Simple Home Remedies for Hair Breakage You Can Try – Who doesn’t love having a good hair day? But dry, brittle hair makes it difficult to achieve. And if not treated on time, dry hair can lead to hair breakage. We are going to share few simple home remedies for hair breakage. Hair breakage is basically when the hair shafts break from the middle or towards the end, causing split ends and also shorten the length of our hair. The hair ends are more prone to hair breakage, because the roots can still get the moisturization from the natural oils present on the scalp, but the hair ends miss out. This happens when you have dry scalp and dry hair as well. If you too are troubled with hair breakage, read below to find out the best home remedies for hair breakage.
Check – How to Use Coconut Oil for Dandruff Treatment
Before sharing the best home remedies for hair breakage, let us find out what are the main causes of hair breakage.
Causes of Hair Breakage
1. Moisture Loss
When our hair suffers from moisture loss and can’t get replenished nicely, it becomes dry and dehydrated. Dry hair is much more prone to breakage. Most of the time we end up picking up a wrong shampoo for the hair which can lead to dry and brittle hair. Hence, the experts suggest to start our hair care routine with the right shampoo and conditioner. We must remember that the ideal shampoo for dry hair must include ingredients that add hydration to the hair strands.
2. Hard Water
Many of us ignore this, but the water we are using to wash our hair actually has a major impact on the texture of our water. If you are subjecting your hair to hard water, chances are high that you might suffer from rough and dry hair. Hard water contains high amount of chlorine and heavy metals which are harmful for our hair. They can damage the cuticles, can make our hair highly porous and weaken the hair strands, which leads to hair breakage.
3. Frequent Heat Styling
It’s not a secret that too much heat styling actually ruins our hair health. When you subject your hair to frequent heat styling, it makes hair weak and more prone to damage. The condition gets even worse if you do not use any heat protectant. So, according to experts, do not use heat stylers more than once or twice in a week, and that too with a heat protectant on the hair strands.
4. Replace Your Cotton Pillow Case
You might not believe it, but your cotton pillow case can be the reason behind your hair breakage. Cotton pillow case causes more friction between your hair and the fiber, which can cause the hair to break off. So, use satin pillow case for less friction.
5. Avoid Towel Drying
Most of us tie up our hair in a towel after shower, but this actually can cause serious tangling and major hair breakage. So, avoid towel drying, and use a soft, old t-shirt instead to wring out the excess water from the hair.
6. Less Chemical Exposure
People, who expose their hair to chemical treatments frequently, are already aware that how difficult it is to maintain healthy and strong hair. Constant use of chemical on the hair weakens the hair strands and leads to hair breakage. Experts suggest that if your hair is severely damaged due to chemical treatment, cut your hair short. This will let your hair enjoy a fresh start all over and a chance to grow back to its original state.
7. Avoid Blow Drying Dripping Wet Hair
Many of us tend to blow dry dripping wet hair out of hurry. However, this should be avoided. Let your hair air dry for a bit and then use the blow dryer. Blot your hair with a soft towel and then use the heat styling tools, but not before using a heat protectant.
8. Do Not Skip Deep Conditioning
Deep conditioning treatment is essential if you want to stop hair breakage. Once in a week, go for an overnight deep conditioning treatment. This will help in strengthening the hair strands and leave behind a smooth film over the hair strands that won’t wash off easily.
These were the main causes of hair breakage. Now we will discuss the best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage. Check out below.
Effective Home Remedies for Hair Breakage
1. Coconut Oil Home Remedies for Hair Breakage
Why it works?
Coconut oil is one of the best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage. It has high penetration ability, thanks to its molecular structure. That’s why coconut oil easily enters through the hair follicles and hair shafts and helps in rejuvenating damaged hair by providing nourishment. Coconut oil is known for its great moisturizing and hydrating benefits for our hair. This is rich in medium chain fatty acids, which help in moisturizing and nourishing dry hair. The lauric acid, capric acid, and other essential fatty acids in coconut oil prevent protein loss, strengthen the hair roots and stop hair breakage.
Along with the MCFAs, coconut oil also contains vital hair nourishing nutrients. Being a natural emollient, coconut oil helps in locking the moisture in the hair strands as well as prevent excess moisture build up, both of these can lead to dry and porous hair. Also coconut oil has anti oxidant properties, which help to maintain healthy scalp as well as healthy hair.
How to use coconut oil in Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- Heat up 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil in a bowl and apply the warm oil all over the hair from roots to the tips. Massage with your fingertips for 5-6 minutes. Once done, cover your head with a warm, damp towel and wait for an hour before washing off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Combine a tbsp coconut oil with two tsp honey. Apply it on the hair from the roots till the ends. Cover your head with a warm, damp towel. Let the mask sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage twice in a week.
- Add a tbsp olive oil to equal amount of coconut oil. Heat up the oil blend slightly and massage it onto the hair with special attention given towards the ends. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes. Remove with a gentle shampoo and repeat once in every 2-3 days.
- Mix together aloe vera gel and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Apply the hair mask all over the hair from roots to the tips. Tie your hair up in a loose bun and leave the mask on for 30-40 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash off. Apply conditioner as well. Repeat this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage twice in a week to stop hair breakage.
2. Home Remedies for Hair Breakage Using Egg
Why it works?
Eggs are an amazing treatment for damaged hair. Eggs are full of proteins which help to repair the damage and restore healthy hair. Proteins help in adding nourishment to the hair strands, which in turn prevent dry hair as well as hair breakage due to same. Egg yolk is particularly beneficial to get rid of dry and rough hair. This benefit can be attributed to the presence of vitamin A in egg yolk. Vitamin A can increase sebum production from the oil glands present on the scalp, thus helping the hair to stay moisturized, soft and smooth. Also the healthy fatty acids in egg yolk moisturize and hydrate our hair, seal the open cuticles, thus making our hair smooth and avoid hair breakage.
Egg yolk is a great source of B vitamins, which are known for healing dryness. Vitamin E in egg, acts as an anti oxidant and helps in boosting blood circulation on the scalp, thus nourishing dull and dry hair strands. Furthermore, egg yolks come with lutein, which can maintain the natural elasticity of the hair. Lutein also helps to treat brittle hair, hair breakage as well as split ends. Egg white is rich in sulfur, which is another hair friendly essential nutrient. It supports Keratin and make our hair even stronger, thus less prone to hair breakage. Also egg is rich in L-lysine, which is a type of amino acid. It has a vital role in improving hair health. This amino acid helps in better absorption of iron and zinc – two vital minerals for great hair.
How to use egg in Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- Whisk one egg in a bowl. Add a tbsp each of olive oil and honey there. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply the hair mask all over the hair, covering from the roots to the tips. Allow the mask to stay on the hair for 30 minutes to an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week.
- Add two tsp mayonnaise to a whisked egg. Mix together and then apply this hair mask to the hair and scalp. Keep it on for 45 minutes to an hour. Wash it off using a mild shampoo and also apply conditioner. Repeat this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage once or twice in a week.
- Whisk one egg in a bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp each of cold milk and coconut oil to the whisked egg and mix everything together. Apply the resultant mixture all over the hair, covering every hair strands. Wear a shower cap to prevent dripping. Let the mask sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a gentle shampoo and cold water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Add 2 tbsp each of olive oil and almond oil to one whisked egg. Combine everything to prepare the hair mask and apply it all over the hair covering from roots to the tips. Leave it on the hair for 30-40 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Follow up with a conditioner and repeat this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage once or twice in a week.
3. Avocado Home Remedies for Hair Breakage
Why it works?
Next comes avocado on our list of effective Home Remedies for Hair Breakage. Avocados come packed with vitamins A, D, E and B6 as well as proteins, amino acids, magnesium, folic acid, copper, iron, etc. It provides a boost of deep conditioning and nourishment to dry hair and revitalize it. Avocado is rich in natural oils, which come with high penetration ability and can deeply moisturize the hair by penetrating the cuticles. The mono unsaturated fatty acids present in avocado can moisturize and nourish the hair strands, thus making them stronger and less prone to breakage. Also, these fatty acids can prevent moisture loss from the hair strands.
Not only mono unsaturated fatty acids, but avocado also contains phytosterols and high levels of antioxidants, which protect the hair and scalp from free radical as well as external damages. Topical application of avocado can unclog the hair follicles and keep the scalp healthy. Avocado is a great source of protein, which help to eliminate every trace of dryness and damage from hair. Along with that, avocado contains high amount of vitamin A. Vitamin A increases sebum production in the scalp and prevents dry and dehydrated hair. Plus avocado’s iron, vitamin E as well as biotin content help in repairing dry and damaged hair naturally, thus preventing hair breakage.
How to use avocado in Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- Cut one ripe avocado in half and remove the seed. Take out the flesh and mash it. Apply the mashed avocado on damp hair starting from the roots to the tips. Allow the avocado to sit on the hair for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and use a conditioner as well. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Make a hair mask by mixing together half of a mashed ripe avocado and an egg yolk. Apply the mask on the hair from roots till the ends. Keep it on for 40-45 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off and repeat this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage twice in a week.
- Mash one ripe avocado and add 2-3 tbsp of honey to that. Mix both the ingredients together and prepare a lump free paste. Apply it on the hair, covering roots to the tips. Once done, put on a shower cap and wait for 30-40 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo and luke warm water. Repeat once or twice in a week to prevent hair breakage.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of mayonnaise to one mashed avocado and mix both the ingredients together. Apply the hair mask on the hair from roots to the tips. Wear a shower cap and allow the mask to stay for an hour. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and also apply a conditioner. Reapply this Home Remedies for Hair Breakage once or twice in a week.
4. Home Remedies for Hair Breakage using Shea Butter
Why it works?
Shea butter is considered as one of the best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage. Shea butter comes with a high amount of saturated fats and fatty acids, which explains why it works so well in nourishing and conditioning our hair. The emollient properties of shea butter can lock moisture in to the hair strands and prevent dryness of the hair, thus stopping hair breakage due to the same. Also, shea butter is rich in vitamin A and E, both of which are extremely nourishing for our hair. Vitamin A boosts sebum production in the scalp, keeping the hair moisturized, whereas, vitamin E is an anti oxidant which helps in retaining moisture and protects the hair from several damages.
Vitamin E also protects the hair from UV damage as well as heat-styling damages. The anti inflammatory benefits of shea butter help to reduce scalp dryness and keep the scalp healthy. Regular application of shea butter not only treats dry hair and prevents hair breakage, but also adds softness and shine to the hair strands.
How to use shea butter to stop hair breakage?
- This is one of the simplest way to use shea butter to stop hair breakage. Take some shea butter (depending on your hair length) and melt it using a double boiler. Massage this on to the scalp and hair, giving special attention to the hair ends. Next cover your hair with a warm, damp towel and let the shea butter sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off using a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week.
- Using a double boiler, melt 2-3 tbsp of shea butter. Remove it from the heat and let it reach room temperature. Add two tbsp aloe vera gel and 1-2 tbsp vitamin E oil to the melted shea butter. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply this mixture on the hair, covering the roots till the ends. Let it stay on the hair for about 30-40 minute before washing off with a mild shampoo. Apply a conditioner as well. Repeat this remedy once or twice in week.
- Take 100 gm of shea butter and melt it using a double-boiler. Remove from the heat and let it cool down. Add some apricot kernel oil to the melted shea butter. Also add some rosemary oil and lemongrass oil. Combine all the ingredients together and spread the mask all over the hair, covering roots till the ends. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo, and repeat the entire process once or twice in a week.
- Melt 1-2 tbsp of shea butter. Remove from heat and wait till it reaches room temperature. Add some olive oil/coconut oil or any other carrier oil of your choice. Blend together and apply it on the hair, covering each and every strands. Let it sit for an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week to stop hair breakage.
5. Aloe Vera Home Remedies for Hair Breakage
Why it works?
Aloe vera is known as one of the best natural treatment for dry and damaged hair, hence no wonder that it has found a place in our list of best home remedies for hair breakage. Aloe vera has similar chemical composition to keratin, which is the primary protein in our hair cells. This helps aloe vera to penetrate the hair shafts deeply and repair the damage from within. Also, aloe vera is known for its amazing moisturizing properties. It works as a great natural hair conditioner and helps to get rid of dry and coarse hair, making your locks smoother and healthier.
Being rich in vitamins, minerals and other wonderful nutrients, aloe vera can nourish the hair follicles, as well as hair strands to make them stronger and thus preventing hair breakage. Regular application of aloe vera adds a sheen and luster to the hair strands and makes our hair look beautiful.
How to use aloe vera to stop hair breakage?
- Cut one fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from inside. You can add some water to the aloe vera gel for the ease of spreading. Apply this aloe vera gel on the hair from the roots till the ends. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and wash it off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and heat it up slightly. Remove from the heat and add some fresh aloe vera gel and one egg yolk to that. Blend all the ingredients together. Apply this on the hair, spreading all over the hair strands. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and remove with a mild shampoo. Reapply twice in a week.
- Add three tbsp yogurt and two tbsp of coconut oil to half a cup of fresh aloe vera gel. Mix together and apply the mixture all over the hair from roots to the tips. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it stay on the hair for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat twice in a week.
I hope you found these effective home remedies for hair breakage useful. Do you suffer from hair breakage? What is your go-to remedy for that? Let us know it all below in the comments 🙂