12 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin – Do you have oily skin? If the answer is “yes”, then chances are high that you don’t want winter to go already. Summer and oily skin don’t go together, and that’s why we have put together the best home remedies to get rid of oily skin. Now, we cannot change the texture of our skin dramatically, but we can of course control the oiliness of the skin with the help of different natural remedies. Oily skin requires special care, because this type of skin is more vulnerable to different skin woes, like acne, whiteheads, black heads, large pores and all. But you don’t have to live with unnecessary glossy face anymore, check out best home remedies to get rid of oily skin below.
Check – 11 Best BB Cream for Oily and Dry Skin
Before we start with our list of home remedies to get rid of oily skin, lets first find out what causes oily skin.
What causes Oily Skin
Oily skin is a common problem for many of us. Summer makes the condition even worse and makeup meltdown becomes a daily affair.
Oily skin, medically known as seborrhea, is caused by excess oil produced within the skin pores. During puberty and other events like pregnancy or menopause, fluctuating hormones can result in increased androgen levels which leads to excess oiliness of the skin. Androgens are male hormones present in both males and females. The higher amount of androgens present in an individual, the more sebum is produced which then comes out of the pores and sits on the surface of the skin. As a result, our skin looks glossy, shiny and of course feels oily to touch. Below we have listed down the most common causes of oily skin.
Check – 7 Steps To Flawless Makeup for Oily Skin
Genetics – This is one of the main causes of oily skin. If your mother or father have oily skin, then chances are high that you will also inherit that trait. Oily skin is a matter of genes because having larger sebaceous glands that produce excess oil is actually hereditary.
Over Washing – Over washing can also lead to oily skin. When our skin looks oily and shiny, many of us tend to wash it off with a facial cleanser. Frequent use of facial cleansers actually strip our skin off its natural oil, which triggers excess oil production by the sebaceous glands.
Environment – When you are exposed to hot and humid weather condition for a long period of time, your skin gets oily. Hot, humid weather stimulate the secretion of oil or sebum. However, cold climates can also make our skin oily. When our skin is exposed to cold weather condition, the skin surface tends to dry out, which causes the oil glands to produce more oil in order to compensate.
Hormonal Changes – This is one of the major causes of oily skin. Androgens are the hormones which regulate the oil production process. Some times the levels of androgens fluctuate, which stimulates the oil production and our sebaceous glands start to produce more oil. This type of situation happens during puberty, pregnancy as well as menopause. However, prolonged period of stress and illness can also result in increased amount of androgens.
Wrong Skin Care Product – Using wrong skin care product can also lead to excess oil production on the face. Using a product which is meant for dry or combination skin, when you have oily skin type, can actually end up making your skin more oily.
Diet – Our diet also has a direct impact on our skin type. Processed foods and foods which contain sugar, refined carbohydrates, when consumed frequently can lead to increased oil production by the sebaceous glands.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin
There are several ways through which we can control the excess oil on our face. So lets now check out the best home remedies to get rid of oily skin.
1. Treat Oily Skin with Fuller’s Earth Face Pack
How to prepare fuller’s earth face pack to get rid of oily skin
We are going to start this list of best home remedies to get rid of oily skin with this easy one. All you need to do is mix 3 tbsp fuller’s earth with rose water to make a simple face pack. Apply it all over the face and wait for 20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water and repeat this process 1-2 times in a week to get rid of oily skin.
This is one of the most effective face packs to get rid of oily skin. Multani mitti has amazing cleansing properties which helps to get rid of the dirt, oil and impurities from the pores and the skin surface. The magnesium chloride present in multani mitti helps to detoxify the skin and also further prevent acne, blackheads and whiteheads.
2. Gram Flour Face Pack for Oily Skin
How to make gram flour face pack to treat oily skin
This is another amazing natural treatment to get rid of oily skin. In a bowl, take a tbsp gram flour and make a paste by mixing it with enough amount of rose water. Spread it all over the face and wait till it gets completely dry. Rinse off with plain water and then follow this treatment regularly to get rid of oily skin.
Check – 18 Best Homemade Besan Face Pack for All Skin Types
It’s a very simple yet very powerful home remedy to fix oily skin. Gram flour has natural alkalizing properties, which is extremely effective in getting rid of the excess oil from the surface of the skin. It also helps to remove impurities and dead skin cells from the pores, thanks to its exfoliating properties. Regular use of this face pack makes the skin firm and soft.
3. Apply Lemon Juice to Fix Oily Skin
How to use lemon juice to get rid of oily skin
- Lemon juice is a great natural remedy for oily skin. You can mix a tsp fresh lemon juice with 1 and half tsp of distilled water and with the help of a cotton ball, apply it all over the face. Let it sit there for 10 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water. Pat dry and follow up with an oil free moisturizer. Repeat this once daily to get rid of oily skin.
- Alternatively, you can make a simple face mask by mixing together 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp milk and 1 and half tbsp of honey. Spread a layer over the face and wait for 10-15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do once daily to control the oiliness of the face.
The citric acid content of lemon juice makes it a great natural astringent. When applied topically, it absorbs the excess oil and tighten the pores which leads to less amount of oil coming on to the surface of the skin. Lemon juice also can maintain the pH balance of the facial skin which again helps in less oil production.
4. Treat Oily Skin with Tomato Face Packs
Steps to prepare tomato face pack to get rid of oily skin
- Mix together pulp of 1 tomato and 1 tsp sugar. Apply it all over the skin and rub in gentle circular motions. Let it sit for another 5 minutes. Rinse off with fresh clean water and pat dry. Do this regularly to control the oiliness of the skin.
- Alternatively, you can blend a tomato and extract the juice out of it. Add some honey to this and mix together. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it on the skin and then massage for few minutes. Let it dry completely and then wash off with plain water.
- You can also cut a tomato in half and rub 1 half of the tomato directly on the skin. Let it sit for 15 minutes so that the skin can absorb the tomato juice. Rinse off with cold water.
Tomato is a great remedy to get rid of oily skin. It has powerful astringent and clarifying properties. The acidic properties of tomato help in absorbing the excess oil present on the skin surface and also unclog pores. Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, which is a great ingredient for acne prone skin. Plus the high amount of vitamin C present in tomatoes helps in skin brightening and lightening.
5. Use Apples to Fix Oily Skin
How to use apples to get rid of oily skin
- Apples are not only beneficial for our health but they are also amazing for our skin. Grate half of an apple and spread the grated apples on the face. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with plain water.
- Alternatively, mix a tsp each of grated apple, lemon juice and yogurt to make a simple face pack to get rid of oily skin. Apply the face pack all over the face and wash off with plain water after 15 minutes.
Apples are great exfoliating agent for our skin. They have astringent and soothing properties which is why apples are considered as one of the best remedy to get rid of oily skin. Apples contain malic acid, which helps in exfoliating dead skin cells as well as removing excess oil from the skin.
6. Aloe Vera Treatment for Oily Skin
How to make aloe vera face pack to get rid of oily skin
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and take out the gel from inside. Apply this aloe vera gel all over the face and massage for a minute or two. Let it dry completely and then wash it off with plain water. Do this regularly to get rid of oily skin.
- Put one aloe vera leaf in some water and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for few minutes and then remove from the heat. Let it reach room temperature and then put it in a blender. Add some honey and blend to get a smooth paste. Apply this all over the skin and then wait for 20 minutes. After that rinse off with cold water. Follow this process once in a week to fix oily skin.
Aloe vera is considered as a great remedy for oily skin because of its ability to soak up excess oil present on the skin surface. It also has anti microbial properties which helps in getting rid of acne.
7. Treat Oily Skin with Honey Face Packs
Steps to prepare honey face packs to fix oily skin
- In a bowl, take 2 tbsp besan and add some water to it to make a paste. Now add a tbsp honey and mix again. Apply a thick layer of this mask all over the face and let it dry. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat the entire process at least 3 times in a week.
- Alternatively, you can make a face mask by mixing 1 tbsp honey with equal amount of cinnamon powder. Apply an even layer of this face mask all over the face and neck. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with water. Follow this remedy 2-3 times in a week to fix oily skin.
Honey is a natural absorbent which means it sucks away excess oil and other impurities from the pores of our skin. Honey is also a natural humectant, which helps in keeping the skin nicely moisturized and thus prevent the sebaceous glands from being over active. The natural anti bacterial and anti septic properties of honey makes it a great solution to avoid acne breakouts which is one of the major problems of oily skin.
8. Use Cucumber to Fix Oily Skin
How to use cucumber to treat oily skin
- Next on our list of best home remedies for oily skin comes cucumber. Take a medium sized cucumber and cut it in half. Take one half of the cucumber and peel and grate it. Add the grated cucumber to 2 tbsp yogurt. Mix well and spread a layer of this face pack all over the clean face and neck. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and then use luke warm water to wash it off.
- Alternatively you can make a homemade scrub by mixing grated cucumber and sugar. Following the above mentioned process grate the cucumber and mix it with a tbsp sugar. Apply this mixture on the face and gently massage with your finger tips. Massage for 5-8 minutes and then leave it on for another 10 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water.
Cucumber is almost 90% of water. It helps in moisturizing the skin without making it oily. This in turn, regulates the activity of sebaceous glands and also prevents excessive oil production. It also has astringent properties which tighten the pores and eliminates oil, dirt and other impurities. Cucumbers contain vitamin C which helps to maintain the perfect oil balance of our skin.
9. Yogurt Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin
How to use yogurt to treat oily skin
- Take 2 tbsp plain yogurt in a bowl and add a pinch of organic turmeric powder to it. Mix well and make a paste. You can even mix a tbsp of freshly crushed turmeric root for better results. Once your yogurt and turmeric face pack is ready, spread an even layer of the same on clean face and neck. Allow it to stay there for 30 minutes. Then, rinse off with luke warm water and follow it up with a mild face cleanser.
- Alternatively, you can also use a mixture of yogurt and tea tree oil to fix the oiliness of the skin. Take 2 tbsp yogurt in a bowl and whisk it and then add 5-8 drops of tea tree oil to it. Add some water and mix all the ingredients to make your face mask. Apply it all over the face. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water. Follow this procedure 3-4 times in a week for effective result.
Plain yogurt is a great remedy to get rid of oily skin. Yogurt contains zinc in it which has astringent properties. That’s why, it helps in pore tightening and removing excess oil from the face. Yogurt is also a great natural moisturizer which keeps the skin moisturized and prevents the sebaceous glands from being overactive and produce more oil. Also, yogurt has lactic acid in it, which is an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates the skin and eliminates the dirt and impurities that clog the pores and invite acne breakouts.
10. Use Oatmeal to Fix Oily Skin
How to use oatmeal to get rid of oily skin
- Grind 2-3 tbsp of dried oatmeal to make a fine powder. Add some water to it and make a paste. Now go ahead and add a tbsp honey and mix the ingredients nicely. Apply an even layer of this all over the face and neck and let it stay there for 30 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat few times in a week to fix oily skin.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of dried oatmeal in a bowl and add 2 tbsp plain yogurt to it. Mix thoroughly and keep it aside for 5 minutes. Next, apply all over the face and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Regular application should be beneficial to control excess oiliness of the face.
Oatmeal works as a powerful absorbent and soaks up the excess oil and impurities from the pores, which leads to less oily skin. It also contains saponins which is a great cleansing agent and it also removes the oil accumulated on the skin surface. Plus the exfoliating properties of oatmeal help in eliminating dirt, dead skin cells and oil from the pores and keep the skin clean and clear.
11. Treat Oily Skin with Sugar
How to use sugar to get rid of oily skin
- Take a ripe banana and mash it with the back of a fork. Add couple of tbsp sugar to it and mix both the ingredients nicely. Make sure its a lump free mixture. Now apply all over the face and massage for few minutes. Then, let it stay on the face for another 5 minutes. Now wash it off and repeat the entire process in every 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can make a homemade scrub by mixing sugar and aloe vera gel. You need to mix together 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp of sugar. Whisk the mixture and then apply it all over the face. Massage gently for 5 minutes and then, allow it to stay on the face for another 15 minutes. Rinse off and repeat this remedy at least 3 times in a week to get rid of oily skin.
Sugar scrub is a wonderful remedy for oily skin. It is a natural humectant, which in turn, allows the skin to stay properly moisturized and thus, prevents the oil glands/sebaceous glands from being overactive and produce more oil. Also, sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid, which belongs to the AHA family and easily penetrates into the skin layers. It stimulates cell regeneration as well as maintains the perfect oil balance in the skin. Sugar itself is a great exfoliator which helps to get rid of excess oil, dirt and impurities that sit on the skin surface.
12. Get Rid of Oily Skin with Egg White
How to use egg white to fix oily skin
Break open an egg and separate the yolk from the white. Put one tbsp fresh lemon juice to the egg white and whisk until the mixture turns frothy. Wash your face with warm water and then apply an even layer of this face mask on the face. Let it dry naturally and wash off with luke warm water. Pat dry and repeat this treatment regularly to get rid of oily skin.
Egg white has natural astringent properties, which helps in controlling excess sebum and tightening of pores. It has drying properties which helps in soaking up excess oil from skin surface.
So, here we have sorted you oily skin beauties with our 12 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin. I hope you found this article helpful and do keep this handy for the upcoming summer season.