12 Magical Home Remedies for Split Ends without Cutting Hair – 100% Effective – Hair with split ends is a dreaded sight. And so here we have come up with some of the best home remedies for split ends, and that too without cutting your hair. The term ‘split ends’ actually refers to splitting of hair shafts, specially at the end parts. The medical term that is used to describe split ends, is trichoptilosis. When we notice split ends, we normally think about heading to the salons, because that’s the most well known solution of split ends. But this article will surely change your mind. So read on to find out what are the best home remedies for split ends.
Check – DIY Hair Mask to Get Shiny, Silky, Soft and Smooth Hair in 1 Day
Let’s first find out what are the causes of split ends.
What Causes Split Ends?
Split ends is a type of hair damage that normally begins near the ends of the hair shaft. But that’s not all, splitting of hair can occur anywhere on the length of the hair. Yes, you can have ‘split ends’ even in the middle of the hair strands.
There are 4 common causes of split ends. The main cause of split ends is actually stress from several external factors, such as mechanical, physical and environmental. Physical and mechanical stresses can come in the form of improper de-tangling, brushing wet hair or excessive use of blow dryer.
Environmental stresses can cause from heat of summer sun, excessive dryness in the weather, pollution etc.
Split ends can also occur due to internal factors. Our diet, hormones, vitamins as well as mineral intake can have a direct impact on the strength of our hair. When hair becomes dry and brittle, split ends are quite obvious.
Other causes of split ends
- Frequent usage of hot styling tools
- Too much of chemical treatments
- Using cheap brushes or combs
- Excessive use of styling products, such as gels, waxes, sprays
- Lack of deep conditioning treatments
- Not trimming regularly
- Over washing hair with clarifying shampoos
- Poor quality hair care products
- Improper brushing technique
No matter how you have developed split ends, they are not going to disappear automatically. So here we are listing down some of the best and effective home remedies for split ends.
12 Magical Home Remedies for Split Ends without Cutting Hair – 100% Effective
It is always said that trimming is the best way to get rid of split ends. If not trimmed, it can continue splitting up the length of the hair. But trimming is not always the most preferable solution, specially when you are trying to grow your hair. You can take help of some home remedies for split ends that can help to control the situation. So, lets get started.
1. Egg Mask Remedies for Split Ends
Why to use egg masks to treat split ends
So the first one on our list of Home Remedies for Split Ends is this tried and tested one. We know that eggs work fantastic for our hair. Our mothers and grandmothers used to consider eggs as the best beauty treatment for hair. Therefore, no wonder that egg masks are also helpful in treating split ends.
Eggs are a rich source of protein and essential fatty acids. Our hair is primarily made up of protein. So egg masks are very effective Home Remedies for Split Ends as they strengthen the hair follicles, make the hair smooth and less tangles. Also they improve our hair’s resistance to breakage.
How to use egg to treat split ends
- Whisk an egg yolk in a bowl and add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of honey. Mix all these ingredients together and apply it on to damp hair. Make sure that there is no tangles present in the hair. Allow the egg mask to sit for 30 minutes and then rinse off by using a shampoo.
- Here is another Home Remedies for Split Ends using egg. In a bowl, whisk a whole egg and mix in 1 tsp of almond oil. Apply on to damp hair, let it sit for 20-30 mins and shampoo your hair a usual.
2. Treat Split Ends Using Avocado
Why to use avocado to get rid of split ends
Not only for our health, avocado is great for our hair too. Avocado is a rich source of vitamins, such as Vitamin A, D and E as well as iron, potassium, magnesium, amino acids etc, that help to restore life back to dull and brittle hair. Plus avocado contains a large amount of Vitamin H that helps to strengthen our hair and that’s why it is considered as one of the best Home Remedies for Split Ends.
Avocado mask is a great natural conditioner for our hair that forms a barrier and protects our hair from split ends and other damages.
How to use Avocado as home remedies for split ends
- Take a ripe avocado and mash it and then add 1 egg white to this. Mix well and apply this hair mask directly to the split ends and let it sit there for 20 minutes. Rinse off with water or shampoo if required. Repeat this Home Remedies for Split Ends once a week.
- Mash once ripe avocado and add 2 tbsp of each coconut oil and olive oil. Give it a good mix. Apply this hair mask on to the damaged part of your hair. Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse off this avocado hair mask and shampoo your hair as usual. These were couple of very effective Home Remedies for Split Ends using avocado.
3. Fix Split Ends Using Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera for treating split ends
Next on our list of Home Remedies for Split Ends is aloe vera. This is one of the most popular Home Remedies for Split Ends. Aloe vera is a great conditioner for hair. It protects the hair from becoming dry and brittle and thus helps to avoid split ends. Not only in split ends, aloe vera is a great natural remedy for most of our hair concerns such as dandruff and hair loss.
How to use aloe vera to treat split ends
Below you will find out couple of Home Remedies for Split Ends using aloe vera –
- All you have to do is to extract the gel from 1-2 leaves of aloe vera and apply on to the hair specially to the split ends. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and the shampoo your hair as usual.
- You can mix aloe vera gel with a tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of olive oil. You can also use castor oil or jojoba oil instead of olive oil. Apply this mixture on to the hair. Wait for some time and then wash off. Re-apply this Home Remedies for Split Ends 2-3 times per week for best result.
4. Remedies for Split Ends with Mayonnaise
Why to use mayonnaise to get rid of split ends
Mayonnaise is a thick creamy sauce which is prepared from egg yolks, vinegar and oil. Home made mayonnaise is one of the best Home Remedies for Split Ends. The egg, vinegar and the natural oils present in mayonnaise moisturize and nourish our hair.
Vinegar helps to maintain a healthy pH balance for our hair and restore damaged hair. The protein present in mayonnaise prevents hair breakage and helps to save our hair from split ends. Here are couple of effective Home Remedies for Split Ends using mayonnaise.
Check – 3 Simple Braided Hairstyle Ideas to Look Super Stylish
How to use mayonnaise as home remedies for split ends
- Simply coat your hair from root to tip with couple of tbsp of mayonnaise. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes. Then shampoo your hair and use luke warm water to rinse off.
- Prepare a smooth paste by mixing together 1/4th cup of mayonnaise, 3 tbsp almond oil, 1-2 eggs. Apply this paste in such a way that it coats every single hair strands and then wear a shower cap. Wait for an hour and then wash your hair properly with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Repeat this Home Remedies for Split Ends 2-3 times per week to repair the split ends.
5. Use Shea Butter to Treat Split Ends
Why to use shea butter to repair split ends
Next on our list of Home Remedies for Split Ends is shea butter. This is a kind of butter which is very nutritious for our hair and skin. It creates a perfect protective layer on our hair and prevent external damages. Shea butter is rich in healthy fat which nourishes our hair ends and prevents split ends.
Besides, shea butter has anti inflammatory properties that speed up the recovery process of split ends. Check out below how to use shea butter for Home Remedies for Split Ends.
How to use shea butter to repair split ends
- After washing your hair, apply some shea butter on your hair. One of the easiest way to do so is by putting some shea butter on the comb and then comb your hair. Let it sit few seconds and let your hair dry naturally. This is one of the easiest Home Remedies for Split Ends.
- Using a double boiler, melt 100 gm of shea butter. Let it cool down and then add 20 gm of apricot kernel oil. To this add 40 gm of cornstarch and 20 drops of lemongrass oil and 10 drops of rosemary oil. Mix all these well and apply this to the split ends for several times per month until you see desired result.
6. Banana Mask for Split Ends
Why to use banana to treat split ends
Bananas are one of the most popular Home Remedies for Split Ends. Banana is rich in carbohydrates, potassium and natural oils that nourish our hair and repair the damage. It helps to seal cuticles and get rid of split ends.
Also, it restores our hair’s natural elasticity and make it super silky and smooth. Banana is considered as one of the best remedies for dry hair because it has the ability to replenish hair of its lost natural oils and thus preventing dryness.
How to use banana to get rid of split ends
- In a blender, put one ripe banana, 2 tbsp of plain yogurt, little rose water and lemon juice. Mix all of them together to preparing banana hair mask. Apply this on your hair, Wait for an hour and then wash off. Repeat this Home Remedies for Split Ends twice a week.
- Take one ripe banana and one egg and mash them together. To this mixture, add a tbsp of coconut oil, 3 tbsp honey and blend all of them together. Apply this on the hair from root to tip, specially concentrating towards the ends. Let it sit for 30 mins and then wash off with cold water and shampoo. Apply this once a week until you get desired result.
7. Home Remedies for Split Ends Using Beer
Why to use beer to get rid of split ends
This is one of the best Home Remedies for Split Ends. We know that beer is good for our hair. But using beer for split ends is quite uncommon. Beer supplies sugar and protein to our damaged hair follicles which in turn repair the split ends. Also beer works as an excellent hair conditioner and it adds great volume to our hair.
Check – How to Use Beer for Hair
How to apply beer to repair split ends
One needs to use flat beer and not frizzy beer as Home Remedies for Split Ends. First shampoo your hair and then use beer as a hair rinse. Keep it on for 2-3 mins and then wash off thoroughly.
8. Split Ends Treatment Using Papaya
Why to use papaya for treating split ends
Here comes another amazing Home Remedies for Split Ends. Papaya is excellent for our skin and it works equally well for our hair as well. Papaya is enriched with amino acids and protein that make our hair stronger. It is an excellent natural conditioner for our hair that soften and strengthen our hair.
How to use papaya as home remedies for split ends
- Mash one ripe papaya and to this add a cup of each yogurt and mashed banana. Also add, a tbsp honey and coconut oil. Give it a good mix. Apply this mask on to the split ends and cover your hair with a shower cap for 30 mins. Wash your hair with clean water.
- Here is one of the best home remedies for split ends using papaya. Take one ripe papaya, remove the seeds and cut the papaya into little pieces. Add 1/2 tablespoon of honey and also 1/2 cup of olive oil and mix everything properly. Apply this papaya hair mask to the hair and scalp and leave it for about an hour. Rinse well using a mild shampoo. This works as a natural conditioner that keep your hair healthy as well as repair split ends.
9. Home Remedies for Split Ends Using Yogurt
Why to use yogurt to get rid of split ends
Next on our list of Home Remedies for Split Ends is yogurt. It is a great nutritious food that is great for our body and it also acts excellent for our skin. Yogurt is one of the best natural remedies for many of our hair concerns.
Yogurt is a great natural conditioner for our hair which provides our hair with enough moisture and prevents dehydrated hair. The lactic acid and fat in yogurt moisturize dry hair and get rid of split ends.
How to use yogurt as Home Remedies for Split Ends
- Take 2-4 tbsp of yogurt and apply directly on to the split ends. Massage gently and let it sit for 20 -30 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Reapply this Home Remedies for Split Ends once a week initially and then once in 2-3 weeks when the situation gets under control.
- Mix half cup yogurt, 1/4th cup of honey and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a bowl. And then apply the mixture to your scalp and hair. Wear your shower cap and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse off and let your hair dry naturally. Repeat this process twice a month to maintain soft, healthy hair. These are couple of Home Remedies for Split Ends using plain yogurt.
10. Get Rid of Split Ends with Coconut Oil
Why to use coconut oil to repair split ends
Here comes another super amazing Home Remedies for Split Ends. Coconut oil, hands down, is one of the best natural remedy to get soft, shiny, beautiful and healthy hair. Coconut oil is very common at every household, and that’s why we tend to ignore it most of the times. Due to its molecule structure, coconut oil penetrates hair shaft quickly and moisturize as well as nourish the hair from inside out.
Loaded with a high amount of vitamin E, lauric acid as well as capric acid, coconut oil helps to restructure dry and damaged hair and repair split ends. Check out below to find out how you can use coconut oil in Home Remedies for Split Ends.
How to use coconut oil to repair split ends
Take some coconut oil and massage your scalp and hair from root to tip. Let it stay overnight and the next morning, wash off with a mild shampoo. For better result, use slightly warm coconut oil to transform damaged hair into beautiful, healthy locks that can make everyone go ‘Wow’!
11. Black Lentil Home Remedies for Split Ends
Why to use black lentil for repairing split ends
This is one such Home Remedies for Split Ends, that many of us are unaware of. Black lentils are a rich source of proteins, iron, folic acid, phosphorus as well as fiber. Folic acid enhances the transportation of oxygen from blood to the hair follicles and thus, improve our overall hair health and repair damaged hair including split ends.
How to use black lentil to get rid of split ends
Blend together half a cup of black lentil and also one tbsp of fenugreek seed. Add in half a cup of curd and mix all the three ingredients nicely to form a thick paste. Apply this hair mask on the hair from root to tip, specially concentrating on the ends of the hair. Let it sit for at least an hour and then, wash off with a mild shampoo.
12. Treat Split Ends using Cocoa Butter
Why to use cocoa butter to treat split ends
Previously we have discussed how shea butter helps to repair dry and damaged hair and also helps to fix the split ends problem. Now we will see how cocoa butter helps to solve the woe of split ends. The high amount of fatty acids present in cocoa butter is very beneficial in treating dry and damaged hair and thus, helps to repair split ends.
How to use cocoa butter to fix split ends
- Apply a generous amount of cocoa butter onto your hair after washing and before they get dried. Massage gently, specially on the split ends, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off the butter and wash your hair with any mild shampoo.
- You can also prepare a hair mask using cocoa butter. Mix together 8 ounces of cocoa butter with 1 ounce of sesame oil and 2 ounces of jojoba oil. Make a thick paste. Then wet your hair and apply this hair mask onto the split ends of the hair. Let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse off. This mask can also be used as a hair conditioner after washing your hair with shampoo.
So these were a dozen of Home Remedies for Split Ends that will come handy specially when you are not ready to make the chop. Hope you found this post helpful, thanks for reading 🙂