How to Get Rid of Acne Scars with Simple Home Remedies – ‘Wear your scars with pride’! For some people, scars signifies their tough character. But the same cannot be said about acne scars though! Here in this article, we will tell you how to get rid of acne scars with simple home remedies. We know that acne is no less than a nightmare for us, but sometimes acne scars bother us even more. In order to get a blemish free skin, many people tend to opt for strong chemical based solutions to get rid of the scars. While they sometimes offer great results, but not to forget, the chemicals also carry a long list of side effects with them. So, if you are looking for a safer but equally effective alternative, go for natural solutions!
Check – DIY Hair Mask to Get Shiny, Silky, Soft and Smooth Hair in 1 Day
Before we go on and find how to get rid of acne scars with simple home remedies, lets first understand what is an acne scar.
What is an acne scar
Acne scars occur at the end stage of acne or skin inflammation. When our skin pores get clogged with excess oil, dead skin cells and bacteria, it becomes swelled and breaks the follicle wall to come out as an acne or ‘breakout’. The infected acne then destroys the healthy skin tissue and leaves a mark there, known as acne scar. While mild acne scars heal on their own, but deep scars, specially when acne has been pricked, squeezed or scratched, might remain for the rest of the life.
Check – How to do Face Clean up at Home using Natural Ingredients
Natural ingredients that come with anti bacterial and/or anti inflammatory properties are your best bet to get rid of acne scars. These ingredients not only lighten the scars, but gradually help you to remove acne and you get healthy, glowing skin with less chances of breakouts.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars with Simple Home Remedies
So, lets find out how to get rid of acne scars with simple home remedies.
1. Epsom Salt Remedy
We are going to start our list of best natural remedies to get rid of acne scars with Epsom salt. Epsom salt is a great natural remedy that not only helps to fade away acne scars, but it actually works to control your breakouts. The main reason that Epsom salt is so much effective for acne prone skin is that it contains magnesium. Magnesium is one such mineral that is essential if you want acne free, healthy skin. It can deeply cleanse the epidermis and detoxifies the same. Magnesium has anti inflammatory properties that gradually reduces the size of the scars.
How to get rid of acne scars using Epsom salt
Take 2 tbsp of Epsom salt and add some water to make a thick paste. Apply this all over the face and neck and massage the skin gently for couple of minutes. Allow it to sit for 10-12 minutes and then, wash off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week for effective results.
2. Apply Onion Juice
We know how effective is onion juice for treating hair loss and boosting hair growth. But do you know, that onion juice can help you to get rid of acne scars? Well, it surely does. Onion juice is the source of several unique bio-flavonoids, such as quercitin, kaempferol and cepalin. All these together help to improve the scar appearance over time. Also onions are loaded with vitamins A, C, and E, all of which are powerful anti oxidants and they protect our skin from UV rays as well as free radicals induced damages.
Check – Top 17 Foods for Hair Growth that You Must Know
How to use onion juice to get rid of acne scars
- Take one red onion and cut it into small pieces. Put them in a blender and make onion pulp. Extract the juice from the pulp and use a cotton ball to apply the juice on the acne scars. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat daily. Though the process is a bit difficult, because of the strong, pungent smell of onion, but the result is worth the effort. So, do try this home remedy, specially if you have deep acne scars.
- Alternatively, you can mix together onion juice and garlic juice. Blend half of an onion and three garlic cloves in a blender. Strain the juice and apply it on the acne scars with the help of a cotton pad. Leave it on until it dries completely. Wash off with plain water. Repeat every night before going to bed.
- You can also combine one tbsp onion juice with two tbsp honey and use the mixture as a home remedy to get rid of acne scars. Simply apply the mixture directly on the spots and let it sit for 30 minutes before washing off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Here is another home remedy to get rid of acne scars using onion juice. In a bowl take two tbsp gram flour and add one tbsp each of onion juice as well as rose water. Mix together and apply this paste all over the face. Allow it to sit for 20-30 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Reapply thrice in a week.
3. Use Potato Juice to Remove Acne Scars
Potatoes are very effective in reducing pigmentation, age spots as well as acne scars. Potato juice contains high amount of Vitamin C in it which is well known for its ability to lighten marks and scars. Along with that, vitamin A, B, potassium, protein, iron, phosphorus, etc in potato boosts the overall health of our skin. Furthermore, the catecholase enzyme in potato plays a major role in skin lightening. The starch and sugar present in potato work together to exfoliate the skin and also remove the dead skin cells, which also speeds up the healing process of the acne scars.
Check – What 8 Things Could Happen If You Don’t Exfoliate Regularly
How to get rid of acne scars with potatoes
- Take a small potato. Peel off the skin and then cut it in to thick slices. Take one slice and pour a few drops of water on the surface. Rub it on the affected parts for around 10 minutes. Wash it off with luke warm water. Repeat couple of times everyday.
- Take the skin off one medium sized potato and cut it in half. Crush both the halves with the help of a grater and squeeze out the juice from crushed potatoes. Soak a cotton ball in potato juice and apply it directly on the acne scars. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Take one potato, peel off the skin and cut it in small cubes. Put the potato cubes in the blender and prepare a paste. Add half tbsp of yogurt to one tbsp potato paste. Mix together and then apply the mixture all over the face. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Take the skin off from one medium sized potato and cut it in half. Crush both the halves with the help of a grater and squeeze out the juice from crushed potatoes. Add a tsp of honey to the extracted potato juice and mix together. Apply it on the affected parts and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash it off and repeat every alternate day.
4. Orange Peel Powder Remedy
Orange peel has excellent cleansing properties for our skin. It is a rich source of vitamin C, even more than the fruit itself. Vitamin C is very effective in lightening scars and marks. Also vitamin A in orange peel improves blood flow to the skin surface and thus make skin look more even toned. Furthermore, vitamin E in orange peel protects our skin from UV damage and free radical activities. Orange peel has excellent cleansing properties that improves skin texture and clarity.
Check – 16 Best Benefits of Vitamin E for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use orange peel to remove acne scars
- Take one tbsp orange peel powder and add one tbsp each of walnut powder and sandalwood powder to that. Add few drops of lemon juice and some rose water. Mix together all the ingredients to make a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Gently massage the skin in circular motion while removing the paste. Wash off with plain water. Repeat at least twice in a week.
- Alternatively, add few drops of lemon juice to two tbsp of orange peel powder. Also add half tsp each of fullers earth and sandalwood powder and some rose water. Mix well to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture all over the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with normal water. Repeat 1-2 times in a week.
- Here is another simple orange peel remedy to get rid of acne scars. Combine together one tsp each of orange peel powder, yogurt and raw honey. Apply an even layer of this face pack all over the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat every alternate day.
5. Coconut Oil Treatment
Next on our list of best natural remedies to get rid of acne scars comes coconut oil. Coconut oil is very beneficial for our skin. It has anti oxidant properties that neutralizes the free radicals and protect our skin cells from oxidative stress. Also vitamin E as well as vitamin K present in coconut oil repair the skin damages by boosting the growth of healthy tissues. Moreover, the anti inflammatory and anti microbial properties of coconut oil prevent breakouts and thus help to avoid stubborn acne scars.
How to use coconut oil to treat acne scars
Take some coconut oil and warm it up for few seconds. Massage your face with the warm coconut oil for 10 minutes, giving special attention to the acne scars. Let it sit for some time and then rinse off with luke warm water. If possible leave it on overnight for faster results. Repeat daily.
6. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural astringent which helps in shrinking pores and thus, minimizes the appearance of scars. The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar exfoliates the skin, removes dead skin cells and helps to fade away the acne scars and pimple marks. Furthermore, the anti inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar aid in bringing down the redness of the scars and fading them gradually. Apple cider vinegar also contains beta carotene that can repair the damage done to the skin by free radicals.
How to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of acne scars
- Dilute some apple cider vinegar in equal amount of water and spray the mixture on the skin. You can apply this mixture on the face with a cotton pad as well, giving special attention to the acne scars. Allow it to sit on the face for couple of minutes and then wash the face with luke warm water. Re-apply twice in a day.
- Alternatively, add two tbsp honey to one apple cider vinegar and add a little bit of water to the mixture as well. With the help of a cotton pad, apply this mixture to the entire face or as a spot treatment on the acne scars. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat daily or every alternate day.
7. Treat Acne Scars with Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera comes with polysaccharides and gibberellins, which help in speeding up the healing process of acne scars. Also, the powerful anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera help in lightening the acne scars and also pimple marks. Moreover, aloe vera has the ability to boost up our cell turnover rate which further helps in the healing process of acne scars and other skin discolorations. There is a component present in aloe vera known as ‘anthraquinon’ which is also effective in reducing the appearances of pigmentation and spots.
How to get rid of acne scars using aloe vera gel
- Take out a fresh aloe leaf from the plant and cut it in half. Extract the gel from inside the leaf and apply it directly on the acne scars. Keep it on overnight and wash off with plain water the next morning. Repeat daily.
- Combine one tbsp sugar, two tbsp lemon juice as well as some aloe vera gel in a bowl. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and massage gently for 5-10 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day.
- Add one tsp milk and half tsp honey to one tsp aloe vera gel. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture directly on the acne scars. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
8. Apply Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has citric acid in it which has natural bleaching properties. It helps in lightening the acne scars over time. Also lemon juice comes with vitamin C in it, which boosts cell regeneration and thus helps to lighten the acne scars. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of vitamin C protect the skin from free radicals.
How to use lemon juice to get rid of acne scars
- Extract the juice from half of a lemon in a bowl and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply it directly onto the acne scars. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Alternatively, take fresh lemon juice and organic honey in 1:1 ratio and mix together. Add in few strands of saffron. Mix all this together and apply it directly onto the acne scars. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with plain water. Repeat once in every 2-3 days.
- In a bowl take one tbsp fresh yogurt and add juice of one lemon. Mix together and apply it all over the face. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat at least twice in a week.
9. Remove Acne Scars with Turmeric
Next comes turmeric on our list of best natural remedies to get rid of acne scars. Turmeric has amazing anti inflammatory properties, which boost up the healing process of acne scars and help in fading them naturally. Turmeric also contains an anti oxidant known as curcumin, which fights off the free radicals and protects our skin from damages done by them.
How to treat acne scars with turmeric
- Mix together one tsp lemon juice, two tbsp milk and half tsp turmeric powder. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face. Massage gently concentrating on the acne scars. Keep it on for another 15-20 minutes and then wash off. Repeat every alternate day.
- Mix together one tsp each of lemon juice and potato juice and a pinch of turmeric. Apply this paste on the acne scars and let it dry naturally. Wash it off with plain water and repeat twice in a day.
- Alternatively, add a generous pinch of turmeric powder to two tsp fresh cucumber juice. Mix together and make a paste. Apply the mixture on the acne scars and then gently massage for couple of minutes. Leave it on for about half an hour. Wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
10. Sandalwood Powder Remedy
Here we present you with another super effective natural remedy to get rid of acne scars. Sandalwood powder is known for its amazing healing properties. It is a wonderful cicatrisant which means, when used topically, it works fast to lighten acne scars as well as any kind of skin pigmentation, be it sun tan, dark spots as well as age spots. Also, the anti septic and anti inflammatory properties of sandalwood powder speeds up the healing process of the scars and repair the damages fast. Furthermore, sandalwood powder has natural anti aging properties that gradually fades away the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and lines.
How to use sandalwood powder to fade acne scars
- Take a couple of tbsp of sandalwood powder and add a tsp of glycerin to it. Also, add 1-2 tbsp of raw milk and mix all the ingredients together so that it forms a thick, smooth paste. Apply an even layer all over the face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Later on, wash it off with luke warm water. Repeat at least twice in a week for great results.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a natural remedy by mixing some tomato juice and red sandalwood powder. Also add some water so that it spreads easily on the face. Apply it on the affected parts and let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water and repeat 2-3 times in a day.
11. Avocado Face Mask to Lighten Scars
Avocados are really beneficial for us, be it our health or beauty. You can get rid of acne scars with the help of avocado face masks. Actually avocados can deeply cleanse our pores and thus, prevent the chances of acne breakouts. This way, it helps to get rid of acne scars. Also, it contains vitamin C, which we already know, is very effective in lightening scars and pigmentation.
Check – How to Do Hair Spa at Home
How to get rid of acne scars with avocado
- Take one ripe avocado, remove the stone and mash it to form a smooth paste. Add one tbsp of honey and also juice of half of a lemon. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture on the acne scars or all over the face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wash off the face with plain water.
- Mix half of a ripe avocado and half of a ripe tomato by putting them in a blender. Apply it on to the face and then let it dry out naturally. Wash off. Tomatoes also contain significant skin lightening properties, which, together with avocado, help to lighten acne scars effectively.
- Alternatively, you can simply apply the avocado itself to reap its benefits. Mash 1 ripe avocado and apply it all over the face. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes so that it can do its work. Repeat 2-3 times in a week for best results.
I hope you liked these 11 simple home remedies to get rid of acne scars naturally. Do share your feedback with us below in the comment box 🙂