15 Simple Home Remedies to Whiten Teeth Naturally – A set of sparkling white teeth can make your smile even more beautiful. But having yellow or stained teeth is really embarrassing! Thankfully, there are few amazing home remedies to whiten teeth naturally. And you will find them here in this article. Our teeth is the sign of our health as well as confidence. This is one of the first things that people notice about you. Having yellow or discolored teeth make us self conscious unnecessarily. We know how beautiful a smile looks with white, sparkling teeth, and that’s why, we opt for expensive teeth whitening treatment. But that’s not the only way out to get rid of yellow teeth. Below, we will discuss about the most effective home remedies to whiten teeth naturally.
Check – 20 Amazing Benefits of Parsley for Skin, Hair and Health
Having yellow teeth is annoying and disturbing for our self confidence. To treat the condition properly, we must first know the causes behind that.
What causes Yellow Teeth
The top layer of our teeth is white in color and known as ‘enamel’. Underneath the enamel, there is another layer which is pale brown or yellow in color. It becomes more visible when the enamel gets thinner. Furthermore, this thinning of enamel can be the result of several factors, including –
- Inadequate oral care
- Improper technique of brushing
- Excessive consumption of tea and/or coffee
- Smoking cigarettes
- Consuming processed foods which are high in acid, like soda and soft drinks
- Suffering from dry mouth
- Breathing through your mouth
- Excessive intake of fluoride
- Regular consumption of certain foods and drinks, like wine, heavy sauces, berries, pomegranate, etc.
Most Effective Home Remedies to Whiten Teeth
So, now that you are aware of the factors that can stain your teeth, lets now talk about the solutions. The home remedies to whiten teeth that we are going to discuss below are safe for our health and easily available in our kitchen. Find them out below.
1. Try Oil Pulling Method
This is one of the oldest home remedies to whiten teeth naturally. This helps to remove toxins from the body and improve your oral hygiene as well. Traditionally, sunflower oil or sesame oil is used for oil pulling method, but actually any oil would do. Coconut oil is a popular choice as it comes with significant anti bacterial properties. Moreover, the main aim of oil pulling method is to remove bacteria from the mouth that can turn into plaque and stain the teeth.
How to whiten teeth by oil pulling
Put one tbsp oil of your choice (coconut oil, sesame oil or sunflower oil) in your mouth and then swish the oil around your mouth. Continue doing this for 10-15 minutes and then, spit the oil. Repeat daily. According to few studies, daily oil pulling is very effective in reducing the bacteria present in the mouth and thus, preventing plaque and tooth staining.
2. Get White Teeth with Hydrogen Peroxide
Using hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective home remedies to whiten teeth. It has mild bleaching effect which helps in removing the unwanted stain from the teeth and also make them white again. However, one needs to be extra cautious while using hydrogen peroxide as it can irritate the gums and make the teeth sensitive.
How to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide
- Use a mouth wash that contains hydrogen peroxide on daily basis. But make sure not to swallow it.
- Alternatively, make a paste by adding some baking soda to hydrogen peroxide and then brush your teeth with the same. Use your regular tooth paste after that.
3. Use Baking Soda for White Teeth
The next one on our list of best home remedies to whiten teeth is baking soda. The slight abrasive nature of baking soda helps to remove the stain from the surface of the teeth. The alkaline nature of baking soda also reduces acidity inside the mouth and thus prevent the thinning of enamel. The anti bacterial properties of baking soda can kill bacteria and also prevent plaque and discoloration of teeth. Furthermore, baking soda prevents teeth from decaying and freshens breath by neutralizing the agents which cause teeth discoloration and bad breath.
How to use baking soda to whiten teeth
- Add a tsp of baking soda to a pea sized amount of your regular toothpaste. Use the mixture to brush your teeth. Rinse off with luke warm water and then repeat twice in a week.
- Mix together small amount of baking soda, fresh lemon juice and salt. Use the mixture to brush your teeth. Follow up with your regular toothpaste.
- Make a thick paste by adding some water to a tsp of baking soda. Brush your teeth with that. Rinse off with plain water and then repeat thrice in a week.
- Alternatively, extract gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf. Add few drops of vegetable glycerin to that. Also add a pinch of baking soda and then mix the three ingredients nicely. Use the mixture to brush your teeth. Continue brushing for few minutes and then rinse off with plain water. Repeat daily.
4. Whiten Teeth with Lemon
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C, which is known for its bleaching properties. When you use lemon juice on teeth, it also helps in lightening the discoloration. The citric acid content in lemon juice stimulates saliva production which help in cleansing the mouth. Furthermore, the acidic and anti bacterial properties of lemon juice eliminate the bacteria from the mouth and prevent oral diseases. Lemon juice also helps to freshen the mouth.
How to use lemon in home remedies to whiten teeth
- Make a mixture by adding a tsp of water to equal amount of lemon juice. Massage this mixture all over your teeth. Wash with water and then brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Add a tsp of baking soda and some hydrogen peroxide to fresh lemon juice. Mix well and then use this mixture to brush your teeth. Continue brushing for a minute or two. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water and repeat daily.
- Alternatively, you can add a tsp of salt to 2-3 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Use this mixture as a toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this for a minute or two and then let it sit for few minutes. Rinse your mouth with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Make a paste by mixing a tsp of mustard oil, half tsp salt and some lemon juice. Brush your teeth with this mixture for few minutes. Rinse your mouth with plain water. Repeat daily after brushing your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
5. Get White Teeth with Banana Peel
Next comes banana peel on our list of best home remedies to whiten teeth. Banana peel is a rich source of minerals like, potassium, magnesium and manganese, etc. These minerals help in teeth whitening.
How to use banana peel in home remedies to whiten teeth
Peel off a banana and then use the inner part of the banana peel to rub your teeth. Repeat daily for 2-3 minutes. Follow up with your regular toothpaste. This is one of the easiest home remedies to whiten teeth naturally.
6. Use Carrots for Teeth Whitening
Here comes a very interesting remedy to whiten teeth naturally. Carrot is a rich source of vitamin A which is essential for teeth enamel. It also helps in preventing the thinning of tooth enamel and thus help us to avoid the yellow stain on our teeth.
How to use carrots in home remedies to whiten teeth
Take 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice. Now cut one carrot in to small pieces. Dip a piece of carrot in the lemon juice and rub it on the teeth. Let the lemon juice sit on the teeth for 3-5 minutes and then rinse your mouth with plain water. Repeat once in a day.
7. Orange Peel Remedy for Teeth Whitening
Orange peel contains more amount of vitamin C than the fruit itself. It is also a rich source of calcium. As we already know, calcium is essential for healthy oral system. Both these ingredients help to eliminate bacteria from the mouth and also teeth.
How to use orange peel to whiten teeth
- Take off the skin from an orange. Dry it in the shade for some time. Use this to rub your teeth for few minutes. Rinse your mouth with water. Do this every night before going to bed.
- Crush few dried bay leaves and then make a powder. Take dried orange peel powder and bay leaves powder in 1:1 ratio and add some water to make a paste. Apply this on the affected teeth and then rub for few minutes. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with plain water. Repeat regularly.
8. Whiten Teeth with Basil
Basil is a wonderful natural ingredient for our overall oral health. It contains anti septic, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties, which prevent bacterial growth inside our mouth and thus help us to get rid of plaque as well as discoloration of tooth.
How to use basil in home remedies to whiten teeth
- Take few fresh basil leaves and then dry them in shade. Grind the dried basil leaves to get powder. Apply this on your teeth and then massage with your fingers. Continue doing this for couple of minutes. Rinse your mouth and repeat daily.
- Alternatively, you can mix dried basil leaves powder with your regular toothpaste and then use that to brush your teeth. Rinse off with plain water and repeat daily.
- Crush few fresh basil leaves and make a paste. Add some dried orange peel powder to the paste and then mix well. Cover your teeth with this for 15-25 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat daily.
- Here is another way to use basil for teeth whitening. Crush few basil leaves and then make a paste. Add few drops of mustard oil to the basil paste and mix well. Use this as a toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this daily.
9. Turmeric Remedies for Teeth Whitening
Not only for skin whitening, but turmeric is very beneficial for teeth whitening. Turmeric is a rich source of vitamin C as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, and selenium. All these nutrients are essential for strong, healthy teeth. Turmeric comes with anti bacterial properties, which kills germs and bacteria that causes gum and tooth problems. Furthermore, the anti inflammatory property of turmeric gives relief from the gum and other oral problems.
How to use turmeric in home remedies to whiten teeth
- Simply make a thick paste by adding some turmeric powder with water. Brush your teeth with this mixture and then wait for 3-5 minutes. Rinse your mouth with plain water and then brush again with your regular toothpaste. Repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, you can make a paste by adding a pinch of turmeric to some coconut oil. Use this to brush your teeth. Wait for 3-5 minutes and then wash it with plain water. Next brush again with your regular toothpaste. Repeat regularly.
- Get hold of few turmeric roots and then roast them for few minutes. Grind them to make a fine powder. Add some lemon juice and salt to the roasted turmeric root powder. Apply this paste on the teeth and then massage for few minutes. Let it sit for another few minutes and rinse off with water thoroughly. Repeat thrice in a week.
- Make a paste by adding half tsp turmeric and a pinch of salt to a tsp of mustard oil. Brush your teeth with this mixture. After brushing rinse it off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
10. Use Strawberry to Whiten Teeth
Next comes strawberry on our list of best home remedies to whiten teeth. Strawberry contains high amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C has bleaching properties that helps in getting rid of discoloration on the tooth. Strawberry contains malic acid as well, which also helps in removing stains from the teeth by performing chemical exfoliation.
Check – Homemade Strawberry Face Packs to Get Fair Skin Naturally
How to use strawberry to whiten teeth
- Cut one strawberry in half and sprinkle some baking soda over one half of the strawberry. Rub this on the teeth and then do this for few minutes. Rinse off with plain water and repeat daily.
- Take few strawberries, crush them and extract the juice. Apply the juice on the teeth and keep it there for a couple of minutes. Now brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste. Furthermore, rinse your mouth with plain water. Repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, add a pinch each of baking soda and sea salt to strawberry juice or pulp. Mix well and then apply this on the teeth. But before that, use a paper towel to get rid of extra saliva present in the mouth. Use a toothbrush to apply the mixture on the teeth and then let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse off with plain water and repeat regularly.
11. Get White Teeth with Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is a great remedy to get rid of yellowness on the teeth. The natural adhesive qualities of charcoal can absorb the tannins present in tea, coffee and wine, thus prevent plaque and discoloration of the teeth. The tannins present in tea and coffee often end up staining our teeth. Furthermore, charcoal has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. It also helps in eliminating bacteria and toxin build up in the mouth and boosts our oral health.
How to use activated charcoal in home remedies to whiten teeth
- Add a pinch of activated charcoal powder to your regular toothpaste. Mix together and then brush your teeth with the mixture. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with plain water. Repeat regularly.
- Mix together a tbsp of coconut oil and a pinch of activated charcoal. Brush your teeth with this mixture for three minutes. Rinse with plain water. Make sure no charcoal residue is left in the mouth. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix activated charcoal powder and sea salt in 1:1 ratio. Wet your tooth brush and then dip it in the mixture. Brush your teeth as usual and rinse your mouth thoroughly with normal water. Repeat this twice in a week.
- Combine activated charcoal powder and baking soda in 1:1 ratio. Wet your tooth brush and then dip it in the mixture. Brush your teeth for couple of minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly with normal water. Repeat this twice in a week.
12. Teeth Whitening with Aloe Vera
If you think aloe vera is only good for skin and hair, then check it out. It can even help you with teeth whitening. Aloe vera has anti bacterial properties which play a key role in eliminating bacteria from our mouth, thus preventing plaque and also reducing the chance of teeth discoloration. Moreover, it has anti inflammatory properties which help to improve our overall oral health.
Check – WOW Skin Science Aloe Vera Gel
How to use aloe vera in home remedies to whiten teeth
Cut one aloe vera leaf and extract the fresh gel from inside. Chop a few mint leaves finely and then add them to the aloe vera gel. Add a pinch of baking soda and few drops of glycerin and mix together everything. Apply this gel on the teeth with the help of a tooth brush and then let it stay for few minutes. Wash off your mouth completely so that no residue is left behind. Repeat the entire process on regular basis.
13. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Yes, you read that right! Apple cider vinegar can also help you to get rid of yellowness on the teeth. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, which is why it helps in thorough cleansing of the mouth. It contains acetic acid along with other compounds, such as potassium, magnesium, probiotics and enzymes, which kill the germs and bad bacteria and also boost our oral health. Furthermore, the natural acidic properties of apple cider vinegar helps to break down plaque or other substances stuck to the teeth and then provide thorough cleansing. The pH of apple cider vinegar helps in removing stains from the teeth and makes them whiter and brighter.
How to use apple cider vinegar in home remedies to whiten teeth
- Mix together two tsp each of apple cider vinegar and virgin olive oil. Dip your toothbrush in the solution and then allow to soak it up for some time. Now use that tooth brush and your regular tooth paste to brush your teeth. You can follow this remedy daily to make your teeth brighter and whiter.
- Using your finger, rub apple cider vinegar on the teeth for about a minute. Rinse thoroughly with plain water or a hydrogen peroxide solution. However, be careful not to use too much of apple cider vinegar. Since it contains acids, apple cider vinegar can remove the enamel of the teeth and make them sensitive.
14. Use Neem Oil to Whiten Teeth Naturally
Here comes one of the most effective natural remedy for teeth whitening. Neem is known for its amazing medicinal properties. It comes with anti bacterial, anti fungal as well as anti aging properties. It also helps in destroying the germs and bacteria inside our mouth and then minimizes the chance of teeth discoloration.
How to use neem oil in home remedies to whiten Teeth
Add 3-4 drops of neem oil to your regular tooth paste and use that mixture to brush your teeth. Continue brushing for a minute or two, and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with fresh water. Repeat daily.
15. Get White Teeth with Guava Leaves
Guava leaves is one of the traditional remedy to cure a host of dental problems, such as plaque, bad breath, infection as well as gum swelling. It contains flavonoids and phenols which protect our teeth from oxidative stress and play a vital role in removing stains.
How to use guava leaves in home remedies to whiten teeth
Take 2-3 fresh guava leaves and then crush them together to prepare a coarse paste. Rub this on the teeth for a couple of minutes and then, let it stay for few more minutes. Rinse your mouth with plain water and brush as usual. Repeat every alternate day.
So, here are our 15 simple yet effective home remedies to whiten teeth naturally. All the ingredients used here are easily available in every household and they are also safe for our health. That’s all for now, thanks for reading 🙂