How to Use Garlic for Acne Control – Eight Best DIYs – I have said it previously, and I will say it again that if you want flawless skin, look no further than your pantry! Your kitchen is the treasure trove of the ingredients that can solve almost all of your skin problems, including acne. In this article, we are going to share how to use garlic for acne control. Garlic is a herb, extensively used in cooking. And that’s not because it boosts the taste of the food, but it is infused with a number of health benefits. It posses powerful anti fungal, anti septic and anti viral properties, which not only protect our health from various ailments, but also work wonderfully to give us healthy skin. So, find out below how to use garlic for acne control.
Check – 11 Simple Ways to Use Rose Water for Acne Treatment
Let us first find out why we should use garlic for acne control. And after that, we are going to share with you all the most effective ways to use garlic for acne control.
Why Use Garlic for Acne Control?
- Garlic contains a compound, known as ‘allicin’. It posses anti bacterial, anti viral, anti septic and anti viral properties, which help in getting rid of acne and pimples.
- Furthermore, the anti inflammatory benefits of garlic provide relief from the pain, redness and swelling of acne.
- The anti oxidant properties of garlic also play a major role in treating acne and reducing acne scars.
- Garlic comes with sulfur compounds called thiacremonon. This acts as a drying agent, which help to dry our acne fast and also reduce the scarring. Regular use of garlic helps to get clearer and healthy skin.
- Along with these special compounds, garlic is the source of several other nutrients. It contains vitamins B6, Vitamin C minerals, selenium, copper, allicin, zinc etc, which are known for for their acne fighting properties.
- Garlic has the ability to improve blood circulation in the skin. This way, it ensures better nourishment for skin cells, which is essential for healthy skin.
Now, that we have a clear idea about how garlic works for acne treatment, let us find out the best DIYs to use garlic for acne control.
How to Use Garlic for Acne Control
1. Simple Garlic Paste
How to prepare?
Remove the skin and crush 3 small cloves of garlic to prepare garlic paste. Apply it directly onto the affected areas of the face and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day to combat acne.
2. Rose Water and Garlic for Acne Control
How to use garlic with rose water to treat acne?
Peel and crush few garlic cloves to extract the juice. Dilute the garlic juice in some rose water and apply it on the acne affected parts of the skin. Keep it on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with fresh water. Repeat this remedy with Garlic for Acne Control regularly.
Why it works?
Rose water is known for its skin cleansing and skin purification properties, which is why it helps in acne treatment. The anti bacterial properties of rose water effectively fight off the acne causing bacteria on the skin pores and help to open up the clogged pores. Also rose water is a natural astringent, which shrink the pores and prevent chances of getting clogged pores.
Due to this same astringent properties, rose water helps to dry out existing acne quickly and minimize the scarring post acne. Rose water has anti oxidants benefits, which help to block the free radicals and protect our skin from acne and other damages. Regular application of rose water boosts the cell turnover rate and accelerates the healing process of the skin.
Acne can irritate our skin badly and rose water, with its cooling and soothing effect, helps in getting relief from irritated, sensitive skin. Rose water also helps in restoring the natural pH level of the skin, thus preventing skin from getting too dry or too oily.
In addition, rose water is a source of a number of natural bio active chemicals, which help to get healthy skin. According to researches, the rose oil content of rose water can boost the activity of keratinocytes skin cells, which play a vital role in restoring the health of our skin. These keratinocytes cells has the ability to produce new skin cells that move up to the outer layer of the skin and make the skin healthy.
Also rose water is rich in several vitamins, such as vitamin A, B3, C as well as E. All these vitamins are extremely effective to keep the skin clear and healthy.
3. Garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne Treatment
How to use apple cider vinegar and garlic for acne control?
Crush few fresh garlic cloves and extract the juice from crushed garlic. Add the garlic juice to equal amount of apple cider vinegar and mix together. With the help of a cotton ball, apply the solution onto the acne affected skin. Wait till it gets dry. Wash off with fresh water and repeat every alternate day.
Why it works?
Apple cider vinegar is enriched with natural anti microbial, anti septic as well as anti fungal properties, which explains why it works so effectively to fight off acne. Being a natural astringent, apple cider vinegar removes excess oil from the skin surface, thus preventing blocked pores, which is one of the main reasons behind getting acne. For the same reason, it helps to tighten pores as well.
Apple cider vinegar is a good source of AHA, and that’s why, it helps in dissolving the dirt and impurities that block the pores and cause breakouts. Regular application of apple cider vinegar helps in maintaining the pH level of the skin, thanks to its natural acidic nature. This way, it helps in protecting our skin from breakouts and other skin ailments.
Apple cider vinegar comes with several skin-friendly acids, such as acetic acid, lactic acid, citric acid as well as succinic acid – all of which help to destroy acne causing bacteria. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of apple cider vinegar fights off free radicals and prevents breakouts caused by them.
4. Aloe Vera and Garlic for Acne Control
How to use garlic and aloe vera for acne removal?
- Take 3-4 garlic cloves and remove the skin. Next crush them and squeeze the juice from the crushed garlic cloves. Take two tsp aloe vera gel or juice and add the garlic juice there. Mix together and apply it onto the acne affected skin. Gently massage with your fingertips and keep it on the skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat this remedy with Garlic for Acne Control every alternate day.
- Alternatively, crush 2-3 fresh garlic cloves and add them to half cup of water. Stir and keep it aside for 5 minutes. After that, add a tsp fresh aloe vera gel there and mix together. Apply it directly on the acne affected parts and wait till it gets dry completely. Wash off with plain water and repeat daily.
Why this works?
Aloe vera works effectively to fight off acne mainly due to its anti bacterial properties. The glycol-proteins in aloe vera offers anti inflammatory benefits, which help in giving relief from redness and pain caused by acne and soothe the skin.
Plus aloe vera is a natural astringent, that soaks up the excess oil from the face and prevents clogged pores, which further reduces the chances of breakouts. In addition, aloe vera is a source of natural salicylic acid, and we all know that salicylic acid is extremely beneficial for acne treatment. It gently exfoliates the skin and helps to unclog the pores and get rid of acne, blackheads, whiteheads etc.
Furthermore, aloe vera is loaded with several nutrients like zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium lactate, etc that also helps to get rid of acne. Being a natural anti oxidant, aloe vera is able to reduce the oxidative stress from the skin cells and prevents breakouts.
Eight Most Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples
How to Use Multani Mitti for Acne – 10 Effective Ways
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Acne – 10 Different Ways
5. Garlic and Olive Oil to Fight off Acne
How to use olive oil and garlic for acne control?
- Peel and mince couple of fresh garlic cloves and add them to few drops of extra virgin olive oil. Mix together and apply it on to the acne. Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat this remedy with Garlic for Acne Control daily to get rid of acne.
- Alternatively, mince few garlic cloves and keep it aside. Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a pan and add the minced garlic. Keep it on like this for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain out the garlic. Separate the oil and apply it on the acne affected parts of the skin. Gently massage with your fingertips. Keep it on your skin for some time and then go to bed. Use this remedy with Garlic for Acne Control as an overnight treatment and the next morning, wash off with a mild cleanser. Repeat daily.
Why it works?
Olive oil offers natural anti bacterial benefits, which is why it is regarded as a great remedy to treat acne. Since olive oil is non comedogenic, it doesn’t clog pores and can be used even on sensitive skin type. Also olive oil is a good source of anti oxidants, that help in driving away the free radicals and protect our skin from several damages, including acne.
Olive oil is also helpful in treating acne scars. Along with these, olive oil, due to its anti inflammatory benefits, reduce the swelling, redness and inflammation caused by acne. Olive oil works as a natural exfoliant and helps in dissolving the excess oil from the skin surface along with other impurities. This way olive oil unclog pores and reduce the chances of getting breakouts.
Furthermore, the vitamins and other vital nutrients present in olive oil also help with acne treatment and lighten acne scars. Olive oil is rich in mono unsaturated fatty acids along with beta carotenes, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, etc, which all contribute to healthy and clear skin.
Being a good source of vitamin E, olive oil helps to maintain the pH balance of the skin, thus avoiding skin problems like acne and pimples. Olive oil can control oil secretion in the skin. It is a natural emollient and it helps in keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized, thus preventing the over activity of sebaceous glands as well as reduce the amount of oil produced by them. This way olive oil keeps the skin oil free with less chances of acne.
6. Egg White and Garlic for Acne Control
How to use garlic and egg white to get rid of acne?
Remove the skin and crush few garlic cloves. Squeeze out the juice and apply it directly on the acne. Let it dry naturally. In the meantime, separate an egg white from the yolk and whisk it in a bowl. Once the garlic juice is completely dry, apply an even layer of the egg white on the acne affected parts. Let it stay until it dries completely. Wash it off with plain water and reapply this process with Garlic for Acne Control every alternate day.
Why it works?
Egg white alone works great for our skin, and when used in combination with garlic for acne control, you can certainly expect excellent result. It exfoliates the skin and removes the dirt and impurities stuck in the skin pores, thus clearing up the pores and reducing chances of acne.
Plus the astringent nature of egg white helps to draw out the excess oil from the skin and keeps the skin oil free. For the same reason, egg white helps to dry out existing acne as well as shrinks the skin pores and prevents accumulation of dirt and toxins in the pores.
There is an enzyme known as ‘Lysozyme’ can be found in egg white and this enzyme can destroy the acne causing bacteria and gives you clear skin. Along with that, egg white contains ‘albumin’. Albumin is a protein compound which offers anti viral benefits and helps in destroying the acne causing bacteria.
Egg white is a great source of several vitamins, amino acids and proteins, which help in getting rid of dull and damaged skin as well as solve a number of skin problems, including acne. Egg white is particularly rich in B vitamins. These B vitamins are known for their anti oxidant benefits, which protect the skin from free radical damages, including acne.
7. Garlic, Honey and Yogurt for Treating Acne
How to use yogurt, honey and garlic for acne control?
Take a few fresh garlic cloves and crush them. Keep them in a bowl and add half tsp honey and two tbsp yogurt to that. Mix nicely and apply it evenly on the acne affected parts of the skin. Let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes, post which wash off with plain water. Repeat once in every two days for faster relief from acne. This is one of the best ways to use garlic for acne control.
How it works?
Honey helps to get rid of acne and pimples due to its anti bacterial as well as anti inflammatory properties. These properties have enabled honey to destroy the acne causing bacteria effectively, specially P.acne bacteria. Plus, honey offers superb anti inflammatory properties that work wonderfully to reduce the pain, swelling and redness of acne and help with healing process.
In addition, honey comes with osmotic effect. When applied topically, honey absorbs the moisture from the clogged pores and makes it difficult for the acne causing bacteria to survive. Then it release hydrogen peroxide, which not only disinfects the pores, but also kills the bacteria present in the clogged pores and gives relief from acne.
Furthermore, honey can maintain the ideal pH balance of the skin, which is the key to healthy, acne free and soft skin. Honey has gluconic acid in it, which is an AHA, and it exfoliates the skin beautifully to prevent clogged pores and keep the skin free from breakouts. The anti oxidant benefits of honey also contribute to healthy skin.
Yogurt is considered as a great natural remedy for acne, due to its anti bacterial properties. It contains probiotics, which help to destroy the acne causing bacteria and gradually makes the skin clean and clear. Furthermore, it contains zinc, which has anti inflammatory benefits and it helps to get rid of acne and pimples.
Zinc has astringent properties which can shrink the pores and reduce excess oiliness of the skin, thus reducing the chance of breakouts. The lactic acid present in yogurt helps massively to treat acne and get clear and clean skin. Lactic acid, an AHA, works as a natural exfoliant and unclogs the pores as well as remove the impurities from the skin surface to keep the skin healthy and clear.
Since yogurt can keep the skin moisturized, it can prevent our sebaceous glands from producing excess oil and thus keep the skin oil free. This way, yogurt helps to avoid breakouts.
8. Turmeric and Garlic for Healing Acne
How to use turmeric and garlic for acne control?
Take about 6-8 garlic cloves and crush them nicely, To the crushed garlic, add a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture directly on to the acne affected parts, gently massage the skin and wait till it gets dry. Wash off with plain water and repeat this remedy with garlic for acne control once in every 2-3 days.
How it works?
Turmeric is a very powerful anti acne remedy, thanks to the presence of curcumin. Curcumin has anti oxidant benefits which blocks the free radicals and reduce oxidative stress from the skin cells, which in turn, helps to reduce the frequency of breakouts.
Researches have established that curcumin is 36 times stronger than azelic acid in combating acne and it can reduce acne bacteria growth remarkably. Plus, curcumin offers anti inflammatory benefits. It soothes the skin by reducing the redness and swelling of acne and thus, accelerate the healing process. And curcumin is also effective in controlling sebum secretion, which further helps with acne treatment.
Topical application of turmeric helps to exfoliate the skin and remove dirt and impurities that sit on the skin pores and clog them. Turmeric, by opening up the pores, reduces chances of breakouts. The anti oxidant properties of turmeric help with lightening acne scars and making the skin clear.
Tips to Remember –
- Garlic juice is quite strong, hence do not apply it directly on the skin. Always, dilute garlic juice with plain water or rose water, or mix it with other natural ingredients, such as yogurt, honey etc.
- Do not keep crushed garlic or garlic juice on the skin for long time, as it may cause burning sensation and redness of the skin.
- Always use fresh garlic cloves for skin care, because it contains more anti oxidants, than the frozen ones.
- Along with topical application, include garlic to your favorite food for added benefits and faster healing.
- Garlic has blood thinning properties which may cause bleeding problems. Therefore, pregnant women and people who have had surgery must avoid or limit using garlic.
Hope you liked the simple DIYs with garlic for acne control. Do let us know if you use garlic for skin care below in the comments.