Seven Effective Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails – Beautiful nails add another charm to your look. But due to lack of care and other reasons, our nails lose the luster and shine, thus becoming dry and brittle. And brittle nails are not easy to get rid of. Here in this article, we are going to discuss simple but effective home remedies to strengthen brittle nails. Nails become brittle when they get excessive dry. And this dryness can be the result of either aging, or over-usage of nail polishes, nutritional deficiency, dehydration as well as lack of nail care. Those who have to do household chores often suffer from brittle nails. Brittle nails are more prone to chipping and cracking. To avoid all these, check out these wonderful home remedies to strengthen brittle nails.
Check – 15 Must Have Tools in Your Nail Art Kit
There are many reasons that can lead to weak nails or brittle nails. Below we have discussed a few –
What causes Brittle Nails?
Nutritional deficiency is a major reason that can lead to weak nails. And in such scenario, no amount of hand cream can save you. Did you know that lack of iron not only causes anemia, but it can also weaken your nails? Iron is essential to form hemoglobin, a molecule that is responsible for carrying oxygen to the nail matrix. Fresh oxygen keeps nails healthy and strong, and when nails cannot get enough oxygen, they become dry, brittle.
Just like iron, B vitamins are also required for healthy nails. Studies have proved that B vitamins work as hair and nail strengthener. Biotin or Vitamin B7 is particularly effective in treating weak nails. If your nails are peeling on the tip or showing ridges lengthwise, do not ignore because both are signs of brittle nails. Taking biotin rich food or biotin supplements can help to treat such condition.
Wrong Application of Nail Polishes
We love painting our nails, and why not? It is such a cute girly thing! But nail polishes can also make our nails unhealthy, dry and weak. However, by following few simple tips you can avoid these side effects of nail paints. Firstly, go for a safe option. Today, many cosmetic brand are coming up with five-free, seven-free or nine-free nail polishes, which are almost free from harmful stuffs. Try to go for these nail polishes.
Next, skip the base coat. Yes, that’s right. Skip the base coat. When you apply base coat on the nails, the chemicals present in it end up damaging our nail plate, making it weaker. So, experts suggest that before using nail polish, always apply a little moisturizer or hand lotion. Let it dry and then wipe away the excess. Apply your nail polish. Using a moisturizer helps to fill in the microscopic gaps in the nails and acts as a primer. It also helps to keep the nails hydrated.
And, finally don’t keep your nail polish on for more than five days. All nail polishes contain drying ingredient. Even the five-free or seven-free polishes also contain them, after all, something has to make the nail polish dry after you paint your nails, right? So, the fix is to not to keep any nail polish on for more then 4-5 days.
Using Nail Polish Remover
By now, most of us are aware of the harmful effect of using nail polish remover. The acetone present in the nail polish remover strips the nail of its natural moisture barrier, making them dry and brittle. Try to use a non-acetone nail polish remover.
Don’t Cut Your Cuticles
This is a bad habit that many of us actually follow. The cuticle part at the base of the nails work as a protective layer for our nails and protect them from water, bacteria etc. When we cut the cuticles, we actually end up removing that protective layer, which can lead to several nail-problems.
These were some common reasons that make our nails dry and brittle. Now, let’s focus on the solution. Below, we have shared few simple and effective home remedies to strengthen brittle nails.
Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails
1. Use Vitamin E Oil to Strengthen Brittle Nails
Why it works?
Vitamin E oil is an excellent moisturizer, which is why it is considered as one of the best home remedies to strengthen brittle nails. It helps to moisturize dry nails and with the help of its emollient nature, vitamin E also prevents moisture loss from the nails. Also, it has anti oxidant benefits which help to keep the nails protected from free radical damages, as well as external factors, both of which can end up making the nails dry and brittle. Vitamin E has the ability to strengthen nails over time.
How to use Vitamin E oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails?
- Create a small hole in couple of vitamin E capsules and extract the oil from inside. Apply the oil directly on the nails and massage gently. Alternatively, you can get a bottle of vitamin E oil from the stores and massage a few drops of the same on to your nails and cuticles. Keep it on overnight and repeat every day at night before going to bed.
- Add few drops of vitamin E oil to half tsp of coconut oil. Mix both the oils and apply it on the nails. Massage for few minutes and keep it overnight. Do this every night before going to bed.
- Also, you can mix together a tsp of aloe vera gel and few drops of vitamin E oil, and massage the resultant mixture on to the nails and cuticles. Do this at night daily and within 2-3 weeks, you will notice the difference.
- Mix together few drops of each vitamin E oil and castor oil. Apply the oil blend on the nails at night, before going to bed and massage gently for few minutes. Wait till it gets partly absorbed, and then go to sleep.
2. Coconut Oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails
Why it works?
Next comes this one on our list of Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer, thanks to the presence of high amount of medium chain fatty acids (such as, capric acid and caprylic acid) and triglycerides. They nourish weak nails and also help to retain moisture. Coconut oil is high in vitamin E, which is also known for its amazing moisturizing benefits. Vitamin E helps in putting moisture back to the nails as well as strengthen them, due to its anti oxidant properties.
One of the main benefits of using coconut oil for Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails is that it can be absorbed easily. When used on the nails, coconut oil reaches the deep and adds moisture to the nails, thus preventing dry and brittle nails. Brittle nails are more prone to infections. Coconut oil, with its anti fungal and anti inflammatory benefits, helps to prevent nail infections.
How to use coconut oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails?
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and massage it on the nails and cuticles. Wait til it gets absorbed and then go to sleep. Keep it on overnight. You can also do it few times in a day, simply wipe away the excess oil once it gets absorbed and continue your work.
- Mix together few drops each of coconut oil and glycerin. Apply the solution on the nails and massage for 2-3 minutes. Keep it on the nails for another 15-20 minutes and wipe away the excess. Repeat once or twice daily. You can even use this as an overnight Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails.
- Add a tsp of honey to equal amount of coconut oil. Mix together and massage it on the nails and cuticles. Wait for some time, until it get absorbed. Remove the excess with damp towel. Repeat few times in a day or as an overnight treatment.
- Add two tbsp of virgin coconut oil to half cup of fresh aloe vera gel. Mix together with a hand blender, until you get a fluffy, creamy mixture. Store it in an air tight container and keep it in the refrigerator. Use this as your nail cream. Every night, before going to bed, massage a little amount on your nails. Let your nails absorb it and then go to sleep.
3. Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails Using Shea Butter
Why it works?
Shea butter offers amazing moisturization, which makes it one of the best Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails. It contains a high amount of saturated fats and fatty acids, which help in nourishing the nails. The emollient properties of shea butter can lock moisture in to the nails and prevent dryness as well as brittle nails. Also, shea butter is rich in vitamin A and E, both of which are extremely important for healthy nails. Vitamin A helps to keep dryness away, whereas, vitamin E is an anti oxidant which helps in restoring moisture back to the nails and protects the same from several damages. The anti inflammatory benefits of shea butter help to get rid of brittle nails and keep them healthy. Regular application of shea butter adds a healthy shine to the nails.
How to use shea butter in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails?
- Rub shea butter on the nails and cuticles for few minutes. Wait for some time and then keep it on overnight. This will nourish the nails, keeps them strong and heals the nails and cuticles.
- Add few drops of tea tree essential oil to a tsp of melted shea butter. Mix together and massage it on to the nails. Do this at night before going to the bed and keep it on for overnight. This is a great natural treatment for nail fungus.
- Take half cup of melted shea butter and add two tbsp coconut oil to that. Mix thoroughly and keep the resultant inside an air tight container. Use this as your nail cream. Every night before hitting the bed, apply some of this DIY nail cream on the nails and massage thoroughly. Let the nails absorb it and go to bed.
4. Jojoba Oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails
Why it works?
Jojoba oil is one of the best Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails, because of its amazing moisturizing properties. It comes loaded with oleic acid, eicosenoic acid and erucic acid. Jojoba oil is anti oxidant in nature and along with that its anti septic and anti inflammatory benefits keep our nails healthy and strong. It has excellent emollient properties, which helps in preventing moisture loss. Also the oil is known for its hydrating properties. When used on the nails, jojoba oil protects them from external pollutants and keep them moisturized as well as healthy.
How to use jojoba oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails?
- Take a few drops of jojoba oil and massage it on to the nails and cuticles. Keep on massaging for 2-3 minutes and let the nails absorb the goodness. Keep it on overnight and repeat daily.
- Prepare an oil blend by mixing together few drops each of avocado oil and jojoba oil. Use this to massage your nails and cuticles for few minutes. Wait for some time, so that, the nails can absorb most of it. Leave it on overnight. Do this Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails daily.
- Nail fungus is one of the reasons that can lead to brittle nails. Using a combination of jojoba oil and tea tree essential oil is a great remedy to treat nail fungus. Apply this oil blend every night on the nails and massage gently for few minutes. Wait for some time and go to bed.
- Add few drops of honey to a tsp of jojoba oil. Mix together and massage the resultant mixture on to the nails and cuticles. Wait for 15-20 minutes and wipe off the excess. Repeat this Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails daily.
How to Grow Nails Faster – 12 Best Tips and Home Remedies
How To Get Rid of Yellow Nails | Best Home Remedies
This is How I Remove Glittery Nail Paints from My Nails
5. Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails using Avocado Oil
Why it works?
Avocado oil is rich in omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids along with anti oxidants, polyphenols and other nutrients. It contains a high amount of vitamin A, which is extremely important to get rid of dry and brittle nails. Also avocado oil is rich in vitamin E and potassium, both of which help to moisturize the nails. Avocado oil contains lecithin, another compound known for its nourishing and moisturizing benefits. Plus, avocado oil contains mono unsaturated fatty acid which are quite effective to moisturize our nails. This oil also contains vitamin B in it and we have already discussed that vitamin B is vital for healthy nails. The anti oxidant and anti inflammatory benefits of avocado oil along with its nutrients help to treat dry and brittle nails.
How to use avocado oil in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails?
- Massage few drops of avocado oil on to the nails and cuticles every night. Keep on massaging for few minutes and then leave it on overnight.
- Mix together few drops each of avocado oil and lavender essential oil. This works as a great nail moisturizer. Every night, before going to bed, apply few drops of this oil blend on the nails and massage gently for few minutes. Keep it on overnight.
- Add few drops of honey to a tsp of avocado oil. Apply the resultant mixture to the nails and massage for few minutes. Let it sit on the nails for another 10-15 minutes and then wipe off the excess with a damp towel. Do this once or twice in a day.
- The combination of avocado oil and olive oil works as one of the best Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails. Massage your nails and cuticles with this oil blend for few minutes every night before hitting the bed. Do this as an overnight treatment.
6. Olive Oil to Strengthen Nails
Why it works?
Olive oil has amazing moisturizing benefits for our skin as well as hair. The main reason why olive oil helps with deep moisturization is because of its vitamin E content. Olive oil is rich in vitamin E, which is an anti oxidant. It protects the nails from free radical damages as well as external pollutants. Also, vitamin E has wonderful moisturizing properties, as well as it helps in preventing moisture loss, due to its emollient nature. Along with vitamin E, olive oil contains vitamin A,D, E and K, all of which help with keeping the nails moisturized and healthy. Olive oil has moisture-lock properties. The healthy fats in olive oil add nourishment and moisturization, thus helping to heal dry and brittle nails. When used on the nails, olive oil creates a protective barrier on them and prevent moisture loss.
How to use olive oil for strengthening weak nails?
- At night, before going to bed, heat up a tsp of olive oil and massage the warm oil on to your nails and cuticles for few minutes. Do not wash off, do this as an overnight treatment to repair your dry and weak nails. Repeat daily for fast result.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a cup of fresh orange juice. And this is your DIY nail soak. Dip your fingers in the solution and soak the nails for 10-12 minutes. Wash off with plain water, pat dry and apply some moisturizing hand cream. Repeat every alternate day.
- Mix few drops each of coconut oil and glycerin, and apply the blend on the nails. Massage for couple of minutes and wait for another 15-20 minutes. Use a damp towel to remove the excess and follow up with a nourishing hand and nail cream. Repeat once or twice every day to strengthen weak nails.
- Prepare an oil blend by mixing together few drops each of castor oil and olive oil. Use this blend to massage your nails and cuticles. Keep on massaging for few minutes, and wait for another few minutes to allow your nails absorb the goodness. If required wipe off the excess. Do this at night before going to sleep.
7. Lemon Juice in Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails
Why this works?
Lemon juice is a great source of vitamin C, which works as an anti oxidant and protects the nails from getting dry and brittle. It saves the nails from free radical damages as well as external stress. Also lemon juice can remove yellow stain from the nails and brighten them up. The anti bacterial and anti fungal benefits of lemon juice help to treat nail fungus, which is one of the major causes of brittle nails.
How to use lemon juice to strengthen nails?
- Take 3 tbsp olive oil in a bowl and add a tbsp of fresh lemon juice to it. Mix together and warm up the mixture a bit. Before going to bed at night, use this lemon juice-olive oil mixture to massage your nails. Let it stay on the nails for few minutes and then wear gloves while you are sleeping. Repeat daily for best results.
- Mix argan oil and fresh lemon juice in 1:1 ratio. This will work as a nail soak. Dip your fingers in the solution and soak the nails in it for about 20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and pat dry. Apply a moisturizer and go to sleep. Do this daily at night.
- Add few drops of lemon juice to 1-2 tsp of honey and mix together. At night, before going to bed, apply the mixture on the nails and massage gently. Let it stay on the nails for 15-20 minutes and then, wash off with plain water. Pat dry and apply a conditioning hand cream. Repeat every night.
- Here is another great way to use lemon juice for strengthening the nails. Mix together few drops of fresh lemon juice and a tbsp of warm coconut oil. With the help of a cotton ball, apply the mixture on the nails and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with plain water and apply a nourishing hand cream. Repeat daily at night.
Do not stress over dry and weak nails anymore. Use any of these Home Remedies to Strengthen Brittle Nails, and feel proud to flaunt your beautiful nails once again.