Amazing Benefits of Using Coconut Oil for Skin Care – Coconut oil is a magic-elixir for our skin. It can solve a lot of skin care issues starting from acne to aging. In this article, we are going to share the wonderful benefits of using coconut oil for skin care. Coconut oil is a rich source of medium chain triglycerides, which are actually responsible for all the benefits that coconut oil offers for our skin as well as hair. These MCTs or medium chain triglycerides are very nourishing and they come with anti bacterial properties, which help significantly to resolve our skin problems. The best way to enjoy all the benefits of coconut oil using raw and virgin coconut oil. Lets find out why and how to use coconut oil for skin.
Check – 10 Different Ways to Use Coconut Oil to Cure Wrinkles
Using coconut oil is a great way to ensure that you are not exposing your skin to all the toxic ingredients found in drugstore products, also it is a cost-effective way to pamper your skin with a pure, natural ingredient. Lets find out the major benefits of coconut oil.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin
1. Coconut Oil for Cleansing
This oil is an ideal ingredient to deeply cleanse the skin. Our skin is one such part of the body which is most exposed to the environmental toxins, such as dirt, pollution, as well as chemicals present in makeup etc. These toxins penetrate deep into the skin pores and clog them.
Also, the dehydrating effect of air conditioners leave us with dry and flaky skin, and the pores can develop keratin caps that trap the sebum in the follicles.
When we use coconut oil on the skin, it can effectively soften the keratin caps and bring the sebum to the skin surface. The light texture makes it easy for coconut oil to seep into the pores and dissolve the impurities.
2. Anti Bacterial Benefits
Coconut oil offers anti bacterial benefits, thanks to the presence of lauric acid in it. Lauric acid is one of the MCTs which we found in coconut oil and as we have already discussed, these MCTs are so beneficial for our skin, hair as well as health.
Using coconut oil protects the skin from bacterial infections as well as potential pathogens. This is why, coconut oil is considered as a very effective natural remedy for acne.
Normally excess sebum production is what leads to blackheads and whiteheads. Whiteheads, can further lead to painful acne when affected by P.acne bacteria which normally reside in the hair follicles.
Using coconut oil on regular basis reduces the chances of acne and other infections by creating a protective anti bacterial shield on the skin.
3. Anti Aging Benefits
The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are a special type of fatty acids which are extremely nourishing for our skin. Lauric acid is one such fatty acid, which is found abundantly in coconut oil. It helps in repairing damaged skin as well as protect our skin from UV damage, which is one of the major causes of skin aging.
Coconut oil has anti oxidants properties, which can fight off the free radicals and prevent premature skin aging. Also it is an excellent moisturizer, which helps to heal dry skin and fades away wrinkles and fine lines.
The nutrients present in this oil such as vitamins A, E and other proteins help in boosting collagen production in the skin and maintain skin elasticity, thus preventing saggy skin. It also boosts cell regeneration and treat wrinkled skin effectively.
4. Protects Skin from Sunburn
Coconut oil comes with SPF4, which is certainly not enough to keep you safe during a full day out in the sun, but it definitely can reduce the harmful effects of solar radiation for a brief period.
Also applying coconut oil immediately after sun exposure can reduce the damage effectively. The emollient properties of this oil help in reducing the discomfort of extreme dry skin caused by sunburn. The nutrients in coconut oil nourish as well as moisturize the skin and thus accelerate the healing process.
Also the anti fungal and anti bacterial benefits of coconut oil prevent any fungal or bacterial infections. The UV rays of the sun trigger the formation of large number of free radicals, which damage our skin at the cellular level.
The anti oxidant properties of coconut oil help in preventing this damage. It has a soothing effect on the skin, which helps to reduce pain and inflammation caused by sun damage.
5. Coconut Oil for Skin Lightening
Coconut oil is non comedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores and cause breakouts. We have already discussed how coconut oil helps in fighting off acne. Not only acne, but it is equally effective to lighten acne scars and other dark spots, age spots, etc.
Topical application of coconut oil stops oxidation process and helps in lightening scars and marks. The anti oxidants as well as other nutrients in coconut oil encourage the growth of new cells and thus help to clear up skin.
This oil also helps in boosting collagen production and improves skin’s natural elasticity as well as keep the skin smooth, taut and free from scars.
Coconut oil is extremely effective in lightening stretch marks as well. The monosaturated fatty acids found in coconut oil help in eliminating stretch marks by strengthening the cells. It contains vitamin E, which has anti oxidant benefits and it helps in healing the stretch marks and scars.
Coconut oil is a good source of vitamin K and iron, both of which promote new cell production and replace the damaged cells, thus lightening stretch marks effectively.
6. Moisturizing Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin
The medium chain fatty acids in this oil help to retain moisture content in the skin. It is a rich source of vitamin E, which help in restoring moisture back to the skin and also strengthens the connective tissues of the skin.
The oil is rich in protein, which also helps to keep the skin nourished and healthy. We know that dry skin is more prone to infections. Coconut oil, being anti fungal and anti inflammatory in nature, helps to prevent any skin infections.
Coconut oil is extremely effective in treating Psoriasis and Eczema. The outer skin cells contain fatty acids, which are similar to the ones found in virgin coconut oil. This is why our skin can easily absorb this oil. The deep penetrating properties of coconut oil adds moisture to the skin, smoothens out the skin and prevents the skin from getting excessively dry.
The anti inflammatory benefits of coconut oil along with its anti septic, anti oxidant, as well as anti microbial properties help in treating bacterial, viral or fungal infections.
7. Cures Chapped Lips
Coconut oil helps in curing chapped lips. Its emollient nature helps in preventing moisture loss from the lips. The minerals present in coconut oil add moisture to dry lips and make them soft and supple once again.
Vitamin E present in coconut oil fights off free radicals that can also cause dry and chapped lips. The natural sun protection benefits of coconut oil protect the lips from sun damage.
The medium chain fatty acids present in coconut oil strengthen the lipid layer of the skin and help in preventing moisture loss. Coconut oil offers anti bacterial as well as anti fungal benefits, which prevent bacterial infection on the cracks of the lips.
8. Nourishes the Under Eye Area
The amazing moisturizing benefits of coconut oil help in reducing wrinkles and dryness around our eyes. It is rich in vitamin E, which has anti oxidant benefits. Vitamin E helps in reducing oxidative stress from the skin cells and keep the under eye skin healthy and supple.
The nutrients present in coconut oil boost collagen production and encourage new cell growth. Coconut oil comes with anti inflammatory benefits, which help in reducing the swelling and puffiness under the eyes. The deep penetrating ability of coconut oil helps in skin rejuvenation.
9. Nail Care Benefits of Coconut Oil
The moisturizing action of coconut oil helps in softening the nails and cuticles. Along with this, coconut oil comes with anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory properties, which further strengthen the nails and prevent infections.
Coconut oil contains 8% caprylic acid, which is a medium chain fatty acid and it comes with anti fungal properties. This is why coconut oil is regarded as a great natural remedy to treat nail fungus.
10. Cures Athlete’s Foot
Coconut oil is a rich source of medium chain fatty acids. These special type of fatty acids are extremely nourishing and they come with anti bacterial benefits, which help significantly dealing with bacterial or fungal infections, such as Athlete’s Foot.
Furthermore the anti inflammatory properties of this oil help in soothing irritated and affected part of the skin.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Skin Care
1. Simple Coconut Oil Massage
Every night before going to bed, take some coconut oil on your palm and massage it all over the face, neck, other dry parts of your body including the lips.
Let the oil gets absorbed and leave it on overnight. Wash off next morning. This is a great use of coconut oil to reduce dryness, premature aging as well as lightening marks.
2. Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Add a few drops of coconut oil to 1-2 tsp of baking soda and make a paste. Apply it on the skin and massage for a couple of minutes.
Keep it on the skin for another 5-8 minutes and wash off. Repeat twice in a week. This works as a great skin cleanser. It helps in fighting off acne as well as maintain the pH balance of the skin.
3. Almond Oil and Coconut Oil
This is one of the great way to use coconut oil under the eyes. Mix almond oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Gently massage it into the under eye skin and leave it on overnight. Wash off next morning.
Regular use will lighten the dark circles soon.
4. Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil
This remedy will work for acne as well as nail fungus. Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to a tsp coconut oil. Mix together and apply the mixture on the affected parts of the skin and massage gently so that the skin absorbs it all. Repeat couple of times everyday.
5. Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera
Using the combination of aloe vera and coconut oil resolves a number of concerns, such as eczema, psoriasis, athlete’s foot as well as works as an excellent natural moisturizer.
Mix together half a cup of virgin coconut oil and 1/3rd cup of pure and fresh aloe vera gel. Using a hand blender, whisk both the ingredients to get a fluffy, creamy mixture.
Transfer it to an air tight container and store it in the refrigerator to maintain its creamy consistency. Every night, before going to bed, take out a little amount and apply it on the affected parts of the skin.
Massage until the skin absorbs the goodness. Leave it on the skin overnight and wash off the next morning.
6. DIY Remedies with Coconut Oil for Face Cleansing
Take two tbsp of almond flour in a bowl and add enough amount of coconut oil and some milk to it. Mix together and prepare a thick paste. Apply it all over the face by massaging the skin gently in circular motion.
Soak a face towel in warm water and place it on the face. Leave it like this for 10-15 minutes and then, use the same towel to wipe off the face mask.
First wash the face with luke warm water, followed by few cold water splashes. Do this twice in a week for deep cleansing the skin. If you have normal skin, you can use oatmeal powder in place of almond flour.
For the oily skin people, here is a great way to use coconut oil for face cleansing. Simply mix together some rice flour or oatmeal powder and enough amount of coconut oil to make a paste. Add few drops of lemon juice or lemon oil. Apply it all over the face and massage gently. Cover the face with wet, warm towel for 10-15 minutes. Later on, wash the face with a mild soap and water.
7. Coconut Oil Remedies to Cure Wrinkles
We have already discussed that coconut oil offers amazing anti aging benefits. It works wonderfully to smoothen the wrinkles and restore the natural elasticity of the skin. Lets find out how to use coconut oil for reducing wrinkles on the face.
- First, dilute a tbsp of apple cider vinegar in same amount of water and apply it on the face with a cotton ball. Wait till it gets dry completely and then, massage some coconut oil into the face with your finger tips. Keep on massaging until it gets absorbed by the skin. Leave it on the skin overnight. Wash off the next morning. Repeat this everyday to get rid of the wrinkles fast.
- Take a tbsp coffee powder and prepare a paste by adding enough amount of coconut oil to it. Apply this paste on the face and neck and massage gently in circular motion. Allow it to stay on the skin for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with cold water and repeat this amazing remedy with 2-3 times in a week.
- Put half of a cup of chopped pineapple in a blender and prepare pineapple pulp. Add 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil and 1 tbsp raw honey to the pineapple pulp and mix the ingredients together. Apply the mixture on the face and neck, gently massaging in circular motion. Leave it on the skin for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water, followed by few cold water splashes. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
8. Sandalwood Powder and Coconut Oil for Treating Sunburn
Mix together 3-4 tsp sandalwood powder, two tsp almond oil and some coconut oil. Prepare a paste and apply this on the sunburn affected parts of the skin. Gently massage and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat regularly to get rid of sunburn quickly.
9. Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks Treatment
We have discussed previously that coconut oil is extremely effective in treating stretch marks. Here we will share how you can use coconut oil for stretch marks treatment.
- Prepare an oil blend by mixing together coconut oil and castor oil in 1:1 ratio. Massage it into the skin where you have got stretch marks. Leave it on the skin so that it gets absorbed. Repeat daily.
- Mix together two tbsp each of powdered sugar and salt. Add required amount of coconut oil and blend all the ingredients to prepare a paste. Apply it on the skin and rub gently for 4-5 minutes. Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat daily for best results.
- Combine equal amounts of coconut oil and olive oil and massage the oil blend on the stretch marks. Let the skin absorb it completely. Repeat everyday to get rid of stretch marks.
10. Coconut Oil and Turmeric Powder
Make a smooth paste by mixing some turmeric powder and required amount of coconut oil. Apply this paste on the face and massage a little. Let it sit on the skin for about 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week. This remedy with works wonder to get rid of acne, acne scars, stretch marks etc. It also helps to get rid of any skin infections.
11. DIY Lip Scrub with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps a lot to get rid of chapped lips. You can whip up a lip scrub easily at home using coconut oil and a couple of other ingredients.
- Take two tbsp brown sugar and to this, add a tbsp each of coconut oil and honey. Also add few drops of lemon juice and mix together. Apply on the lips and gently massage in circular motion. Leave it on for another couple of minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week to get back your soft and supple skin.
- Alternatively, prepare your DIY lip scrub by mixing some solid coconut oil and sea salt. Apply it on the lips, gently massaging in circular motion. Keep it on the lips for next 2-3 minutes. Wash it off with plain water and reapply once in every 2-3 days.
12. Coconut Oil to Cure Toenail Fungus
We have already shared how coconut oil helps in treating toenail fungus. Find out below how you can use coconut oil to cure toenail fungus.
- Combine together some coconut oil and tea tree oil. Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on. Repeat 2-3 times in a day until the condition improves.
- Take two tbsp of virgin coconut oil and add few drops of cinnamon oil to that. Apply this oil blend on the infected part of the toe nail. Wait till it gets absorbed into the skin. Repeat this process once daily.
This was a brief discussion on the benefits of coconut oil for skin and how we can use it for the same in combination with other ingredients. Hope you liked this article. Stay tuned for more such articles in the future 🙂