How to Remove Unwanted Body Hair – Best Home Remedies – Hair is a beautiful thing, it is our ‘crowning glory’, But only when it is on the scalp. Hair on different body parts, like face, hands, legs etc is never welcome. In this article, I will talk about natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair at home. This is an embarrassing problem for women. And that’s why, we are constantly looking for ways to get rid of that. Shaving, waxing or removing hair by epilator are some of the most common ways to remove body hair. Then, there is laser hair removal as well. Laser hair removal is quite costly and must be done under doctor’s supervision. So, check out below the best natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair.
Check – 25 Top Most Beautiful Girls in India
Before we go on talking about the best natural methods to remove unwanted body hair, lets first find out the common causes of excessive hair growth.
This is the most common cause of unwanted or excessive hair growth on various parts of the body. If a woman is suffering from PCOS or Polycystic ovarian syndrome, chances are high that she may experience thicker hair growth on face, thighs, abdomen, butt, etc. The main reason is that PCOS can produce excessive amount of androgens. Androgens are male sex hormones, and high level of male sex hormones in a female body can lead to excessive face and body hair growth.
Check – How to Avoid Bloating During Periods
Even if your hormonal level is perfectly balanced, it can still get disrupted once you enter the menopause. During menopause, the estrogen (female sex hormone) level decreases and androgens can cause side effects, like excess hair growth on face and other body parts.
Here is another reason why women can experience unwanted body hair growth. Obesity can alter the way our body produces and processes hormones. It is linked with PCOS as well as diabetes. We have already discussed how PCOS is related to excess body hair growth. Diabetes can affect the insulin level in our body, and when insulin levels are high, it can stimulate the production of androgens, which results in unwanted hair growth on different body parts.
Pregnancy can trigger a lot of changes inside our body, including hormone productions. The changes in hormonal levels is responsible why many women experience thicker and darker hair growth on different body parts, like face, breast, belly, thighs etc. After the pregnancy, the hormonal level gets back to normal and the hair growth also goes back being normal.
Check – 10 Best Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Your Face
Normally, thyroid problems are associated with hair loss, but sometimes, thyroid disorder can lead to excessive hair growth. However, this can differ from typical male pattern hair growth, as thyroid disorder is not directly linked with elevated levels of androgens.
These were some of the common causes of unusual body hair growth among women.
How to Remove Unwanted Body Hair with Natural Remedies
Lets talk about the solutions now. Below we have listed simple, yet most effective natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair at home.
1. Sugar, Honey and Lemon Mixture
We are starting our list with this very simple but effective remedy. The combination of sugar, honey and lemon acts like wax, and helps to remove unwanted body hair, specially from arms and legs. The procedure can be a bit painful, but it removes hair from the root itself and also delays the re-growth.
How to use sugar, honey and lemon juice to remove unwanted body hair
First, take a tbsp of sugar and a tsp each of honey and lemon juice in a bowl. Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes (using a double boiler) so that the sugar granules melt and the mixture gets sticky and liquidy. If it becomes too thick, add some water to make it spreadable. Let it reach room temperature.
Now clean the body parts where you want to remove hair from with a soap and pat dry. Dust some all purpose flour over there. With a spatula, apply the mixture of sugar, honey and lemon juice on the body, in the direction of hair growth. Once you have covered the hairs with the mixture, place a clear cotton strip over the mixture and press it gently so that it gets stuck to the mixture. Carefully pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth, to effectively remove unwanted body hair. Repeat once or twice in a month, depending on how fast your hair grows back.
2. White Pepper and Camphor Mix
This is another great natural remedy to get rid of unwanted body hair. However, this is a very powerful one, hence it can be used to remove unwanted hairs from legs only. The gentle skin on hands, back, face etc might not be able to bear the burning sensation caused by this mixture. The combined effect of white pepper and camphor destroys the hair follicles and results in significant reduction in body hair growth.
Check – How to Use Lemon to Remove Dandruff
How to prepare white pepper and camphor mix to remove unwanted body hair
In a bowl, take two tbsp of finely ground white pepper and mix it with equal amount of powdered camphor. Add few drops of almond oil to create a paste like consistency. Apply this on the legs and cover the unwanted hairs. It can cause a burning sensation, so do not leave it on the skin for more than 15 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water first and then, use cold water on the skin to soothe the irritation.
3. Use Papaya for Body Hair Removal
Papaya has natural exfoliating properties. When applied on the skin, it eliminates dirt and impurities from the skin very well. Also it has mild bleaching properties that help in enhancing the skin tone. Now, what makes papaya good for hair removal? Well, papaya comes with a special enzyme known as ‘papain’. It is a protein dissolving enzyme which can break down the hair follicles and thus, helps with unwanted body hair removal. It also helps to inhibit hair growth on the body parts where you apply papaya on regular basis. Below, we have discussed a couple of simple but effective natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair using papaya.
How to use papaya for unwanted body hair removal
- Remove skin from one raw papaya and cut it into small cubes. Prepare papaya pulp by putting them in a blender. Add one tsp of turmeric powder to 3-4 tbsp of papaya pulp. Mix together, and apply this on the body part with unwanted hairs. Let it dry naturally and then scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to remove the hairs.
- Alternatively, take 3-4 tbsp of papaya pulp and add 2-3 tbsp aloe vera gel, 1 tbsp mustard oil, 1-2 tsp gram flour and a tsp of turmeric powder to that. Combine all the ingredients together and prepare a smooth paste. Spread the paste evenly on the areas where you want the hair to be removed from. Wait till it gets dry and then scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to get rid of the unwanted body hairs.
4. Egg, Corn Flour and Sea Salt Mixture
Next comes this one on our list of best natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair. This combination of egg, corn flour and sea salt not only helps in removing the unwanted hair, but it also slows down hair re-growth. Over time, you will notice significant reduction in the appearance of body hair. Moreover, the ingredients used here are nourishing for our skin. They help in softening and brightening the skin.
How to prepare egg, corn flour and sea salt mixture to remove unwanted body hair
Take an egg and crack it open. Whisk it in a bowl. Add two tbsp corn flour and one tbsp sea salt to the egg. Mix together and apply this paste on the body parts where you have unwanted hair. Apply it in circular motion and wait till it gets semi dry. While removing, first wet your hands and scrub the skin for 4-5 minutes. Next, use a soaked wash cloth to remove the paste completely from the skin. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
5. Green Lentil, Honey and Lemon Juice Treatment
Here is a very effective natural remedy to remove unwanted body hair. All the ingredients used here are good for skin and they also aid in unwanted hair removal. This remedy exfoliates the skin gently and thus works to remove body hair.
Check – How to Remove Dark Circles using Honey
How to make green lentil, honey and lemon juice mixture for body hair removal
Take 4-5 tbsp green lentil and soak them in water overnight. The next morning grind them together to prepare a slightly tight and sticky paste. Add two tbsp lemon juice and 2-3 tbsp honey to the paste. Mix together and apply this on the hands and legs in circular motion. Scrub the skin for 3-4 minutes at least. Once done with scrubbing, let the mixture get dry completely. Now scrub once again while removing it from the skin. Repeat twice or thrice in a week and within a month you will see noticeable results.
6. Gram Flour Remedies for Unwanted Body Hair Removal
Gram flour is an excellent natural remedy to get hair-free, smooth skin. It has amazing exfoliation properties for our skin, and through exfoliation it removes the unwanted hair as well as dead skin cells. Moreover, regular application of gram flour can lighten the appearance of excess hair growth. And it doesn’t end here! Gram flour not only removes unwanted body hair, but it can inhibit the hair growth as well, over time with regular use. And, it also minimizes the chance of ingrown hairs.
How to use gram flour to remove unwanted body hair
- In a bowl, mix together enough quantity of gram flour with milk cream, milk and a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Once it forms a thick paste, apply this on the body parts where there are unwanted hair growth and allow it to dry. After that scrub it off with a wet wash cloth. Make sure you scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to get rid of the unwanted body hairs. Repeat 3-4 times in a week.
- In a bowl, take one tbsp gram flour, 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder, two tbsp mustard oil, 4 tbsp aloe vera gel, a tbsp papaya paste and few drops of lavender essential oil. Mix together all the ingredients and spread a layer on the body parts with unwanted hair growth. Wait till it gets dry completely. After that scrub it off with a wet wash cloth. Make sure you scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to get rid of the unwanted body hairs. Follow up with a moisturizer if skin feels dry. Repeat thrice in a week.
- Alternatively, make a paste by combining two tbsp each of gram flour and sandalwood powder, one tbsp mustard oil, some milk cream, a generous pinch of turmeric powder and some rose water. Apply it on the unwanted body hairs and keep it on until it gets dry. After that use a wet wash cloth to scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth in order to remove the unwanted body hairs. Use cold water to rinse off the skin. Repeat once in a week.
7. Use Sugar for Body Hair Removal
Sugar is a great natural exfoliator for our skin. The glycolic acid present in sugar dissolves the impurities accumulated in the pores and removes the unwanted hair in the process. The stickiness of sugar syrup helps in removing the hair from the roots. Over time, regular use of sugar inhibits the hair growth.
How to use sugar to remove unwanted body hair
Take a cup of sugar in a bowl and drizzle few drops of molasses (dark corn syrup). Microwave it for couple of minutes so that the sugar gets dissolved. Add some lemon juice to the mixture. Combine all the ingredients. Once the mixture reaches room temperature, spread an even layer on the body parts where you have unwanted hair growth. Make sure to dust the area with baby powder before applying the mixture. Place a waxing strip over the mixture and press that firmly. Now carefully, pull it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to remove the unwanted hairs. Wash the area with fresh, cold water. Repeat the process once or twice in a month, depending on how fast your hair grows back.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and put it in a bowl. Add a tbsp of sugar and a tsp of corn flour to the egg white. Mix all the ingredients, it won’t be a super thick paste, but a bit on the runny side. With a spatula, apply an even layer on the body parts with unwanted hair growth. Wait till it dries completely. Carefully peel it off in the opposite direction of hair growth to remove the body hairs. Repeat once in a week. Just like sugar, egg white also sticks to the skin and helps in removing the hairs from the roots.
- In a bowl, take two tbsp sugar and mix it with one tbsp each of honey and water. Heat it up slightly to dissolve the sugar and turn the mixture into a thick, tight solution. Remove from the heat and let it reach room temperature. With a spatula, spread the mixture on the area where you want to remove hair from. Place a waxing strip on it and press firmly. Now carefully pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth to remove the body hairs. Repeat once in every 10-15 days depending on how fast or slow your hair grows back.
8. Banana and Oatmeal Remedy
Next comes this one on our list of best home remedies to remove unwanted body hair. Oatmeal is a wonderful exfoliator for our skin which helps in removing unwanted hair through the process of exfoliation. Banana on the other hand, deeply cleanses the skin and keeps it soft, supple and moisturized.
How to make banana and oatmeal mixture to get rid of unwanted body hair
Take one ripe banana, peel it and mash it with the help of a fork. Add 1-2 tbsp of oatmeal into the mashed banana and mix well. Apply this paste on those parts of the body where you have unwanted hair growth. Massage in circular motion for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh, cold water. Repeat at least twice in a week.
9. Potato and Lentil Treatment to Remove Unwanted Body Hair
Lentils are great exfoliators for our skin. Topical application of lentil paste, not only unclog pores and remove the impurities, but also dislodges the hairs from the roots as well. This way lentils help in removing unwanted body hair. Potato juice offers natural bleaching benefits, which lightens the color of the hairs and make them less visible.
Check – Homemade Potato Facial Bleach for Clear and Fair Skin
How to prepare potato and lentil paste for body hair removal
Soak a handful of yellow lentils in water overnight. The next morning, remove the water and put the lentils in the grinder. Add 4 tbsp lemon juice, juice of one potato as well as 1 tbsp honey. Grind together to make a smooth paste. Apply this on the body parts with unwanted hair growth. Make sure it covers all the unwanted hairs. Allow it to dry naturally. Next, scrub it off with a wet wash cloth. Make sure you scrub it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth to remove unwanted body hair.
10. Rosewater and Alum Powder Treatment
Alum is not only a very effective ingredient for hair removal, but it has the ability to inhibit hair growth as well. Basically alum works as a natural hair retarder. We have also used tea tree essential oil and lavender essential oil in this remedy. Both of them also offer long time benefit when it comes to slow down hair growth rate. Check out below how to use alum for body hair removal.
How to prepare alum and rose water paste to remove unwanted body hair
Take a tsp of alum powder and add enough rose water to make solution. Add few drops of each tea tree oil and lavender essential oil. Now, soak a cotton pad in the solution and apply it on the unwanted body hairs. Wait till it gets dry and then apply another layer. You must continue layering on for 20 minutes. Once the solution on the skin gets dry completely, wash it off with plenty of fresh water. Apply a moisturizer to prevent dryness or irritation. Repeat not more than thrice in a week. However, if you have sensitive skin, then a patch test should be done before going ahead with this remedy.
11. Turmeric and Indian Nettle for Unwanted Body Hair Removal
This remedy gives effective result when it comes to remove unwanted body hair. Indian nettle is a wonderful herb known for removing unwanted hair both from face and body. Topical application of Indian nettle leaves, over a period of time, leads to fading and thinning of hair and it also slows down hair re-growth. When combined with turmeric, it creates a powerful remedy to remove unwanted body hair.
How to remove unwanted body hair with turmeric and Indian nettle
Grind a handful of fresh nettle leaves to make a paste. Add one tsp of turmeric powder to it. Mix together and apply a layer of the paste on the body parts where you have unwanted hair growth. Leave it on until it gets dry. Take it off by rubbing the skin in the opposite direction of the hair growth. Repeat 3-4 times per week.
12. Basil and Onion Paste Treatment
We are going to conclude this list of best natural remedies to remove unwanted body hair with this one. This combination of basil and onion works effectively for hair removal as well as keep the skin healthy and radiant.
How to prepare basil and onion paste for hair removal
Take out the thin, transparent membranes from between the onion layers and crush them along with few basil leaves. Apply it on the unwanted hairs and let it sit for 25-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat 3-4 times in a week.
So these were our top 12 picks for natural ways to remove unwanted body hair. Hope you enjoyed the post, don’t forget to share your feed back below 🙂