How to Use Olive Oil for Hair Growth – Top 13 Natural Remedies – Whether you are suffering from hair loss, or just want silkier, softer and healthier hair, olive oil can do it for you. In this article, I will let you know different ways to use olive oil for hair growth. Hair loss is one of the modern age curses. Blame it on our hectic lifestyle, the polluted environment or unhealthy food habits, but the truth is that all of us have to deal with hair loss at some point in our life. Out of desperation, we start experimenting with a lot of hair care products and some of them backfire us! So, it is always better to resort to natural remedies. And olive oil is one such ingredient that is never going to let you down. Find out different ways to use olive oil for hair growth.
Check – Honey for Oily Skin
Before exploring all the different ways to use olive olive oil for hair growth and combating hair loss, let us check out why olive oil is regarded as one of the best natural oils for our hair.
Why Olive Oil is Good for Hair
1. Olive oil has amazing moisturizing properties for our hair as well as our skin. It is a bliss for those with dry, brittle and lack lustre hair. It is enriched with both omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids. The omega 6 fatty acids prevent moisture loss from hair. Omega 9 fatty acids can make hair softer and easy to manage.
2. The same moisturizing properties of olive oil can keep away scalp dryness as well. When applied on the scalp, it provides moisturization and nourishment to the scalp, gives relief from the dryness as well as itchiness due to dry scalp.
3. Olive oil has anti microbial properties which help to fight off dandruff and other scalp infections caused by fungus or bacteria. Many at times, these types of fungal infections lead to severe hair loss and prevent hair growth altogether.
4. The essential nutrients present in olive oil along with its mono unsaturated fatty acids strengthen the hair strands from roots to the tips. This way, it helps to prevent hair fall.
5. Also, massaging the scalp with olive oil boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn nourishes the hair follicles and encourages them to grow thicker hair strands.
6. Olive oil comes loaded with anti oxidant properties. It helps fighting off the free radicals that can damage our hair as well as scalp.
7. One of the major factors that lead to hair loss is raised level of DHT hormone. DHT or dihydrotestosterone hormone can attack the hair follicles directly and weaken them, which can lead to hair fall. Chronic stress, hormonal imbalance as well as disturbance in body’s sugar levels can cause increased production of DHT hormone. Olive oil, when consumed on regular basis, can normalize the DHT production and stop hair fall.
Check – 6 Common Hair Oiling Mistakes We All Make
How to use Olive Oil for Hair Growth
After a brief discussion on the benefits of olive oil for hair, let us now find out different ways to use olive oil for hair growth.
1. Consume Olive Oil
Olive oil has been gaining popularity as a cooking oil and for all the right reasons. Normally virgin or extra virgin olive oils are best for cooking. Consuming olive oil is the best way to control DHT hormone production which is one of the main causes of hair fall, as we have already discussed above. Regular consumption of olive oil is definitely the best way to enjoy all the benefits of it.
How to consume olive oil
- Add a tbsp of olive oil and some lemon juice in a glass of water and drink it. Repeat daily.
- If you feel uncomfortable in following the above mentioned methods, add olive oil to your salad as well as to other foods.
2. Olive Oil Massage
Massaging your scalp and hair with olive oil on daily basis helps in preventing hair fall and increase hair growth. Olive oil massage boosts blood circulation in the scalp, nourish the hair follicles which in turn prevents hair loss and promote healthier, thicker hair growth.
How to do olive oil massage for better hair growth
- Take required amount of olive oil depending on your hair length.
- Warm it up slightly.
- Massage it on the scalp for 3-5 minutes to stimulate blood circulation. Also apply the oil onto the length of the hair.
- Comb your hair thoroughly with a wide toothed comb to ensure even distribution of the oil all over the scalp and hair.
- Tie the hair in a bun and wear a shower cap.
- Leave it on overnight, so that it can dissolve all the dirt, impurities and excess sebum build up.
- The next morning, wash it off with a sulfate free shampoo.
- Repeat 1-2 times in a week for maintaining healthy hair and scalp.
3. Castor Oil and Olive Oil for Hair Growth
Just like olive oil, castor oil has amazing benefits for our hair. You can check different ways to use castor oil for hair growth here. It has anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties which keep the scalp healthy and promotes better hair growth. Castor oil boosts blood circulation in the scalp, and it also offers deep conditioning benefits for our hair.
How to use castor oil and olive oil for hair growth
Combine 2 tbsp each of olive oil and castor oil. You can adjust the amount depending on your hair length. Mix both the oils and then warm up the oil blend. Furthermore, massage your scalp and hair with this oil blend. Let it stay on the scalp for 30-40 minutes and then, wash it off with a mild shampoo. You can repeat this treatment with olive oil for hair growth twice in a week.
4. Egg and Olive Oil Hair Mask for Hair Growth
The next tip among the best ways to use olive oil for hair growth is this one. Egg is one of the best ingredient to use on hair, due to its high protein content. Egg white also contains minerals like, niacin, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc which are extremely beneficial to repair damaged hair and also induce hair growth. In fact, egg yolk is high in B vitamins and folic acid, which ensures that hair stays healthy.
Check – Easy Ways to Remove Blackheads on Nose
How to prepare egg and olive oil hair mask for hair growth
Separate the egg white from the yolk and whisk it in a bowl. Add a tbsp each of honey and olive oil there and then mix all the ingredients nicely to prepare the DIY hair mask with olive oil for hair growth. Apply the hair mask all over the hair, covering from the roots to the tips. Let it stay on the hair for at least 30 minutes and then, wash off with a shampoo. Repeat at least once in a week.
5. Olive Oil and Hibiscus Flower Remedy for Hair Growth
Here comes a very effective home remedy to induce new hair growth. Hibiscus is high in Vitamin C which plays a vital role in preventing hair loss and also promoting hair growth. Vitamin C can boost collagen production, which strengthens the hair follicles and improves hair growth. Vitamin C has anti oxidant properties as well which protects our hair follicles from free radical damages. Studies have proved that hibiscus flower can induce new hair growth even from bald areas on the scalp.
How to use hibiscus and olive oil for hair growth
Take 3-4 fresh hibiscus flowers. Wash them thoroughly and separate the petals. Put them in a pestle and mortar and add some olive oil there. Make a paste and apply the resultant mixture on the scalp. Also apply the same on the length of the hair. Allow it to sit for 40-45 minutes on the hair and scalp. Use a mild shampoo to wash off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
6. Olive Oil and Cayenne Pepper Hair Mask for Healthy Hair Growth
Next comes this wonderful hair mask in our list of different methods to use olive oil for hair growth. Cayenne pepper contains an active compound known as capsaicin. It is an irritant which also helps in improving blood circulation in the scalp and then stimulate the hair follicles to induce hair growth.
How to use cayenne pepper and olive oil for hair growth
Take half a cup of olive oil. Adjust the amount depending on your hair length. Warm up the oil slightly and then add a tsp of cayenne pepper to it. Stir well and let the ingredients mix together. Let the mixture cool down and then, massage your scalp thoroughly with the same. Also apply on the length of the hair. Leave it on for at least couple of hours, or even better if you can leave it on for overnight. Rinse it off with water first, and then use a shampoo to remove it all. Repeat at least once in a week.
7. Promote Hair Growth with Mayonnaise and Olive Oil
Mayonnaise has egg and oils in it, which is why it acts as a great conditioner for dry hair. Egg is one of the best ingredient to use on hair, due to its high protein content. Egg also contains minerals like, niacin, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc which are extremely beneficial to repair damaged hair and induce hair growth. This combination of mayonnaise and olive oil is considered as one of the best hair treatments to prevent hair breakage and also stimulate hair growth. Moreover, vinegar also has hair softening properties, which prevents hair breakage due to dryness. You can add few drops of vanilla essence to avoid the unpleasant smell of mayonnaise.
How to use mayonnaise and olive oil for hair growth
Add a tsp of olive oil to 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise. Also add two tsp white vinegar and few drops of vanilla essence (optional) there. Combine all the ingredients to make a paste. Apply this hair mask thoroughly on the scalp as well as on the length of the hair. Wear a shower cap to prevent dripping. Keep it on the hair for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with a shampoo and then apply conditioner as well.
8. Honey, Cinnamon and Olive Oil for Hair Growth
Cinnamon is a great ingredient for improving blood circulation in the scalp. Better blood circulation ensures proper nourishment for the hair follicles, which in turn also strengthens them and boosts hair growth. Honey is loaded with vitamins and minerals which ensures optimum nourishment for the hair follicles. It rejuvenates the hair follicles as well as acts as a natural deep conditioner for hair. The anti oxidant and anti bacterial properties of honey keep the scalp healthy and eventually leads to healthy hair growth.
How to make honey, cinnamon and olive oil hair mask
In a bowl, combine one tbsp each of olive oil, honey and cinnamon powder. Apply the mixture all over the hair, covering from roots to tips. Once done, wear a shower cap to avoid dripping. Wait for 20-30 minutes and then wash your hair with luke warm water first and then use a mild shampoo to remove the residue. Repeat once or twice in a week.
9. Amla and Olive Oil for Hair Growth
Amla is a great ingredient for our hair. It is high in vitamin C, which plays a major role in hair strengthening as well as inducing new hair growth. Amla helps to deal with hair issues, such as thinning of hair, baldness as well as weak hair. Furthermore, amla is also loaded with anti oxidant benefits, amino acids and various essential nutrients which provides nourishment to the hair roots and help in fighting against hair damaging factors. We all know that healthy hair starts with healthy scalp. Apple cider is very beneficial in maintaining the pH balance of the scalp, which in turn ensures healthy scalp.
Check – 10 Simple Ways to get Pink Lips Naturally at Home
How to make hair mask with amla and olive oil for hair growth
Mix together 3-4 tbsp olive oil, one tsp apple cider vinegar and then add some amla powder in a bowl to prepare a smooth paste. Apply the paste evenly on your hair strands, starting from the roots to tips. Let it stand for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week to arrest hair fall and induce hair growth.
10. Kale Leaves and Olive Oil Hair Mask for Healthy Hair Growth
Kale is extremely effective in preventing hair breakage and strengthening hair roots. It is a rich source of Vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, iron, potassium and copper. Vitamin C is very beneficial in inducing hair growth. It can also boost collagen production, which strengthens the hair follicles and improves hair growth. Furthermore, the anti oxidant benefits of Vitamin C protect our hair follicles from free radical damages. Vitamin B complex in kale also helps in strengthening the hair follicles by boosting oxygen supply and nutrients to the scalp. Kale is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which keep the scalp healthy by restoring the pH balance of the scalp. Lemon juice thoroughly cleanses the scalp, unclogs hair follicles and also helps in removing build ups while promoting hair growth.
How to use kale leaves and olive oil for hair growth
Take a handful of fresh kale leaves, a tsp olive oil and a tbsp lemon juice. Put all the ingredients in a blender and then blend them to make a paste. Damp your hair and also apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and hair. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
11. Use Avocado and Olive Oil for Hair Growth
Avocado contains high amount of Vitamin B and Vitamin E which also help to strengthen the hair roots and thus preventing hair loss. Vitamin B is essential to stop hair fall while vitamin E ensures healthy scalp and healthy hair growth. The mono saturated fatty acids in avocado adds nourishment and strength to dry and damaged hair. In this way, it prevents hair loss due to breakage. The vitamins and minerals in honey ensures optimum nourishment for the hair follicles. It rejuvenates the hair follicles as well as acts as a natural deep conditioner for hair. The anti oxidant and anti bacterial properties of honey help in healthy hair growth.
Check – 15 Surprising Benefits of Avocado for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use avocado and olive oil for hair growth treatment
- Cut one ripe avocado in half. Remove the seed and then scoop out the flesh. Mash it with a fork. Add two tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a tbsp honey to the mashed avocado. Mix all the three ingredients together and then make a lump free paste. Apply the resultant paste on the scalp as well as hairs. Massage gently. Wear a shower cap to avoid any mess. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, mash one ripe avocado and then add half a cup of milk to it. Also add a tbsp each of olive oil and almond oil. Combine everything and apply the resultant mixture all over the hair and scalp. Allow it to sit for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
12. Aloe Vera and Olive Oil Hair Mask to Promote Hair Growth
Aloe vera is a great natural remedy to boost hair growth and prevent unwanted hair loss. It has the ability to moisturize the hair strands without making them oily. Aloe vera comes packed with several nutrients that repair the damaged hair follicles, add nourishment and strengthen them once again to grow new and healthy hair. The natural enzymes present in aloe vera also boost hair growth significantly. Yogurt is a great natural hair conditioner which makes hair soft, smooth and shiny. The anti bacterial properties of yogurt helps in maintaining a healthy scalp, which further encourages hair growth. Furthermore, yogurt is enriched with vitamins, minerals and proteins which nourish the hair follicles and induce new hair growth.
How to use aloe vera and olive oil for hair growth
- Mix together 4 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel, two tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp yogurt to form an uniform mixture. Apply it all over the scalp and the length of the hair as well. Cover your head with a shower cap and then let it stand for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and luke warm water. Repeat once in a week to boost hair growth.
- Add three or four tbsp olive oil to a tbsp of lemon juice and some aloe vera gel. Combine all the three ingredients nicely so that it forms a smooth mixture. Apply it all over the hair, from the roots to the tips. Once your hair is saturated with the mixture, wear a shower cap to avoid any kind of mess. Wait for 40 minutes to an hour and then, wash off with a mild, sulfate free shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
13. Grow Your Hair with Banana and Olive Oil
This is a simple yet very effective way to use olive oil for hair growth. Bananas is rich in vitamins as well as minerals like calcium, potassium etc along with carbohydrate and natural oils. It is a great nourishing agent for our hair. Topical application of banana nourishes the weak and damaged hair follicles and then promote new and healthier hair growth. The potassium present in banana work magically to repair dry and brittle hair and also prevents hair breakage. Moreover, banana can improve the natural elasticity of the hair which also prevents hair loss.
Check – Beauty Benefits of Bananas
How to prepare olive oil and banana hair mask to boost hair growth
Take one ripe banana, cut into small pieces and put them in the blender to prepare banana pulp. Add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil to the mashed banana, mix well and then keep it aside for an hour. Apply the mask on the scalp as well as on the length of the hair and wrap a warm moist towel around your head. Wait for 40 minutes to an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week.
These were our best 13 recommendations on how to use olive oil for hair growth. We have used some very easily available, but effective natural ingredients in combination with olive oil for hair growth treatment. Let me know in the comments what do you think of this 🙂