Top 12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff – Winter comes with its fair share of hair woes, and dandruff is one of them. So here we have come up with some of the best home remedies for dandruff. Dandruff, or medically known as seborrheic dermatitis is a common scalp disorder. The symptoms of dandruff are white flaky scalp along with itchiness. In fact, the main cause of dandruff is the growth of a fungus known as Malassezia. It causes itching along with formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp. A healthy hair care routine is very important to get rid of dandruff. Along with that, following few simple home remedies for dandruff also work. Natural remedies do take time to show result, but they fix the problem from the root. So, lets check out our Top 12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff.
Check – How to Use Neem to Cure Dandruff
Before we start with the home remedies for dandruff, lets first check out some facts about dandruff.
Facts about Dandruff
Dandruff is a harmless, chronic condition that occurs when the scalp gets too dry or too greasy and produces white flakes on the scalp. Though harmless, dandruff is embarrassing and it starts between the ages of 10 and 20 and normally affects up to 40% people over the age of 30.
Just like the skin on our body, the skin cells of the scalp are forming continuously and so, the shedding of dead skin cells are very normal. But due to dandruff, this shedding happens at a faster rate than normal. The oil secretion on the scalp leads to the clumping of these dead skin cells together and they appear as white flakes.
Check – How to Make Best Face Serum for Fair and Glowing Skin at Home
Apart from fungul infection, dandruff can be caused by a number of things, such as dry skin, sensitivity to certain hair care products, as well as different skin conditions, like psoriasis, eczema, etc. Another major reason of dandruff is overgrowth of yeast. This overgrowth can be caused by stress, hormonal problem, weak immunity system etc.
As we have already said, dandruff is a chronic condition, but it can be controlled by proper treatment. While medical treatments are available for dandruff, there are some tried and tested home remedies for dandruff, that work effectively. However, if these remedies do not seem to show result, even after couple of months, then one must consider seeing a doctor.
Check – 11 Best Hair Care Tips and How to Maintain Long Hair
12 Simple Home Remedies for Dandruff
So, lets start with our most trusted home remedies for dandruff.
1. Remedies for Dandruff with Neem
Why to use neem to get rid of dandruff
The first on our list of home remedies for dandruff is neem or Indian Lilac. The reason that neem is considered as one of the best tips to remove dandruff is due to its antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Neem not only helps to get rid of dandruff, but it also is a natural cure for several other hair and scalp related issues, such as scalp acne, itchy scalp and hair fall as well.
How to use neem to treat dandruff
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 cups of water. Strain the solution and let it cool down. Once it reaches room temperature, use this neem infused water as a hair rinse 2-3 times per week.
- Dry some neem leaves under the sun for few days. Crush them to a powder. Alternatively you can also buy neem powder from the market. Mix some of the powder with olive oil and make a paste. Apply this on to the scalp and leave it on for an hour. Wash off with a shampoo and follow up with a conditioner.
2. Coconut Oil Remedies for Dandruff
Why to use coconut oil to treat dandruff
Coconut oil is another best natural tips for dandruff. It has anti fungal properties which helps to remove dandruff. Dandruff often comes with dry scalp and itchiness. Coconut oil is an excellent to moisturize dry scalp and get rid of the itchiness. Lets find out couple of home remedies for dandruff using coconut oil below.
How to use coconut oil to cure dandruff
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl and add some lemon juice to it. The ratio should be 2:1. Mix both of them together and massage your scalp with this mixture for few minutes. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this remedy at least twice a week.
- Here is a scalp scrub recipe that can work wonders when used as Home Remedies for Dandruff. In a bowl, add 2 tsp each of coconut oil, olive oil, honey and 3 tsp yogurt. Mix together all the ingredients and form a paste. Apply this on to the scalp and gently massage. Don’t forget to apply some on to the lengths of the hair. Keep on massaging for 10 minutes and let it sit for another 30-45 minutes. After that, rinse off with a shampoo. We have already seen that coconut oil is effective against dandruff. Honey is also a great home remedies for dandruff, due to its anti microbial properties.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy for Dandruff
Why to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of dandruff
Here comes another great Home Remedies for Dandruff. Apple cider vinegar is very effective in eliminating dandruff. It restores the pH balance of the scalp which in turn prevents the growth of yeast. We have already mentioned that over growth of yeast is one of the major reasons of dandruff. Apple cider vinegar works as a great natural hair and scalp cleanser which cleans the blocked pores and hair follicles.
How to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff
- Mix equal amount of ACV and water in a bowl. Use this mixture as a hair rinse after washing your hair and scrub your scalp. Let it sit on the scalp for about 15 minutes and then wash off with water. You can also add 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in this mixture. Tea tree oil is another great natural treatment for dandruff.
- Take half cup of plain yogurt and add a tsp ACV to it. Mix thoroughly. Shampoo your hair as usual and then apply this mixture on to the scalp. Massage the scalp and wait for 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Follow this Home Remedies for Dandruff at least once a week to get effective result.
4. Home Remedies for Dandruff with Olive Oil
Why to use olive oil to eliminate dandruff
Next on our list of Home Remedies for Dandruff is olive oil. Its a very popular remedy for dandruff. Olive oil moisturizes the dry parts of our scalp that flake off continuously. Since olive oil can soak in to the thick and scaly areas on the scalp which cause persistent dandruff, and thus help them to loosen and release as a larger piece instead of small flakes. In this way, olive oil helps to treat dandruff permanently.
Check – 10 Best Homemade Face Packs for Skin Tightening You Must Try
How to use olive oil to cure dandruff
- In a bowl, beat the white part of one egg with two tbsp of olive oil. Massage your scalp and through the length of your hair. Cover the hair with a shower cap and wait for 20-25 minutes. Once the time has passed, wash the hair with a mild shampoo and use cold water to rinse off. Follow up with conditioner. Repeat this Home Remedies for Dandruff twice a week for better result. Egg whites helps to kill bacteria and infections and thus helps to keep the scalp dandruff free.
- Mix 1 tbsp each of olive oil and almond oil and massage it on to the scalp and the length of the hair. Massage for at least 10-15 minutes. Leave it on for another 30 minutes. For better result, leave it on overnight and wash off with a mild shampoo. Almond oil has anti inflammatory properties that soothe scalp irritations and dandruff.
5. Get Rid of Dandruff with Baking Soda
Why to use use baking soda to get rid of dandruff
Baking soda is a mild exfoliant. It helps to remove dead skin cells from the scalp and gets rid of the excess oil secretion that often cause dandruff. Applying baking soda on the scalp is also very helpful to balance the pH level of the scalp and reduce the growth of the fungi that cause dandruff.
How to use baking soda as home remedies for dandruff
- There are couple of Home Remedies for Dandruff using baking soda. Make a paste by mixing some baking soda and water. Wet your hair and massage this on to the scalp for couple of minutes. Wait for another couple of minutes. Rinse your hair with warm water. Repeat this remedy once or twice a week for few weeks for effective result.
- In a bowl, mix together 3 tbsp each of fresh lemon juice, baking soda and some ACV. Mix the ingredients together to make a paste. Apply this paste on to the scalp leave it on for about 10 minutes. Wash your hair with water.
6. Use Listerine Mouthwash to Eliminate Dandruff
Why to use Listerine mouthwash to cure dandruff
Listerine mouthwash is one the popular Home Remedies for Dandruff. It has anti fungal properties that effectively fight the dandruff causing fungus and prevent its growth.
How to use Listerine mouthwash as Home Remedies for Dandruff
Dilute 1 tbsp Listerine mouthwash in a bowl of water. Use any regular shampoo to wash your hair and then use this mouthwash-water mixture as a hair rinse. No need to use water further to remove this from the scalp.
7. Aloe Vera Gel Home Remedies for Dandruff
Why to use aloe vera gel to eliminate dandruff
Next on our list of Home Remedies for Dandruff is aloe vera gel. We know that aloe vera is a miraculous remedy for various skin and hair conditions. It is also effective against dandruff. Aloe vera has natural anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. Plus it also contains proteolytic enzyme which helps to break down proteins including dead skin cells. This is why aloe vera is considered as a great natural exfoliant for scalp which prevents dandruff formation. Below you will find couple of Home Remedies for Dandruff using aloe vera gel.
How to use aloe vera gel to cure dandruff
- Take an aloe vera leaf, cut it in to half and extract the gel. Apply it on to scalp, massage gently and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Another way to use aloe vera is by mixing 2-4 tsp of fresh aloe vera gel/juice and 1 tsp of olive oil/coconut oil and a cup of curd. When you get a paste like mixture, apply this on to the scalp and hair as a hair mask. Wear a shower cap and let it sit for about 30-40 minutes before rinsing off with water and shampoo. Repeat this Home Remedies for Dandruff regularly to control and get rid off dandruff.
8. Fenugreek Seeds Remedies for Dandruff
Why to use fenugreek seeds to treat dandruff
Talking about best Home Remedies for Dandruff and leaving out fenugreek seeds or methi is impossible. It contains various vitamins and minerals which has made it a great natural tips for dandruff. Moreover, the anti fungal properties of methi help to soothe irritated scalp and control dandruff to a great extent. Check out few Home Remedies for Dandruff using methi below.
How to use fenugreek seeds as home remedies for dandruff
- Soak 2-3 tbsp of methi in water overnight. The next morning grind them in to a fine paste and add few tsp of yogurt to it. Apply this all over the scalp and gently massage. Let it sit for few hours. Use plain water and shampoo to rinse it off. Repeat this once or twice a week for best result.
- Soak 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind them in to a paste the next morning. Add a tbsp of lemon juice to this and mix well. Apply this paste on to your scalp and hair and wait for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. Repeat this once a week.
9. Home Remedies for Dandruff using Fuller’s Earth
Why to use fuller’s earth to get rid of dandruff
If you have oily dandruff, then this is going to be one of the best Home Remedies for Dandruff. Fuller’s earth or multani mitti helps to absorb the excess oil, grease and dirt that cause dandruff. Furthermore, it improves blood circulation to the scalp which in turn can keep the scalp healthy and clean. Here we have come up with few simple Home Remedies for Dandruff using multani mitti.
How to use multani mitti to treat dandruff
- Take a cup of multani mitti and mix it with water to form a smooth paste. Add 2-3 tbsp lemon juice to this. Give it a good mix and apply this on to the scalp. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and wash off with plain water.
- Soak 6 tbsp methi in water for 12 hours and then grind them in a blender. Add 4 tbsp of multani mitti and 1 tbsp of lemon juice to the ground methi seeds. If required add some water and mix all the ingredients together to get a smooth paste. Use it on the scalp and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and condition hair as usual.
10. Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
Why to use tea tree oil to get rid of dandruff
Next on our list of best Home Remedies for Dandruff is tea tree oil. It has powerful anti fungal properties which help to eliminate dandruff. Moreover, it has excellent anti inflammatory properties and a higher rate of dermal penetration. Tea tree oil also acts as a great anti septic. All these benefits of tea tree oil has made it an excellent Home Remedies for Dandruff.
How to use tea tree oil as Home Remedies for Dandruff
- Take a little amount of shampoo and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it. Mix well and spread it all over the scalp and hair. Shampoo as usual. Wait for 5 minutes and rinse it off.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil to some olive oil or coconut oil. Mix well and massage your scalp with this oil mixture. Leave it on for 30-40 mins or overnight for better result. Use a mild shampoo to wash off the oil. This is one of the best Home Remedies for Dandruff. Repeating this once or twice a week gives excellent results.
11. Home Remedies for Dandruff with Yogurt
Why to use yogurt to get rid of dandruff
Yogurt or plain curd is one of the best Home Remedies for Dandruff. It is rich in Vitamin B5 and proteins which ar good for our overall hair health. The proteins present in yogurt helps to fortify and moisturize the hair and scalp and make it difficult for dandruff to survive. Furthermore, yogurt has anti bacterial properties which reduce the irritation and itchiness of the scalp. The probiotics in yogurt helps to eliminate dandruff quite effectively and makes it one of the simplest yet very effective Home Remedies for Dandruff.
How to use yogurt to cure dandruff
Below you will find out couple of very easy Home Remedies for Dandruff using plain curd or yogurt.
- Blend together a cup of curd and also take a couple of tsp of black pepper powder. When you get a smooth mixture, spread it on the scalp, specially on those areas that are affected with dandruff. Allow it to stay on for an hour or so and then, wash off using a mild, sulphate-free shampoo. Black pepper is also antibiotic in nature which makes this easy hair pack one of the best and most effective Home Remedies for Dandruff.
- You can also use the yogurt itself as a natural treatment for dandruff. All you need is a cup of plain yogurt. First shampoo your hair and rinse off thoroughly. Then apply the plain yogurt onto the scalp and gently massage. Leave it like this for 15 minutes. Then rinse off with water first, and use shampoo again to make sure there is no residue left behind on the scalp.
- A mixture of an egg and a cup of curd is another excellent Home Remedies for Dandruff. Combine a cup of plain yogurt with an egg to get a smooth paste. Then apply this mixture all over the scalp as well as onto the length of the hair. Allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes and then rinse off with a gentle shampoo. You can add lemon juice/tea tree oil/rosemary oil to the egg-curd mixture to avoid the unpleasant smell.
12. Use Honey to Get Rid of Dandruff
Why to use honey for treating dandruff
We are going to conclude this list of best and simple Home Remedies for Dandruff with honey. We already know about numerous benefits of honey for our health and skin, but when it comes to hair the use of honey is not widely known. Honey is considered as a great natural remedy for dandruff and also itchy scalp. In fact, scientific studies have proved honey’s strange power to cure chronic dandruff. The anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of honey can be attributed to for this. Furthermore, the anti inflammatory and wound healing properties of honey are also responsible for making it one of the best Home Remedies for Dandruff.
How to use honey for dandruff treatment
Here are couple of easy ways to use honey as Home Remedies for Dandruff.
- In a mixing bowl, take 1 tbsp each of honey and lemon juice and add half a cup of yogurt to this. Give it a good mix until you get a fine paste. Apply this all over the hair and also on scalp and then wait for 30 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo. Repeating this treatment 1-2 times per week will bring desired result.
- Take 5-6 garlic cloves and crush them in a bowl. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. After that, add 7 tbsp honey to it and mix both the ingredients nicely. Apply this mask onto your scalp and hair and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wash off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat this treatment once every week.
This was a compilation of a dozen of the best yet simple Home Remedies for Dandruff. Hope these natural treatments will help you to keep your hair dandruff free and beautiful this winter. What’s your favorite Home Remedies for Dandruff? Do share with us in the comment section below 🙂