11 Amazing Home Remedies for Oily Hair – Everyone loves the feeling of freshly washed hair. But many of us face the problem of oily hair, meaning hair tends to get oily within a day or two after washing. Home remedies for oily hair are, hands down, the best way to solve this issue. Oily hair is actually the result of excess oil secretion on our scalp. Our skin has sebaceous glands/oil glands on it, and our scalp has also the same. When the sebaceous glands produce more oil than what is normal, it leads to oily scalp and oily hair. Oily hair is really annoying and sometimes, it is accompanied by a bad odor which makes it all the more embarrassing. But not to worry anymore as here we have best home remedies for oily hair for you.
Check – How to Remove Facial Hair Naturally
If you are troubled with greasy, oily hair and scalp, we have the solution for you. But first lets find out what are the reasons that lead to oily or greasy hair.
What causes Oily or Greasy Hair
Below we have discussed the factors that can trigger oily or greasy hair.
- Our skin has sebaceous glands in every pore and scalp being also our skin, has got sebaceous gland. These oil glands maintain the hydration level of our scalp by producing sebum. Sebum gives a natural shine to our hair. However, some sebaceous glands produce excess sebum, which make our hair greasy. It has been found that normally oily skin people are more likely to have oily hair.
- Our hair type also plays a key role when it comes to controlling the excess oil from the oil glands of our scalp. Those who have thick and curly hair normally have dry ends but they tend to be greasy at the scalp. The reason is when our oil glands produce too much oil in the scalp, it cannot get distributed evenly due to the curls. For this reason they end up with greasy scalp and dry ends.
- Hormones also have a vital role to play in oily hair. Increased hormone secretion during puberty can lead to oily hair. However there are other reasons of hormone fluctuation on human body as well like regular consumption of birth control pills as well as pregnancy.
- Personal hair care routine can also be blamed for oily hair. Excess rubbing during shampooing can lead to more oil production. Frequent hair wash as well as frequent brushing can also result in greasy hair and greasy scalp.
- If you have fine hair then chances are more that you can suffer from greasy hair. Fine hair means you have less surface area and there is more oil than your hair to cover and that’s why fine hair looks oilier. Even if you you have super straight hair, then the sebum has no curls or waves that can keep it near the roots of the hair. As a result, the sebum is distributed easily down the lengths of the hair and you end up with greasy hair.
- Genetics can also play a role here. If your mom or dad have greasy hair, then there is a good chance that you can also suffer from the greasy hair problem.
11 Amazing Home Remedies for Oily Hair
Let’s talk about the solutions now. There are several Home Remedies for Oily Hair that can keep your hair looking fresh and beautiful for days.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy for Oily Hair
Why to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of oily hair
We are going to start our list of home remedies for oily hair with this amazing solution. Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid in it. It is very helpful in maintaining the pH level of our scalp, which in turn can control excess sebum production on the scalp and minimize the chance of greasy hair. Also apple cider vinegar is a great hair tonic. There is a fungus known as malassezia which is found on the scalp naturally. But if it grows out of control, it can lead to oily and irritated scalp as well as dandruff. Apple cider vinegar has natural anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that can result in healthy scalp.
How to use apple cider vinegar to treat greasy hair
Simply mix 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. After washing your hair with shampoo, use this apple cider vinegar rinse. Leave it on the hair for 4-5 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Repeat this thrice a week to get rid of oily hair.
2. Treat Oily Hair with Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera to get rid of oily hair
Aloe vera is one of the most effective home remedies for oily hair. It has powerful anti oxidant properties and significant cleansing abilities which is very effective in getting rid of the grease and oil from the hair. The vitamin, minerals and enzymes present in aloe vera has made it one of the best home remedies for oily hair. The amazing detoxifying properties of aloe vera helps in keeping the scalp clean of impurities as well as control oil secretion.
How to use aloe vera as home remedies for oily hair
- Take a cup of mild shampoo. To this add 1 tsp aloe vera gel and a tbsp lemon juice. Mix together and use this on your hair just like you do with any other shampoo. Keep it on for few minutes before rinsing off. And then wash off thoroughly. Repeat this oily hair treatment whenever you shampoo your hair.
- Alternatively, you can use aloe vera juice as a hair rinse. Mix together aloe vera juice and lemon juice in 1:2 ratio. Use this solution after washing your hair with shampoo. Keep it on for few minutes and then rinse off.
3. Black Tea Solution for Oily Hair
Why to use black tea solution to fix oily hair
Black tea is a great solution for oily or greasy hair. It contains tannic acid which is a natural astringent. It helps in tightening the pores of the scalp, which in turn results in less oil secretion.
How to use black tea to get rid of greasy hair
- Its very simple to use black tea as home remedies for oily hair. All you need to do is prepare a strong cup of black tea by boiling 2 tbsp tea leaves in a cup of water. Once the tea is prepared, let it cool down and reach room temperature. Then pour it on to your head covering the scalp and hair. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse it off with plain water. Follow it up with a mild shampoo. Repeat this home remedies for oily hair 2-3 times in a week.
- Alternately, you can add lemon juice to black tea and use this solution to get rid of greasy hair. All you need to do is to prepare a cup of black tea following the above mentioned method and then, add the juice of half lemon to it. Mix nicely and pour it over your scalp after shampooing. Let it sit for few minutes and then rinse off with plain water. These tips using simple black tea are very effective to keep the oil secretion on the scalp in control.
4. Remedies for Oily Hair using Baking Soda
Why to use baking soda to treat oily hair
Baking soda is an extremely effective ingredient which can help us in getting rid of oily or greasy hair. It has natural oil absorbing properties which makes it a popular choice as home remedies for oily hair. Moreover, baking soda is alkaline in nature and that is why it helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp which in turn lead to reduced oil secretion. Baking soda can also reduce the unpleasant smell that often comes from oily hair.
How to use baking soda to get rid of oily hair
- Mix together 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water. Adjust the amount depending on the length of your hair. Apply the baking soda and water mixture to dry or wet hair. You should start at the roots and then work your way down to the ends. Allow it to sit for 1-3 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Using a vinegar rinse after applying baking soda on the hair gives sleek and manageable hair.
- Take some amount of shampoo in the palm and add 2 tsp baking soda to it. Mix together and use this solution to wash your hair, just like you do with any other shampoo. Rinse off thoroughly.
5. Fuller’s Earth Treatment for Oily Hair
Why to use fuller’s earth to fix oily hair
Next on our list of home remedies for oily hair is fuller’s earth. Fuller’s earth or multani mitti has natural oil absorbing properties. Plus it has high mineral content, which can balance the pH level of the scalp. This also reduces the oil secretion on the scalp. Multani mitti can improve blood circulation in the scalp which leads to healthy hair.
How to use fuller’s earth for oily Hair
It is very simple to use multani mitti in home remedies for oily hair.
- Prepare a thick paste by mixing 3 tbsp fuller’s earth with some water. The amount of multani mitti depends on the length of your hair. Apply the paste on the scalp and the hair and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Use this once in a week for couple of months to see desired result.
- Soak 3 tbsp multani mitti in a cup of water for 3-4 hours. Then add 3 tbsp reetha powder to it and mix well. Keep it aside for another hour. After that, apply this multani mitti-reetha powder mask on the scalp and hair and wait for 20-30 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Do follow this remedy thrice a week for best results.
- Dilute half cup of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. To this, add 3/4 cup of multani mitti and mix the ingredients well. You can also add 5-8 drops of lavender essential oil or can skip it as well. Apply this mask on the scalp and hair and allow it to sit for 20 minutes. Then, wash off with plain water first and use a mild shampoo afterwards. These are very simple yet effective home remedies for oily hair using multani mitti.
6. Get Rid of Oily Hair using Witch Hazel
Why to use witch hazel to get rid of greasy hair
Witch hazel is a great potion for our hair. It has natural astringent properties that helps to reduce the size of oil producing pores and thus controls oil secretion on the scalp and also gives relief from greasy hair. Witch hazel also can balance the pH level of the scalp which is essential to have healthy and beautiful hair.
How to use witch hazel as home remedies for oily hair
Grab a bottle of witch hazel oil. Add 4 drops of the oil to 2 tbsp water and stir well to mix the ingredients. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this solution on your scalp. Repeat at least thrice a week to get relief from oily scalp and oily hair.
7. Tomato for Oily Hair
Why to use tomato to get rid of oily hair
Next on our list of home remedies for oily hair comes tomatoes. This bright red fruit is acidic in nature and therefore it is very effective in maintaining the pH balance of our scalp. As a result, our scalp produces less oil and hair do not become greasy.
How to use tomatoes to treat greasy hair
- Take a ripe tomato and extract the juice from it. Then add a tsp of multani mitti to the tomato juice and mix both the ingredients together. If the resultant mixture turns out to be too thick, then add some water and get the right consistency. Now use this hair pack on the scalp and hair and then wear a shower cap. Wait for 30-40 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Repeat this home remedies for oily hair 1-2 times per week for best results.
- Take one big tomato and cut it in half. Extract the juice and mix it with little water to reduce the acidity. With the help of a cotton ball spread it all over the scalp and wait for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with plenty of warm water and then follow up with a mild shampoo. Use this tomato mask once or twice per week to get desired results.
8. Use Eggs for Oily Hair
Why to use egg to get rid of greasy hair
Egg masks are super beneficial for oily hair. Egg white has pore tightening properties which helps to reduce the pore size on the scalp and as a result the scalp produces less oil. It has the ability to balance the moisture level of the scalp and hair without making the hair too dry.
How to use egg in home remedies for oily hair
- Separate the egg white from an egg and add the juice of one lemon and a tbsp salt. Mix all the ingredients and prepare your egg mask. Apply it on the hair and scalp and wait for 30 minutes. Wash off with plenty off water and then follow up with shampoo and conditioner. In this egg mask for greasy hair, we have also included lemon juice that can control the excess oil secretion on the scalp.
- Here is another remedy for oily hair using egg. In a bowl, mix together 1 tbsp each of aloe vera gel, lemon juice and honey. To this, add one egg. Stir all the ingredients together to prepare your DIY egg mask. Apply it all over the scalp and hair and then wait for 30 minutes. Wash off with plenty of cold water and follow up with a shampoo. These are some of the easiest home remedies for oily hair using egg.
9. Remedies for Oily Hair using Beer
Why to use beer to get rid of oily hair
Beer is an excellent remedy for greasy hair. It is made up of malt, hop and yeast and also contains various nutrients like, iron, copper, phosphorus, magnesium and B vitamins that are essential for healthy hair. The alcohol has drying effect and that’s why, beer is considered as one of the best home remedies for oily hair. It also cleanses the build up from the scalp as well as stimulates blood circulation. This in turn ensures faster and healthier hair growth.
Check – 12 Magical Home Remedies for Split Ends without Cutting Hair
How to use beer for Oily Hair
Check out below for couple of home remedies for oily hair using beer –
- Beer rinse is a great way to remove greasiness from hair. First shampoo your hair and wash with water as usual. Then pour the beer on the scalp and wait for 3-5 minutes. Finally rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can mix together 100 ml beer and 1 egg yolk. Apply it on your scalp and hair and leave it on for 20-30 minutes. First wash off with plenty of water and use a mild shampoo.
10. Use Strawberries to Get Rid of Oily Hair
Why to use strawberries to fix oily hair
Strawberries are tasty and works great for oily, acne prone skin. But many of us do not know that strawberries are also one of the best home remedies for oily hair. These cute little fruits have natural oil-absorbing properties that help to get rid of the oil build-up on the scalp and hair. Plus, they are the powerhouse of nutrients which make them very nourishing for our hair.
How to use strawberries to remove greasiness from the hair
Take half a cup of fresh strawberries and wash them thoroughly. Then put them in a blender and prepare a strawberry puree. Use a strainer to separate the grainy bits. Spread the smooth strawberry puree all over the scalp and hair and wait for 15 minutes. Wash off with plenty of water.
11. Lemon Juice Remedies for Oily Hair
Why to use lemon juice to get rid of oily hair
We are going to conclude this list of natural home remedies for oily hair with lemon juice. Lemon contains citric acid in it which is a great solution to remove the oil accumulation on the scalp and hair. The astringent properties of lemon juice helps in controlling the excess oil production by the sebaceous glands on the scalp. Plus, the acidic nature of lemon helps to balance the natural pH level of the scalp, leading to healthy scalp and healthy hair. Find out below how to use lemon juice.
How to use lemon juice to fix oily hair issue
- Squeeze out the juice from 2-3 lemons and then add 2 cups of water to it to prepare your lemon juice hair rinse. First wash your hair with shampoo and water as usual. Then, pour the lemon juice and water rinse on the scalp and hair. Massage the scalp lightly for few seconds and then wait for 4-5 minutes. Rinse off with slightly warm water.
- Alternatively, you can add few drops of lemon juice on 1-2 tbsp aloe vera gel and mix both the ingredients to make a paste. Massage it gently all over the scalp and wait for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off with water and then, follow up with shampoo. Do it 2-3 times per week to control excessive oiliness of the hair and scalp.
These were our Top 11 amazing home remedies for oily hair. Hair is our crowning glory and its our responsibility to take proper care of them. Oily hair is a very common problem among both men and women, but sometimes we cannot seem to control it. These home remedies for oily hair will surely help you to deal with the problem and keep your hair fresh for long time 🙂