23 Must Know Benefits of Watermelon for Skin, Hair and Health – I think everybody loves watermelon during summer. It is not only super refreshing, but comes packed with nutrients. This article will talk about the benefits of watermelon for our skin, hair and health in detail. Watermelon is about 92% water, and for this reason, watermelon is a must have in summer. But if you are still not impressed enough, here is another fact for you. Each bite of this fruit can provide our body with significant amount of Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, lycopene, potassium, amino acids as well as anti oxidant. Furthermore, watermelon is fat free and low in sodium. Not only the red juicy part, but the white flesh near the rind, and even the watermelon seeds are nutritious, as per recent studies have found.
Check – How to do fruit facial at Home – Watermelon Facial
Before we go on talking about all the amazing benefits of watermelon for our skin, hair and health, lets first check out few facts about watermelon.
Facts about Watermelon
- Watermelon can be described as a fruit that belongs to Cucurbitaceae family, along with squash, cucumber, pumpkin etc. However, there is confusion between calling it a fruit and vegetable. Many people believe that it is both a vegetable and fruit. In fact, in China, people consume watermelon as a vegetable.
- Scientifically known as Citrullus lanatus, the exterior of watermelon is deep green or yellow colored thick skin and inside the flesh is juicy and red/pink/yellow in color. There are small edible seeds in the middle of the flesh.
- The fruit is believed to be originated in Southern parts of Africa. Watermelon was cultivated in Nile River Valley in Egypt and in China about 1,000 years ago. Currently, watermelon is grown around the world, with China being the largest watermelon producer in the world.
- The health and nutritional benefits of watermelon is largely dependent on its variety and ripeness. Beta carotene and lycopene can be found in high amounts in completely ripe watermelon. Researches have found that watermelon contains 40% more lycopene than tomatoes.
- There are more than 1200 varieties of watermelon available across the globe. Interestingly, the Japanese grow square watermelon.
Watermelon in Different Indian Languages
- Darbusini or Kummattikai or Thannimathai in Tamil
- Thannir Mathan or Kummattika in Malayalam
- Puchakayi or Tarbuja in Telugu
- Tarbuj or Phuti or Kakri in Hindi
- Tarmuj in Bengali
- Kallangadi or Kallachi or Karabooja or Kekkarike in Kannada
Nutritional Facts about Watermelon
Two cups of watermelon or a 280 gm serving size of watermelon contains –
Check – How to Grow Thick Eyebrows
Calories – 80
Fat – 0 gm
Total Carbohydrate: 21g (7%)
Dietary Fiber : 1g (4%)
Sugars : 20g
Cholesterol : 0mg (0%)
Sodium : 0mg (0%)
Potassium : 270mg (8%)
Protein : 1g
Vitamin A : (30%)
Vitamin C : (25%)
Calcium : (2%)
Iron : (4%)
Benefits of Watermelon for Skin, Hair and Health
There’s nothing more refreshing than a big, chilled wedge of watermelon on a hot, summer afternoon. But this fruit is much more than just refreshment. It has lots of benefits for our skin, hair and health to offer. So, lets get started with our list of benefits of watermelon for health as well as beauty.
Benefits of Watermelon for Skin
We are starting with the amazing benefits of watermelon for our skin. Check them below.
1. Removes Sun Tan
Yes, watermelon can be your savior if you are bothered by sun tan. Sun tan is unavoidable in summer, no matter how much sunscreen you apply. But you don’t need to worry as long as you have few watermelon cubes handy. Watermelon contains Vitamin C which plays a vital role in skin lightening. It helps to get rid of pigmentation, scars, marks as well as sun tan.
How to use watermelon to remove sun tan
- Take a few pieces of watermelon, remove the seeds and mash them. Add 1 tsp each of honey and yogurt to mashed watermelon and mix everything nicely. Apply the paste on the affected parts of the skin. Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water. The lactic acid and enzymes present in yogurt exfoliates the skin, removes dead skin cells and thus, helps to get rid of sun tan.
- Alternatively, you can apply fresh watermelon juice on the sun tanned parts of your skin, with the help of a cotton ball. Let it sit for few minutes and then, wash off with plain water.
- Here is another simple way to enjoy the benefits of watermelon to remove sun tan. Combine watermelon juice and honey in 1:1 ratio and apply it all over the face. Let it sit on the skin for 30 minutes and then, wash off using cool water. This is a great way to lighten sun tan naturally.
2. Pore Tightening Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is a rich source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A aids in decreasing the size of the pores on our skin which leads to less oil secretion. Oily skin beauties rejoice! This summer, watermelon juice can be your savior!
How to use watermelon juice for pore tightening
- Simply apply watermelon juice on the skin with the help of a cotton pad. This will revitalize and rejuvenate dull, tired skin.
- Alternatively, crush a few mint leaves using a blender. Add some watermelon juice to the crushed mint leaves and mix well. Put the mixture in the refrigerator so that it forms an ice cube. After few hours, take out the ice cube and rub it all over the face. This is a very effective natural remedy to tighten the pore size and improve your skin texture.
3. Acts as a Natural Toner
Watermelon has natural astringent properties, which makes it a great natural toner for the skin. Toner is essential to reduce the risks of acne and pimples and keep the skin healthy and beautiful. Watermelon helps in pore tightening which reduces the chance of breakouts. The high amount of water in watermelon keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized from within. Check out how to enjoy these benefits of watermelon below.
How to use watermelon as a toner
- For dry skin, combine watermelon juice and honey together and use the resultant mixture as a skin toner.
- If you have oily skin, add 2 tbsp witch hazel and 2 tsp water to a cup of watermelon juice. Mix together and apply this toner on the skin with the help of a cotton ball.
- Put one cup of watermelon chunks, half of an orange and one cup water in a blender. Blend together and then strain the mixture. Use the strained liquid as a face toner.
- If you have acne prone skin, mix watermelon juice and rose water and put the the mixture in the freezer to prepare ice cube. Rub the ice cube all over the face to control acne and blemishes.
4. Treats Acne
Next comes this one on our list of best benefits of watermelon for skin. Watermelon contains vitamin C, which is a great ingredient to treat acne and pimples. It also contains vitamin A, which plays a vital role in pore shrinking and reduces excess oil secretion. This in turn helps in controlling acne and blemishes. Furthermore, the anti oxidant benefits of watermelon fights off the free radicals and also keeps the skin healthy.
Check – 14 Different Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Loss
How to use watermelon to treat acne
- Extract the juice from fresh watermelon chunks and apply the juice directly on the affected parts of the skin with a cotton ball. Let it sit there for few minutes and wash off.
- Mix together cucumber pulp and watermelon pulp in 1:1 ration. Apply it all over your face and neck. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cool water.
- Add watermelon to your daily diet to enjoy this anti acne benefits of watermelon.
5. Anti Aging Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is a great source of anti oxidants, such as lycopene, vitamin A and vitamin C. Lycopene is a phyto nutrient, which is very effective in fighting off photo aging. It treats sunburn and wrinkled skin effectively. Vitamin C boosts collagen production, which in turn maintains the natural elasticity of the skin. Vitamin A is beneficial in fighting age spots. Furthermore, the diuretic benefits of watermelon help in flushing out toxins from the body and thus keep the skin healthy and youthful.
How to use watermelon for anti aging
Prepare a face mask by mixing 1 tsp each of crushed avocado and crushed watermelon. Apply it on the face and neck. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off with plain water. The omega 3 fatty acids in avocado help the skin to stay young and plump.
6. Gives Healthy Skin
The abundance of water in watermelon keeps the skin hydrated from within and prevents dryness. A well hydrated skin is essential irrespective of your skin type. It also contains vitamin C which helps with skin brightening and gives glowing skin. Furthermore the astringent benefits of watermelon keep the skin free from acne and pimples. As a result, we get healthy and beautiful skin naturally.
How to use watermelon to get healthy glowing skin
- Mash some watermelon cubes and then apply the pulp all over the face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with fresh cold water.
- Consume watermelon on daily basis to enjoy this benefits of watermelon.
7. Exfoliates the Skin
The natural acidic properties of watermelon makes it a great natural exfoliator for our skin. It removes the dirt, impurities and dead skin cells and also deeply cleanses the skin from within.
Check – Effective DIY Lip Scrub for a Super-Smooth Pout
How to exfoliate skin with watermelon
- Prepare a DIY scrub by combining watermelon pulp and gram flour. Apply on the skin and then massage for few minutes. Wash off with plain water.
- Put a cup of watermelon chunks, some sugar and lemon juice in a blender. Blend together to prepare a body scrub. Apply on the hands, legs and other body parts before taking bath.
- Blend half cup watermelon juice, one tsp crushed almonds and a quarter cup of yogurt by putting them in a blender. This mixture is a great way to exfoliate the skin and also boost blood circulation.
8. Removes Dark Circles
Watermelon is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C. Both these help in getting rid of dark circles. Vitamin A also helps in improving eyesight. Vitamin C has skin brightening abilities, which effectively reduces the darkness around the eyes.
How to remove dark circles using watermelon
Directly apply watermelon juice on the dark circles daily to get rid of them.
Benefits of Watermelon for Hair
After discussing the amazing watermelon benefits for skin, lets now check out how it is beneficial for our hair.
9. Prevents Hair Loss
We are starting our list of watermelon benefits for hair with this one. Vitamin C deficiency is a major reason behind hair loss. Watermelon contains a good amount of Vitamin C. It boosts collagen synthesis which is required for healthy hair growth. Vitamin C present in watermelon also provides sufficient amount of iron to the scalp and thus improves blood circulation in the scalp.
10. Boosts Hair Growth
Watermelon contains a high amount of citrulline, which is a phyto nutrient that increases the level of arginine in the body. Arginine is a type of amino acid which improves blood circulation in the scalp and thus promotes hair growth. This way watermelon can boost our hair growth. Furthermore, watermelon seeds contain high amount of B vitamins along with magnesium, copper, manganese, zinc, iron, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and omega 6 fatty acids. All these nutrients work together in keeping our hair healthy and beautiful.
How to use watermelon to boost hair growth
Mash a few watermelon cubes with the help of a fork. Add a tsp mayonnaise to it. Mix together to make a thick paste. Apply this on the scalp and hair. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
11. Healthy Scalp
The abundance of water in the watermelon keeps the scalp hydrated and also treats dry and itchy scalp. Moreover, watermelon juice has acidic properties which removes the scalp build up and impurities. This in turn unclog and strengthens the hair follicles and prevents hair loss. The abundance of vitamins and amino acids in watermelon provide nourishment to the hair from roots to tips.
How to use watermelon to get healthy scalp
Use some diluted watermelon juice as the final rinse after washing your hair with shampoo. Applying watermelon juice on the hair regularly can lead to soft and silky tresses.
Benefits of Watermelon for Health
That was some of the major watermelon benefits for hair. Next we are going to discuss benefits of watermelon for health.
12. Might Help Preventing Cancer
Researches have suggest lycopene in watermelon has the ability to reduce the risk of cancer, specially prostate, breast, colon, lungs and endometrial cancer. Lycopene is actually responsible for the characteristic red color of watermelon. It is a powerful anti oxidant which fights off free radicals and also keep the body healthy. A two cup serving of watermelon contains almost 20 mgs of lycopene. Also not to forget watermelon contains high amount of vitamin C, which also has anti oxidant properties.
13. Control Diabetes
Watermelon is a great food for those suffering from diabetes. The fruit is very low in calories and almost 99% of it is composed of water and fiber. Furthermore, the vitamins and minerals such as, potassium and magnesium is very beneficial in lowering blood sugar level. Also watermelon contains arginine, which is a type of amino acid that has been found very effective at enhancing the impact of insulin on blood sugar.
14. Treats Inflammation
Again you gotta credit lycopene here. According to an American study, lycopene has been found to have anti inflammatory properties. The beneficial effects of lycopene’s anti inflammatory properties are considered even better than beta carotene.
15. Good for Heart Health
Watermelon has lycopene in it, which has been found to improve cardiac functions. The fruit also comes with beta carotene in it which is known for its anti oxidants properties that prevent age related heart problems. Watermelon contain good amount of potassium as well which is known for its ability to cut down the risk of heart attacks. Also researches have found having a slice of watermelon daily can prevent the accumulation of bad cholesterol, which in turn, prevent heart diseases. Watermelon has citrulline in it. According to studies, citrulline has beneficial effect on atherosclerosis. It also can reduce arterial stiffness in women post menopause.
Check – 4 Different Ways to Use Mango for Beauty This Summer
16. Gives Relief from Sore Muscles
If you regularly suffer from sore muscles after workout sessions, then watermelon can give you some relief. The fruit contains high amount of electrolytes and citrulline, which are very beneficial to treat sore muscles after workout sessions. According to an Iranian study, citrulline in watermelon can reduce muscle fatigue. Citrulline in watermelon also can accelerate the process of lactic acid removal and thus can give relief from sore muscles.
17. Good for Eye Health
Next comes this one on our list of benefits of watermelon for health. Again you have to give credit to lycopene for this benefits of watermelon. It has been found to minimize the risk of macular degenerative disease. It has been suggested as a great treatment for eye disorders like macular degeneration. Also anti oxidants are very much essential for optimum eye health and we already know that watermelons are rich source of anti oxidants which fight off free radicals that otherwise can cause blindness as well.
18. Controls Blood Pressure
Watermelon is very beneficial in controlling blood pressure, thanks to the presence of potassium and magnesium. These two minerals in watermelon are effective in lowering blood pressure. Potassium is known for its ability to release tension on blood vessels and arteries and thus, it stimulate the blood circulation and also reduce stress on our cardiovascular system. Furthermore, watermelon contains carotenoids that can prevent the hardening of artery walls and veins and also help to reduce the risk of blood pressure as well as chance of blood clots.
19. Treats Asthma
Here comes another amazing watermelon benefits for our health. Studies have found that adequate intake of lycopene and vitamin A is beneficial for asthma patients. And by now, we already know that watermelon contains significant amount of both these nutrients. Lycopene also helps with our body’s reaction to cold and flu’s and what’s even more important, is that it can actually help to reduce asthma flare-ups in children. Studies have shown that, lycopene might have therapeutic effect on asthma.
20. Treats Kidney Disorders
Kidneys are very vital organs in our body. Watermelon comes with high amount of potassium, which is very effective in removing toxic deposits in the kidney. Furthermore, watermelon is extremely beneficial in reducing the concentration of uric acid in our blood and thus, reduces the risk of kidney damages. Also, watermelons are diuretic in nature, which means they induce urination and thus, keep the kidneys clean. And, not to forget, watermelon is high in anti oxidants, which fight off free radicals and maintain good health for the kidneys.
21. Good During Pregnancy
Watermelon is a great fruit to be taken during pregnancy. It can ease heart burn, which is a common condition during pregnancy. Also, the minerals present in watermelon can help in preventing muscle cramps associated with pregnancy. Furthermore, watermelon can also help to deal with morning sickness during pregnancy.
22. Aids in Digestion
Watermelon contains about 92% water, which is why it is considered very beneficial for our digestive health. Also, watermelons contain good amount of fiber which also boosts digestion and help to prevent constipation.
23. Aids in Weight Loss
If you are after losing the extra kilos, then do add watermelon to your daily diet. Watermelon is high in water content, which makes you feel full for a long time without consuming high calorie. Water is beneficial to boost our metabolism, which leads to losing extra calories. Also, water can flush out the toxins from our body, which also aids in weight loss.
There you have 23 amazing benefits of watermelon for our skin, hair and health. I hope this is enough to make you buy a watermelon next time you go for grocery shopping, right? Share your feedback with us below 🙂