How to Use Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment at Home – Dark spots or the brown spots on our skin often ruin our dream of flaunting flawless skin. However, getting rid of them isn’t as hard as you think. This article will tell you how you can use lemon for dark spots treatment. These dark spots are caused by overproduction of melanin on the skin, which further can be the result of excessive sun exposure, aging, exposure to harsh chemicals present in cosmetics, acne, nutritional deficiency, hormonal imbalance, stress etc. In fact, genetics also play a big role here. If you have tried a number of creams/serums and still haven’t got the desired result, you know what to try next, don’t you? Yes lemons! Check out below to know how to use Lemon for Dark Spots.
Check – How to make Tomato and Lemon Peel Off Mask for Skin Whitening
Let us first find out what makes lemon so beneficial for dark spots treatment.
Benefits of Lemon for Skin Lightening and Brightening
- Lemon is rich in citric acid, which helps to exfoliate the skin and lighten the appearance of scars and marks. It also unclogs pores, thus minimizing the chances of acne and acne marks.
- Lemon is a great source of vitamin C. It helps to fade dark spots and acne scars. It removes the impurities from the skin and encourages new cell growth, which helps to get clean and clear skin.
- Vitamin C is a powerful anti oxidant, which helps with skin lightening and brightening.
- Also vitamin C promotes collagen production, which keeps skin firm and smooth.
- Lemon juice has L-ascorbic acid, which is responsible for its astringent properties. This is what makes lemon an ideal remedy to treat dark spots. It shrinks the skin pores which minimizes the appearance of the spots.
- The anti bacterial and anti microbial properties of lemon help in fighting off acne and pimples, thus reducing the chances of getting dark spots by acne.
Now that we know how lemon helps with skin lightening and brightening, let us check out different ways to use lemon for dark spots treatment.
How to Use Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment
1. Apply Lemon Juice to Treat Dark Spots
- Extract the juice from half of a fresh lemon. Apply the lemon juice on the dark spots with a cotton ball. Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat this daily.
- Alternatively, cut a slice from a fresh lemon and rub it on the dark spots affected parts. Wait for 8-10 minutes and wash off. Repeat daily.
If you have sensitive skin, use diluted lemon juice.
2. Rose Water and Lemon for Dark Spots
Mix together one tbsp each of lemon juice and rose water. Apply the liquid mixture on the dark spots with the help of a cotton ball. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Use cool water to wash off. Repeat daily to lighten dark spots.
The astringent and anti inflammatory benefits of rose water help in treating dark spots. It helps in shrinking the pores and minimizing the appearance of spots and marks. The anti inflammatory property of rose water not only reduces skin irritation, but also helps in lightening dark spots and marks.
3. Honey and Lemon for Dark Spots Removal
- Mix together fresh lemon juice and raw honey in 1:2 ratio. Apply evenly on the face. Let it sit for 30 minutes and wash off with cool water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week. You can use this remedy on other body parts as well, where you have got dark spots or marks.
- Combine two tsp raw honey, one tsp fresh lemon juice and some milk. Apply the liquid mixture on the dark spots affected area with the help of a cotton ball. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off using luke warm water. Repeat this treatment with lemon for dark spots removal daily.
- Alternatively, combine fresh lemon juice, raw honey as well as olive oil in 1:1:1 ratio. Apply the resultant mixture on the dark spots. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water and then splash some cold water. Repeat daily.
Honey contains an enzyme known as glucose oxalase. It releases hydrogen peroxide, which is a natural bleach. This is why topical application of honey significantly helps in lightening all types of marks and scars. Moreover the anti inflammatory property of honey helps with dark spots treatment.
4. Raw Milk and Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment
Take some cold raw milk in a bowl. Put a couple of fresh lemon slices in the milk and soak for 15-20 minutes. Remove the lemon slices and apply the milk on the dark spots affected areas with the help of a cotton ball. Let it dry naturally and wash off after that. Repeat regularly.
Raw milk is a great natural cleanser for our skin. It helps in removing toxins and impurities from the skin and helps in lightening the spots. Also milk contains lactic acid, which provides wonderful exfoliation and lighten the appearance of dark spots and scars by boosting new cell growth. The high amount of nutrients present in milk nourish the skin and get rid of spots and marks.
5. Baking Soda and Lemon for Dark Spots
Take one tbsp baking soda, add some lemon juice and a little water. Mix everything nicely to form a paste. Apply the paste on the dark spots and then massage gently for couple of minutes. Let it stay on the skin for another 5 minutes and then rinse off with cool water. Repeat this process with lemon for dark spots removal twice in a week.
Baking soda offers anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti septic as well as anti inflammatory benefits. All these help to keep the skin healthy and free from acne, pimples and other impurities. Furthermore, baking soda is a great exfoliating agent. It helps in removing the dead skin cells build up and clears up the skin, lightening the marks and scars. Moreover, it helps to balance the pH level of our skin which is essential for clear, even toned skin.
6. Egg White and Lemon for Dark Spots Lightening
Take an egg and separate the egg white from the yolk. Add the egg white to one tbsp of lemon juice and whisk together. Apply the resultant mixture on the dark spots affected spots and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off using cold water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
Egg white has natural astringent properties. It helps in shrinking the pores and thus minimize the appearance of spots and marks. Moreover, the proteins present in egg white boost collagen production in the skin and keep the skin smooth and firm.
7. Remove Dark Spots with Turmeric and Lemon Juice
Make a thick paste by mixing together one tsp of turmeric powder and some lemon juice. Apply the paste on the dark spots affected parts and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat this remedy with lemon for dark spots twice or thrice in a week.
Turmeric has major skin lightening benefits. It contains curcumin, a powerful anti oxidant, which helps with lightening the marks and spots and giving us clear skin. Also turmeric has the ability to control melanin production, thus lightening the dark spots. The anti inflammatory properties of turmeric reduce the chance of scarring.
8. Ginger and Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment
Combine lemon juice and ginger juice in 1:1 ratio. Apply the liquid mixture on the dark spots and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat twice or thrice in a week.
Ginger contains an anti oxidant known as gingerol. The powerful anti oxidant benefits of ginger helps to get rid of marks and scars. Also the anti inflammatory qualities of ginger help to reduce the pain and redness of acne and minimize scarring. Ginger juice improves blood flow in the skin and evens out discoloration.
9. Use Lemon Essential Oil to Lighten Dark Spots
Make a mixture by adding 5-6 drops of lemon essential oil to few drops of jojoba oil. Apply this mixture on the dark spots and let it sit on the skin for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat daily.
Lemon essential oil has all the benefits of lemon juice. When used for a period of time, lemon oil helps in lightening skin tone, tightening the pores as well as getting rid of acne and acne scars. Jojoba oil has a similar composition to our skin’s natural sebum, hence, it does not make skin oily and can be used by all skin types.
10. Aloe Vera and Lemon for Dark Spots Removal
Mix together one tsp each of aloe vera gel and honey. Add few drops of lemon juice into the mixture and give it a final mix. Apply it on the dark spots affected parts and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
Aloe vera contains a compound known as ‘anthraquinon’. It is very helpful in removing the dead skin cells as well as lightening the appearances of marks and scars. Moreover, aloe vera contains anti-oxidants that protect our skin from damage caused by sun, pollution and harsh chemicals and keep it healthy and clear. Honey is a natural bleaching agent, which works wonderfully to lighten all types of pigmentation. Also its anti inflammatory properties help in reducing the scarring due to acne or other injuries.
11. Sugar and Lemon for Dark Spots Lightening
- Add a tbsp of brown sugar to some lemon juice and mix them well. Gently massage the mixture on the dark spots affected parts for few minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Take half tsp each of sugar as well as sea salt and mix them. Add one tsp each of fresh lemon juice and luke warm water. Give it a final mix and massage the mixture gently on the dark spots in circular motions for few minutes. Leave it on the skin for another 10-15 minutes and rinse off using cool water. Repeat this process with lemon for dark spots removal thrice in a week.
- Combine two tbsp fine sugar and one tbsp raw honey as well as the juice of half lemon. Apply the mixture on the dark spot affected skin and gently massage in circular motion for couple of minutes with your fingertips. Leave it on for another 10-12 minutes and wash off with cool water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Mix together two tbsp sugar, a tsp lemon juice and one egg white to prepare a thick paste. Apply the mixture on the dark spots affected areas and gently massage in circular motions with your fingertips for few minutes. Keep it on the skin for another 10-12 minutes and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat this treatment with lemon for dark spots removal twice in a week.
Sugar is one of the best natural sources of glycolic acid, which is considered as the most effective alpha hydroxy acid. It helps in chemical exfoliation and remove the toxins from the skin, thus treating skin discolorations. Furthermore, the small, slightly coarse sugar granules work great as a topical exfoliant. They help to rid the skin of dirt, impurities and dead skin cells and lighten the appearance of marks and scars. Sugar scrubs can boost blood circulation in the skin, which in turn boosts collagen production and keeps the skin smooth, supple and nourished.
12. Sandalwood Powder and Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment
- Combine one tsp each of sandalwood powder as well as turmeric powder. Also add some lemon juice to it and mix everything well. Apply the resultant mixture on the dark spots and massage gently. Keep it on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Use cool water to rinse off. Repeat regularly.
- Add some lemon juice to a tsp of sandalwood powder as well as some cinnamon powder. Mix together to make a paste. Apply it on the dark spots affected areas as spot treatment and allow it to dry naturally. Wash off with cool water. Repeat this treatment with lemon for dark spots lightening regularly.
The slightly coarse texture of sandalwood powder makes it ideal to exfoliate the skin. It cleanses the skin deeply and clear out the impurities from the pores, thus lightening skin discolorations. Also sandalwood powder has astringent properties, which shrink the pores as well as minimize the appearances of spots and marks. The anti septic as well as anti inflammatory properties of sandalwood accelerates the healing process of scars, marks, etc.
13. Get Rid of Dark Spots with Basil and Lemon
Crush a few fresh basil leaves and extract the juice. To the basil juice, add one tsp each of lemon juice and honey mix everything well. Apply the resultant mixture on the dark spots affected area and keep it on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Rinse off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
Basil or tulsi as we call it commonly is rich in vitamins E, K as well as antioxidants which play a vital role in reducing acne as well as the dark spots left behind by acne. The anti bacterial benefits of tulsi or basil prevent acne breakouts and keep the skin clear. Honey contains an enzyme known as glucose oxalase which releases hydrogen peroxide and help in lightening the blemishes, acne scars, marks, dark spots, age spots etc. Honey also keeps the skin moisturized and radiant. The anti inflammatory benefits of honey also help to lighten pigmentation and dark spots.
14. Use Tomato and Lemon for Dark Spots Removal
- In a bowl, mix together a tbsp each of fresh lemon juice, cucumber juice, tomato juice as well as some sandalwood paste. Apply the mixture nicely on the areas which are affected by dark spots and wait till it gets dry. Wash off with fresh water after that. Reapply this home remedy with lemon for dark spots at least once in a week.
- Alternatively, you can mix together two tbsp tomato juice and a tsp of lemon juice and apply the mixture on the dark spots directly. Let it dry naturally and then wash off using fresh water. Repeat every alternate day for best results.
- Here is another way to use lemon for dark spots removal. All you need to do is to to grate a small piece of tomato and collect the tomato pulp. Take about two tsp tomato pulp and equal amount of lemon juice and then add some aloe vera gel to that. Mix the ingredients nicely and apply the resultant mixture all over the affected areas. Massage a little and let this sit on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Wash off after that with fresh, cool water and repeat once in every two days.
- Blend half of a fresh tomato and prepare tomato paste. Also, prepare mint paste by crushing a handful of mint leaves along with water. Combine the tomato paste and mint paste and add 2-3 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and apply that on the dark spots affected parts of the face. Leave the mask on the skin for 20-30 minutes. After that rinse off and repeat the process once or twice every week to get clean and clear skin.
Tomato is rich in various nutrients, among which Vitamin A as well as Vitamin C play vital roles in lightening the marks and spots. Vitamin A is known for its ability to lighten dark spots, whereas vitamin C is must for skin lightening as well as brightening. Vitamin C also has anti oxidant benefits which help in getting rid of marks and spots. Moreover, tomato is a source of another anti oxidant known as “lycopene” which also help to lighten blemishes, acne scars, age spots, as well as dark spots etc.
15. Lemon Peel and Milk Remedy for Removing Dark Spots
Remove the lemon skin and dry it under the sun for few days. Once it becomes dry enough, grind the skin into fine powder. Add two tsp lemon peel powder to some raw milk and prepare a paste. Apply it on the dark spots and wait until it gets dry naturally. Wash off with fresh water and repeat twice or thrice in a week to get rid of dark spots.
Raw milk is a great natural cleanser for our skin. It can remove the toxins and impurities from the skin and helps in lightening the spots, marks, blemishes etc. Also milk contains lactic acid, which works great as an exfoliant and lighten the appearance of dark spots and marks. The high amount of nutrients present in milk nourish the skin, boosts new cell growth and thus, helps to get rid of spots and marks.
16. Potato Juice and Lemon for Dark Spots Treatment
Grate one small or medium sized potato and extract the juice from the grated potato. Mix together potato juice and also lemon juice in 1:1 ratio. With the help of a cotton bud, apply the juice mix on the dark spots on your face and wait till it gets dry. Wash the face with plain water and repeat regularly to get healthy, clear skin.
Potato is a great natural bleach for our skin. It contains a good amount of vitamin C which helps significantly with skin whitening and brightening. Vitamin C has astringent properties as well which help to reduce scarring by shrinking the pores. And potatoes also contain anti oxidants which help in boosting the complexion by lightening the blemishes and dark spots. However, the key role is played by “catecholase” enzyme which is found in potatoes and has been found very effective in lightening dark spots, pigmentation, marks and scars and make the skin clear.
Furthermore, potatoes contain Vitamin B6 which boosts new cell formation and thus, helps in lightening dark spots and marks.
These were our top 16 different ways to use lemon for dark spots. Do you use lemon to get spotless, glowing skin? Let us know below in the comments.