How to Grow Nails Faster – Best Tips and Home Remedies – Beautiful nails add to one’s beauty. All of us want our nails to grow fast and long, because long nails look beautiful. So here we have come up with this article on how to grow nails faster. Healthy nail growth is a clear indication of one’s good internal health as well. According to a research in University of Carolina, our nails grow at a rate of 3.47 mm/month. Our fingernails grow faster than our toe nails, but the growth rate is quite slow. There are several factors that contribute to slow nail growth, like biting nails, cutting them improperly, lack of nutrients etc. If you want to grow your nails fast, don’t waste anymore time and check out below how to grow nails faster at home with natural remedies.
Check – Colorbar Ultimate Nail Enamel Remover Orange Chocolate
Before we move on to the tips and remedies on how to grow nails, lets first find out what are the factors that can affect our nail growth.
Reasons for Slow Nail Growth
Just like our hair, the nails are also made of keratin, layers of keratin protein cells to be specific. There are two parts of our nails – the hard part of the nail is called ‘Nail Plate’ and the sensitive skin underneath is known as ‘Nail bed’. The material which forms the nail plate grows in the ‘matrix’ which is located under the cuticle. Nail growth is normally on the slower side, but there are several factors that can hinder the growth of our nails. So, lets check out what are the reasons that our nails don’t grow –
Check – How To Get Rid of Yellow Nails
Age – Aging slows down our nail growth. Actually, the speed of an individual’s nail growth keeps on changing throughout their entire life. An infant has slower rate of nail growth, but a child has faster nail growth rate than adults. We experience fastest nail growth at the age of 10-14 and after that, nail growth begins to slow down with age.
Season – Our nails grow faster in warm season, and during cold weather, it tends to slow down.
Hormones – The American Academy of Dermatology has suggested that hormonal imbalance is also responsible for slower nail growth rate. However, hormones can actually affect the nail growth even in healthy people. Women normally experience faster nail growth rate during pregnancy as well as right before menstruation begins. Also women can notice slower nail growth during lactation.
Location – The location of our nails also play key role in our nail growth rate. Toe nails have slower growth rate than finger nails. Also each of the finger nails has different growth rate. The nail on the pinky finger has slowest growth rate. The thumb nail also grows slowly. Normally the nails on the index finger and the middle finger grows the fastest.
Interestingly, people who use their hands a lot on daily basis experience faster nail growth than those who don’t use their hands much.
Cutting – Cutting your nails on regular basis is helpful in increasing the growth rate of nails. However cutting nails too short tend to affect the nail growth.
Health condition – According to experts, the nail growth and the condition of nails is actually an indicative of our overall health condition. For example, yellow nails can indicate diabetes, whereas yellowing thick nails with slow growth rate can be a symptom of lung condition.
These were the most common factors that hinder our nail growth rate. But the good news is nail growth rate can be repaired with the help of natural home remedies.
How to Grow Nails Faster – 12 Best Tips and Home Remedies
Check out below how to grow nails faster with the help of home remedies.
1. Grow Nails Quickly with Lemon and Coconut Oil
How to Grow Nails faster with lemon and coconut oil
Take a tbsp of coconut oil and to this add 5-6 drops of lemon juice. Microwave it for 20 seconds. Soak the nails in this solution for 10 minutes. Massage your nails gently to let this solution get absorbed. Repeat this remedy on daily basis to grow nails faster.
Why to use lemon and coconut oil for nail growth
Lemon juice contains vitamin C which is very essential to grow nails faster. It also removes the yellow stains from the nails and adds a bright shine. Lauric Acid present in coconut oil strengthens and nourishes the cuticles and facilitates healthy nail growth.
2. Use Olive Oil to Grow Nails
How to Grow Nails Faster with olive oil
- Next on our list of natural ingredients that help to grow nails faster comes olive oil. It is very simple to use olive oil. All you have to do is heat up some olive oil and massage your nails with that at night before going to bed. Keep on massaging for at least 5 mins. Wear gloves and let it stay overnight.
- Another way to use olive oil to grow nails faster is to use it as a nail soak. Heat up some olive oil and dip your nails in that for 15-20 minutes. Remove your fingers and massage to let the oil get absorbed. These are some of the best home remedies to grow nails faster using olive oil.
- Mix half cup of tomato juice and 2 tbsp olive oil in a bowl to prepare a DIY nail soak. Dip the fingers in this solution for 10 minutes and then rinse off with plain water. This is a great natural remedy for faster nail growth using tomato and olive oil.
Why to use olive oil for nail growth
Often poor blood circulation leads to slower nail growth. Olive oil contains vitamin E which is very effective in improving blood circulation and thus helps to grow nails faster. Olive oil also nourishes and moisturizes the nails to keep them healthy and beautiful.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Neem Leaves for Skin, Hair and Health
3. Egg Shell Remedy for Faster Growing Nails
How to use egg shell to grow nails faster
Crush the egg shells and put them in a blender. Add some almonds, pecans and flaxseeds to the blender and blend until you get a smooth powder. Take a tsp of this powder each morning with warm milk. Repeat everyday for a month to see changes in your nail growth rate.
Why to use egg shells for nail growth
We normally throw away the egg shells without knowing about their benefits. Egg shells are very helpful to grow nails faster. They are rich in calcium, iron, protein, magnesium as well as potassium. All these nutrients nourish and strengthen our nails.
4. Grow Nails Fast using Garlic
How to use garlic to Grow Nails Faster
- Garlic is quite beneficial for our overall health. But many of us do not know that garlic can be used to grow nails faster. Take one garlic clove, cut it in half and then rub one half of the garlic clove on your nails. Continue rubbing for few seconds and then wait for some time so that the garlic juice gets absorbed.
- Alternatively you can also blend few garlic cloves and make a paste. Apply it on the nails, massage and keep them on for 3-5 minutes. Do this daily for a week to grow nails faster.
Why to use garlic to grow nails fast
Sometimes nail fungus can hinder the proper growth of our nails. In such scenarios garlic comes very handy. The anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of garlic helps to get rid of nail fungus and allow the nails to grow longer and stronger. Garlic also contains sulfur which has the ability to strengthen brittle nails and encourage healthy nail growth.
5. Use Orange Juice for Beautiful Nails
How to Grow Nails Faster with orange juice
- Next on our list of the tips on how to grow nails faster comes orange juice. Take some fresh orange juice in a bowl and soak the nails in it for 10-15 minutes. Wash off the hands with warm water and follow up with a moisturizing hand cream. Follow this remedy once everyday to grow nails faster.
- Alternatively, you can also add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a cup of fresh orange juice and use the solution to soak your nails. Dip your fingers in the mixture and wait for 10-12 minutes. Now rinse it off with plain water, pat dry and apply some moisturizing hand cream.
Why to use orange juice for nail growth
Orange juice is very beneficial to boost up our nail growth. It is a rich source of folic acid and vitamin C which are known to grow nails faster. Vitamin C is very effective to boost the production of collagen which helps to make the nails healthier and stronger. The large amount of folic acid also play a key role to grow nails faster.
Check – 10 Most Effective Home Remedies for Head Lice That Really Work
6. Horsetail Home Remedy to Grow Nails
How to use horsetail to Grow Nails Faster
- Horsetail is a natural herb which is very beneficial to grow nails faster. Boil a cup of water and add a tbsp of horsetail herb to it. Let it simmer for next 10 minutes and then strain the solution. Let it cool down and come to room temperature. Dip your fingers in the solution and leave it like that for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with plain water.
- Alternatively, consuming horsetail tea once or twice daily is also quite helpful in boosting nail growth.
Why to use horsetail for nail growth
Horsetail is a great source of minerals. It contains a high amount of silica. Silica is known to help in nail growth as well as strengthening brittle nails. Horsetail used to be a very popular herb among the ancient Greeks, Chinese and Roman herbalists due to its medicinal benefits. It has powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic as well as antimicrobial properties. Horsetail herb is a powerhouse of many nutrients, like calcium, manganese, iron, saponins, flavonoids, tannins, alkaloids, phytosterols, fatty acids etc. No wonder this herb is a wonderful natural remedy to grow nails Faster.
7. Sweet Potatoes for Nail Growth
How to use sweet potatoes to Grow Nails Faster
The best way to use sweet potatoes is by adding them to our daily diet. Cook sweet potatoes with water in a pressure cooker for 7-10 minutes. Once the cooking is done, let it cool and carefully remove the skin from the potatoes. Try to consume at least 3 cup servings of boiled sweet potatoes on daily basis for longer and stronger nails.
Check – How to Remove Facial Hair Naturally
Why to use sweet potatoes to encourage nail growth
Sweet potatoes are very high in Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. Lack of Vitamin A is a main cause of slow nail growth. Beta-carotene is a great antioxidant which promotes faster growth of nails. Beta-carotene is very effective in strengthening both collagen and elastin which facilitates healthy nail growth. Sweet potatoes act as a super food for our nails and help to grow nails faster.
8. Use Lemon for Faster Growing Nails
How to use lemon to Grow Nails Faster
- There are quite a few ways to use lemon juice to grow nails faster. Mix lemon juice and olive oil in 1:3 ratio. Microwave this solution so that it becomes warm a little bit. Soak your nails in this solution for 10 minutes. Do this method daily to grow nails faster.
- Alternatively you can also rub a slice of fresh lemon on the nails for 5-6 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and then use a hand cream to moisturize the nails. Repeat this method daily.
- Squeeze a lemon to collect its juice. Take 2-3 garlic cloves and remove their skin. In a bowl, add the garlic cloves, lemon juice and some olive oil and mix all the ingredients nicely. Dip your nails in this mixture and let them be there for 10 minutes. Rinse off with plain water.
Why to use lemon for nail growth
Lemon juice is very rich in vitamin C which helps to nourish the nails and aids in nail growth. Lemon juice is also very useful to remove the yellow stains of the nails. It also helps to make the nails shiny.
9. Coconut Oil Treatment to Grow Nails Fast
How to use coconut oil to Grow Nails Faster
- Next comes coconut oil on our list of natural remedies to grow nails faster. Simply take some coconut oil and massage it all over the hands including cuticles and nails for few minutes. Do it as an overnight treatment and repeat this daily for few weeks to grow nails faster.
- In a bowl, mix together 1/4 cup each of coconut oil and honey. To this add 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil. Microwave this mixture for 20 seconds to warm it up a bit. Soak your nails in this for 10-15 minutes. Massage well and then remove the excess oil with a damp cloth. Repeat this remedy every alternate day for couple of weeks to grow nails faster.
Why to use coconut oil to encourage nail growth
Coconut oil is a great way to prevent moisture loss from our nails. The nutrients present in coconut oil can help to strengthen the nails and cuticles as well as make the nails shiny. Moreover, coconut oil is a great natural solution for nail fungus, which can also stop nail growth. Lauric Acid in coconut oil also strengthens and nourishes the cuticles and facilitates healthy nail growth.
10. Use Stinging Nettle for Growing Nails Faster
How to use stinging nettle to Grow Nails Faster
Stinging nettle or nettle leaf is another amazing ingredient. Take 2-3 tsp dried nettle leaves and add in a cup of hot water. Cover and let it steep for several hours. Strain the water and add some honey to this. This is how you prepare nettle tea. Drink this tea everyday to encourage nail growth.
Why to use stinging nettle for nail growth
Nettle leaves are very nourishing and is quite popular as a food and medicine for centuries. It is known for its high mineral content which is very beneficial for healthy nail growth. Also nettle leaves contain vitamins, silica and phytonutrients such as chlorophyll and carotenoids. All these together aids in faster and healthier nail growth.
Check – How to do Foot Pedicure at Home
11. Flaxseed Oil for Faster Nail Growth
How to use flaxseed oil for nail growth
Not only coconut oil, there is flaxseed oil also that can facilitate nail growth. Take a small amount of flaxseed oil and massage your nails with that. Keep massaging for 10-15 minutes and then wear gloves so that the oil remains there for few hours. It is best when used as an overnight treatment. Repeat this daily for several weeks to see significant changes in your nail growth.
Why to use flaxseed oil for long nails
Flaxseed oil is a great source of important nutrients like, thiamine, magnesium and omega-3 fats. Omega-3 fats are very helpful towards the development of nail plate and also to protect the nails from splitting. Thiamine and magnesium are also quite crucial for longer and healthier nail growth. Flaxseed oil also contains B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, protein, lecithin, zinc etc which are essential for healthy nails.
12. Grow Nails Stronger and Faster with Banana
How to use banana for faster nail growth
Bananas are excellent for our overall health, including our nail health. If you are losing sleep over lack of nail growth, all you need to do is to add banana to your daily diet. You can have them in the morning breakfast with your cereals or oats. Alternatively, you can eat bananas as your mid day or mid afternoon snack.
Why to eat banana for beautiful nails
Banana is loaded with zinc and silica, two of the vital elements for healthy nail growth. They can strengthen brittle nails and enhance the look of our nails. Moreover, bananas contain vitamin B6, which is known as the most important vitamin for shiny, healthy and beautiful nails.
So, these were 12 home remedies to grow nails faster. But that’s not all, we also have some important tips to share with you that will improve the look and feel of your nails. Check them out below.
Tips to Grow Nails Faster
- Use extra virgin olive oil to massage your nails and cuticles every night. Do not remove, let it stay overnight and wash off in the morning.
- Always wear base coat before applying nail polish. This way, the chemicals present in nail polish won’t be able to come in direct contact with the nails.
- Just like our skin, the nails also need regular exfoliation. Use a baking soda paste or a brown sugar scrub to exfoliate the dead cells accumulated on the cuticles and nail bed. Never skip moisturizing your nails right after exfoliation.
- While doing house chores, try to wear a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands and nails.
- Before wearing the gloves, massage your hands and nails with generous amount of your favorite hand lotion. This is a great little tip to condition the nails and allow them to grow longer and stronger.
- Moisturize your nails after washing your hands with soap.
- Use a nail strengthening base coat for healthy nails.
- Always use acetone-free nail polish remover while removing nail polish.
- Fix your chipped nail polish as soon as possible, because it can make your nails more prone to breakage.
- If you are suspecting any nail fungus, use few drops of tea tree oil to massage the nails. Doing this regularly for few days will fix the problem.
- Take biotin supplements. Biotin is very helpful in the growth of nails and hair. It can be found in foods, such as bananas, avocados and salmon. You can also consume biotin in the form of supplements. You need to consume 30-40 micrograms of biotin per day for healthy and strong nails.
These were our home remedies and some important tips to grow nails faster. It is quite disheartening to find that our nails are not growing at all. But with these remedies you can now fix the issue and enjoy healthy, beautiful and strong nails 🙂