10 Best Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Your Face – Get Clear Skin – If you think acne is the worst enemy of our skin, then dark spots come very closely as well. They hinder the glow of our skin, and sometimes even layers of makeup cannot hide them. We will share few home remedies for dark spots in this article that will also help you to achieve clear skin. Like all other home remedies this one also takes time, but the result is worth the wait. There are many costly treatments available now a days to remove dark spots. But those treatments like many of the creams/serums work superficially. Home remedies take time, but give much better result. So, lets check out best home remedies for dark spots below.
Check – Natural Face Scrub and Face Pack to Remove Dark Spots and Wrinkles
Before starting with the list of best home remedies for dark spots, lets try and find out the causes of dark spots on our face.
Causes of Dark Spots on Face
Dark spots are actually the result of melanin accumulation under the skin. Now, melanin accumulation can happen any time, at any age. There are few factors that can lead to accumulation of the melanin. Read them below.
Sunlight Exposure – This is one of the most common reasons behind developing dark spots on face and various other parts of the body (mostly exposed to sun light). The most common form of dark spots caused by sun light is known as age spots or liver spots. Prolonged sun exposure damages the pigment producing cells, known as melanocytes which leads to excess production of melanin. And that takes the form of dark spots.
Check – How to Protect your Fair Skin from Sun Damage
Melasma – It is a common skin condition which appears in the form of grayish patches on the skin. It mostly affects foreheads, cheeks, and the area between mouth and nose. Melasma can also affect those parts of the body that are frequently exposed to sun light.
Hormonal Issues – During pregnancy or while taking birth control pills, our body experiences fluctuation of hormone production which can also lead to formation of dark spots on the face and other parts of the body. The irregularity of hormone production can cause uneven melanin production.
Facial Hair Removal – This can also lead to dark spots formation. When we remove facial hair by waxing, tweezing or by using hair removal creams, it leads to inflammation on that part of the skin, which can cause dark patches on the skin over time.
Pollutants – The pollutants present in the air can also lead to dark spots formation. In order to protect our skin from the damage, the skin cells produce anti oxidants and excess amount of melanin which later on can result in dark spots.
Perfume – Many of us are not aware that perfumes can also be the culprit. Many perfumes that we use on daily basis contain photo-sensitizers which can make our skin sensitive to sun’s rays. Most commonly the presence of Bergamot oil does the damage. Bergamot oil is a very common ingredient in perfumes. This type of dark spots are known as berlock dermatitis.
Acne – Severe acne breakouts can result in ugly spots and marks. This kind of dark spots are known as post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation. This actually happens when the skin heals any injury and leaves behind some discoloration.
Best Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Your Face
Now, lets talk about the solution. Below we have discussed the best home remedies for dark spots that can give you clear and spotless skin.
1. Lemon Juice
How to use lemon juice to get rid of dark spots
We are starting our list of best home remedies for dark spots with lemon juice.
- Take required quantity of fresh lemon juice in a bowl and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply it onto the affected part of the face with the help of that cotton ball. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with plain water. Repeat daily for best results. However, if you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with some water and then apply it on the skin.
- In a bowl combine 1 tbsp fresh yogurt with the juice of one lemon. Apply it all over the face and keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Extract the juice from half of the lemon and add some sugar to it. Mix together. Apply it all over the face and massage gently for 2 minutes. Give special attention to the dark spots. Wash it off with plain water.
- Mix together equal part of fresh lemon juice and organic honey. Add few strands of saffron as well. Mix together and apply it directly onto the spots. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off. Continue these home remedies for dark spots regularly for several weeks to see desired result.
Lemon juice is one of the best home remedies for dark spots. Lemon juice has citric acid in it which acts as a natural bleaching agent. It helps in lightening the dark spots. Vitamin C in lemon juice leads to rapid cell regeneration which also helps to reduce the dark spots. Furthermore, Vitamin C has anti oxidant properties which protect the skin from external stressors and also the free radicals.
2. Aloe Vera
How to use aloe vera to cure dark spots on face
- Cut a fresh aloe leaf from the plant and cut it in half. Then extract the fresh gel from the leaf and then put it directly on the dark spots. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Take 1 tsp aloe vera gel in a bowl and also mix with 1 tsp milk and half tsp honey. Apply the resultant mixture onto the affected parts of the skin. Leave it on overnight. The next morning wash off with normal water. This is an amazing natural remedy that also helps in controlling melanin production.
- Here is another great way to use aloe vera in home remedies for dark spots. In a bowl, take 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice and some aloe vera gel. Combine together and then apply it on the face. Massage gently with your finger tips for 5-10 minutes. Wash off with cool water. You can carry out this natural treatment every alternate day.
- Put few papaya cubes in a blender and then make a pulp. Add some fresh aloe vera gel to it. Mix together and apply the mixture on to the skin and then keep it on for 20 minutes. Wash off. Repeat this 3-4 times per week.
Aloe vera gel contains powerful components including vitamins such as Vitamin A, C, E, minerals, sugars, lignin, salicylic acid, plant enzymes and amino acids. The strong anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera also helps in lightening the spots on the skin. Moreover, aloe vera boosts up our cell turnover rate which also aids in lightening the skin discolorations. Aloe vera contains a compound known as ‘anthraquinon’ which is very also helpful in lightening pigmentation and spots. No doubt aloe vera is considered as one of the best home remedies for dark spots.
How to use potato in home remedies for dark spots
- Take a small potato. Remove the skin and cut it in to thick slices. Take a slice and also make it wet by pouring few drops of water on the surface. Rub it on your face for 5-10 minutes and then keep it on for another few minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat 3-4 times per day for at least a month to lighten the spots.
- For this remedy you will need potato juice. Grate one medium sized potato and then extract the juice. Add little bit of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix well. Apply this on the affected areas and let it dry naturally. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat this twice a day to see result.
- Following the method mentioned above, extract juice from a potato. Add a tsp of honey and apply this mixture of honey and potato juice on the affected parts and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Use plain water to wash it off and repeat every alternate day.
Potatoes contain an enzyme known as catecholase. It plays a vital role in lightening skin tone by controlling excessive melanin production. This is the primary reason why potato is used to treat spots and pigmentation on the skin. Potatoes contain starch and sugar and these two component work together to exfoliate the skin and also remove dead skin cells. This in turn encourages the growth of new and healthy cells. Furthermore, the vitamins and minerals present in potato boost collagen production and maintain the skin texture and health. Repeat all these home remedies daily for some time for desired result.
Check – 15 Best Home Remedies to Lighten Dark Elbows and Knees
How to use yogurt in home remedies for dark spots on face
- Take a small mixing bowl and take 2 tbsp fresh yogurt, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice and 1 tbsp uncooked oatmeal. Mix all the ingredients and then turn it into a thick paste. Apply this all over the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Alternatively, put 2 tbsp fresh yogurt, handful of fresh mint leaves, some rose water in a blender. Once it forms a thick paste, take it out and then apply all over the face. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Do this daily.
Yogurt has amazing skin benefits. The presence of lactic acid has made it one of the best natural skin exfoliators. It rids the skin of dead and pigmented skin cells and also encourages new cell growth. This process significantly helps in lightening dark spots on the face. The best thing about using yogurt is that it is safe for all skin types.
5. Vitamin E Oil
How to use vitamin E oil to get rid of dark spots
Next comes vitamin E oil on our list of best home remedies for dark spots
- Applying vitamin E oil directly over the spots is the easiest way to lighten them. You can get hold of a bottled vitamin E oil or alternatively squeeze out vitamin E oil from vitamin E capsules. Apply the oil on the spots and massage with your finger tips. Do this as an overnight treatment and repeat daily.
- Puncture 2-3 Vitamin E capsules and then collect the oil in a bowl. Add 3-4 drops of castor oil to that. Mix both and then apply it directly on the affected parts of the skin. Massage gently and keep it on overnight. Let it do its job through out the night and rinse off in the next morning. Follow this remedy daily.
- Take 2 tbsp multani mitti and add the contents of two vitamin E capsules to it. Mix and add one tbsp blended papaya to this, also add some rose water. Mix the ingredients nicely and apply an even layer on the face. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Do this once a week.
Vitamin E is a great solution to lighten skin discoloration along with spots and marks. It has strong anti oxidant properties that neutralize the free radicals which can otherwise cause dark spots. Vitamin E is also very effective in tissue repair. Studies have proved that vitamin E also has skin de-pigmentation effect and it significantly can lighten the dark patches caused by melanin accumulation. Regularly repeat all the home remedies for dark spots with Vitamin E for best result.
How to use turmeric in home remedies for dark spots
- Take 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp corn flour and 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl. Prepare a pack and then apply it directly on the skin. Let it sit for 20-25 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Carry out this treatment twice or thrice a week.
- Combine half tsp turmeric powder with a tsp olive oil and some fresh yogurt. Once it forms a paste, apply it all over the face. Massage gently giving special attention to the dark spots. Let it sit for another 20 minutes and wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Add 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp milk to half tsp of turmeric powder. Mix together and then apply this all over the face. Massage gently giving special attention to the dark spots. Wait for another 15 minutes and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day.
- Alternatively, you can combine a generous pinch of turmeric powder with 2 tsp fresh cucumber juice. Apply this on the affected parts of the face and gently massage. Leave it on for about an hour. Wash off with plain water. Regular application of these home remedies will reduce dark spots over time.
Unusual melanin production is one of the main causes of dark spots formation on the skin. Turmeric has the ability to control melanin production and thus, helps to lighten skin discoloration and spots. Apart from melanin accumulation, sun damage is another main cause that leads to dark spots on the face. Here also turmeric can help us. It has the ability to protect our skin from sun damage. Thus it not only saves our skin from dark spots and pigmentation but also from photo-aging. Turmeric contains a strong anti oxidant known as ‘curcumin’ which prevents free radical damages and reduces spots and pigmentation.
How to use papaya to cure dark spots on face
- Grate one medium sized ripe papaya and extract the juice. Apply it directly on the skin and let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water. Repeat once or twice a day until you get desired results. You can also apply papaya pulp on the skin. Simply blend few papaya cubes in a blender and your papaya pulp is ready to use.
- Alternatively, combine 2 tbsp papaya pulp, 1 tbsp milk and 1 tbsp organic honey. Apply the mixture all over the face. Let it dry and then rinse off with luke warm water. Do this twice a day and over time you will get satisfactory results.
- Take 1 tbsp of mashed papaya and add this to a tsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp uncooked oatmeal. Make it a paste and apply this on the face with giving special attention to the dark spots. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a day.
Papaya contains an enzyme known as ‘papain’. It is actually a protein dissolving enzyme. It helps in skin exfoliation which also removes the pigmented layer of the skin. Over time it lightens skin discoloration and reveal clean and clear skin. Furthermore, papaya has the ability to control melanin production. The enzyme papain can inhibit the production of tyrosinase enzyme, which is the main factor behind excess production of melanin.
How to use avocado to get rid of dark spots on face
Next comes avocado on our list of home remedies for dark spots
- Mash 1 ripe avocado and then apply it directly on the face. Spread an even layer and let it stay for about 20-30 minutes. Wash off. Repeat this treatment 2-3 times per week.
- Alternatively, put half of a ripe avocado and half of a ripe tomato in a blender. Make a paste and apply it on to the face. Allow it to dry and then wash off with plain water. Repeat regularly.
Researches suggest that avocado is one of the best fruit to fight aging and thus lighten the age spots. Avocado contains a type of protein known as ‘sterolins’. It helps in reducing age spots, dark patches, scars and also treats pigmentation due to sun damage. Avocado also contains a large amount of Vitamin E. Moreover, this plays a big role in reducing skin discoloration and lighten pigmentation and dark spots, thanks to the anti oxidant properties.
Check – 15 Best Skin Lightening Creams, Gels and Serums
9. Sandalwood Powder
How to treat dark spots with sandalwood powder
- In a bowl, take 1-2 tsp of red sandalwood powder. Add 1 tsp glycerin and 1-2 tbsp of raw milk. Mix all the three ingredients to prepare a thick paste. Spread it evenly all over the face and then let it sit for 20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat this 2-3 times in a week.
- Alternatively, prepare a face pack with red sandalwood powder and tomato juice. Add some tomato juice to 3-4 tsp of red sandalwood and make a paste. If required, add some rose water or plain water to make it smooth and spreadable. Apply it all over the face, wait till it gets dry and wash off with fresh, cool water. Repeat regularly.
Sandalwood powder has amazing healing power. And that’s why, it is quite popular as one of the best home remedies for dark spots. It acts quickly to reduce any kind of pigmentation, including sun tan, dark spots or dark patches. What’s more, sandalwood powder is a great antiseptic and also provide fast relief from inflammation. And it has strong anti aging properties as well that rids the skin of signs of aging, such as wrinkles and lines.
10. Calamine Lotion
We are going to conclude this list of best home remedies for dark spots with calamine lotion. Calamine lotion is easily available in any chemist shop. Most of us keep a bottle of calamine lotion handy in our household.
How to use calamine lotion to get rid of dark spots
With the help of a cotton ball, apply calamine lotion all over the affected parts of your face and leave it on overnight. Wash it off with plain water the next morning. Repeat this daily.
The main component of calamine lotion is zinc oxide and ferric oxide which can treat a number of skin concerns, including rash, pimples, chicken pox, insect bites etc. But what makes calamine lotion one of the best home remedies for dark spots is the fact that it contains kaolin which has the ability to reduce pigmentation and dark spots. Calamine lotion also has a soothing effect on the skin.
We have prepared this list of 10 best home remedies for dark spots that can give you clean and clear skin with regular use. One thing you need to remember that skin care is a constant process and also you cannot have miraculous result within 2-3 days. So have patience and follow your regime to get best result.