Six Most Effective Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp Treatment – Come winter and many of us start our battle with dry, flaky scalp! In fact, some of us has to fight flaky scalp all year around. If no shampoo or other hair care products have worked for you so far, you have arrived at the right place then, as we are going to discuss few Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp Treatment here in this article. The most common cause behind flaky scalp is dryness. And our scalp can get dry for many reasons, such as dandruff, frequent hair wash, lack of moisturization, using harsh shampoos, dirt build up, psoriasis, eczema etc. Natural ingredients, that help in nourishing the scalp is a great way to treat flaky scalp. So, check out few simple yet effective Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp Treatment.
Check – 4 Fabulous Natural Hair Scrub Ideas for Beautiful Long Hair
Before sharing the effective and easy Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp Treatment, let us first check out what causes flaky scalp.
Causes of Flaky Scalp
Dandruff or Sebhorrheic dermatitis
This is the major reason that causes dry and flaky scalp. Dandruff makes our scalp look dry, but it is actually oily. According to experts, dandruff is caused when the sebaceous glands produce more oil and the excess oil prevent the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. As a result, the dead skin cells accumulate on the scalp giving it a flaky look, specially near the hairline.
Hair Washing Habit
A dry scalp can be the reason of your frequent shampooing or not enough hair washing. Most of us love using hair styling products on daily basis, like gels, creams, sprays etc. These products sit on the scalp and can form tiny flakes and if they are not washed off regularly, these flakes can get bigger and worsen the condition. In fact, many of these hair styling products contain harsh chemicals, which can lead to allergies or irritation on the scalp. Hence, regular hair wash is important.
However, do not get confused between regular hair wash and frequent hair wash. Frequent hair wash strip the natural oil of the scalp, leaving the scalp dry and itchy. The frequency of your shampoo depends on your activity level. If your hair comes in contact with dirt, pollution etc on daily basis, then shampoo your hair thrice in a week, using mild, SLS free formula. Normally, washing your hair twice in a week works for most.
This is another scalp condition where the skin on the scalp gets red and starts scaling. Usually, the scales are lot thicker than dandruff. Once must see a dermatologist in case of psoriasis, as prescribed medicines are required to heal this. Shampoos that contain salicylic acid or coal tar is considered to be beneficial in cases of scalp psoriasis, as these ingredients help to soften the flakes and remove them easily.
Check your Diet
We know that our diet or food habit has a direct impact on our skin and hair. If you have dry skin on the body, chances are high that your scalp is also dry and itchy. Add omega 3 fatty acids rich food to your diet, such as fish, flaxseed and certain nuts, that can help to get rid of dry skin. Taking fish oil supplements is also quite beneficial to fight off skin dryness. Zinc is also helpful to repair dry skin. Seafood, greens, meat, poultry as well as nuts are great sources of zinc. Also vitamin A is another important nutrient, that can improve our overall skin health by boosting blood circulation. Along with vitamin A, vitamin B and C are also important for healthy skin, including the skin on our scalp.
After learning about the major causes of flaky scalp, let us now move on to the solution. Below, we have discussed the best Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp treatment.
Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp Treatment
1. Use Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Flaky Scalp
Why to use coconut oil as Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
This comes on top of our list of best Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp. Coconut oil has deep moisturizing properties, which help in getting rid of dry, flaky scalp. It moisturizes the scalp and heals the dryness. Coconut oil is enriched with anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti microbial properties, thanks to the high amount of medium chain fatty acids in it. Due to this, coconut oil works effectively to remove flakes and restore healthy scalp. Due to the molecular structure of coconut oil, it can deeply penetrate the hair follicles and nourish them. This helps in preventing hair damage more effectively.
Coconut oil has natural anti oxidant properties, which play a key role in keeping the scalp healthy and nourished. This oil is a great source of vitamin E, vitamin K, lauric acid, capric acid, iron, etc, which work together to nourish the scalp and prevent flaky scalp. Regular application of coconut oil helps in boosting blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn, ensures that the scalp stays healthy.
How to use coconut oil in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
- Heat some coconut oil (according to your hair length and volume). Apply the warm oil on the scalp and gently massage for 5 minutes with your finger tips. Also apply some on the length of your hair. Cover your head with a warm damp towel and wash off after an hour. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Combine two tbsp coconut oil and a tbsp of neem oil. Massage your scalp thoroughly with this oil mix and also apply on the hair length. Leave it on the scalp for an hour before washing it off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat every time you shampoo your hair.
- You can replace neem oil with tea tree oil as well. Take some coconut oil depending on the length and thickness of your hair and add 3-4 drops of tea tree essential oil to that. Mix well and massage your scalp with this oil mix. Apply on the hair length as well. Keep it on for an hour and then wash off using a mild shampoo. Repeat this Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together 2-3 tbsp each of aloe vera gel and organic coconut oil. Apply the mixture all over the scalp and hair and massage thoroughly with your fingertips for few minutes. Let it stay on the scalp for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
2. Cure Flaky Scalp with Apple Cider Vinegar
Why to use apple cider vinegar in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
Often dandruff and other scalp infections can lead to itchy and flaky scalp. Apple cider vinegar has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties, which help to get rid of dandruff and other scalp infections, thus preventing flakiness. The anti inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar reduce the inflammation of the scalp caused by constant scratching. The natural enzymes present in apple cider vinegar deeply cleanses the scalp and remove the flakes. Also apple cider vinegar helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp, thus keeping the scalp healthy and preventing flakiness and other scalp problems. The natural conditioning benefits of apple cider vinegar also help to keep the scalp flake free. Sometimes, excess oil production in the scalp can also lead to flakiness. Apple cider vinegar, due to its astringent properties, can balance the oil production of the scalp and help in preventing the issue.
How to use apple cider vinegar in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
- Add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to a cup of aloe vera gel. Also add a tbsp of honey and mix the ingredients together. Apply this mixture on the scalp as well as hair and massage for few minutes. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes before washing off everything with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mix together a quarter of a cup of apple cider vinegar and a cup of distilled water. Then, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to it. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Once done, transfer the mixture to a spray bottle. Section your hair and spray it on each section until your scalp gets saturated with this. Cover your hair with a shower cap and then wait for an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
- Here is one of the post shampoo Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp treatment. Add a tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar to half cup of plain yogurt. Mix together and keep it aside. Shampoo your hair and squeeze out the excess water. Apply this mixture on to the damp scalp and hair and massage for few minutes. Keep it on for 15 minutes and rinse with fresh water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Brew a cup of chamomile tea and let it reach room temperature. Add a tbsp apple cider vinegar to it, mix together and set it aside. Next, wash your hair with a shampoo and apply conditioner as well. After rinsing off the conditioner, pour this chamomile tea and apple cider vinegar solution directly on to the scalp and hair. No need to rinse it off. Repeat once or twice in a week. This home remedies for flaky scalp also help to treat split ends and boost hair growth.
3. Apply Aloe Vera to Treat Flaky Scalp
Why to use aloe vera in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
Aloe vera comes with wonderful soothing and moisturizing properties, which makes it one of the best home remedies for flaky scalp. The anti fungal properties of aloe vera gives relief from dandruff and reduce the flakiness of the scalp. Due to the alkaline nature, aloe vera has the ability to restore the ideal pH balance of the scalp, thus keeping the scalp healthy and flakes free. Flaky scalp often cause a lot of itching. Aloe vera is anti-pruritus in nature, which means that it can give relief from itching as well as the anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera help in healing the inflammation of the scalp caused by constant scratching. Furthermore, the enzymes present in aloe vera deep cleanses our scalp and help to remove the flakes. Aloe vera comes with pectines and polysaccharides, which help to boost cell growth and restore healthy scalp.
How to use aloe vera in home remedies for flaky scalp?
- Cut one aloe vera leaf in to half and then extract the gel with a knife or spoon. Add few drops of water to the fresh aloe vera gel for easy spreading. Apply that on the scalp and massage gently. Cover your head with a warm, damp towel and wait for 30 minutes before rinsing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together 1-2 tbsp each of fresh aloe vera gel and yogurt. Add one tsp of olive oil and mix again. Apply this on the scalp and massage thoroughly with your fingertips. Keep it on for about 30-40 minutes. Rinse off using a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week to get rid of flaky scalp.
- Take two tbsp aloe vera gel and add a tbsp of neem oil to that. Mix together and massage this on to your scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and then use any mild shampoo to remove it all. Repeat this home remedies for flaky scalp twice in a week.
- Melt half of a cup of raw shea butter using a double boiler. Let it cool down a bit and add two tbsp aloe vera gel to that. Mix well and apply this mixture all over your scalp, massaging gently with your fingertips. Apply the rest of the amount on to the length of the hair. Keep it on the scalp and hair for about 30-40 minutes and then wash off using a mild shampoo. Reapply this once or twice in a week.
4. Use Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Flaky Scalp
Why to use lemon juice in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
Next comes this one on our list of best home remedies for flaky scalp. Lemon juice offers excellent cleansing properties, which helps in removing the flakes from the scalp. If dandruff is the reason for your flaky scalp, then lemon juice can be your savior. The powerful anti fungal properties of lemon juice fight off the dandruff causing fungus, thus giving relief from flakes and itchiness. Also vitamin C and citric acid present in lemon juice helps to get rid of flaky scalp. Lemon juice helps in restoring our scalp’s pH level, due to its acidic property. This in turn helps in preventing dandruff as well as flakiness of the scalp. Furthermore, the anti oxidants and essential vitamins in lemon juice help to maintain healthy scalp. The healing properties of lemon juice helps in giving relief from the inflammation on the scalp.
How to use lemon juice in home remedies for flaky scalp?
- Add a tbsp of lemon juice to two tbsp of coconut oil. Mix together and apply the mixture on the scalp and massage gently with your fingertips for few minutes. Once done, let it sit on the scalp for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together the juice of half of a lemon and 2-3 tbsp of aloe vera gel. Apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and massage thoroughly. Keep it on the scalp for 30-40 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Prepare neem paste by blending a handful of fresh neem leaves. Add juice of half of a lemon to the neem paste and mix well. Massage this paste on to the scalp and allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Combine 2 tbsp of yogurt and a tbsp of lemon juice as well as a tsp of organic honey. Mix all the ingredients and apply this all over the scalp. Massage gently for few minutes and allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this once in every 2-3 days.
5. Use Olive Oil to Cure Flaky Scalp
Why to use olive oil in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
Olive oil is not only a bliss for those with dry skin, but it also works as a savior for those with dry and flaky scalp. It is a natural moisturizer which helps to moisturize the scalp and reduce the flakiness. Olive oil is rich in vitamin E, and this vitamin is known for its super moisturizing property. It also helps to moisturize dry scalp and treat flakiness. The polyphenols present in the olive oil help in cleansing scalp deeply without imparting any dryness. The anti bacterial and anti fungal benefits of olive oil aid in dandruff treatment, thus giving relief from flaky scalp naturally. Olive oil is enriched with powerful anti oxidant properties, which restore healthy scalp as well as healthy hair. Along with that, vitamin A in olive oil increases sebum production in the scalp and soften the flakes, to remove them easily.
How to use olive oil in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
- Warm up some olive oil (depending on the length and thickness of the hair) and apply that all over the scalp and hair. Massage the scalp thoroughly and let it stay for an hour, before washing off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together olive oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Warm up the oil blend and massage it on to the hair and scalp, using your fingertips. Leave it on overnight or at least couple of hours before washing off with a mild shampoo. Reapply 2-3 times in a week for best results.
- You can also prepare a DIY scalp scrub with olive oil to remove the flakes from the scalp. Take 4-5 tbsp of brown sugar and add enough amount of olive oil to that, so that it takes the form of a coarse paste. Apply that on the scalp and rub gently to remove the flakes. Leave it on the scalp for 15-20 minutes and then, remove it all using a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week for visible result.
- Mash half of a ripe avocado and add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil to that. Also add a tsp of honey and mix all the ingredients nicely to prepare a smooth paste. Apply that on the scalp, massaging gently with your fingertips. Wear a shower cap and wait for 30 minutes before rinsing off with a shampoo. It helps in moisturizing the scalp and prevent flakiness. Repeat twice in a week for great results.
6. Cure Flaky Scalp with Yogurt
Why to use yogurt in Home Remedies for Flaky Scalp?
Yogurt works amazingly for dry and flaky scalp, thanks to its immense moisturization power. When used on the scalp, yogurt moisturizes and hydrates the scalp, thus reducing the flakiness and making it disappear over time. The probiotics present in yogurt help to treat any fungal infection on the scalp, including dandruff and gives relief from flaky scalp. Also, the anti inflammatory benefits of yogurt help to soothe the irritation and inflammation of the scalp Yogurt is a great source of lactic acid, which belongs to the AHA family. Lactic acid helps to exfoliate and deeply cleanse the scalp, thus removing the dandruff flakes. Plus, the anti oxidant benefits of yogurt also help to maintain healthy scalp.
How to use yogurt in home remedies for flaky scalp?
- Take a cup of plain yogurt and massage it all over the scalp and hair. Wear a shower cap and wait for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Add a tsp of honey and some lemon juice to half cup of plain, fresh yogurt. Mix together and apply on the hair and scalp. Massage the scalp gently and keep it on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing off. Reapply once or twice in a week.
- Mix together half cup of yogurt and 2-3 tbsp almond oil and massage it on to the scalp. Also apply some on the length of the hair. Wait for 30-40 minutes and wash off using a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Combine some honey and yogurt and massage it on to the scalp. Apply some on the length of the hair as well. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes before washing off. Repeat twice in a week.
Don’t let your flaky scalp stop you from enjoying the winter season! Bid adieu to dry and flaky scalp with these home remedies for flaky scalp. Let us know what do you think about this article, below in the comments box 🙂