Dry Skin Care – Natural Tips and Remedies You Must Remember – Winter is approaching slowly, but surely. And this is the time when our skin needs extra care, specially if you have dry skin. So, here we have come up with an article with simple tips and remedies for dry skin care. People with dry skin mostly hate winter, and you cannot blame them for that. After all, who loves that stretchy feeling on the skin all the time! But that doesn’t mean you have to spend thousands for expensive serums or creams. If we can follow few simple tips and natural remedies for dry skin care, I can bet both you and your skin will fall in love with winter. So, without any further delay, lets find out some of the best tips for dry skin care below.
Check – Check the Easiest Skin Care Routine For Dry Skin
There are certain factors that can lead to dry skin conditions, such as aging, weather conditions, medications, wrong skin care routine etc. During winter, our skin becomes dry due to dry and chilly weather condition. Also, we often use heated air inside to keep us warm, and this heated air can also cause dryness of the skin. Winter is certainly not a great time for those who have naturally dry skin, but people with oily or normal skin can also face dry, stretchy skin during winter.
Now that we know what can cause dry skin condition during winter, let us find out the solutions. Below, we have discussed the tips and remedies for dry skin care.
Simple Beauty Tips for Dry Skin Care
1. Choose Your Facial Cleanser Wisely
Cleansing is the first and most important step of our skin care routine. It is very important that one must choose his/her facial cleanser depending on skin type. For those with dry skin, choosing a face wash can be tricky, specially during winter. Almost every face wash tend to leave our skin dry, hence, go with a mild, cream based facial cleanser. It must not be a foaming face wash, as that would strip the skin of its natural oils and make the skin drier. Avoid gel based face washes as well, because most of them are targeted to oily skin types. Thick, rich, cream based moisturizing face washes are best for dry skin care, specially during winter.
2. Use Moisturizing Toner
After cleansing, comes toning, and here also dry skin people have to be very careful. Go for moisturizing toners, instead of astringent based toners. Astringent based toners are mostly suited for oily skin people. Toners that contain natural oils or essential oils are ideal for dry skin people.
3. Apply Serum
Since dry skin needs extra moisturization, so opt for a serum before applying your regular moisturizer. Serum comes in concentrated form, but is able to penetrate much better than our regular moisturizers. Serum reaches deep in to the layers of skin and provide an extra layer of moisturization as well as protection from the external factors.
4. Moisturization is Must
Just because you have applied serum, doesn’t mean you can skip your moisturizer. Moisturizer is must for dry skin care, not only in winter, but for all year around. Choose a non-comedogenic moisturizer, so that there is no risk of getting breakouts. While you can use a lightweight moisturizer for summer and other times of the year, winter requires a slightly heavy duty moisturizer, because our skin loses moisturizer rapidly in dry, chilly weather condition.
5. Exfoliation is the Key
Exfoliation is very, very important for all types of skin. Our skin sheds dead skin cells regularly and they tend to accumulate on the outermost surface of the skin. Exfoliation helps to loosen those dead skin cells and finally leads to their removal. Dry skin actually sheds dead skin cells at a faster rate compared to the other skin types, which is why exfoliation is must for those with dry skin. You will get many face scrubs in the market, as well as can prepare your own scrub at home. If you don’t exfoliate regularly, the dead skin cells end up blocking the skin pores and prevent skin nourishing as well as moisturizing products to enter and repair the skin damage. When we clear up those dead skin cells, our skin can breathe and also absorb the moisturizer or other skin nourishing products.
6. Pay Attention to Night Time Skin Care
At the end of the day, most of us feel super tired and only want to hit the sack as soon as possible, and we simply avoid night time skin care. However, night time skin care is extremely important. At night, when we sleep, our skin rejuvenates and repairs itself. And a nourishing night cream can boost the effect, and help you wake up with soft, glowing skin. Dry skin is more prone to premature aging, because lack of moisture makes it an ideal condition for wrinkles and fine lines to appear. Hence, its important for dry skin people to start anti aging skin care early. Do invest in a night cream, that has vitamin A or retinol in it, as its a very powerful anti aging ingredient. Vitamin A increases sebum production, which is effective to treat skin dryness, and avoid wrinkles and other signs of skin aging.
7. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated from inside is very important if you want to avoid dry and rough skin. When our body suffers from dehydration, the affect shows up on the skin in the form of dry patches or rough skin. So drink plenty of water to stay hydrated from within. Also, add water-rich fruits and veggies to your daily diet to replenish lost water in the body. Also, make sure you do not suffer from nutritional deficiency. Often, lack of vitamins can make our skin dry and rough, so its important to follow a vitamin-rich diet in order to maintain a soft, glowing and healthy skin.
These were some of the simplest tips for dry skin care. Now, we are going to talk about how you can use easily available natural ingredients to repair your skin texture and bid adieu to dryness forever.
Best Natural Remedies for Dry Skin Care
1. Dry Skin Care with Aloe Vera
Why to use aloe vera for dry skin care?
Aloe vera works miraculously for our skin and can help resolve almost every skin concern. No doubt it is one of the great natural remedies when it comes to dry skin care. The natural aloe vera gel is definitely the best way to treat dry and patchy skin. However, organic aloe vera gels that we get in the market also work well. Aloe vera gel contains polysachharide, which helps to retain the moisture content of the skin. Being an anti oxidant, aloe vera helps to boost collagen and elastin production in the skin, both of which are important for restoring the suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
Furthermore, the anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera help in soothing dry, irritated skin. Aloe vera is a natural anti aging ingredient, which helps to prevent premature signs of aging, like wrinkles and lines and preserve the youthfulness of the skin. Aloe vera has the natural power to rejuvenate the skin by providing a boost of hydration. Topical application of aloe vera can soften skin without clogging pores, which makes it safe even for the sensitive skin type.
How to use aloe vera for dry skin care?
- Cut one fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from inside. Apply the aloe vera gel on to the skin and massage gently until it gets absorbed in to the skin. Leave it on overnight. Do this every night. This is the easiest dry skin care solution using aloe vera.
- Take a few ripe banana slices and mash them with a fork. Add a tbsp aloe vera gel to the mashed banana and mix both of them together to form a paste. Apply this on the face and neck, massage gently and then wait for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Reapply once or twice in a week.
- Mix together 4 tbsp each of aloe vera gel and shea butter. Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to the mixture and give it a final mix. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck and gently massage with your fingertips. Wash off the pack after 15-20 minutes with fresh water. Repeat this remedy for dry skin care twice in a week.
- Take half cup of fresh plain yogurt and add two tbsp fresh aloe vera gel to it. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and reapply regularly.
2. Use Avocado to Soften Dry Skin
How avocado works for dry skin care?
Avocados also work amazingly well for dry skin. They contain a great amount of Vitamin A, which is extremely important for dry skin. Vitamin A helps in increasing sebum secretion, which can heal dry and flaky skin. Also avocados are high in vitamin E and potassium, both of which work as natural moisturizers for dry skin. Besides, avocado is a great source of Oleic acid, a mono-saturated fatty acid which helps in keeping the skin soft and supple. Plus, avocados have vitamin B in them, and B vitamins are known for soothing dry and inflamed skin. They can as well boost cell metabolism.
The fruit comes with anti inflammatory benefits as well as minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorus etc. which gives relieve from itchy skin as well as protect skin from sun damage. Furthermore, avocado also contains glutamine, vitamin C and copper that help in boosting collagen production in dry skin and make skin soft, supple as well as firm. Along with glutamine, avocados are source of alpha-carotene as well as beta carotene and these anti oxidants leads to healthy skin.
How to use avocado for dry skin care?
- Take one ripe avocado and cut it into half. Take out the pulp and mash it using a fork. Apply the mashed avocado all over the face and neck. Massage gently and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat every day to get rid of the dry skin quickly.
- Mash half of a ripe avocado. Add one and half cup of honey to it and mix together. Apply the paste on the face and neck, massaging gently. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse it off. Repeat this remedy for dry skin care once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of banana and avocado. All you have to do is to mash half of a ripe banana as well as half of a ripe avocado and mix them together. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face and neck, gently massaging in circular motion. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and after that wash off using fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Add a tsp plain, fresh yogurt to two tbsp mashed avocado. Mix both the ingredients together to form a paste. Apply on the face and neck, massaging gently with your finger tips. Allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat this dry skin care treatment thrice in a week.
3. Treat Dry Skin with Honey
Why to use honey for dry skin care?
Honey is another wonderful natural ingredient for our skin. Being a natural humectant, it works great for dry skin. Honey helps to draw moisture from the air and then locks it in the skin, thus keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. Also honey is loaded with multiple anti oxidants, such as – chrysin, pinobanksin, catalase, pinocembrin. Not only anti oxidants, but honey also has six vitamins in it, specially vitamin B and several minerals like, zinc, potassium and selenium, organic acids, specially gluconic acid as well as 18-20 amino acids. All these nutrients help in repairing and rejuvenating the dry skin and smoothen our skin texture.
Honey works wonderfully to treat premature aging as well. The anti oxidants present in honey reduce the oxidative stress on the skin cells as well as protect our skin from environmental damages, both of which can cause dry skin. The anti inflammatory properties of honey help in soothing dry skin. Topical application of honey reduces the itchiness and irritation of the skin that comes with excessive dryness. Furthermore, honey works as a mild exfoliator and removes the dead skin build up from the skin.
How to use Honey for dry skin care?
- Take 1-2 tbsp raw honey and apply it all over the face and neck. Massage gently with your fingertips. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with plain water. Repeat every day. This is one of the simplest but effective dry skin care treatment using raw honey. It not only moisturizes but also also deeply cleanses the skin.
- Alternatively, you can combine raw milk and honey in equal quantity. Apply the mixture on the face and neck and massage gently. Let it stay on your skin for 15-20 minutes. After that wash off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day for softer, smoother and glowing skin.
- Instead of raw milk, you can use milk cream if you have extra dry skin. Mix together a tbsp of milk cream and some honey to make a paste. Apply the face mask all over the face and neck and massage gently. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with plain water. Repeat every alternate day.
- Make a paste by mixing together a tbsp each of aloe vera gel and honey. Apply it on the face and neck, massaging gently with your fingertips. Wait for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
4. Use Banana to Combat Dry Skin
Why banana works for dry skin?
Banana is an amazing remedy for dry skin treatment. It is a rich source of potassium, a mineral, which is very effective in treating dry and dehydrated skin. Potassium can soften dry skin by providing moisturization and hydration. Along with potassium, banana also contains several other nutrients, such as Vitamin A, C, E, amino acids as well as B vitamins that work together to nourish the skin from within and prevent dry skin. Vitamin C in banana works as a powerful anti oxidant, which helps in increasing collagen production in the skin. Collagen is a special type of protein which helps in keeping the skin soft, supple and firm.
Vitamin E as well which is another important nutrient to get rid of skin dryness and banana comes with good amount of vitamin E as well. Vitamin E helps in retaining skin moisture as well as it offers anti oxidant benefits. It can prevent dryness of the skin caused by environmental factors as well as oxidative stress due to free radicals. Also banana works as a mild exfoliator and can remove the dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin. Banana contains zinc and lectin, both of which can kill bacteria that cause acne and pimples. So, if you have dry yet sensitive skin, you know what your skin needs.
How to use Banana for dry skin care?
- Take a ripe banana and mash it using a fork. Add a tbsp of multani mitti there as well as required amount of rose water to create a smooth paste. Spread it all over the face and neck and gently massage the skin with your fingertips. Keep the mask on for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week for best results.
- Alternatively, cut one ripe banana in to small slices and put them in the blender. Throw in four tbsp fresh yogurt and some honey as well. Blend all the ingredients together to make a thick paste. Apply an even layer of it all over the face and neck. Gently massage and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to rinse it off. Repeat once a week.
- Here is another way to use banana for dry skin treatment. Mash one ripe banana and add some milk cream to it. Mix both of them and apply this mixture all over the face and neck. Massage gently and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat once a week.
5. Coconut Oil for Dry Skin Care
Why to use coconut oil to treat dry skin?
Coconut oil is rich in vitamin E which is responsible for its amazing moisturizing benefits. Vitamin E helps in restoring moisture back to the skin as well as strengthen the connective tissues of the skin. Also, coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides which help to retain moisture in the skin, and prevent moisture loss through pores. Topical use of coconut oil helps in removing dead skin cells from the skin, thus preventing skin dryness. Being high in anti oxidants, coconut oil reduces oxidative stress from the skin cells while also protecting the skin from external factors, which can lead to skin dryness. The anti inflammatory benefits of coconut oil can soothe dry and irritated skin and give relief from flaky, rough skin. Coconut oil has the ability to penetrate deep in to the skin, which helps in adding moisture, smoothening out the skin and preventing dryness.
How to use coconut oil to get rid of dry skin?
- Take some coconut oil and rub in between your palms. Apply it all over the cleansed face and massage gently for few minutes. Keep it on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Wipe it off with a soft, damp towel. Repeat every alternate day.
- Mix together a tsp coconut oil with few drops of vitamin E oil. Apply the oil blend on the face and massage gently for few minutes. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, mix together few drops each of coconut oil and virgin olive oil. Massage it onto your face and neck for few minutes. Keep it on overnight and wash off the next morning. Repeat every night.
These were some of the easiest tips and remedies for dry skin care. Hope you found them helpful, stay tuned for more such articles.