How to Use Lemon to Remove Dandruff – 12 Natural Remedies – Dandruff is one of the most common yet very annoying hair problem. Some of us suffer from dandruff all around the year, and no matter whichever anti dandruff shampoo we use, dandruff just doesn’t seem to go away! Natural remedies work best for dandruff, and lemon is one of the most popular natural remedy to remove dandruff. Here in this article, we will talk about various different ways to use lemon to remove dandruff. If ignored and not treated on time, dandruff can lead to hair fall, acne, allergies, sneezing as well as redness of eyes. Lemon juice, lemon peel and even lemon oil all are known for their dandruff removing properties. Lets check out what are the various methods of using lemon to remove dandruff.
Check – How to make Tomato and Lemon Peel Off Mask for Skin Whitening
Before we start with our list of different methods to use lemon to remove dandruff, let’s first check out the facts about dandruff and the main causes of dandruff below.
What is Dandruff
Dandruff is a chronic but harmless scalp condition where the scalp becomes excessively dry or greasy and produces dead skin cells in the form of white flakes. These white flakes commonly appears on the hair and sometimes even on the shoulders. Dandruff isn’t contagious, but it definitely is embarrassing. And those suffering from dandruff also know how difficult it gets at times to get rid of dandruff.
Check – Raaga Professional Pro Botanix Anti Dandruff Shampoo
The symptoms of dandruff includes white colored oily looking flakes along with itching on the scalp. Some of the victims also suffer from acne on the forehead while some suffer from hair loss.
Causes of Dandruff
There are several causes of dandruff. Some of the most common ones are –
- Dry Skin – This is the most common cause of dandruff. Dandruff are normally white flakes, which itself is the result of dry scalp.
- Irritated Oily Skin – This can be the result of medical condition, such as seborrheic dermatitis, which causes red and greasy skin covered in flaky white or yellow scales. It can affect our scalp as well as other parts of the body, such as around the nostrils, back of the ear etc.
- Lack of Proper Cleansing – If you do not shampoo your hair as often as you need to, then you might end up with having dandruff. Furthermore, not washing your hair enough can result in oil and dead skin cell build up on the scalp and over time, scalp becomes itchy and flaky and also very dry. However, frequent shampooing can also cause dandruff by drying out the scalp.
- Stress – Stress makes everything worse, and dandruff is no exception either. When an individual is going through a prolonged period of stress it can disturb the immune system and that can lead to dandruff.
- Poor Diet – A balanced diet is very important for healthy skin and healthy hair. If the diet lacks foods which are rich in zinc, vitamin B and good fats, it can lead to dandruff.
- Air Pollution – This is one of the major causes of dandruff as well as other hair problems. Chemicals which are present in polluted air can affect our scalp and cause dandruff. They can also affect our skin and lead to allergies as well as other irritations.
Why Lemon is Good to Fight Dandruff
- Lemon has powerful anti fungal properties that can fight off the fungus that causes dandruff.
- Vitamin C and citric acid in lemon helps to remove dandruff.
- The acidic property of lemon helps in balancing our scalp’s pH level, which in turn also helps in preventing dandruff.
- Lemon has a rich amount of anti oxidants and vitamins which are essential for healthy scalp and hair.
- Also lemon helps in shedding away the dead skin cells accumulated on the scalp.
- Lemon has excellent cleansing properties, which also helps in eliminating the dirt and the stickiness of the scalp.
- The healing properties of lemon helps in soothing irritations caused by dandruff.
How to Use Lemon to Remove Dandruff – 12 Natural Remedies
We have seen how lemon helps in getting rid of dandruff. When mixed with other natural ingredients like, coconut oil, multani mitti, honey, etc it turns in to a very powerful natural remedy to get rid of dandruff. So lets now find out the various ways to use lemon to remove dandruff.
1. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice Remedy for Dandruff
How to use coconut oil and lemon to remove dandruff
- We are going to start our list of different uses of lemon to remove dandruff with this easy one. Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil and then heat it up slightly. Mix a tsp lemon juice with the warm coconut oil and massage it thoroughly all over the scalp. Let it sit for an hour and then wrap your hair in a warm towel for better penetration. Wait for another 20 minutes and then, use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat at least twice in a week.
- Alternatively, you can combine 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 cups of warm water in a bowl. Apply this on the scalp and massage for few minutes. Do it at night and then wash off the next morning. This is one of the simplest yet very effective ways to use lemon to remove dandruff.
- One can also put some lemon peel in a jar of coconut oil. Make sure its a glass jar. Place it in the sun light for 9-10 days. With the help of a strainer, separate the oil and then store it in a container. Apply this oil all over the scalp and also massage gently. Let it stay overnight and wash off the next morning. Repeat this process on regular basis to remove dandruff.
Coconut oil is a miraculous ingredient for our hair. It has deep moisturizing property which also helps to soothe dry scalp and thus prevent dandruff. It also has natural anti bacterial properties that combat dandruff causing bacteria or fungus.
2. Use Lemon and Multani Mitti to Cure Dandruff
How to use multani mitti and lemon to remove dandruff
In a bowl, take some multani mitti, water and some lemon juice. Mix together to make a paste. Apply this on the scalp and let it sit for few minutes until it gets dry. Rinse off with water and then repeat this remedy at least once in a week to get rid of dandruff.
Multani Mitti is a great cleanser which helps to remove the dirt, particles from the scalp. It also absorbs the oil and prevents oil build up on the scalp. Excessive oil build up is one of the main causes of dandruff.
3. Apply Lemon and Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Dandruff
How to use apple cider vinegar and lemon to remove dandruff
In a bowl, take 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar and add 2 tbsp lemon juice to it. Mix together. Apply this solution on the scalp with the help of a cotton ball. Once done, cover your entire scalp with a shower cap. Wait for 20 minutes and then rinse off. Repeat this remedy twice a week.
Apple cider vinegar is a great natural ingredient which works wonders for our scalp. It helps in maintaining the perfect pH balance of the scalp which does not allow the dandruff causing bacteria and fungus to survive there. It has anti bacterial properties as well. Plus its anti inflammatory properties also helps in soothing the irritation caused by dandruff. The enzymes present in apple cider vinegar helps in opening up the blocked pores of the scalp and keep the scalp healthy. The conditioning properties of apple cider vinegar helps to get relief from the dryness and itchiness of the scalp caused by dandruff.
4. Aloe Vera and Lemon Mask to Fix Dandruff
How to use aloe vera and lemon to remove dandruff
This is another amazing way to use lemon to remove dandruff. Simply combine together 2 tbsp each of aloe vera gel and fresh lemon juice. Apply this on the scalp and massage gently. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with a mild shampoo. Repeat the entire procedure at least twice a week to treat dandruff.
Aloe vera gel contains pectin and polysaccharides which help in boosting the cell growth. The fresh and new cells help to restore healthy scalp. The anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of aloe vera makes it an excellent remedy for dandruff. Aloe vera has amazing moisturizing properties that soothes dry scalp. The anti septic properties of aloe vera soothes the itching of the scalp caused by dandruff. The enzymes present in aloe vera also has great cleansing properties which removes the dead skin cells and the dandruff from the scalp.
5. Apply Lemon Juice and Witch Hazel Oil to Eliminate Dandruff
How to use witch hazel oil and lemon to remove dandruff
Here comes another very powerful remedy with lemon to remove dandruff. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 tbsp each of witch hazel oil and lemon juice and use a double boiler to warm up the mixture slightly. Apply it on the scalp and massage gently for few minutes. Allow it to stay there for 30 minutes and then, wash off with a mild shampoo and water. One must repeat this treatment on regular basis to get rid of dandruff completely.
This is a wonderful remedy for those suffering from oily dandruff. Witch hazel oil has powerful astringent properties that help to absorb excess oil from the scalp and thus, prevents oil build up. Also, it has anti inflammatory properties that soothe the scalp and gives relief from itching caused by dandruff.
6. Use Lemon Juice and Castor Oil to Remove Dandruff
How to use castor oil and lemon to remove dandruff
- Take 2 tbsp of castor oil and warm it up slightly. Add a tbsp lemon juice to it and mix well. Apply it thoroughly all over the scalp and then massage gently with your fingertips. Before, applying this castor oil-lemon juice mixture, comb your hair thoroughly and make sure there are no tangles. Once done with application, cover your head with a warm towel. Wait for at least 20-30 minutes and then, wash off.
- Alternatively, you can mix castor oil and 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice to the mixture and follow the exact same procedure as mentioned above to get rid of dandruff.
Castor oil has anti bacterial properties. It can combat the dandruff causing bacteria. The ricin present in castor oil has germicidal and fungicidal properties to protect the scalp from microbial and fungal infections that can lead to dandruff formation later. The high content of omega-9 fatty acids in castor oil makes it an excellent humectant. It draws moisture to the scalp from the environment and keeps the scalp moisturized. Also, castor oil is a high source of nutrients such as minerals, omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E. As a result, castor oil soothes and moisturizes the dry, flaky scalp and fight dandruff.
7. Combine Methi Seeds and Lemon Juice to Eliminate Dandruff
How to use methi seeds and lemon to remove dandruff
One of the best way to use lemon to remove dandruff is by mixing it with methi seeds or fenugreek seeds. Get some dried fenugreek/methi seeds and mix it with some lemon juice. Form a paste and apply it all over the scalp. Allow it to stay for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with fresh, clean water. Repeat this remedy with lemon to remove dandruff regularly for best result.
The anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of fenugreek seeds makes it a great natural remedy to eliminate dandruff. Plus, methi seeds are loaded with protein, vitamin C, iron, potassium, nicotinic acid as well as lecithin. All these nutrients together work wonders for our hair and scalp and also keep them healthy. Also, methi seeds have emulsifying properties which aids in moisturizing dry and itchy scalp, affected by severe dandruff.
8. Fix Dandruff using Amla and Lemon Juice
How to use amla and lemon to remove dandruff
Next we are going to talk about this natural remedy with lemon to remove dandruff. In a bowl, take 2 tbsp amla juice and equal amount of lemon juice. Mix together and apply on the scalp using a cotton ball. Allow it to stay for 30 minutes and rinse it off. Repeat the procedure at least 3-4 days in a week for best results.
Amla is a great natural ingredient for our hair. It is a very effective remedy for dandruff as well. It is a great anti oxidant with high amount of vitamin C, minerals, amino acids, tannins and flavonoids. No wonder, amla works as a great natural conditioner and also minimizes hair loss and other hair problems. Amla also has natural anti bacterial, anti microbial, anti inflammatory properties which prevent dandruff and other scalp infections and keep the scalp healthy.
9. Apply Lemon Juice and Garlic Powder to Get Rid of Dandruff
How to use garlic powder and lemon to remove dandruff
Take a tbsp of lemon juice in a bowl and add 2 tbsp garlic powder to this. Make a paste and apply on the scalp. Massage gently and allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild and herbal shampoo. Repeat this anti dandruff treatment on regular basis to get rid of dandruff.
Garlic is considered as an excellent herbal remedy for dandruff due to its high amount of vitamins and minerals. Garlic has vitamin A, B, C, calcium, phosphorous, zinc, etc which promotes healthy scalp and healthy hair growth. It also contains allicin, which is a sulphur compound and helps in preventing dandruff and other scalp infections.
10. Use Ginger and Lemon Juice to Eliminate Dandruff
How to use ginger and Lemon to Remove Dandruff
- Here comes another excellent remedy including lemon to remove dandruff. Take 1 ginger root and peel and blend it to extract the juice. Mix equal amount of ginger juice, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl and apply this on the scalp. Massage gently with your finger tips. Wait for about 30-45 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Alternatively, you can use this as an overnight treatment. In that case, make sure to cover your head with a shower cap or a towel overnight. Wash off the next morning and repeat the same procedure on regular basis to remove dandruff.
Ginger is an anti fungal and anti inflammatory agent. It is a natural anti septic that kills the fungus that cause dandruff. Ginger contains minerals and essential fatty acids which nourish the scalp and prevent dryness of the scalp. Ginger also reduces inflammation of the scalp and the volatile oils in ginger boost blood circulation which is must for healthy scalp and hair. The juice of ginger also moisturizes scalp and hair. Olive oil is a great natural moisturizer that soothes and also moisturizes dry scalp and prevents white flakes from forming.
11. Treat Dandruff by using Neem and Lemon Juice Mask
How to use neem and lemon to remove dandruff
- Take a handful of fresh neem leaves and blend them to make a fine paste. To the neem paste, add juice of half of a lemon. Mix well and spread this paste over the scalp. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly to remove dandruff permanently.
- Alternatively, boil handful of fresh neem leaves in 4-6 cups of water. With a strainer, strain the water. Add 2 tsp fresh lemon juice in this neem water and use this solution to rinse your hair after washing with shampoo. Follow this remedy with lemon to remove dandruff twice in a week to treat dandruff effectively.
Neem is an excellent natural remedy for dandruff in itself. Neem leaves have amazing anti microbial, anti fungal, anti viral, anti septic as well as anti inflammatory properties. All these properties together help in fighting dandruff and improve the health of our scalp. Neem is also a rich anti oxidant with a high amount of vitamin C. It works as a natural blood purifier which cleanses our body from inside out as well as make our scalp clean and healthy.
12. Lemon and Yogurt Remedy for Dandruff
How to use Yogurt and lemon to remove dandruff
When it comes to the best natural hair mask recipes to combat dandruff, one simply cannot ignore the lemon and yogurt mask. In a bowl, take 2 tbsp of yogurt and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to it. For better result, add a tsp of organic honey as well. Mix all the ingredients and apply this hair mask all over the scalp. Allow it to sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this on daily basis to get rid of dandruff completely.
Yogurt is an amazing natural care for our hair. Plain curd or yogurt is rich in Vitamin B5 and proteins which are very beneficial for hair and scalp growth. The protein present in yogurt helps to moisturize the scalp and makes it difficult for dandruff to survive. Moreover, yogurt has anti bacterial properties that reduces the itching and irritations of the scalp caused by dandruff.
These were our 12 best home remedies for dandruff that contain lemon. Dandruff is stubborn in nature, but we must feel fortunate enough to have such amazing natural solutions for this hair problem. We agree, natural remedies do take time to show result, but the result is worth the wait! We hope you liked this article on How to Use Lemon to Remove Dandruff, stay tuned for more 🙂