15 Incredible Benefits of Tomatoes for Skin, Hair and Health – Tomatoes are must in most Indian food preparations. It adds color and flavor to the food. Though a fruit, but we treat tomatoes as a vegetable. It comes with a number of nutritional benefits for us, and in this article, we will share some of the must-know benefits of tomatoes for our skin, hair and health. Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene- an anti oxidant compound and it has been linked with many health benefits. Along with lycopene, tomatoes also contain vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium, Folate etc. Some of the most notable benefits of tomatoes include reduced risk of heart diseases, cancers, improved digestion, detoxifying the body, better skin, etc, Keep on reading to find out the amazing benefits of tomatoes for our health and beauty.
Check – How to do Tomato Facial to Get Fair Skin
Before we start talking about the impressive benefits of tomatoes, let us check out few quick facts about the same below.
Quick Facts about Tomatoes
Native to South America, tomatoes are known as Solanum lycopersium scientifically. Though it is treated as a vegetable, but technically tomato is fruit and it is the berry of a plant from nightshade family. It grows in clusters. The size can vary from small to medium. Matured tomatoes are red in color, but green, orange, yellow tomatoes can also be found. The flesh inside is soft, juicy and normally comes in pinkish red color.
Nutritional Value of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are about 95% water, and the other 5% contains carbohydrates and fiber. It is low in calorie, a medium sized tomato (about 123 gm) contains only 22 calories. Talking about the carbohydrate part, raw tomatoes are low in carbs. It amounts less than 5% of carbs found in a medium sized (123 gm) tomato. However, tomatoes are a rich source of fibers. Most of the fibers found in tomatoes are insoluble, and they come in the form of hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin.
Also, tomatoes contain several vitamins and minerals. It is particularly high in vitamin C and a medium sized tomato can provide up to 28% of our daily requirement of vitamin C. It also contains some amount of vitamin K1, B9, potassium etc.
Talking about the plant compounds that we found in tomatoes, lycopene in tomato is responsible for its red color, and it is anti oxidant in nature which is known for various health benefits. Tomatoes also contain beta carotene, which gets converted into vitamin A in the body.
A 100 gm of tomato contains –
- Calories – 18
- Water – 95 %
- Protein – 0.9 g
- Carbs – 3.9 g
- Sugar – 2.6 g
- Fiber – 1.2 g
- Fat – 0.2 g
- Saturated – 0.03 g
- Monounsaturated – 0.03 g
- Polyunsaturated – 0.08 g
- Omega-3 – 0 g
- Omega-6 – 0.08 g
- Trans fat ~ 0
I hope you loved knowing about these quick facts about tomato, now lets get started with the benefits of tomatoes for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Tomatoes for Skin
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are excellent to treat acne and pimples. They are a source of natural salicylic acid, which helps in exfoliating the skin and thus preventing clogged pores. Also, salicylic acid helps in restoring the pH balance of the skin and thus, keeping it healthy and less prone to acne and other skin infections. Tomato juice is a natural astringent. It helps in controlling oil secretion from the sebaceous glands and thus, reduces chances of clogged pores as well as acne. Being astringent in nature, tomato juice also helps to dry out pimples and acne when used directly on the skin. Also the anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of tomato juice make it a great remedy for acne.
Furthermore, the anti inflammatory benefits of tomatoes help to reduce the redness and irritation of the skin caused by acne. Tomato contains a compound known as ‘lycopene’, which comes with anti oxidant benefits. It helps in boosting the growth and production of newer, healthy cells and thus help with acne treatment. Also the nutrients present in tomato help to treat acne as well as reduce the chance of scarring.
How to use tomatoes for acne treatment?
- Blend few small tomato cubes and prepare tomato puree. Apply all over the face and massage a little. Let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and a mild facial cleanser. Repeat daily.
- Mix together two tbsp multani mitti, a tsp neem powder and some tomato juice as well as rose water. Prepare a paste and apply it on the face. Wait until it gets dry. Wash off with cool water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Make a paste by adding a tsp turmeric powder to some fresh tomato juice. Apply that on the face and wait for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off with fresh water. Repeat every alternate day to get rid of acne fast.
2. Skin Brightening Benefits of Tomatoes
This is one of the best benefits of tomatoes for skin. Tomatoes contain several vitamins, like vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C etc. which help in repairing dull and damaged skin. Vitamin A helps to fade away dark spots and blemishes, thus clearing up the skin. Vitamin B boosts new cell production and helps you to get fresh and glowing skin, while vitamin C is beneficial to keep the skin firm, smooth and supple, thanks to its collagen boosting property. Tomatoes come with a number of minerals as well. It contains calcium which heals dry and flaky skin, potassium which moisturizes the skin as well as magnesium which helps to get naturally glowing skin.
The anti oxidant benefits of tomatoes, along with its anti-tyrosinage activity, help to get bright and glowing complexion. The acidic nature of tomato plays a vital role in restoring the pH balance of the skin, which is essential to keep the skin from being too dry or too oily. Excessive oiliness as well as dryness, both can make our skin look dark and patchy. Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, which helps in exfoliating the skin and unveil the healthy and bright new skin underneath.
How to use tomato for skin brightening?
- Blend few fresh tomato cubes and prepare tomato pulp. Add some lemon juice as well as a tsp of sandalwood powder to it and mix together. Make a smooth paste and apply it all over the face. Massage a little and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Put few fresh tomato cubes as well as cucumber cubes in a blender. Blend together to prepare a smooth paste. Apply it all over the face. Massage gently and leave it on the skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times every week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a DIY skin brightening face pack by mixing two tbsp aloe vera gel, a tsp each of honey as well as tomato juice. Apply it all over the face and gently massage in circular motion. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash off using fresh water. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice in a week.
3. Anti Aging Benefits of Tomatoes
The anti aging benefits of tomatoes work great for our skin. It is high in vitamin C, which is particularly beneficial to prevent signs of premature aging on the skin. It helps in boosting collagen production in the skin, which helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin and keeps the skin smooth, supple as well as taut. This way vitamin C protects our skin from premature aging signs like wrinkles, lines and also saggy skin. Vitamin B in tomato boosts new cell production and helps you to get youthful and glowing skin. Tomatoes come with lycopene, a powerful anti oxidant, which help in reducing oxidative stress from the skin cells and prevent premature skin aging.
Along with the vitamins as well as anti oxidants, tomatoes contain several minerals as well. We know that dry skin is more prone to premature aging. The minerals present in tomato help in healing dry skin effectively and keep aging signs at bay.
How to use tomato for anti aging?
- Grate one small tomato and extract the juice. Mix together a tsp of virgin olive oil as well as the tomato juice. Apply this mixture on the face and neck. Massage gently with fingertips and keep it on for another 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat twice in a week.
- Grate a medium sized tomato and collect the tomato pulp in a bowl. Add a tsp each of oatmeal powder as well as honey to it. Mix the three ingredients and apply the paste on the face and neck. Massage gently for couple of minutes and leave it on the skin for another 15-20 minutes before washing off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Cut one tomato in small cubes. In a blender, put those tomato cubes along with the one mashed avocado. Blend together and apply the mixture on the face and neck. Massage gently and keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off. Repeat twice in a week.
4. Use Tomato to Treat Oily Skin
Tomato is a great natural ingredient to be used on oily skin. The natural astringent benefits of tomatoes help in controlling oil secretion by the sebaceous glands. This way it helps in keeping the skin oil free. Also the astringent nature of tomato juice makes it a great natural remedy to treat open pores. Oily skin is more prone to acne and pimples. Tomato is a natural source of salicylic acid, which helps with acne treatment. It exfoliates the skin, removes dirt and toxins as well as excess oil and dead skin cells from the pores and unclog them, thus minimizing breakouts. The acidic benefits of tomatoes help in restoring the pH balance of the skin and prevent it from getting too oily.
How to use tomato for oily skin care?
- Prepare a face pack by mixing together one tbsp multani mitti and some fresh tomato juice. Apply it all over the face. Let it dry naturally. Wash it off with cold water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Combine one tbsp baking soda, some tomato juice and a few drops of water. Apply this on the face and massage gently. Keep it on the skin for another 8-10 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Alternatively, Add juice of one tomato to a tsp of besan as well as a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredients together and prepare a paste. Apply it all over the face and massage gently for couple of minutes. Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
5. Keep Dark Circles at Bay
Here comes another wonderful beauty benefits of tomatoes. The skin brightening properties of tomato help in reducing the darkness under the eyes due to pigmentation. Tomatoes are anti oxidant in nature. This anti oxidant benefits of tomatoes help in treating dark circles under the eyes. The high amount of vitamin C also aids in dark circles removal. Vitamin A present in tomatoes is beneficial in rejuvenating dull and damaged skin, while vitamin B boosts cell renewal and help in lightening the dark circles. Along with these vitamins, the minerals present in tomatoes make it a great solution to treat dark circles. Furthermore, the moisturizing benefits of tomatoes help in keeping the under eye area soft, supple as well as reduce dark circles.
How to use tomatoes to treat dark circles?
- Cut two slices of a tomato and place them on both the eyes in such a way that it covers the dark circles. Massage gently for couple of minutes and wait till it gets dry. Repeat daily.
- Combine one tsp each of lemon juice and tomato juice. Apply this on the dark circles with a cotton ball and wait for 10 minutes. Rinse off and repeat twice in a day.
- Grate one potato and extract the juice. Mix together potato juice and tomato juice in 1:1 ratio. Apply this on the dark circles and wait til it gets completely dry. Wash off with plain water and repeat daily.
Benefits of Tomatoes for Hair
6. Treat Dandruff Prone Itchy Scalp
If you are troubled with dandruff and itchy scalp, try tomatoes. Tomatoes, being rich in Vitamin C, help to get rid of dandruff effectively. Vitamin C in tomatoes help in boosting collagen production in the skin which play a big role in keeping the scalp healthy as well as nourished. The nutrients as well as anti oxidant benefits of tomatoes nourish the scalp and treat dandruff and itchiness wonderfully. In fact, tomatoes can help to treat smell scalp as well. The astringent quality of tomato juice helps to absorb the unpleasant odor from the scalp.
Prepare tomato pulp by blending fresh tomato cubes. Add juice of a lemon to that and mix together. Apply this on the scalp and massage gently. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes before washing off with a mild cleanser. Repeat at least once in a week.
7. Combats Hair Loss
Lack of nutrients, free radical activities as well as dandruff, anything can cause hair fall. Tomatoes help in combating hair fall by taking things under control successfully. Firstly, it is full of vitamins as well as minerals, which add a boost of nourishment to the hair follicles and rejuvenate them to stop hair fall and induce new hair growth. It contains lycopene which comes with significant anti oxidant properties and it helps to neutralize the free radicals, thus treating hair fall caused by free radicals. And, we have already discussed how tomatoes help with dandruff removal, hence if your hair fall is caused by dandruff, tomatoes can treat that successfully as well.
8. Hair Conditioning Benefits of Tomatoes
Tomatoes can work as a great natural hair conditioner. It contains several nutrients which are extremely beneficial to put life back to your dull, lack-lustre tresses and make them smooth as well as shiny. All you need to do is to add some tomato pulp to your regular hair oil and massage your scalp and hair with the mixture. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week for soft, glossy hair.
These were some of the amazing tomato benefits for skin as well as hair. Let us now check out what are the benefits of tomato for our health.
Health Benefits of Tomato
9. Boost Immunity
This is one of the best health benefits of tomatoes. Regular consumption of tomato has been found extremely beneficial in avoiding common cold and influenza, specially among males. Low amounts of beta carotene as well as lycopene are one of the main reasons behind these commonly occurring diseases. Tomatoes contain a good amount of lycopene as well as beta carotene, which help together to combat these common ailments. Also, tomatoes are a rich source of vitamin C, which is known as an ‘immunity booster’.
10. Cancer Prevention
Tomatoes are anti carcinogenic in nature, which means they are beneficial in preventing cancer. Studies have found that tomatoes as well as tomato products have positive effects in treating stomach, lung as well as prostate cancers. It is believed that the high level of lycopene is responsible for this benefits of tomatoes. Another study conducted on women has found that high amount of carotenoids is beneficial in preventing breast cancer. Tomatoes, as we have already discussed, are a rich source of beta carotene.
11. Can Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
Tomatoes are highly effective in preventing urinary tract infections. It has been found that regular intake of tomatoes are beneficial in reducing the incidence of urinary tract infections as well as bladder cancer. The main reason that tomatoes work effectively in preventing urinary tract infections is that it is high in water content, which helps in promoting urination. Better urination means better and increased removal of toxins from the body as well as excess water, uric acid, salt etc.
12. Lowering Cholesterol Level
Tomatoes are known to lower cholesterol level in our body. Firstly, tomatoes itself contain no cholesterol, hence when consumed, they do not add any cholesterol. Also, tomatoes are high in fiber, as we have discussed already. Foods that are high in fiber have been found beneficial in lowering cholesterol level. Tomatoes also contain niacin or vitamin B3, which is known for its cholesterol lowering benefits since many years.
13. Lowering Hypertension
Tomatoes have been found extremely beneficial to lower hypertension, also known as high blood pressure. It has been found that consuming a tomato per day has positive effects on reducing the risk of developing hypertension. This tomato benefit can be attributed to the presence of potassium. Potassium helps in improving blood circulation throughout the body. It helps in releasing tension in blood vessels as well as arteries and thus, reduce the stress on the heart.
14. Controls Blood Sugar Levels
Here comes the reason why tomatoes are considered good for diabetes patients. Tomatoes contain a mineral known as ‘chromium’. Many of us are not aware of this fact, but chromium helps significantly to control our blood sugar levels, and this is why, people with diabetes are often suggested to include this fruit or vegetable, whatever you prefer to call it, to their daily diet. In fact, a study conducted by the journal of American Medical Association has established that daily consumption of tomatoes is extremely beneficial for those with type 2 diabetes.
15. Aids in Digestion
This is one of the most important tomato benefits for health. Tomatoes help in boosting our digestive health by preventing constipation as well as diarrhea. We have already discussed that tomatoes are rich in fiber which helps in giving relief from constipation. A good amount of fiber also helps to release digestive and gastric juices, thus improving the digestion. In fact, by improving our digestive health, tomatoes keep us protected from colorectal cancer. Tomatoes can release toxins from our body effectively and prevent jaundice as well.
These were 15 important benefits of tomatoes for our skin, hair as well as health. What do you think about this article? Let us know below in the comments.