How to Improve Hair Texture with Natural Remedies – Our hair can be of different types – straight, curly, wavy. But regardless of the type, we all want to have smooth and soft hair. And in the desire to attain that, many at times, we make our precious locks to go through a lot of chemical treatments and end up ruining our hair texture. Here in this article, we are going to share few natural remedies that can improve hair texture. We are getting busier with every passing day which leaves us with almost no time for hair care. This also ruins the hair texture. Lack of nourishment and care causes dryness and dullness of the hair. But with the help of right natural remedies, you can get softer, smoother hair. So, let’s find out How to Improve Hair Texture with Natural Remedies.
Check – 8 Most Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal
Before we start with our best natural remedies to improve hair texture, let us take a quick look at the factors that can damage the softness and smoothness of our hair.
Factors that Ruin Hair Texture
- Hormonal issues
- Nutritional deficiency
- Certain medications like painkillers, acne controlling drugs, etc.
- Frequent shampooing
- Using heat styling tools frequently
- Lack of hair wash
- Chemical hair treatments
- Alcohol consumption on regular basis
- Extreme weather condition
No matter which of these factors damages your hair texture, the first thing you must do is to stop it then and there and take good precautions to stop further damage. Lets find out the best natural remedies to Improve Hair Texture.
Natural Remedies to Improve Hair Texture
1. Improve Hair Texture with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies to improve hair texture. It is a good source of fatty acids, which help to moisturize dry, rough hair and make them soft and shiny once again. Since coconut oil contains a lot of nutrients, it helps to provide a boost of nourishment to damaged hair and reverse the damage effectively.
When used regularly, it helps in locking the moisture in the hair strands as well as prevent excess moisture build up, both of these can end up ruining our hair texture. Coconut oil can penetrate the hair follicles and hair shafts deeply and get rid of the damage from within. The anti oxidants and vitamins and minerals in coconut oil work together to give us healthy and nourished hair.
Coconut oil, when used topically, protects the scalp as well as hair from sun, wind, pollution, and other damaging impurities. It also helps in boosting blood circulation in the scalp, which makes the hair roots stronger and promotes healthy hair growth, thus increasing hair volume.
Furthermore, the linoleic acid and oleic acid in coconut oil keep the hair hydrated and make hair thicker and stronger by improving its natural elasticity. Regular application of coconut oil is also quite beneficial to fight off dandruff as well as hair loss.
How to use coconut oil to improve hair texture?
- Slightly heat up 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil in a bowl and apply that warm oil all over the scalp. Massage with your fingertips in circular motions for 5-6 minutes. Wait for an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat the entire process twice or thrice in a week.
- Add two tsp honey to a tbsp coconut oil and mix together to prepare a thick concoction. Apply it all over the scalp and length of the hair from the roots till the ends. Leave it on the hair for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat once or twice in a week.
- Cut one ripe avocado in half and remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and then mash it nicely. To the mashed avocado add a tbsp cold pressed coconut oil and mix both the ingredients together. Apply the mixture all over the scalp and hair and gently massage for few minutes. Let it sit for an hour and use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Peel two ripe bananas and mash them in a bowl. Add one tbsp each of coconut oil and honey to it. Mix the ingredients together, prepare a paste and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Wait for 20-30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo and repeat this treatment twice in a week to improve hair texture.
2. Improve Hair Texture Naturally with Onion Juice
Onion juice is the source of Sulfur and Quercetin – two very important ingredients for healthy hair. They help in boosting hair growth and strengthening of hair. Keratin, which is a type of protein, contains a high amount of sulfur.
Our hair is primarily made of keratin, which is responsible for the strength and elasticity of our hair. Therefore, when the sulfur level decreases, our hair turns dry and brittle. Sulfur present in onion juice help to fill up the deficiency.
Along with that, sulfur helps in boosting blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn ensure maximum nourishment for the hair follicles and induce new hair growth. Quercetin comes with anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties. It neutralizes the free radicals and prevent hair damage.
In addition, onion juice contains biotin. Biotin is a major vitamin, which is important for healthy skin and hair. And that’s not all, onion juice is a great source of various nutrients, such as vitamin C, manganese, phosphorous, folic acid, flavonoids, etc. which nourish the hair follicles and stop hair loss as well as promote hair growth.
Along with increasing hair growth, onion juice is equally effective to prevent dandruff and premature graying of hair.
How to use onion juice to improve hair texture?
- Peel one medium sized onion and cut it into two halves. Grate both the halves and extract the juice. Massage the onion juice directly on the scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and repeat the process 2-3 times in a week.
- Extract the juice of one grated onion and add one tsp of honey and 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil to the onion juice. Mix them together and use the mixture to massage your scalp. Keep it on the hair for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Take one medium sized onion and grate it. Extract the juice from grated onion. Take two tbsp onion juice in a bowl and mix it with a tbsp olive oil. Apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and gently massage with your fingertips. Keep it on for at least an hour and then wash it off using a mild shampoo. Do this 2-3 times in a week.
- Add two tbsp onion juice to 3-4 tbsp of coconut milk and mix together. Gently massage it onto the scalp and keep the mask on for an hour. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and reapply this remedy to improve hair texture 3-4 times in a week.
3. Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera works as a great natural hair conditioner, which helps to get rid of hair dryness and smoothen out hair beautifully. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and other wonderful nutrients, which nourish the hair follicles and helps to improve hair texture.
When used regularly, aloe vera makes our hair look shiny and beautiful. One of the best benefits of using aloe vera on hair is that it is able to penetrate the hair shaft and hair follicles effectively due to the similar chemical composition to keratin, which is the primary protein present in our hair cells. Aloe vera, due to its anti oxidant benefits, work extremely well to repair hair damage from within and make the hair healthy, soft and shiny.
In addition, aloe vera can maintain the pH balance of the scalp, which is also essential to maintain healthy and soft hair. When pH balance gets disrupted it can cause serious hair problems. Aloe vera can increase blood circulation to the scalp, which leads to healthy hair growth.
Often our hair can lose its natural black color and look reddish due to the excess sun exposure or frequent chemical treatments. Using aloe vera hair mask regularly can resolve this problem.
How to use?
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe vera leaf and add some water to it. Mix together to prepare a runny paste. First wash your hair with shampoo and then massage this hair mask all over the damp hair starting from the roots till the ends. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and wash it off with plain water. This is a great way to use aloe vera to improve hair texture.
- Add 3 tbsp yogurt and 2 tbsp olive oil to 4 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel. Combine all the ingredients to form a homogeneous mixture. Apply this mixture on the scalp giving special attention to the hair follicles. Also don’t avoid the length of the hair. Wait for 30-40 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat once in a week to improve hair texture.
- Mix together half a cup of fresh aloe vera gel and an egg yolk. Also add some olive oil to that and mix all the ingredients. Massage it onto the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30-40 minutes and rinse off with a mild shampoo. Reapply twice in a week.
- Combine aloe vera gel and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Apply the mixture all over the scalp and hair. Keep it on the hair for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this natural remedy to improve hair texture twice in a week.
4. Improve Hair Texture with Yogurt
Yogurt is known for its moisturizing qualities, not only for skin, but for hair as well. It acts as a hair conditioner and helps to smoothen dry and rough hair effectively. Also it makes hair shiny. Yogurt is a source of beneficial proteins, which help to neutralize the affect of protein loss.
Since our hair is primarily made of protein (keratin), hence any protein loss can affect our hair texture negatively and makes it rough. The proteins in yogurt along with its lactic acid content help to improve hair texture. When applied on the scalp, yogurt provides moisturization and reduce the itchiness of the scalp. Also lactic acid present in yogurt helps in exfoliating the scalp and removes the impurities, which leads to clean and healthy scalp.
The anti oxidant properties of yogurt prevent any free radical damages to our hair. Also yogurt restore the ideal pH balance of the scalp, which is also essential for healthy and beautiful hair. Being rich in proteins and other vital nutrients, yogurt nourishes the hair follicles and induces new hair growth to add to the hair volume.
Yogurt is rich in vitamin B, D and proteins which help to grow long hair. Regular application of yogurt is very beneficial in treating dandruff as well.
How to use yogurt to improve hair texture?
- Apply a cup of plain, fresh yogurt all over the scalp and hair. Massage gently for few minutes with your fingertips. Wait for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Add a tbsp of honey to 2-3 tbsp of yogurt and mix together. Massage this mixture onto the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes, post which rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with 4-5 tbsp of plain, fresh yogurt. Apply the hair mask all over the scalp and hair. Leave the mask on for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat this natural treatment to improve hair texture once or twice every week.
- Prepare papaya pulp by blending a cup of fresh papaya cubes and add 2-3 tbsp of fresh yogurt to that. Mix together and apply the mixture all over the scalp and hair, massaging gently. Leave the hair mask on for 30-45 minutes and then use a gentle shampoo to wash it off. Reapply twice in a week.
- Mix together 2-3 tbsp of almond oil and half cup of fresh yogurt. Apply the resultant mixture onto the hair and scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this process once or twice in a week.
5. Use Olive Oil to Improve Hair Texture
Olive oil provides amazing moisturization for dry and damaged hair, thanks to the presence of both omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids in it. These two fatty acids play a major role to improve hair texture as omega 6 fatty acids prevent moisture loss from the hair, whereas, omega 9 fatty acids softens rough hair. It also helps in keeping away scalp dryness.
When massaged onto the scalp, it adds moisturization and nourishment to the scalp, thus providing relief from the dry as well as itchy scalp. Regular massage with olive oil boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn rejuvenates the hair follicles to grow thicker hair strands. Improved blood circulation is also helpful to repair the damaged hair strands.
Olive oil helps to strengthen the hair strands from roots to the tips, thanks to the presence of essential nutrients as well as mono unsaturated fatty acids in olive oil. This way, it strengthens the hair strands and helps to prevent hair fall.
The healthy fat and vitamin E content in olive oil strengthen the hair strands and prevent breakage. Furthermore the anti oxidant properties of olive oil help in fighting off free radicals and preventing and repairing the damages done to the hair.
How to use olive oil for better hair texture?
- Take 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a bowl and heat it up slightly. Apply that warm oil all over the scalp as well as hair. Massage gently with your fingertips in circular motions for 10 minutes. Wait for an hour and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together equal amount of olive oil and coconut oil and massage this oil mixture on to your scalp as well as hair length. Keep it on the scalp for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Separate one egg yolk and keep it in a bowl. Add a tbsp each of honey and olive oil there. Mix all the ingredients nicely and prepare your hair mask. Apply the hair mask all over the hair, covering from the roots to the tips. Leave it on the hair for 30-40 minutes and then, wash off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mix together 2 tbsp each of fresh, plain yogurt and olive oil in a bowl. Apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp as well as hair length, massaging gently with your fingertips for few minutes. Leave it on for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat this treatment twice in a week.
6. Get Soft Hair with Banana Hair Mask
Bananas are very effective to improve hair texture. Topical application of banana makes hair manageable as well as moisturized. Banana is a good source of anti oxidants and various nutrients such as, potassium, vitamins, calcium, carbohydrates as well as natural oils.
These nutrients are very beneficial to provide nourishment to our hair and restore healthy, smooth and soft hair. The potassium present in banana repairs rough hair effectively. And its anti oxidants benefits help to maintain healthy and smooth hair. Banana, when used on the hair, helps to seal cuticles and also get rid of split ends effectively.
Bananas can restore the natural elasticity of our hair and this is one of the biggest benefits of using banana hair mask. The fruit also adds a natural shine to our hair as well as nourishes the hair follicles and leads to healthy hair growth.
How to prepare banana hair mask for soft hair?
- Take one ripe banana, mash it and mix it with 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Apply the mixture on the hair and scalp. Allow the mask to sit for 30-40 minutes and then wash it off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mash one ripe banana in a bowl. To the mashed banana, add one tbsp each of raw honey and coconut oil. Mix everything nicely and apply the resultant mixture all over your scalp and hair, massaging gently. Keep the hair mask on for 30-40 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Reapply this treatment once or twice weekly.
- Take one ripe banana and cut it into small pieces. In a blender, put the banana pieces as well as one egg yolk and blend them together. To this mixture, add a tbsp of coconut oil. Again mix it together and apply the resultant mixture on the hair from root to tips. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Wash off with cold water and a mild shampoo. Reapply this once in a week.
- Mash one ripe avocado as well as one ripe banana. Mix them together and add two tbsp almond oil to that. Give it a final mix and apply this hair mask on the scalp and hair. Let the mask stay for 30-40 minutes. Wash off everything with luke warm water as well as a mild shampoo. Repeat this process once or twice in a week.
These were few simple tips on how to improve hair texture naturally at home. The best thing about using these natural remedies is that they are all natural and safe to use. Even people with sensitive skin and hair can use it without any worry. Plus these natural remedies are cost effective and it will save the money you spend for spa treatments at salon.