Hi Everyone, Have you ever bought a new compact and ended up dropping it in hurry? so here is tips, How to Repair a Broken Compact. It happened to me recently one morning when I was getting ready for my work place. It was such a heart ache. I felt as if my almost 500 bucks have gone down the drain then a friend told me that it can be repaired and then both of us did some reading and research on internet to figure out how exactly can we fix it.
Honestly, we did this on experimental basis. I had not actually attempted it, ever before. So, was not really sure of the outcome. Thankfully, it turned out quite well, much to our surprise. Thanks to internet, we get to know about such tips and tricks. I thought, this is definitely worth a tutorial as I am sure, each one of us has experienced this at least once… The same technique can be applied for fixing a powder blush or eye shadow, too. Read on to know more…
Things needed to Repair a Broken Compact
- Plastic wrap (optional)
- Clean spoon / butter knife
- Surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol, it is readily available at regular drug stores. I was lucky enough to find it in the hospital, I work for. Saved some money :p
- Patience last it needs a couple of hours !!
How to Repair a Broken Compact
- Use the back of a clean spoon to uniformly powder or mash up the chunks of your broken compact to a loose powder. You are basically converting your compact from a pressed powder to a loose dusting powder, You may place a plastic wrap over it to avoid spillage. I did not feel the need to.
- After you have powdered the entire compact. Press it on the surface using the spoon to press and settle the powder back In the container. Have a look at the pics, you will figure out what I am talking about.
- After your powder has settled, pour one cap of surgical alcohol on the powder and let the alcohol seep through and wet your compact.
- Now again, smoothen the surface with your finger tip or a butter knife.
- Let it stay undisturbed for a couple of hours. You may air dry or sun dry your compact. The alcohol evaporates and the compact solidifies to assume a cake form, just like earlier.
It might retain some smell of spirit for a couple of days. You can keep it open to air and the smell would go away, eventually. The compact is perfect for use, texture and shade wise. Ideally, use it after a day or two when the entire spirit has gone.
This procedure would restore your broken makeup compact to it’s former state. However, you will not get it’s fragrance back. Still, I feel , it is a good bargain. Something is better than nothing 🙂
I really hope, you found this tutorial helpful. So go fix some broken goodies. Let me know about your outcomes, if you try it. Eagerly waiting for your comments 🙂