Five Wonderful Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin – Dull skin is a common problem that we face today. Day by day, we notice our skin getting drier, losing its glow. So what do you do then? Most of us start to put layers of makeup to cover the dullness of the skin. Stop! You are damaging your skin even more! Why spend money on expensive foundations, BB or CC creams, when there are some amazing Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin effectively! You cannot wear makeup all the time, hence covering your dull skin under layers of makeup is never a solution. A dull skin comes to life, only when we provide nourishment to the skin. And, also back it up with some basic lifestyle changes. Check out the best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin below and get the skin you want.
Before we start with our home remedies, let us find out the factors that causes dull skin. It becomes easy to find out the solution if we have a better idea about the cause of the problem.
Causes of Dull Skin –
Dead skin Build Up – Our skin sheds millions of cells every day. The dead skin cells create a layer on the top surface of our skin and results in a grayish look on the skin. Skin starts to look dull and patchy. Regular exfoliation is required to remove this dead skin cells and reveal healthy, glowing skin underneath.
Lack of Moisturization – No matter what season it is, our skin need moisturization through out the year. Using facial cleansers, makeup, etc. on regular basis puts pressure on our skin. As a result, our skin develops fine cracks in its surface, that you can not see with naked eye. These cracks make our skin look dull. When we put moisturizer, it fills up the cracks by adding lipids and seal the gaps to give us a smooth glowing skin.
Dehydrated Skin – Lack of hydration is another reason that can cause dull skin. Dehydration actually reduces the amount of blood flow to the skin, which is why our skin looks pale and dull. Our skin cells are mostly composed of water and they remains healthy in a hydrated environment. When our skin suffers from water deficiency, it can cause fine lines on the top layer of the skin. In severe cases, skin becomes scaly. Dehydration also damages the dermal layer of the skin and leads to deep wrinkles, which are visible on the epidermal or top layer of the skin.
Stress – A good night’s sleep is important if you want your skin to look fresh and glowing. Anything that keeps you up at night, like stress, is super damaging for our skin. According to experts, during sleep our skin cells repair and regenerate themselves. Anything that disturbs the sleep can cause circulatory changes on our skin that shows up in the form of dark circles, less hydrated skin, flaky skin as well as changes in natural oil production.
Environmental Factors – Air pollution and sun exposure both can contribute to dullness of the skin. Dust can clog the pores and lead to acne, where as, chemical pollution can affect our skin’s natural protection and repair system, which can lead to premature aging. Over exposure to sun can cause hyper pigmentation and uneven skin tone as well as untimely wrinkles. Sun exposure also changes the texture of our skin and make skin dry and thick. Also cold and windy conditions can affect our skin badly and results in dry, flaky and dull skin.
These were some of the common factors that can make our skin look dull. Several other factors can make the situation worse. They are –
- Unhealthy diet
- Lack of vitamins and minerals
- Hereditary factors
After a brief discussion about the causes of dull skin, lets talk about how to solve the situation. Below we have listed some of the best home remedies to get rid of dull skin.
Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin
1. Use Lemon to Treat Dull Skin
Why it works?
We are starting our list of best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin with lemon. Lemon is a very powerful ingredient to get rid of dull skin. Lemon juice is a source of citric acid, which helps to exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells and help to achieve glowing complexion. It also unclogs pores and prevents breakouts. The high amount of vitamin C in lemon juice can lighten and brighten the complexion effectively.
The anti oxidant properties of vitamin C protects our skin from damages caused by free radicals. Vitamin C helps in removing the impurities from the skin and boosting new cell growth, which make the skin healthy. Lemon juice comes with astringent properties, which help the skin to get rid of the excess oil, keeps the skin smooth and shiny as well as dry out acne and pimples. Furthermore, vitamin C boosts collagen production, which results in firm and smooth skin.
How to use lemon in home remedies to get rid of dull skin?
Internal Consumption – Add some lemon juice to a glass of warm water and drink it every morning in empty stomach. This helps to flush out the toxins from our body, which leads to beautiful skin.
Face Cleanser – Mix lemon juice and honey in 1:2 ratio. Apply the mixture on the face and massage in circular motions. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes on the skin and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat this home remedies to get rid of dull skin everyday. This is a great face wash to remove impurities and dullness from the skin.
Face Scrub –
- Take a tbsp of powdered sugar and add few drops of lemon juice to it. Mix together and massage the mixture on your face for few minutes. Wash it off with luke warm water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Alternatively, take one tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice. Add a little water and mix everything to prepare a paste. Apply this on the face and massage gently for couple of minutes. Let it stay for another 5 minutes and wash off with cool water. Repeat this home remedies to get rid of dull skin twice in a week.
Face Pack – Make a face pack by mixing together one tbsp lemon juice and one tsp each of sandalwood powder and turmeric powder. Apply the pack on the face and wait for 20-30 minutes before rinsing off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
2. Aloe Vera Remedies to Treat Dull Skin
Why it works?
Aloe vera can rejuvenate the skin as well as also hydrate it without any oiliness. It comes with cooling, soothing, anti microbial and anti inflammatory properties which work together to make the skin healthy and glowing. Aloe vera works as a gentle yet powerful cleanser for our skin. Also, aloe vera has mild bleaching properties, thanks to the presence of ‘anthraquinon’. It is a compound which is very helpful in removing the dead skin cells and brightening up the complexion. Moreover, aloe vera has amazing moisturizing properties, which can remove the dullness caused by dry skin. Powerful astringent properties of aloe vera help to remove excess oil from the skin, which is often a major cause of dullness. Also, aloe vera is a natural anti oxidant that help to repair and prevent oxidative damage of the skin cells done by free radicals.
How to use aloe vera in home remedies to get rid of dull skin?
Internal Consumption – Regular intake of aloe vera juice is a great way to detoxify our body and get clean, clear and glowing skin.
Face Cleanser – Prepare a DIY face wash by mixing one tsp each of aloe vera gel and honey along with few drops of lemon juice. Apply it on the face, massage in circular motions and then keep it on for 2-4 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat this home remedies to get rid of dull skin daily.
Face Scrub –
- Take two tbsp aloe vera gel and add some uncooked oatmeal powder to that. Also add required amount of rose water and mix together to prepare a paste. Apply it on the face and massage gently for 3-5 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat twice in a week.
- Here is another effective home remedies to get rid of dull skin using aloe vera. Combine equal amount of brown sugar and aloe vera gel and make a DIY scrub. Apply it on the face and massage gently to exfoliate. Remove with fresh water. Reapply twice in a week.
Face Pack –
- Combine together one tbsp fresh aloe vera gel, one tsp turmeric powder and some rose water. Apply the resultant paste on the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with fresh water. Reapply this home remedies to get rid of dull skin twice in a week.
- Prepare papaya pulp by blending 3-4 small pieces of papaya. Add a tbsp aloe vera gel to that and mix well. Apply it on the face and neck. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat regularly. This is a very powerful home remedies to get rid of dull skin combining the skin brightening properties of papaya and aloe vera, both.
3. Use Honey for Treating Dull Skin
Why it works?
Any list of best home remedies to get rid of dull skin would be incomplete without honey. Honey has great moisturizing and nourishing properties for our skin. It can draw moisture from the environment and locks it in the skin, thus, keeping the skin nicely hydrated. Honey has exfoliating properties as well. It helps in removing the dead skin cells, thus getting rid of dull skin. The anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, anti septic and anti oxidant properties of honey makes it one of the best home remedies to get rid of dull skin.
Honey is a natural astringent. It helps in removing excess oil from the face, fight off acne and pimples and keep the skin smooth and fresh. Honey also has anti aging benefits, which helps in keeping the skin youthful and glowing for a long time. Furthermore, the natural bleaching properties of honey help to get rid of dull skin effectively.
How to use honey in home remedies to get rid of dull skin?
Face Cleanser – Mix raw milk and honey in a bowl in 1:1 ratio. Apply it all over the face and neck with the help of a cotton ball. Massage the face gently with your finger tips for couple of minutes. Keep it on the skin for another 2-3 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat everyday.
Face Scrub – Take a tbsp of slightly coarse almond powder. Add two tbsp of raw, organic honey and few drops of lemon juice. Give it a good mix. Apply this DIY scrub on thoroughly cleansed face and neck. Gently massage in circular motion for 2-3 minutes and keep it on for next 5 minutes. Remove with luke warm water. Repeat this home remedies to get rid of dull skin twice in a week.
Face Pack –
- Make DIY face pack by mixing honey and fresh, plain yogurt in 1:2 ratio. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck and allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Take two tbsp of gram flour and add a tbsp raw, organic honey. Add some raw milk and mix together. Apply it all over the face and neck. Let it dry naturally. Wash off with luke warm water and reapply twice in a week.
4. Homemade Sugar Scrubs to Get Rid of Dull Skin
Why it works?
Homemade sugar scrubs are time tested home remedies to get rid of dull skin. Sugar is known as one of the best natural sources of glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is a very effective alpha hydroxy acid which offers chemical exfoliation for our skin. It helps in dissolving the layer of dead skin cells, remove them and unveil glowing, healthy skin underneath. Also, glycolic acid works wonderfully to repair the signs of premature aging of the skin (dull skin is one of them) and reverse the damage done by the sun’s UV radiation.
Along with chemical exfoliation, the slightly coarse sugar particles are great for physical exfoliation as well. Sugar scrubs can boost blood circulation in the skin. Improved blood circulation means more amount of oxygen and nutrients can reach our skin cells, nourish them and treat dull skin effectively. Moreover, sugar is a natural humectant. It attracts moisture from the air and locks it in the skin, thus ensuring skin stays well hydrated and moisturized.
How to prepare sugar scrubs to get rid of dull skin?
- Mix together one tbsp sugar, two tbsp of orange juice and also two tsp of lemon juice. Apply it on the face. Massage the face to exfoliate your skin. Once the sugar granules starts to dissolve, stop and wash the face with fresh water. Follow up with a moisturizer. Repeat twice in a week. Combining the skin brightening effect of lemon juice, orange juice as well as sugar, this definitely is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dull skin.
- Take one tomato, grate and and extract the juice from grated tomato. Add 2 tbsp sugar to the tomato juice and mix together. Apply it on the face and massage gently in circular motion until the sugar granules starts to dissolve. Wash your face with fresh, cool water and reapply this sugar scrub twice in a week.
- Here is another simple sugar scrub recipe to get rid of the dullness of the skin. Simply mix together some sugar as well as olive oil, and exfoliate your face with the resultant mixture. Massage for 3-4 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water. Use this daily.
5. Yogurt Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dull Skin
Why it works?
Yogurt is a very powerful remedy to resolve most of our skin problems and give us the skin we have always desired. Be it acne, patchy skin, dull skin, dry skin as well as sun tan – yogurt has the answer for all. Yogurt is a rich source of B vitamins. It contains vitamin B2 that keep the skin hydrated (dehydration is a major cause behind dull skin). Also, its anti oxidant properties help in providing protection from free radical damages. Moreover, vitamin B2 can boost cell regeneration to heal dry skin and also get rid of the dullness that comes with dry skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which belongs to the AHA family. Lactic acid comes with natural bleaching properties. It exfoliates the skin wonderfully and removes the layer of dead skin cells, thus, getting rid of patchy, dull skin. Lactic acid is known for its amazing skin brightening properties.
Yogurt is good source of the ‘calcium’ mineral, which helps in skin renewal process as well as protects our skin from dryness and dehydration. Furthermore, yogurt contains zinc, which has anti inflammatory properties. It can prevent dullness as well as dryness of the skin due to sun damage. Zinc also has astringent properties which reduce excess oiliness of the skin, keeping it non-oily, fresh and also glowing. Excess oil often makes our skin look dull, hence anything with astringent properties is most welcome.
How to use yogurt in home remedies to get rid of dull skin?
Face Cleanser : Mix together some gram flour (besan) as well as yogurt to prepare a soft paste. Optionally, you can add a tsp of milk there as well. Apply the resultant mixture all over the damp face as well as neck and massage for at least couple of minutes. Wash off with fresh, cool water and reapply every day. This is an excellent homemade facial cleanser to restore lost glow in the face.
Face Scrub :
- Beat one egg in a bowl and keep it aside. In a separate container, take one tbsp yogurt and mix that with two tbsp uncooked oatmeal powder. Add in the beaten egg. Mix all the ingredients together and apply the mixture on the face as well as neck. Massage gently for 3-5 minutes and let it stay on the skin for another 5-10 minutes. Wash off with fresh, cool water. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, in a bowl, combine one tsp baking soda, two tbsp fresh yogurt as well as half tsp of fresh lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and apply the paste all over the face and neck. Massage gently for 2-4 minutes in circular motions. Let it sit on the skin for another 8-10 minutes and wash the face with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
Face Pack :
- Chop a handful of fresh parsley leaves and put them in a blender. Add a little water and blend to get a smooth parsley paste. Add two tbsp yogurt to that and mix together. Apply an even layer of this face pack on the face and also neck and let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to wash your face. Repeat once in a week. This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dull skin. Parsley is a lesser known, but very effective skin lightening as well as brightening agent, thanks to its high concentration of Vitamin C.
- Cut 4-5 fresh strawberries in small pieces and put them in the blender to prepare strawberry pulp. Take out the pulp and add a tbsp of fresh, unflavored yogurt to that as well as juice of half of a lemon. Mix all the ingredients nicely and prepare the DIY yogurt face pack to treat dull skin effectively. Once done, apply the face pack all over the face as well as neck. Massage a little and then, let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Use fresh, cool water to remove it all. Repeat once in a week.
So those were our list of most effective home remedies to get rid of dull skin effectively. Choose any of these ingredients and follow the remedies mentioned here, you will thank me later 🙂