
- Grate a medium sized onion and extract the juice. Add one tbsp of honey and 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil to the onion juice and mix together. Apply the mixture onto the scalp and hair and massage gently. Wait for an hour and then use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat twice in a week to grow thick hair.
4. Grow Thick Hair with Castor Oil
Why to use castor oil for hair thickening?
Castor oil is enriched with anti viral, anti oxidant, anti bacterial as well as anti fungal properties. This is why castor oil is considered extremely beneficial for hair care. Castor oil has deep conditioning benefits, which helps in rejuvenating dry, dull as well as damaged hair. The oil is a rich source of ricinoleic acid, which is considered highly beneficial for good scalp health. Regular application of castor oil can maintain the normal pH balance of the scalp, reduces the chances of dandruff as well as treats split ends and promotes healthy hair growth. Furthermore castor oil can boost blood circulation in the scalp and provide nourishment to the hair follicles to induce new hair growth. Being a natural humectant, castor oil absorbs moisture from the environment and locks it in the hair strands, which in turn makes hair look thicker as well as darker.
How to use castor oil to grow thick hair?
- Take some castor oil in your palm and rub it in between to warm it up a bit. Massage the oil onto the scalp and also apply some oil on to the length of the hair. Leave it on for couple of hours or if possible, overnight. Wash off with shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
- Mix together a tbsp each of castor oil, vitamin E oil and olive oil. You can extract vitamin E oil from vitamin E capsules. Massage this oil blend gently onto the scalp while giving special attention to the hair roots. Let it stay there for an hour and then wash it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Take castor oil and mustard oil in 1:1 ratio and mix them together. Apply on the scalp and hair and massage for few minutes. Wait for another 30-40 minutes. After that use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Use it once or twice in a week to grow thick hair.
- Crush 2-3 fresh garlic cloves and add them to 2-3 tbsp of castor oil. Keep it like this for 3-4 days. After that separate the oil and massage it onto the scalp. Also apply some oil on the length of the hair. Massage for 5-10 minutes and then keep it on for another couple of hours. Rinse off with a shampoo. Repeat this process twice in a week.
5. Use Curry Leaves to Grow Thick Hair Naturally
How curry leaves helps in hair thickening?
Curry leaves is a great source of various nutrients, such as, calcium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, phosphorous, proteins, beta carotene, iron, fibers, amino acids, carbohydrates and anti oxidants. All these nutrients are extremely beneficial to prevent hair thinning, improve the hair shaft and boost the overall health of our hair. This way curry leaves helps in increasing hair growth and makes hair thicker and stronger. Enriched with anti oxidants, curry leaves create a protective barrier on the scalp and hair and prevent damages caused by free radicals as well as environmental factors. Topical application of curry leaves helps in boosting blood circulation in the scalp. This in turn, stimulates the hair follicles and induce new hair growth.
Hair fall can sometimes be the result of product build up on our scalp. Curry leaves, when applied on the scalp, help to clear up such build up and restore healthy scalp as well as boost hair growth. Also curry leaves can improve the elasticity of our hair and repair the damaged hair.
How to use curry leaves to grow thick hair?
- Put some fresh curry leaves in a blender and add some water. Blend to make a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over the scalp. Massage and leave it on for 40 minutes to an hour. Wash it off. Repeat this 2-3 times in a week.
- Prepare curry leaves paste by following the same procedure described above. Grate one onion and extract the juice. Add two tbsp fresh onion juice to the curry leaves paste and mix together. Apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp. Let it stay for an hour and wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply 2-3 times in a week to grow thick hair.
- Add few fresh curry leaves to 2-3 tbsp sesame oil in a bowl. Heat the oil until the leaves turn black in color. Remove from the heat and let it reach room temperature. Strain the oil and then massage it onto your scalp and the length of the hair. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
6. Grow Thick Hair with Olive Oil
Why to use olive oil for hair growth?
According to a recent study, olive oil contains oleuropein, a special compound that boosts proliferation of cells during the formation of hair follicles, which help in better hair growth. Olive oil is enriched with essential nutrients which are vital for healthy hair growth. The vitamins and mono unsaturated fatty acids in olive oil help in strengthening the hair strands and prevent hair fall, thus adding thickness to hair. Olive oil is known for its extra ordinary moisturizing properties for our hair, thanks to its fatty acid components. The omega 6 fatty acids prevent moisture loss from hair as well as omega 9 make hair easy to manage.
Olive oil is also beneficial to moisturize the scalp and boosts blood circulation there. This in turn, rejuvenates the hair follicles and induces new hair growth. Sometimes, dandruff and other bacterial infections on the scalp can lead to thinning of hair. The anti microbial properties of olive oil fight off dandruff and other scalp infections effectively. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of olive oil help to prevent hair damages by free radicals and environmental stress.
How to use olive oil to grow thick hair?
- Take some olive oil in your palm and rub it in between to warm it up a bit. Spread the oil onto the scalp and massage for some time. Also apply some oil on to the length of the hair. Leave it on for couple of hours. Wash off with shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
- Take 3-4 fresh red hibiscus flowers. Wash them and separate the petals. Put the petals in a pestle and mortar and also add 2-3 tbsp olive oil there. Prepare a paste and apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and hair. Allow it to sit for 40-45 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to wash off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mix together 2-3 tbsp olive oil, a tbsp of lemon juice and some aloe vera gel. Apply the resultant mixture all over the hair, from the roots to the tips. Allow it to sit for 40 minutes to an hour and then wash off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat this remedy to grow thick hair twice in a week.
Tell us how this article on tips and remedies to grow thick hair has helped you. Looking forward to hear your feedback 🙂