How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes – 10 Home Remedies – After acne and blemishes, dark circles are the thing that trouble us the most. And that’s why, we have come up with this article on how to remove dark circles under eyes. Dark circles bother both men and women. It ruins our beauty by adding years to our look and make us look so much aged! But the good news is that dark circles can be treated easily with home remedies. Dark circles are very common these days and it can occur at a young age as well. There are many concealers and color correctors available these days than can completely mask the dark circles, but one cannot always rely on the cosmetics to hide the under eye circles. So, don’t wait anymore and check out how to remove dark circles.
Check – Simple Tips to Reduce Skin Pigmentation Naturally
Before we begin our journey, let us find out more about dark circles or under eye circles as we call them commonly.
What are Dark Circles
Dark circles, or periorbital dark circles are the result of the thin layer of skin below our eyes showing the blood vessels and the blood they contain. Now, why these veins appear dark bluish, you may ask. Well, that’s because, our skin tissues only allows the blue/violet wavelengths of light to pass through it. As a result, only the blue/violet light reflects back and our veins look dark bluish.
Check – 15 Amazing Benefits of Green Tea for Skin, Hair and Health
The skin around our eyelids is known as periorbital skin and its only 0.5 mm thick compared to the average 2 mm thick on the rest of our body. As we age, our skin starts to get thinner and loses its elasticity. Also, the skin loses its ability to regenerate and becomes thinner. And so the bluish veins becomes more visible. This is why, elderly people often suffer from prominent dark circles regardless of how much they sleep.
Another reason behind developing dark circles under the eyes is periorbital hyper pigmentation. This is a condition when the skin below our eyes produce more melanin and the skin appears darker. Periorbital hyper pigmentation mostly affects the darker skinned people.
Reasons Why We Get Dark Circles
Not getting enough sleep, being tired as well as aging, all of these are the main causes that lead to heavy dark circles under the eyes. But apart from these obvious factors, there are few other things that can cause or even worsen dark circles. We have listed them below –
Bad Genes – You can probably blame your parents for the stubborn dark circles problem that you are currently facing. According to experts, there are hereditary conditions that run in the family and it can lead to under eye dark circles. And this is quite common among people with Mediterranean background.
Check – Natural Face Scrub and Face Pack to Remove Dark Spots and Wrinkles
Allergies – Eczema and other types of allergies can also cause darkness under our eyes. Allergies trigger histamines in our body that can cause the blood vessels to become swollen. We have already said that skin under our eyes are thinner and that’s why, the swollen blood vessels appear darker there.
Wrong Makeup – We use makeup to mask those pesky dark circles under our eyes, but that makeup can backfire some times and also trigger the dark circles. Certain chemicals present in our mascara, eyeliner, concealer or even foundation can bug our skin and the irritation, itching and scratching can lead to under eye dark circles.
Sun Damage – Yes, you read that right! Sun ray can also cause dark circles. The skin below our eyes is the thinnest in our body, and any damage shows up first there. Sun exposure can cause swollen blood vessels and increased blood flow and as a result, we can see darkness or dark bluish tint below our eyes.
Fatigue – The most ‘popular’ reason behind getting dark circles is this one! When our body is low in energy, it produces a chemical called ‘cortisol’ which helps our body to stay awake. In fact, cortisol increases the volume of the blood in our body which lead to swollen blood vessels including the ones under our eyes. As we have already stated that dark circles are caused when the blood vessels become visible through the transparency of our skin, so it makes sense how fatigue can lead to developing dark circles.
There you have some of the most prominent factors that can trigger dark circles under the eyes. Now lets talk about the solution. Moreover, there are various cosmetics available in the market, as well as medical treatments are also there to get rid of dark circles. But they are pretty expensive and cannot guarantee the result. On the other hand, home remedies to remove dark circles are inexpensive, safe and also produce better results in the long run.
So, lets get started with our post on how to remove dark circles under eyes using home remedies.
How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes – 10 Home Remedies
1. Almond Oil Treatment to Remove Dark Circles
Why to use almond oil to remove dark circles
Lets start our tips on how to remove dark circles with the most popular one. Almond oil is a great natural treatment to get rid of dark circles under our eyes. It is actually a very beneficial oil for the thin and delicate skin below our eyes. Almond oil is a very good source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is very beneficial for our skin. It helps to treat a number of skin concerns including dark circles. Regular use of almond oil keeps the under eye area soft, supple as well as nourished.
How to remove dark circles using almond oil
Almond oil is actually one of the simplest ways if you are thinking about how to remove dark circles under eyes. All you have to do is to massage the under eye area with few drops of almond oil every night before going to bed. Use sweet almond oil for this purpose and not the bitter one.
2. Get Rid of Dark Circles using Cucumber
Why to use cucumber to get rid of dark circles
Cucumbers are known to solve a host of skin concerns. No wonder, it has also proved to be one of the best home remedies to remove dark circles. Cucumbers have cooling astringent properties which help to calm down the swollen blood vessels under our eyes and reduces the appearance of darkness. Furthermore, cucumbers are a great source of loads of anti oxidants which are also very helpful to get rid of under eye dark circles. Not to forget, cucumbers have skin lightening and brightening properties which also play a key role in removing dark circles specially when it is caused due to hyper pigmentation.
How to remove dark circles using cucumber
Place a cucumber in the refrigerator for about 30-40 minutes. Take it out and cut 2 thick slices out of it. Close your eyes and then place them over the eyes including the area affected by dark circles. Relax for about 10-15 minutes, remove the cucumber slices and wash eyes with cold water. Repeat this home remedies to remove dark circles twice a day for 7-10 days to see noticeable difference.
3. Potatoes to Remove Dark Circles
Why to use potato to treat dark circles
Potatoes have natural bleaching agents. The vitamin C, starch and the enzymes in potatoes nourish the skin around our eyes. This in turn helps to get rid of dark circles as well as puffiness around our eyes.
How to get rid of dark circles under eyes using potatoes
There are couple of ways to use potatoes as home remedies for dark circles.
- Take one medium sized raw potato, peel it and wash it. Grate it and then extract the juice from the grated potato. Soak 2 cotton balls in potato juice and place them on the dark circles. You can put the potato juice in fridge for few minutes and then use the chilled potato juice for more comfort. Relax for 10 minutes with these cotton balls on and then remove them and use cold water to wash your eyes.
- Chill one potato in the fridge for an hour. Take it out and cut two slices from the potato. Place the slices on the dark circles and rest for 10-15 minutes. Remove and wash with cold water. Repeat these twice a day for couple of weeks for best results.
4. Remove Dark Circles by using Rose Water
Why to use rose water to remove dark circles
Rose water is one one of the best known remedies to remove dark circles. Rose water has powerful anti oxidant properties which helps to reverse the damage as well as strengthen the cells under our eyes and lighten the dark circles. It also rejuvenate the skin and also has a soothing effect on tired eyes.
Check – 7 Different Uses of Rose Water for Skin and Hair
How to remove dark circles using rose water
Take 2 cotton balls and soak then in chilled rose water. Place them over your eyes in such a way that it covers the dark circles completely. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Do this everyday for 3-4 weeks for best results.
5. Tomato Mask for Dark Circles Treatment
Why to use tomato to treat dark circles
Tomatoes contain a phyto-chemical compound known as lycopene. It is very beneficial for our skin and helps to protect our skin from damages. If the dark circles are the result of hyper pigmentation then also tomatoes are very effective to lighten them, thanks to their natural bleaching properties.
How to get rid of dark circles under eyes using tomatoes
There are couple of very simple ways to use tomatoes
- Mix together one tsp tomato juice with half tsp lemon juice. Gently apply this juice mixture on the dark circles and let it sit for 10-12 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. Repeat this remedy twice a day for few weeks until you see desired result. If you have sensitive skin, then add some rose water to this above mentioned juice mixture.
- Drinking a glass of tomato juice everyday is also very effective in reducing under eye dark circles. You can add some mint leaves, lemon juice and salt for added taste. Regular intake of tomato juice will give you desired result within a month.
6. Use Mint Leaves for Dark Circles Treatment
Why to use mint leaves to remove dark circles
Mint leaves contain menthol, which has a positive impact on blood circulation and it also helps to sooth and rejuvenate tired skin. The natural astringent properties of mint leaves help to contract the swollen blood vessels around the eyes and thus helps to get rid of dark circles. The vitamin C present in mint leaves makes the skin around our eyes appear brighter, reducing the darkness.
How to remove dark circles using mint
- Take a handful of fresh mint leaves and puree them in a blender to make a paste. Make sure the skin around your eyes is clean and free from any makeup. Now apply the mint paste on the areas where dark circles are prominent and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes. After that wipe it off with a damp cloth and then rinse the eyes with cold water. Repeat this dark circle treatment with mint every alternate day to get best results.
- One can mix mint leaves with potatoes to lighten the dark circles under the eyes. Take one potato, peel and chop it in small cubes. Take few mint leaves as well. Throw them in a blender and also add some water to get a smooth paste. Dip two cotton balls in the paste and then refrigerate the cotton balls for an hour. Take out the chilled cotton balls and place them on the dark circles. Let them sit for 15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. Repeat this everyday to get faster result.
7. Lemon Juice Home Remedies to Remove Dark Circles
Why to use lemon juice to get rid of dark circles
Lemon juice is one of the best and most effective way to get rid of dark circles under eyes. We all know that lemon juice has significant skin lightening properties. Topical application of lemon juice is very helpful in getting rid of dark circles that have been caused due to hyper pigmentation. The vitamin C present in lemon juice helps to nourish the skin, strengthens the skin cells around the eyes and reduces the dark circles. In fact, lemon juice can also tighten the blood vessels and thus reduces swelling and in turn eliminates the dark circles.
How to remove dark circles using lemon
There are very simple ways on how to remove dark circles using lemon. Check them out below –
- Extract the juice out of fresh lemons. With a cotton ball, apply the lemon juice on the skin under our eyes. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse with water. Repeat this remedy daily for best results. Those who have sensitive skin, should mix some water with the lemon juice and then use it on the skin.
- In a bowl, take 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp tomato puree and a pinch of turmeric. Also add 1/4 tsp of gram flour. Then mix all the ingredients together to form a paste. Carefully apply this paste on the skin under the eyes and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water after that. Repeat this remedy 3 times in a week for few weeks to see noticeable difference.
8. Remove Dark Circles using Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to get rid of dark circles
We know aloe vera is a miracle plant which can do wonders for our health as well as beauty. Therefore no wonders that aloe vera is considered as one of the best Home Remedies to Remove Dark Circles. Aloe vera has amazing soothing properties that helps our skin to relax. With its hydrating as well as nourishing properties, aloe vera helps to reduce the pigmentation under our eyes. The anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera also play a vital role to reduce the dark circles under the eyes.
How to remove dark circles using aloe vera
Below you will find out couple of very simple yet effective remedies for dark circles using aloe vera.
- Collect a tsp of fresh aloe vera gel from the aloe vera plant. Apply the gel on the dark circles and massage it lightly with two fingers. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes and remove them with damp cotton pads. No need to wash unless the skin feels little sticky. You can repeat this treatment twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before going to bed.
- Aloe vera gel can be used along with potato juice to get faster results. Grate one potato and then squeeze out the juice. Mix a tsp of potato juice with equal amount of aloe vera gel. Make sure the gel is diluted in the juice. Massage this mixture light handedly under the eyes for 30 seconds. Once again apply some more of the same mixture and then massage. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Remove with wet cotton balls and wash off with plenty of water.
9. Use Argan Oil to Remove Dark Circles
Why to use argan oil to treat dark circles
Argan oil is very light textured and that’s why it gets absorbed pretty fast in to the skin. This oil is rich in vitamin E content as well as anti oxidants which is why it is regarded as one of the best treatment for dark circles. Moreover, argan oil, when used on the skin, repair the tissues of the skin under the eyes and also restore its natural radiance. It is also very beneficial in reducing wrinkles, fine lines as well as fixing sun damage.
How to remove dark circles using argan oil
It is very easy to use argan oil. All you need to do is to massage few drops of argan oil on the skin under the eyes for few minutes. Let it be there overnight and rinse in the morning. Doing this regularly is very effective in getting rid of dark circles.
10. Home Remedies to Remove Dark Circles using Green Tea
Why to use green tea to remove dark circles
Green tea bags are effective to remove dark circles. We know that green tea is loaded with anti oxidants as well as caffeine which help to shrink the swollen blood vessels under our eyes and also reduce the fluid which in turn reduces the appearance of dark circles. It also contains tannins that stimulates blood circulation. Moreover, green tea also is known for its anti inflammatory properties that helps in removing under eye fluid build up. The alkaloids in green tea encourage healthy cell growth around our eyes.
How to remove dark circles under eyes with green tea
Here is a simple tip. Steep 2 green tea bags in a glass of hot water for few minutes. Take them out and also squeeze to remove any excess liquid. Place the tea bags in a fridge for about 15-20 minutes. After that place those chilled tea bags on the eyes and leave them for 15-20 minutes. Remove them and use plenty of cool water to rinse the face.
These are top 10 tried and tested home remedies on how to remove dark circles under eyes. I hope you found them useful. What is your preferred dark circle treatment ? Do share with us in the comment box below. 🙂