6 Most Effective Home Remedies to Treat Baldness – Its nothing short of a nightmare to see chunks of hair falling out every time you comb or wash your hair. You cannot ignore that fear of baldness and that’s why, we have come up with this article on most effective home remedies to treat baldness. Baldness is mainly associated with ageing, but now a days it has become a common problem even in 30’s! Baldness can affect both male and female, however, if you are a woman, then its certainly going to hit you harder. For a woman, severe hair loss, thinning of hair and baldness can bring along lots of uncomfortable situation and emotional distress. One of the most popular ways to treat baldness is hair transplantation.
Check – 9 Most Effective Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
We are going to discuss about the best available home remedies to treat baldness, but before that, let us find out what are the main causes of severe hair loss that might lead to baldness.
What causes Baldness
The primary reason for baldness is definitely ageing. But apart from that, there are several other causes for baldness. Some of them are listed below –
Heredity : This is a major factor behind hair loss and baldness even at a young age. Someone with a family history of hair loss and baldness automatically makes them more prone to losing hair.
Check – How to Gain Weight
Protein Deficiency : Our diet plays a massive role in our beauty. The condition of our skin and hair depends more on what we are feeding our body, than what we are applying on the skin and hair. Lack of protein in our daily diet often leads to hair loss and bald patches on the scalp. People often cut down on meat and other protein sources when they try to lose weight. But this leads to protein deficiency in the body and in response, our body tries to save protein and our hair health gets affected (hair is made of keratin, which is a type of protein as well).
Pregnancy : Many women have to deal with hair loss post pregnancy. For some, it becomes severe and leads to baldness. The medical term for this kind of hair loss is Telogen Effluvium. Deficiency of estrogen hormone level in the body after pregnancy actually is responsible for this condition. However, it is a temporary condition most women recover from the situation within next few months.
Check – Surprising Benefits of Potatoes for Skin, Hair and Health
Stress : Stress, be it physical or emotional, can lead to serious hair fall problem, which can result in bald patches. Stress can cause disruption in hormonal level in our body, which shows off on our skin and hair.
Lack of Iron : Just like protein deficiency, iron deficiency is also responsible for hair loss and baldness. Iron is a very important mineral for our hair, hence, make sure your diet doesn’t lack iron.
Other causes : Other causes of baldness include autoimmune disorder, chemotherapy, injury or burn, scalp infection, certain medications etc.
Different Types of Baldness
Male Pattern Baldness – Seen among men, specially those with a family history of hair loss. It starts with a receding hairline at a young age.
Female Pattern Baldness – It is also a hereditary condition and can be seen in women. However, normally it doesn’t cause complete baldness.
Alopecia areata – The main symptom of this kind of baldness starts with constant hair fall, which gradually increases and cause bald patches on the scalp.
Scarring Alopecia – When the bald spot on the scalp is caused by injury, burns or chemotherapy.
Toxic Alopecia – This is a temporary condition caused by severe illness or certain medications.
Most Effective Home Remedies to Treat Baldness
Now, that we have discussed baldness and its causes in brief, lets find out the treatments. Below we have listed the most effective home remedies to treat baldness, check them out quickly.
1. Treat Baldness with Aloe Vera
We are starting our list of best Home Remedies to Treat Baldness with aloe vera. Aloe vera is a great natural treatment for hair loss and hair growth. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals, which makes it capable to fight hair issues and restore hair health. Aloe vera comes with vitamin B12 and folic acid, both of which help to prevent hair fall. Also it can maintain the pH balance of the scalp, which is vital for better hair health. When pH balance gets disrupted it can cause serious hair problems, including hair loss.
Check – How to Do Hair Spa at Home
The anti bacterial and anti fungal benefits of aloe vera help to eliminate the bacteria or fungus present on the scalp, which might cause hair fall and lead to baldness. It contains enzymes that can boost hair growth. Proteolytic enzymes present in aloe vera remove dead skin cells from the scalp that can clog the hair follicles and stop hair growth.
How to use aloe vera in home remedies to treat baldness
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly on the scalp. Massage and spread it all over the scalp. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Take a cup of aloe vera gel and add two tbsp hibiscus flower paste to that. Mix well. Apply that on the scalp and massage gently for even distribution. Wear a shower cap to avoid dripping and wait for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and apply a conditioner. Repeat at least once a week.
- Combine together a cup of fresh aloe vera gel and two tbsp each of castor oil and methi powder to form a smooth paste. Apply all over the scalp and hair. Let it sit on the scalp for couple of hours. Use a mild shampoo to rinse it off. Follow up with a conditioner and repeat twice a week to combat hair loss and baldness.
- Mix together 4 tbsp each of aloe vera gel and coconut milk. Add a tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil to that. Finally mix all the ingredients and apply the mixture on the scalp and hair. Massage for few minutes and allow it to sit for at least an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. Reapply this home remedies to treat baldness at least once in a week.
2. Use Coconut Oil to Cure Baldness
Coconut oil contains natural anti oxidant properties, along with vitamin E, vitamin K and iron. All these nutrients help to nourish the hair roots and make them stronger. Coconut oil comes with lauric acid which is very beneficial for hair. It prevents protein loss and protect our hair from serious damages including hair loss. Massaging coconut oil on the scalp boosts blood circulation, which in turn, strengthens the hair roots and promotes healthy hair growth. Furthermore, the anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of coconut oil help in keeping the scalp healthy and free from bacterial and fungal infections, which can otherwise cause severe hair loss and lead to baldness. Due to the better penetration ability of coconut oil, it penetrates deeply in the scalp and nourishes the hair follicles, strengthens them and boosts hair regrowth.
How to use coconut oil in Home remedies to treat baldness
- Heat up 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil slightly. Apply the warm coconut oil all over the scalp and massage gently for 10 minutes. Cover your head with a towel and wait for an hour before removing it with a mild shampoo. Repeat at least thrice in a week.
- Take half a cup of coconut oil in a container and heat it up. Crush 2-3 camphor blocks and add the powdered camphor to the coconut oil. Stir so that the camphor powder gets dissolved fully. Once done, remove the oil from the heat and let it reach room temperature. Apply the camphor infused coconut oil on the scalp and hair. Massage well and leave it on for another 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and reapply twice in a week.
- Peel a ripe avocado and remove the seed. With the help of a knife, take out the flesh and mash it. Add this to some coconut oil and mix both of them together. Apply the resultant mixture on the hair and scalp. Massage gently for few minutes to spread it evenly all over the scalp. Let it stay for an hour. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and apply conditioner. Repeat this home remedies to treat baldness once or twice in a week.
- Take some coconut oil (according to your hair length) and add 5-6 drops of rosemary essential oil to that. Mix together and massage the oil blend all over the scalp and hair. Let it stay for an hour and remove it with a mild shampoo. The anti oxidant benefits of rosemary essential oil prevent hair loss. Moreover, it comes with silica and sulfur, both of which are essential to treat hair fall and baldness. Rosemary essential oil is also very beneficial to boost hair growth.
3. Treat Baldness with Onion Juice
Next on our list of best home remedies to treat baldness comes onion juice. Onion juice is popular to fight off hair loss and baldness since ages. It also is very beneficial to boost new hair growth to the bald patches on the scalp. It is high in sulfur and other nutrients, such as vitamins B1, B6, C, copper, dietary fiber, biotin, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and folate. All these nutrients restore hair health and stop hair loss. Furthermore, onion juice can promote blood circulation to the scalp, boosts collagen production and prevents hair loss.
Check – What Does the Color of Period Blood Mean?
Onion juice comes with anti bacterial benefits which can kill the germs that might cause hair loss and lead to baldness. Often, dandruff plays a major role behind severe hair loss and also thinning of hair. Onion juice is very effective in dandruff treatment as well. And not only arresting hair loss, onion juice works wonderfully to induce new hair growth. A study published in the Journal of Dermatology in 2002 reported that people suffering from Alopecia experienced significant hair re-growth after applying onion juice on the scalp.
How to use onion juice in home remedies to treat baldness
- Grate one medium sized onion and squeeze out the juice. Apply the juice on the scalp with the help of a cotton ball. Massage the scalp gently for few minutes. Let it sit on the scalp for another 30-40 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Reapply twice in a week.
- Mix together onion juice, lemon juice and carrot juice in 1:1:1 ratio. To the juice mix, add one tbsp yeast and two tbsp hot powder. Combine everything nicely and then apply the hair mask all over the scalp. Massage in circular motions and let it stay for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to remove it. Repeat this home remedies to treat baldness twice in a week.
- Combine together 3 tbsp onion juice, 2 tbsp aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp olive oil. Apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp and then leave it on for 30-40 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Separate one egg yolk and add two tbsp honey to that. Also add 3 tbsp lemon juice. Mix together and then add juice of one onion to this. Give it a final mix and apply the mixture on the scalp, specially on the bald patches. Wrap your hair in a warm towel and wait for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to remove it and repeat once in a week. This is one of the best home remedies to treat baldness.
4. Castor Oil Home Remedies to Treat Baldness
Castor oil is known as one of the most effective home remedies to treat baldness. It comes with high amount of ricinoleic acid, which is highly beneficial for maintaining scalp health. It can balance the normal pH level of the scalp, which prevents hair loss and baldness. Castor oil also contains anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties, which eliminate any fungus or bacteria living on the scalp and causing severe hair loss. Regular application of castor oil helps to keep the scalp healthy and free of infection. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of castor oil also helps to stop hair fall and then prevent baldness. Castor oil can boost blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn nourishes the hair follicles and also results in better hair growth.
How to use castor oil in home remedies to treat baldness
- Apply some castor oil on the scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips and then spread the oil all over the scalp. Also apply some oil on to the length of the hair. Let it sit for at least 2-3 hours. Wash off with a mild shampoo and then repeat twice in a week.
- Take one tbsp each of castor oil, vitamin E oil and olive oil. Mix all the oils and then apply this oil mixture on the scalp. Massage gently for 10-15 minutes while giving special attention to the bald patches. Allow it to sit on the scalp for another couple of hours. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and then reapply twice in a week.
- Crush two fresh garlic cloves and add them to 2-3 tbsp of castor oil. Keep it aside for 3-4 days. Once the time period gets over, strain the oil and then apply it on the scalp and hair. Massage gently with your fingertips for 10 minutes and then let it sit for another 2-3 hours. Rinse off with a mild shampoo and apply a conditioner. Do this twice in a week to fight off baldness.
5. Use Olive Oil to Cure Baldness
Olive oil is rich in mono unsaturated fatty acids. Together with the essential nutrients, these fatty acids strengthen the hair strands from roots to the tips and prevent hair fall. Also, olive oil has anti microbial properties which help to fight off scalp infections caused by fungus or bacteria. Often these types of fungal infections lead to severe hair loss and baldness. Massaging the scalp with olive oil boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn nourishes the hair follicles and also encourages new hair growth. The anti oxidant properties of olive oil help fighting off the free radicals that often trigger serious hair fall problem.
One of the main factors that lead to hair loss is the raised level of DHT hormone. Furthermore, olive oil is very effective in treating this condition. DHT or dihydrotestosterone hormone can attack the hair follicles and then weaken them, which can lead to hair fall and cause baldness.
Check – 3 Best and Easy Home Remedies for Hair fall
How to use olive oil in home remedies to treat baldness
- Heat up some olive oil in a bowl. Massage it on the scalp for 8-10 minutes. Also apply some oil onto the length of the hair. Leave it on overnight. Wash it off with a mild shampoo the next morning. Repeat couple of times in a week.
- Wash 3-4 fresh hibiscus flowers and separate the petals. Make a paste out of the petals and add the paste to some olive oil. Mix together and then apply the resultant mixture on the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 40-45 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Take half a cup of olive oil and heat it up slightly. Add a tsp of cayenne pepper to it and then stir well. Let the mixture reach room temperature and apply that on your scalp and hair. Massage thoroughly. Allow it to sit for at least couple of hours and then remove it all with a mild shampoo and water. Repeat this home remedies to treat baldness at least once in a week.
- Make a paste by mixing together 3-4 tbsp olive oil, one tsp apple cider vinegar and then some amla powder. Apply the paste all over the scalp covering the hair roots well. Keep it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
6. Treat Baldness with Avocado
Next comes avocado on our list of best home remedies to treat baldness. Avocado is a great natural ingredient for treating hair loss, due to its high amount of Vitamin B and Vitamin E. These vitamins play a major role to strengthen the hair roots and prevent hair loss. Furthermore, avocado is rich in mono unsaturated fatty acids, which help in adding nourishment to the hair follicles, stop hair loss and boost hair growth. Check out below to find out how you can use avocado to cure baldness.
Check – 16 Best Anti Dandruff Shampoo Available in India
How to use avocado in home remedies to treat baldness
- Take one ripe avocado and cut it in half. Remove the seed and take out the flesh. Mash it well with a fork. Add two tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a tbsp honey to the mashed avocado and mix all the three ingredients to prepare a smooth paste. Apply the resultant paste all over the scalp and hair. Massage gently for even distribution and let it sit on the scalp for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and reapply once in a week.
- Alternatively, mix one mashed avocado with a cup of milk. Add one tbsp each of olive oil and almond oil. Combine all the ingredients and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Let it stay on the hair for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Here comes another simple yet very effective home remedies to treat baldness. Mix together one smashed avocado and a tbsp of mayonnaise. Once the hair pack is ready, apply it all over the scalp, while giving special attention to the bald areas of the scalp. Let it sit for an hour and wash off with a shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
These were our most effective home remedies to treat baldness. Hope you enjoyed reading this article, stay tuned for more.