Simple Home Remedies for Chapped Lips Everyone Can Try – Winter is a great time to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, comfy sweaters, soaking up in the sun. But unfortunately, winter also brings along chapped, dry lips. At times, even our favorite lip balm fails to deliver, and that’s when we need something extra. Here are few simple home remedies for chapped lips that you can try to restore healthy lips. Not only during winter, chapped lips can even trouble us all year around, and these Home Remedies for Chapped Lips will work for that as well. Our lips become dry when it loses moisture, and lips can lose moisture for many reasons. We are going to talk about them below. So, without any further delay, let’s get started with our article on Simple Home Remedies for Chapped Lips.
Check – Best Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Lips
Before we share our favorite home remedies for chapped lips, let us talk about the main reasons that can make our lips dry and chapped.
What Causes Chapped Lips?
The skin on our lips is thinner and more delicate than the rest of our body. And, it even doesn’t have any oil glands, which makes the skin (on the lips) even more vulnerable to dry weather, sun damage, wind, spicy food, etc. Surprisingly toothpaste or even nutritional deficiency can contribute to chapped lips. Check out here what are the main factors that lead to chapped lips.
1. Don’t Lick the Lips
Many of us have this habit of licking our lips often, and this is one of the culprits that dry out our lips. We think that the saliva will hydrate the lips, but this actually does the opposite. Human saliva contains two compounds, known as amylase and maltase. These two digestive enzymes end up irritating the sensitive skin of our lips and the result is dry, cracked and chapped lips.
2. Don’t Pick the Lips
When our lips get dry and flaky, many of us get tempted to pick out the dry skin of the lips. But please don’t do this, as this will only worsen the condition, and make your lips bleeding.
3. Stop Breathing through Your Mouth
This is a very ordinary thing, but it can also make our lips dry. Breathing through our mouth must be avoided. Try breathing through your nose.
4. Do Not Use Lip Balm with Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is definitely refreshing, but it can actually irritate our lips. A study done in Canada tested sensitivity to various ingredients in lip balm such as propolis, lanolin, almond oil, vitamin E, coconut oil and peppermint oil. Out of all the ingredients, peppermint oil has been tested to cause acute contact dermatitis.
5. Avoid Matte Lipsticks
Matte lipsticks do look beautiful, but in the long run, they are damaging for our lips. When we wear matte lip colors for hours, it end up drying our lips and with regular use, lips become chapped and flaky.
6. Check Your Food Habit
If your lips are dry, try to avoid spicy and salty foods. These types of foods end up irritating the skin on our lips and leave us with dry, chapped lips. Even citrus fruits, like orange, can do damage to sensitive lips. Experts say that when your lips are healing, avoid these kind of foods.
7. Weather Conditions
Weather conditions affect our lips badly. Freezing wind, extreme heat, sun damage, extreme dryness, etc. can irritate our lips and aggravate dry lips. Therefore, whenever you go out, do protect your lips in every way you can.
8. Be Careful about Your Toothpaste
Many at times, our favorite toothpaste can leave us with chapped lips due to the presence of artificial flavors and various synthetic ingredients like SLS. According to a study, SLS or sodium lauryl sulfate is one of the widely used detergents in toothpaste. It can end up drying our lips. So go for a natural toothpaste, which comes without SLS.
These are some of the reasons that contribute to dry lips. Below, we have discussed few all natural Home Remedies for Chapped Lips. These remedies will help you to flaunt soft lips even in dry and harsh winter weather.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
1. Home Remedies for Chapped Lips with Aloe Vera
Why it works?
Aloe vera is one of the most effective Home Remedies for Chapped Lips. It is known for wonderful moisturizing properties, which is the primary reason why aloe vera works so effectively to heal dry lips. It has anti inflammatory properties, which also helps to get rid of the chapped lips. Moreover the aloe vera gel is a great source of vitamins, minerals, anti oxidants as well as amino acids, which work wonders for our lips. Plus aloe vera gel is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water from the air all around it. When we apply aloe vera gel on the lips, it attracts moisture from the environment and locks it in the lips, thus making lips moisturized and hydrated.
How to use aloe vera in Home Remedies for Chapped Lips?
- Squeeze out aloe vera gel from a fresh aloe leaf and rub it on to the lips. Wait till it gets dry and then wash off. Repeat daily.
- Make a mixture by combining half tsp each of aloe vera gel and castor oil. Every night before going to sleep, apply this mixture on the lips and keep it on overnight. Wash off the next morning.
- Store some fresh aloe vera gel in a glass container. Add few drops of olive oil to this and mix both the ingredients. Store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. Apply it on the lips just like your lip balm. Use this Home Remedies for Chapped Lips several times in a day.
- Combine two tbsp of virgin coconut oil and a tbsp of pure and fresh aloe vera gel with the help of a hand blender until you get a fluffy, creamy mixture. Transfer it to an air tight container and store it in the refrigerator. Every night, before going to bed, take out a little amount and apply it on the lips. Massage a little just like you do with your regular lip balm. Leave it on the skin overnight.
2. Coconut Oil Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
Why it works?
Coconut oil works excellently to cure chapped lips. Being emollient in nature, coconut oil helps in preventing moisture loss from the lips. Plus the minerals present in coconut oil moisturize the dry lips and make them soft and supple once again. Coconut oil is a rich source of vitamin E. Vitamin E, being an anti oxidant, fights off free radicals that can also aggravate dry and chapped lips. The natural sun protection properties of coconut oil protect the lips from UV damage. Furthermore, the high amount of medium chain fatty acids present in coconut oil strengthen the lipid layer of the skin and prevent moisture loss.
The natural anti bacterial as well as anti fungal benefits of coconut oil prevent bacterial infection on the cracks of the lips, which can otherwise worsen the situation. Along with all these, the anti inflammatory benefits of coconut oil protect our lips from sun damage, infections, pollution as well as many diseases, which otherwise can make the lips chapped and flaky. Topical application of coconut oil is helpful in removing dead skin cells from the lips, thus soften them nicely.
How to use coconut oil in Home Remedies for Chapped Lips?
- Every night before going to bed, take some coconut oil and massage it onto the lips. Let the oil gets absorbed and leave it on overnight. Wash off next morning.
- Exfoliation is one of the best Home Remedies for Chapped Lips. Use this natural lip scrub to get soft lips. Add some sea salt to a tsp of solid coconut oil. Mix together and apply it on the lips, gently massaging in circular motion. Keep it on the lips for next 2-3 minutes. Wash it off with plain water and reapply this Home Remedies for Chapped Lips once in every 2-3 days.
- Crush some rose petals and make a thick paste. Add a tbsp coconut oil to that and mix together. Apply this to the lips, massage for couple of minutes and then wait for 20 minutes before rinsing off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- In a bowl, mix together a tsp each of coconut oil and glycerin. Apply the mixture on the lips and massage for 2-3 minutes. Keep it on the lips for another 10-15 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Here is another DIY lip scrub recipe using coconut oil. Mix few drops of each coconut oil and honey. Add this to a tsp of brown sugar and give it a good mix. Apply it on the lips and gently massage in circular motion for exfoliation. Leave it on for another couple of minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week to restore soft and supple lips.
3. Home Remedies for Chapped Lips with Rose
Why it Works?
If you want to give your lips some spa treatment, try these luxurious Home Remedies for Chapped Lips using rose. Rose or rose petals are known for their anti inflammatory properties. Topical application of rose petals paste give a naturally soothing feel to our lips. Also, rose is extremely hydrating, moisturizing as well as nourishing for the lips, due to the presence of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an anti oxidant, which regulates the free radical activities as well as provide a boost of hydration and moisturization to the lips. Rose is known for its lip softening properties and the pink tint of the rose helps the lips to retain its natural color. Rose petals contains rose oil, which is known for its nourishing properties. Also rose oil helps in quick healing of the lips and it protects the lips from infections due to its anti viral benefits.
How to use rose in Home Remedies for Chapped Lips?
- Put few fresh rose petals in a grinder and add some milk. Grind together to make a paste. Apply the same on the lips and massage for couple of minutes. Let it dry naturally and then rinse off with plain water. Repeat once daily.
- Combine a tsp of honey and 2-4 drops of rose oil. Apply the mixture on the lips and gently massage. Keep it on the lips for 10-15 minutes, Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice everyday.
- Prepare roe petals paste by grinding few fresh rose petals. Add a tbsp of rose petal paste with a tbsp each of butter and honey. Mix the ingredients to make a paste. Apply it on the lips and gently massage for couple of minutes. Wait for another 8-10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat this Home Remedies for Chapped Lips 2-3 times in a week.
- Crush some fresh rose petals and add them to few drops of glycerin and castor oil. Mix together and apply the mixture to the lips. Massage gently for couple of minutes. Wait for another 10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat daily.
- Put few fresh rose petals in milk and soak them for an hour. Next grind them to a paste. Add half tsp of honey to the paste. Optionally you can add some milk cream as well. Mix all the ingredients nicely and apply the resultant mixture on the lips. Gently massage for couple of minutes and let it sit on the lips for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat once everyday.
4. Honey Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
Why it works?
Honey is another amazing ingredient to cure chapped lips. A natural humectant, honey, absorbs moisture from the air and locks it in the lips. Also, the emollient properties of honey prevent moisture loss from the lips. Thus, honey works in two ways to ensure that the lips stay hydrated and moisturized. The natural enzymes in honey along with gluconic acid (an AHA) helps to exfoliate the lips and remove the dead skin cells from the lips and get rid of dryness. The nutrients present in honey, such as vitamin B and potassium, also play active roles in restoring soft and supple lips. Honey contains multiple anti oxidants, which neutralize the free radicals and protect the lips from dryness. Plus honey’s anti inflammatory actions help healing dry lips faster.
How to use honey in Home Remedies for Chapped Lips?
- Apply few drops of honey on the lips and massage gently. Let it stay on the lips for 10-15 minutes and then wash off. Follow up with a lip balm. Repeat everyday.
- Mix together equal amount of honey and milk cream. Apply the mixture on the lips and massage gently. Wait for few minutes and then rinse off with fresh water. Repeat daily.
- Make a concoction by combining equal amount of honey and olive oil. Carefully apply it all over the lips, gently massaging with your fingertips. Leave it on for 10-12 minutes before removing with a damp towel. Repeat daily.
- Take honey and aloe vera gel in 1:1 ratio and mix together. Apply this on the lips and gently massage with your finger tips. Wash off after 10-15 minutes. Repeat this Home Remedies for Chapped Lips every day.
- Add few drops of glycerin to a tsp of honey and mix them. Apply the mixture on your lips and wait for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Do this once or twice daily.
- Take a tbsp of sugar and add a tsp of honey and few drops of lemon juice. Mix them and use this to exfoliate your lips. Gently scrub your lips for 2-3 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Take a tsp of coconut oil and add a few drops of honey. Mix together and apply it on the lips. Massage gently for 2 minutes and wait for another 8-10 minutes before washing off. Repeat daily.
5. Home Remedies for Chapped Lips with Vitamin E
Why it works?
Known as the “beauty vitamin”, vitamin E is a great treatment for dry and chapped lips. It is a water-soluble vitamin, that comes with anti oxidant benefits. Vitamin E has amazing nourishing properties which helps to treat chapped lips from within. It is known for its rejuvenating benefits. As we already said, vitamin E comes with antioxidant benefits. It helps boosting new cell growth and thus, replacing the dry skin cells with newer and healthier ones. Being an anti oxidant, vitamin E blocks the free radicals and prevent skin damage. These free radicals often cause dry lips, as well as wrinkles and lines around the lips.
Vitamin E helps to smoothen the lip area and maintain the natural elasticity of the lips by boosting collagen production. Excessive dryness of the lips can make our lips look dark. Vitamin E has anti pigmentation benefits, which help to heal dryness as well as restore the natural color of our lips.
How to use vitamin E to cure chapped lips?
- Prick 1-2 vitamin E capsules using a clean needle. Squeeze out the oil from inside and apply it directly on the lips with your fingertips. Massage a little. Do this every night before going to bed and leave the vitamin E oil on the lips overnight. Wash off the next morning.
- Add a few drops of vitamin E oil to some glycerin and mix together. Apply the mixture on the lips and gently massage for few minutes. Wash off after 8-10 minutes. Do this twice every day until you notice any visible change.
- Take a tsp of fresh aloe vera gel and mix it with half tsp of vitamin E oil (extracted from 2-3 vitamin E capsules). Apply the mixture all over the lips and gently massage. Leave it on, or if there’s any stickiness on the lips, simply wipe it off with a damp towel after 10-12 minutes. Repeat twice every day to get rid of chapped lips quickly.
- The combination of honey and vitamin E oil works amazingly well to cure dry, chapped lips. Prepare a lip conditioner by mixing together few drops each of honey and vitamin E oil. Slather it on to the lips and wait for 5-6 minutes before removing it with a damp towel. Repeat once or twice every day for great results.
- Prick 2-3 vitamin E capsules and collect the extract in a bowl. Add some lemon juice there. Mix together and apply it on the lips. Massage a little and wait for 5-6 minutes before washing it off. Lemon juice will help to exfoliate the lips and get rid of the dryness. Repeat twice in a week.
- Here’s another way to use vitamin E as a remedy for chapped lips. Combine a tsp each of fresh milk cream and honey and massage it on to the lips. Let it stay for 10-12 minutes before washing off. Repeat every alternate day to get back your soft and supple lips.
6. Use Papaya as Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
Why it works?
Papaya contains ‘papain’, an enzyme which is responsible for most of the benefits that papaya has to offer for our skin. Papain is a protein dissolving enzyme that exfoliate the lips, removes dead skin cells and promotes skin regeneration, thus healing dry and chapped lips and restoring soft, smooth lips. Papaya is a great source of AHA, which help to exfoliate as well as nourish the lips and keep it moisturized. Also, papaya contains potassium, which is a great mineral to heal dehydrated lips. Not only dry
but papaya is also effective to treat pigmented lips.
How to use papaya to treat chapped lips?
- Mash a ripe and fresh papaya cube and apply it on the lips. Gently massage for couple of minutes with your fingertips and leave it on for another 5-6 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat every alternate day.
- Add a pinch of brown sugar to a tsp of papaya pulp. Also add some honey and mix together. Use the mixture to exfoliate the lips. Gently scrub the lips with this and then wash off. Repeat twice in a week.
These Home Remedies for Chapped Lips are super simple to prepare, and the best thing is they are all natural. So, go and choose your favorite remedy and flaunt those beautiful pouts once again.