How to Get Rid of Whiteheads using – 11 Simple Home Remedies – As if blackheads were not enough, whiteheads are there to add to our skin woes. They look ugly and sometimes can cause pain as well. So, here we have come up with a article on how to get rid of whiteheads using 11 simple home remedies. Both blackheads and whiteheads are caused due to clogging of pores due to dirt, sebum and dead skin cells. Whiteheads are also known as ‘closed comedones’ and they appear on the chin, forehead and nose. Blackheads are normally black in color, while the whiteheads are either white or yellowish. Whiteheads are common in oily and acne prone skin, but don’t lose your sleep over them, as we are all set to share the best home remedies for whiteheads. Check them out below.
Check – Amazing 2 Ingredient Home Remedies to Get Rid of Blackheads
Below we are going to discuss some of the most effective home remedies on how to get rid of whiteheads, but before that lets find out what causes whiteheads.
What causes Whiteheads
The sebaceous glands or the oil glands on our skin release natural oil or more commonly known as sebum on the surface of our skin. This normally occurs within the pore structure or the pilosebaceous units. Whiteheads occur when sebum, hair and dead skin cells block the PSU. The bacteria which are there on the outer layer of our skin get attracted to the clogged pores and begin to grow there. This, in turn, leads to inflammation. This way, when an enlarged hair follicle gets trapped under the surface of the skin, it shows up as a white bump or whitehead.
Check – How to Shrink Open Pores Naturally
By now, you already have understood that clogged pores are the main culprit behind getting whiteheads. Now the blockage of pores can happen due to several reasons. They are
- Excessive sebum production
- Hormonal changes inside the body
- Extremely humid weather condition
- Taking birth control pills
- Using certain cosmetics or skin care products not ideally meant for acne prone skin
How to Get Rid of Whiteheads – 11 Simple Home Remedies
Lets now check out effective yet simple home remedies on how to get rid of whiteheads.
1. Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Why to use baking soda to remove whiteheads
The first on our list of how to get rid of whiteheads is baking soda. Baking soda has numerous uses for our skin and one of them is to get rid of blackheads. It has gentle exfoliating properties that removes the oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the clogged pores and clears off whiteheads. Furthermore baking soda is also helpful to maintain the pH balance of the skin, which is the key to having a healthy skin.
How to get rid of whiteheads using baking soda
- Take a tsp of baking soda and mix it with some water to form a thick paste. Apply it directly on to the affected area and let it sit for few minutes. Wash off and repeat this home remedy for whiteheads 2-3 times a week until you get desired result.
- Another way to use baking soda to remove whiteheads is by mixing half tsp of baking soda with 2 tbsp honey. Form a thick paste and apply it on to the affected area and massage for 5 minutes. Let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Wash it off with luke warm water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar to remove Whiteheads
Why to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of whiteheads
Apple cider vinegar is a great natural beauty ingredient for our skin. The main reason that ACV is considered as one of the best home remedies for whiteheads is due to its acidic properties. ACV makes it difficult for the bacteria to grow inside the clogged pores and gradually dry out the whiteheads. Check out below to know how to use ACV in home remedies for whiteheads.
Check – Healthvit Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
How to get rid of whiteheads using apple cider vinegar
- Take a tsp of ACV and to this add 3 tsp of cornstarch and some water to get a thin paste. Apply this on the white heads directly and wait for at least 15 minutes. Wipe it off with a clean cloth soaked in warm water.
- Alternatively, you can also use ACV directly on to the whiteheads with the help of a cotton ball. Let it sit for few minutes until it dries naturally. No need to rinse off. Doing this every alternate day will show effective results. But make sure you do not apply too much of ACV.
3. Oatmeal Mask for Whiteheads Treatment
Why to use oatmeal to cure whiteheads
Next on our list of how to get rid of whiteheads is this one. Oatmeal is not only moisturizing, but it also has great exfoliating properties for our skin. When applied on skin, oatmeal helps to get rid of accumulated dead skin cells, dirt and other impurities. Also, it helps to absorb excess oil and open up the pores and gradually helps to get rid of whiteheads.
How to remove whiteheads using oatmeal
Below we have discussed couple of remedies on how to get rid of whiteheads on nose
- Make a scrub by mixing together 2 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp each of lemon juice and honey and 4 tbsp powdered oatmeal. Also add a tbsp apple cider vinegar. Apply it on damp skin and leave it on for 20 minutes. Gently massage while rinsing it off.
- Alternatively make a paste by mixing together powdered oatmeal and water. Apply it on to the affected area. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then scrub it off. This will not only exfoliate the skin but also minimize the pores and reduce whiteheads.
4. Apply Honey for Whiteheads
Why to use honey to get rid of whiteheads
Now what makes honey one of the best remedies for whiteheads? Honey has natural anti bacterial properties that helps to get rid of whiteheads. Also honey is quite moisturizing and soothing for skin.
How to get rid of whiteheads by using honey
- Take a tsp of raw organic honey and slightly warm it up. Apply it directly on to the affected area. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water.
- Take a tsp of milk in a small container and add a tsp of raw honey in it. Now carefully pour it over a clean cotton strip and microwave it for 15 seconds. Once it feels warm, apply it over the area where the whiteheads are concentrated. Press it and keep it there for 15 minutes. Gently pull it off to get rid of the whiteheads.
5. Tea Tree Oil Home Remedies for Whiteheads
Why to use tea tree oil on whiteheads
Tea tree oil has natural antibacterial and anti fungal properties and that’s why it is considered an effective answer on how to get rid of whiteheads. We know that tea tree oil works great as an anti acne remedy and for the same reason, it also works well to remove the whiteheads. Tea tree oil helps to kill the bacteria that cause the whiteheads to grow and thus disinfect the pores. This essential oil penetrates the blockage between our skin and the sebaceous glands and helps to get rid of whiteheads on nose.
How to remove the whiteheads with tea tree oil
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil onto a cotton ball and apply it directly over the whiteheads. Let it sit there and dry naturally. No need to wash it off.
- Another way on how to get rid of whiteheads is by mixing 4-6 drops of tea tree oil to your face wash each time you wash your face. This will help in unclogging your pores and removing the whiteheads.
- You can also use tea tree oil in a simple face pack to get rid of whiteheads. All you have to do is to mix 2-3 drops each of tea tree oil and jojoba oil and add some fresh tomato pulp to it. Apply it all over the face, specially to the area where you get maximum whiteheads. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with icy-cold water. This is one of the best remedies if you are wondering how to get rid of whiteheads.
6. Green tea Remedy for Whiteheads
Why to use green tea to get rid of whiteheads
We already know that green tea is a great natural beauty ingredient for our skin, and it also helps to deal with the ugly whiteheads on the face. Topical application of green tea helps to control the sebum production as well as to block the androgen receptors in the skin and minimize the damage. Androgen is basically male sex hormone and increased amount of androgen in female body due to menopause or hormone replacement therapies can cause whiteheads.
How to get rid of whiteheads using Green tea
- First, steep 1 tsp of green tea in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes. Then dip a cotton ball in the tea and simply wipe your face with it. No need to rinse it off.
- Brew some green tea. Now take a quarter of a cup of green tea and add juice of one lemon to it. Mix well and apply this solution onto the whiteheads affected area with the help of a cotton ball. Let it sit for 10-12 minutes. You can also use it as an overnight treatment. Use cold water to rinse off the face and pat dry.
- Regular consumption of green tea is also very useful in getting healthy and clear skin.
7. Treat Whiteheads using Egg Whites
Why to use egg whites to remove whiteheads
Egg whites are excellent for our skin. Egg whites helps our pores to tighten up and in this process it removes whiteheads. The proteins present in egg whites help to keep the skin clear off whiteheads. Another reason why egg white is considered as one of the best home remedies for whiteheads is that egg is rich in vitamin A and other nutrients that helps to get rid of the whiteheads by destroying the oil deposits and dead skin cells.
Check – 4 Best Homemade Egg Face Packs and Masks for Glowing Skin
How to get rid of whiteheads using egg whites
- Separate the egg white from the egg yolk and keep it in a separate bowl. Beat it until it becomes frothy. Add a tbsp honey and mix both the ingredients nicely. Apply this face mask evenly on the face and neck. Keep it on until you feel some tightening sensation on the skin. Rinse it off with tepid water. Do this twice a week initially and then once in every fortnight to maintain the health of the skin.
- You can also use only the egg white to remove the whiteheads from the face. Here is how to get rid of whiteheads using this tip – first separate the egg white from the yolk and keep the egg white in a bowl. Make sure you have a clean face. Gently apply the egg white as a thin layer evenly on the face with your finger or a brush. Then place a thin layer of tissue on the face and apply another layer of egg white. Let the mask dry completely. Then peel it off in the upward direction. Once done, wash the face with warm water.
- Mix some lemon juice with a tbsp of egg white and then apply it evenly over the places where you have whiteheads. Let it dry and then gently peel it off. Regular application of this remedy will help to remove whiteheads from the face.
8. Home Remedies for Whiteheads with Cinnamon
Why to use cinnamon to remove whiteheads
Cinnamon has a natural ability to improve the quality of our skin. When used in a homemade scrub, it helps to get rid of whiteheads. Cinnamon has the natural ability to promote collagen production which leads to skin regeneration. Cinnamon is also anti microbial for which it can fight the bacteria that causes whiteheads.
How to get rid of whiteheads using cinnamon
- First, take a tsp of cinnamon powder and mix it with some water. Then, add some uncooked oatmeal and mix all the ingredients together. Evenly spread it all over the face and scrub gently. Leave it on for another 10-15 minutes and then rinse off.
- Make a paste by mixing together a tsp each of honey and aloe vera gel and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Apply it on the face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse it off.
9. Use Lemon Juice for Whitehead Treatment
Why to use lemon juice to get rid of whiteheads
Lemon juice is a well known remedy for many of our skin concerns. Therefore no wonders that it is also one of the most effective home remedies for whiteheads. The citric acid present in lemon juice acts as a natural astringent which dilates the pores and dry out the excess oil which finally helps to remove whiteheads from the roots.
How to use lemon juice to remove whiteheads
- Here is how you can use lemon juice for whiteheads. Cut a lemon in to half and extract the juice. Dilute the juice with some water and with a cotton ball dab some of the juice on to the whiteheads. Let it dry naturally. Do this once regularly. Don’t forget to dilute the lemon juice because applying lemon juice directly can cause skin irritation.
- Another way to use lemon juice for whiteheads is by mixing lemon juice with honey and then apply this mixture on to the whiteheads. Let it dry naturally and wash off.
10. Gram Flour Pack for Whiteheads
Why to use gram flour to remove whiteheads
Next on our list of how to get rid of whiteheads using home remedies is besan or gram flour. It is one those natural ingredients which has been used for ages in India as a beauty and skin care product. Besan is considered as one of the best natural remedies for whiteheads due to its deep cleansing and exfoliating properties. When applied on skin, it helps to remove dead skin cells and dirt and also cleans the blocked pores. Furthermore, gram flour is also effective in absorbing excess oil and sebum. All these properties of besan has made it a time tested answer of how to remove whiteheads at home.
How to use gram flour for whiteheads
- In a bowl, take 2 tbsp gram flour and mix it with enough yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply this mixture all over the face and let it dry naturally. Splash some water on the face and then gently scrub it off. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times per week for best result. Mix some gram flour with rose water and add 2 pinches of turmeric powder. Apply this face pack evenly on the face and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing off. This homemade facal ubtan will help to remove the whiteheads and keep the skin clean and clear.
- Take two tbsp of gram flour, one tbsp of milk and two tbsp of rose water. Mix it well to make a paste. Apply onto the face and let it dry naturally. Gently scrub it off by massaging the face with wet fingertips.
11. Cure Whiteheads using Tomato Juice
Why to use tomato juice to get rid of whiteheads
We are going to conclude this list of how to get rid of whiteheads with tomato juice. Tomato juice has antiseptic, astringent and antioxidant properties which makes it one of the best ingredients to keep the skin clean and blemish free. When applied on the skin, tomato juice unblocks the clogged pores and removes whiteheads. Furthermore, tomato juice has lycopene which is acidic in nature. This lycopene makes it difficult for the bacteria to survive inside the pores and thus, clears off the whiteheads completely.
How to get rid of whiteheads using Tomato juice
Take one small, ripe tomato and peel it. With the help of a blender, mash the tomato and collect the tomato pulp. Apply tomato pulp all over the face and let it dry naturally. Wash off with luke warm water. This is one of the most effective and easiest home remedies for whiteheads, but it is not recommended for those with sensitive skin.
You can also add some honey and milk to the tomato pulp to brighten the complexion and make the skin healthy and beautiful inside out.
Simple Skin Care Tips to prevent Whiteheads
We have discussed some of the best how to get rid of whiteheads home remedies. But as they always say ‘Prevention is better than cure’, so lets check out some very simple tips to prevent whiteheads.
- Keep your skin clean and clear by washing it twice a day with a mild facial cleanser.
- Never, ever forget to exfoliate the skin at least once a week to remove whiteheads, blackheads and keep the pores clean.
- Apply moisturizer always, even if its summer. Choose a moisturizer according to your skin type.
- Use a good quality clay mask once in a week. Clay will absorb excess oil and also help to avoid whiteheads.
- If you want to use over the counter anti acne products, make sure your product contain any of these three – Benzoyl Peroxide, salicylic acid and also retinoids. They can decrease oil production in pores, and get rid of bacteria and dead skin cells that clog up the pores and cause whiteheads.
I hope you found this article on how to get rid of whiteheads using simple home remedies helpful. Do stay tuned for more such informative posts.