How to Treat Teenage Acne Effectively – Tips and Remedies – Teenage is not an easy time. A teenager have to go through drastic changes, both physically and emotionally. And the last thing you would want is acne! Teenage acne is no less than a nightmare. Here in this post, we are going to discuss few simple tips and natural remedies to treat teenage acne effectively at home. Its not uncommon to face severe acne problem during puberty. In fact, acne can be considered as a prominent sign that you are now officially an adult! But, teenage acne can have a devastating affect on a teen’s self confidence. A healthy diet along with few skin care tips and home remedies can help you deal with teenage acne effectively. Below, you can find details on how to get rid of Teenage Acne effectively.
Check – Simple Beauty Tips for Teenage Girls
Before talking about the best solutions for teen acne, lets first find out what actually causes acne during the onset of puberty.
What Causes Teen Acne?
Teenage acne is mainly caused by hormonal activities inside our body. During puberty, our body starts to produce androgens (make sex hormones) and it cause the sebaceous glands (the oil glands) to enlarge. The enlarged and over activated sebaceous glands produce more oil which end up blocking the hair follicles and pores. Also, during the puberty, our skin sheds more amount of dead skin cells, some of which remains there on the top surface of the skin. The oil along with the dead skin cells clog the hair follicles and make it an ideal breeding ground for P.acne bacteria (the acne causing bacteria).
Almost all the teenagers suffer from acne. The few luckier ones get away with blackheads, whiteheads or small red zits on the cheeks or chin, while the rest have to deal with big red pimples, pus filled acne and even, cystic acne. Most of the times the parents tend to ignore that pimples or acne on their teen’s face, which appears to be the biggest problem for the latter one. However, one must not ignore teen acne and take proper precautions and steps to minimize the damage. More than physical, teen acne does the damage on emotional level. Your teen might suffer from lack of self confidence, as well as start to feel embarrassed. He or she might also become a loner and get into depression, in extreme cases. But no need to worry anymore, as here we have put together the best solutions for teen acne.
Tips to Treat Teenage Acne Effectively
1. Proper Cleansing
This is the first step towards fighting off teen acne. It is very important to clean the face twice a day with a facial cleanser. However, many at times, we tend to wash our face with a face wash more than twice a day to get rid of the oil build up. This is going to backfire as excess cleaning remove the natural oil from the face and make the oil glands over active and in turn our face gets more oily and prone to breakouts. Using a gentle face wash and luke warm water is the basic step to keep your skin clean and reduce chances of acne and pimples.
2. Follow Up with a Toner
Toner used to be a part of unnecessary beauty items for many. However, of late, the beauty world has come to recognize the importance of using toner in our skin care regime. Firstly, toner helps to remove the residue left behind on the skin by cleanser. Secondly, it closes the pores (the cleansing process open up our pores) and controls excess oil secretion, which help in preventing acne breakouts. Those with extremely oily skin, must use an astringent based toner for proper oil control.
3. Never Skip Moisturizer
We have already discussed that excess oil build up on the skin is the major reason for getting teenage acne. In such scenario, it seems like a clever idea to skip moisturizer as it might make the skin even oilier. However, never ever skip moisturizer. Lack of moisturization triggers the oil glands to produce more oil, so that our skin stays moisturized. This oil can close the pores and lead to acne. Hence moisturization is must. Moreover moisturizer goes a long way to ensure that your skin stays soft, smooth and supple in the coming years.
4. Regular Exfoliation is the Key
The secret to healthy acne free skin lies in regular exfoliation. Our regular facial cleansers can not always remove the dead skin cells from the skin. Exfoliation does exactly that. It helps in getting rid of the dead skin cells along with deep rooted dirt and grime from the face and reduces the chance of clogged pores. However, when you have active acne on the face, do avoid granular scrubs and go for AHA based exfoliators.
5. Healthy Diet
Our skin is one of the organs through which our body removes the toxic waste products. It comes after liver and kidney. When the body contains more toxins that the kidneys and liver can discharge, our skin has to go through extra pressure and it shows up in the form of acne. One of the source of toxins is processed foods. The saturated fats, high levels of sodium and sugar gets accumulated in the body as toxins. Therefore one should cut down the processed foods from the diet as much as possible for the sake of healthy skin. In addition, a teen must drink a good amount of water as water is very beneficial in flushing out toxins of the body.
6. Nutritional Supplements
Certain vitamins and minerals like, vitamin A, C, E as well as zinc, etc can help to fight off teenage acne effectively. Additionally omega 3 fatty acids are also beneficial to improve our skin’s appearance and minimize the frequency of breakouts. A parent must be careful about including natural sources of these vitamins and minerals in their teen’s diet. Vitamin E is found in green and yellow fruits and veggies as well as fish liver oil. Vitamin C can be obtained from citrus fruits such as orange, lemon, etc, berries and green veggies. Zinc can be found in egg yolk, fish, legumes, mushrooms, etc.
7. Avoid Squeezing the Acne
One must not be tempted to pop or squeeze the pimples as it can make the situation even worse. Popping up a pimple will allow germs and bacteria to enter the active blemish and increase risks of infection and deep scarring.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars with Simple Home Remedies
15 Best Face Packs for Acne Prone Skin Available in India
This is How I use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Pimples
8. Always Use Sunscreen
Sunscreen is a must all around the year. If you are taking medications for acne, it becomes all the more important to use a sunscreen before going out. Certain medications can make our skin sensitive to sun exposure, therefore, always apply a layer of sunscreen on the skin to prevent any damage. Another thing which the teens must keep in mind is that, one must use very less amount of makeup while suffering from teen acne. Whatever cosmetics they use must be natural and water based products. Anything that contains oil or chemicals might clog pores and cause breakouts.
9. Manage Your Stress
Teenage is not an easy time and one has to go through heart breaks, anxiety, low self esteem as well as peer pressure. All these can cause unnecessary stress and this can lead to acne breakouts. Studies suggest that stress can over-activate the oil producing glands and aggravate the condition altogether. So avoid stress as much as you can.
Remedies for Teenage Acne
There are many natural remedies that work effectively to get rid of teen acne and also minimize scarring. Find them out below.
1. Use Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Acne
Why it works?
Aloe vera is one of the best natural remedies for teenage acne. It comes with anti bacterial properties, which is the primary reason why aloe vera works so great to fight off acne. It also has anti inflammatory properties. Aloe vera contains glycol-proteins which can reduce inflammation caused by acne. The magnesium lactate in aloe vera can significantly reduce the itching caused by acne. Moreover, the astringent properties of aloe vera keeps excess oil away from the face, thus reducing breakouts.
We have discussed above that Vitamins C, E, as well as zinc are required to treat teenage acne and aloe vera contains all three of them, as well as many other vitamins and minerals that are required to repair damaged skin. Aloe vera is a natural source of salicylic cid which is well known for ts acne fighting properties. The anti oxidants present in aloe vera also play a major part in getting rid of acne.
How to use aloe vera for teenage acne treatment?
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to 1-2 tsp aloe vera gel. Also add 1 tsp gram flour. Finally mix everything and make a paste. Apply an even layer of the paste all over the face and wait till it gets dry. Rinse off with luke warm water and repeat twice in a week.
- In a bowl, take one tsp each of aloe vera gel and honey. Add a pinch of cinnamon powder and mix all the ingredients together. Apply this face pack all over the face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Alternatively, make a DIY anti acne face pack by mixing two tsp aloe vera gel and one tsp each of honey and lemon juice. Apply this face pack on the face with giving special attention to the acne affected parts. Let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water and reapply twice in a week to get rid of teenage acne.
2. Multani Mitti Treatments for Teenage Acne
Why it works?
Multani mitti is a time tested remedy to fight off acne and pimples. It is a rich source of magnesium chloride, which is known to prevent breakouts. Multani mitti has clarifying effect on the skin, thanks to its rich mineral content. It has exfoliating properties, which remove dead skin cells and prevent clogged pores. Furthermore, multani mitti can keep excess oil away from the face as well as fade acne scars due to its skin lighting properties.
How to use multani mitti to treat teen acne?
- Mix together one tbsp multani mitti and enough rose water to make a smooth paste. Apply on the face and allow it to dry naturally. Wash it off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Take a tbsp Multani mitti and add one tsp turmeric powder to that. Add enough amount of rose water and mix together. Once it forms a thick and smooth paste, apply an even layer on the face. Let it stay on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Alternatively, you can mix together two tsp multani mitti and one tsp sandalwood powder. Add some rose water and mix all the ingredients to prepare a thick paste. Apply it on the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
3. Use Tea Tree Oil to Fight Teen Acne
Why it works?
Tea tree oil has been widely used to treat acne effectively. It comes with natural anti septic, anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti microbial properties, which work together to clear up acne and give you clean and clear skin. It has higher dermal penetration rate, which means this essential oil can penetrate deep into our skin and unblock the clogged pores and disinfect them. This way tea tree oil helps to treat acne. Furthermore, the oil has solvent properties. It dissolves the dust and grease present on the skin and removes them effectively. Tea tree oil has astringent benefits as well. It helps to control excess oil production on the skin and prevent chances of blocked pores. The anti bacterial benefits of tea tree oil work effectively to treat cystic acne, which is common among teenagers.
How to use tea tree oil for acne treatment?
- Take some water and add few drops of tea tree oil to that. Mix well and apply the diluted tea tree oil on the acne affected parts of the face with the help of a cotton ball. Leave it on the skin like this, no need to wash off. Do this daily.
- Make a solution by adding 4-5 drops of tea tree oil to 1-2 tsp of lemon juice. Also add few drops of water and mix together. Apply the resultant mixture on the acne affected areas of the face and keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Alternatively, you can apply a mixture of 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and a tsp of coconut oil on the acne affected parts of the face. Let it sit on the skin for few hours. Wash off with luke warm water. Reapply once or twice daily.
4. Treat Teenage Acne with Neem
Why this works?
You can never go wrong with this! Neem has been used even in Ayurvedic treatments for a host of skin ailments, including acne. Neem comes with powerful antiseptic, anti fungal, antioxidant, astringent as well as anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it is considered as the safest and ultimate solution for acne and pimples. It has wonderful healing properties for our skin as well. The anti inflammatory properties of neem can soothe the irritated skin. Neem, when used topically, can restore the normal pH level of the skin and prevent the skin from getting too oily or too dry. Maintaining the ideal pH level of the skin is very important to prevent breakouts. Moreover, the anti inflammatory benefits of neem work really well to fade acne marks as well.
How to use neem for teenage acne treatment?
- Make a face pack by mixing together one tbsp of multani mitti, a tsp of neem powder, few drops of fresh lemon juice and some rose water. Prepare a smooth paste and apply an even layer of the face pack all over the face. Let it dry naturally and then, wash off with luke warm water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Prepare neem water by boiling a handful of fresh neem leaves in a cup of water. Remove from the heat and wait till the water reaches room temperature. Strain the water and collect in a container. Take two tbsp of sandalwood powder in a bowl and add required amount of that neem infused water so that it forms a nice paste when mixed together. Apply the face pack evenly on the face and let it dry naturally. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat at least once in a week.
- Alternatively, you can use neem oil to treat teenage acne effectively. Take few drops of organic neem oil on a cotton ball and apply it gently on the acne affected parts of the face. Massage the area gently with your fingertips and let it sit on the skin for 10-12 minutes. Wash off with a mild facial cleanser and luke warm water. Repeat daily.
5. Apply Honey to Combat Teen Acne
Why it works?
Here comes another effective solution for teenage acne. Honey has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties, which explains why honey is regarded as one of the most powerful natural remedies for acne. The anti bacterial benefits of honey destroy the acne causing bacteria, specially P.acne bacteria. Honey is a great healer for acne affected skin as well. It can reduce the swelling and redness of acne, thanks to its anti inflammatory properties. Honey also comes with osmotic effect. When applied on the acne, honey can absorb moisture from clogged pores, which further makes the condition unsuitable for acne causing bacteria to survive. Then, it releases hydrogen peroxide which works as an anti septic and disinfect the pores effectively to reduce the acne. Furthermore, the sebum controlling activity, along with its anti oxidant benefits, help to fight off acne effectively.
How to use honey for teenage acne treatment?
- One can use only the honey itself to treat pimples effectively. Simply take a a few drops of raw, organic honey and apply it directly on to the pimples. Massage gently with your fingertips and allow it to sit on the skin for 30-40 minutes. Rinse off and repeat daily.
- Alternatively, mix together low-fat yogurt and organic honey in 1:1 ratio. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face, while giving special attention to the acne affected parts of the face. Wait till it gets dry and apply another layer. Once the second layer gets dry as well, gently remove it with a damp wash cloth. Repeat once or twice in a week. Yogurt has significant anti bacterial properties, which, when combined with honey, work effectively to fight off teenage acne.
6. Get Rid of Teenage Acne with Apple Cider Vinegar
Why it works?
Apple cider vinegar is a very powerful remedy for teenage acne as well as adult acne. It comes with anti microbial, antiseptic and anti fungal properties, which effectively rid the skin of pesky pimples. Moreover, it has natural astringent properties which shrink pores and control oil secretion by sebaceous glands, thus, keeping the skin oil free and reducing the chances of breakouts. The acids present in apple cider vinegar effectively clear up clogged pores as well. Apple cider vinegar works as a great detox agent for our skin. It removes every trace of dirt and grime from the face and help us achieve clean, healthy skin.
How to use apple cider vinegar for acne treatment?
- Apply diluted apple cider vinegar (one part ACV and one part water) on the skin with the help of a cotton ball. Leave it on the skin until the skin absorbs it all. Rinse off with plain water. Repeat every day.
- Make a paste by mixing some baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Apply it on the acne affected parts and let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water and repeat 2-3 times in a week.
These were some of the most effective tips and natural remedies to treat teenage acne. Hope you liked the article, stay tuned for more 🙂