14 Must Know Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin, Hair and Health – Essential oils have been dominating the health care and beauty markets across the globe since past few years. And one of them is tea tree oil, which is probably the most popular essential oil. We will be sharing the benefits of Tea Tree Oil for skin, hair and health here in this article. Tea tree oil is native to Australia, the oil comes from the leaves of tea tree, which is mostly found in Queensland and New South Wales. One of the major reasons why tea tree oil is so popular throughout the globe is because of its anti septic and anti bacterial properties. Keep on reading to know about the uses and benefits of Tea Tree Oil for skin, hair and health.
Check – Is Tea Tree Oil Helpful In Treating Pimples
Let us tell you about the history and some of the interesting facts about tea tree oil, before we go on talking about the wonderful benefits of tea tree oil for health and beauty.
Tea Tree Oil History
Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Southeast Queensland and Northeast coast of New South Wales in Australia. It is known for its fresh, camphor-like smell. The color can range from pale yellow to almost colorless and clear. The name ‘tea tree’ was generated by Captain James Cook, who is believed to use one of these shrubs to make an infusion to drink in place of tea. However, later in 1920s, commercial tea tree oil industry started when Arther Penfold, an Australian, started investigating the business potential of several native extracted oils.
Check – 6 Common Hair Oiling Mistakes We All Make
Facts about Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil’s key active ingredients include terpene hydrocarbons, monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes, which are responsible for the anti bacterial, anti viral and also anti fungal benefits of tea tree oil. It also contains terpinen-4-ol, a compound which not only can kill bacteria and fungi, but also can boost the activity of white blood cells to fight against germs and thus, helps in keeping us healthy.
- Tea tree oil can be poisonous, when taken internally. It can cause drowsiness, hallucinations, unsteadiness, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset as well as rashes on the skin.
- Tea tree oil has volatile hydrocarbons in it, which are aromatic and can travel through air, pores of the skin and mucus membranes. This is why, tea tree oil is widely used aromatically to kill germs and bacteria.
Must Know Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
These were few important facts about tea tree oil. Lets now move on to the main part, i.e. the various uses and benefits of Tea Tree Oil for our beauty and health.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin
We will be starting with the benefits of Tea Tree Oil for our skin. Find out below what are they –
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
This is one of the most popular beauty benefits of tea tree oil. It has anti septic and anti bacterial properties which can destroy the acne causing bacteria. The anti inflammatory benefits of Tea Tree Oil help to soothe the pain and redness caused by acne. Certain studies have also revealed that tea tree oil can be as effective as benzoyl peroxide when it comes to treating acne and pimples.
How to use tea tree oil to treat acne
- The easiest way is to apply the tea tree oil on the acne with the help of a cotton swab. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes on the skin and wash off. Repeat daily.
- Combine 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and a tsp of coconut oil. Apply this mixture directly on the acne and pimples and let it sit on the skin for as long as you want. Wash off with luke warm water. One should repeat this twice daily.
- Here is another simple but effective way to use the benefits of tea tree oil to treat acne. Mix together a tbsp each of honey and yogurt and then add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil in it. Mix together and apply it all over the face. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then, wash off with fresh water.
- Combine some aloe vera gel and few drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture on the acne and pimples and wait till it gets dry. Wash off.
- Make some green tea and let it reach room temperature. Transfer the tea in a clean glass bottle and add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. Close the bottle and then shake well to mix the ingredients. Pour a few drops of this mixture on a cotton pad and then apply that on the acne and pimples. Allow it to dry naturally. Do not wash off. Repeat regularly.
2. Treat Dry Skin with Tea Tree Oil
As much as tea tree oil is effective in treating acne and pimples, it can be used to take care of dry skin as well. Here’s how –
How to use tea tree oil for dry skin
Add few drops of tea tree oil to a tbsp of olive oil or almond oil. Massage the oil blend on your face gently. Wait for some time and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat regularly to get soft, hydrated and glowing skin.
3. Use as Makeup Remover
If you have sensitive skin and you are allergic towards market bought makeup removers, then easily you can make your DIY makeup remover at home using tea tree oil.
How to use tea tree as makeup remover
- Add 10-12 drops of tea tree oil to a quarter of a cup of canola oil. Mix together and then transfer it to a clean glass bottle. Keep it in a cool and dark place. Pour few drops of the mixture on a cotton ball and use that to remove your makeup.
- Mix together a tsp of coconut oil or almond oil and few drops of tea tree oil. Use this oil blend as your DIY makeup remover.
4. Treat Acne Scars with Tea Tree Oil
We have already discussed how you can treat acne with tea tree oil. But not only treating acne, you can use tea tree oil to get rid of acne scars as well. This is one of the wonderful tea tree oil benefits for skin.
Check – 10 Most Effective Home Remedies for Head Lice That Really Work
How to use tea tree oil to get clear skin
- Add two tsp lemon juice to 4-5 drops of tea tree oil and mix well. Apply the mixture on the acne and acne scars. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Regular application will help to eliminate acne as well as acne scars.
- Blend a tomato and add 4-5 drops of tea tree oil and a tsp of jojoba oil to the mashed tomato. Mix together and apply it all over the face. Furthermore, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Repeat regularly to get rid of acne scars as well as sun tan.
5. Nail Care with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree has amazing anti fungal properties, which is why it is considered as a great home remedy to treat nail fungus. Tea tree oil can also be used to soften cuticles and keep the nails healthy.
How to use tea tree oil for nail care
- For healthy nails – Combine 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil and one tbsp each of jojoba oil and avocado oil. Transfer this oil blend to a glass bottle and shake well. Massage your nail and cuticles with few drops of this oil blend daily to soften your cuticles and get healthy nails.
- To treat nail fungus – Apply tea tree oil directly to the affected nail with a cotton swab. Let it sit there for as long as you can. Do not wash off. Repeat twice daily.
6. Treats Athlete’s Foot
Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection on the feet, which can be really hard to control. It can spread to the toe nails and hands as well. It can also lead to peeling of the skin along with cracking, redness and blisters on the skin. Tea tree oil has anti fungal benefits, which makes it an effective treatment for athlete’s foot. It helps in giving relief from scaling, inflammation, itching as well as burning sensations caused by athlete’s foot.
How to treat athlete’s foot with tea tree oil
Mix together a quarter of a cup of each arrowroot powder and baking soda. Add 20-25 drops of tea tree oil to that. Mix well once again and transfer it in a closed container. Use it on clean, dry feet twice in a day.
7. Gives Relief from Various Skin Conditions
- Treats Psoriasis – Psoriasis can result in red, itchy and scaly skin. The anti inflammatory benefits of tea tree oil helps in getting rid of Psoriasis. Applying a mixture of two tbsp coconut oil and 10-15 drops of tea tree oil on the affected part daily twice or thrice helps in treating the condition.
- Fights Eczema – Tea tree oil is also very effective in getting rid of Eczema. You need to mix a tsp coconut oil with 5 drops each of tea tree and lavender oil. Apply this oil blend on the affected area daily before taking shower.
- Works as Anti Septic – Tea tree oil has anti septic properties, which can be used to treat and disinfect minor cuts and injuries. It kills the bacteria that can cause infection in open wounds.
- Treats Razor Burn – Tea tree oil has great healing properties for our skin. It is a great remedy to treat razor burn. Simply apply few drops of tea tree oil on the affected parts of the skin after shaving, with the help of a cotton ball. This will help in faster healing of the skin.
- Cures Ringworm – The anti fungal benefits of tea tree oil also helps in giving relief from ringworm. Clean and dry the affected area first. With the help of a cotton swab, apply few drops of tea tree oil on the affected skin. Do not wash off and repeat the application thrice in a day.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Hair
After discussing the tea tree oil benefits for skin, lets now check out what are the benefits of tea tree oil for hair.
8. Gives Relief from Dandruff
Tea tree oil comes with strong anti fungal properties, which help in removing dandruff. Also, it has anti inflammatory properties and a higher rate of dermal penetration. Tea tree oil also works as a wonderful anti septic as well. No wonder, it works miraculously in getting rid of dandruff.
How to treat dandruff with tea tree oil
- Add few drops of tea tree oil as well as some water to your regular anti dandruff shampoo. Mix together and then use the mixture to wash off your hair. Repeat regularly to cure dandruff.
- Alternatively, mix together few drops of tea tree oil and some olive oil or coconut oil. Massage this all over the scalp and hair. Let it sit on the hair for 40-45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this remedy twice in a week.
9. Treats Head Lice
This is one of the best benefits of tea tree oil for hair. Tea tree oil comes with natural insecticidal as well as ovicidal effects, which means it can kill the lice as well as the nits. Researches have confirmed that 1% tea tree oil solution can actually kill 100% head lice within 30 minutes. Tea tree oil also contains two major components, known as 1,8-cineole and terpinen-4-ol, which are responsible for the natural insecticidal benefits of tea tree oil.
How to use tea tree oil to get rid of head lice
- Apply few drops of tea tree oil on the scalp and hair and massage gently. Keep it on overnight. The next morning, comb the hair using a fine nit comb and remove the lice and also the nits.
- To your regular shampoo, add a tsp tea tree oil and three tbsp coconut oil or olive oil. Mix together, and then apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp and hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 30-35 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Comb through your wet hair with a nit comb and then remove the dead lice along with the nits.
- Mix together 6-7 drops of tea tree oil as well as some coconut oil. Apply this on the scalp and then massage thoroughly. Keep it on for an hour. Wash off with mild shampoo and follow up with a conditioner.
- Mix together 1-2 tbsp coconut oil, few drops each of tea tree oil and neem oil. Massage your hair and scalp with this mixture. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
10. Maintains Healthy Scalp and Hair
Tea tree oil has amazing healing properties for our scalp and hair, thanks to its anti bacterial and anti fungal components. Sometimes, bacterial or fungal infections on our scalp can cause dry, itchy scalp along with severe hair loss problem. Instead of exposing your hair and scalp to strong chemicals, take help of the natural therapeutic properties of tea tree oil and also get rid of your scalp and hair issues.
How to use tea tree oil for healthy scalp and hair
- The easiest way to use tea tree oil for hair and scalp care is by mixing few drops of the oil with your regular shampoo. Then wash your hair as usual. This will make your hair and scalp feel fresh and clean.
- For Hair Fall – Add few drops of tea tree oil to any carrier oil (coconut or olive oil). Mix together and then apply this on the hair and scalp. Massage gently and then wait for an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly to control hair fall effectively.
- To Soothe Itchy Scalp – If you are troubled with dry and itchy scalp, here is the best remedy for you using the benefits of tea tree oil. Mash one ripe avocado and then keep it aside. Add 10 drops of argan oil, two tbsp honey and few drop of tea tree oil to a cup of of fresh yogurt. Add the mashed avocado as well. Mix all the ingredients together and then apply that on the scalp. Massage and allow it to sit on the scalp for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly to treat dry, itchy scalp.
- To Fight Hair Loss –Whisk 2-3 egg whites in a bowl and add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil along with one tbsp argan oil. Mix them well and then apply the mask on the scalp and hair. Wait for 30-40 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week to arrest hair loss.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Health
So far we have discussed various benefits of tea tree oil for skin and hair. Now we are going to talk about the best benefits of tea tree oil for health.
11. Improves Bad Breath
Normally bad breath is caused by bacteria present inside our mouth. Tea tree oil comes with natural anti bacterial properties, which is why it is considered as an effective remedy to get rid of bad breath.
How to use tea tree oil to treat bad breath
- Take a cup of water and then add couple of drops of tea tree oil there. Stir well and use this as your DIY mouth wash. Use this to rinse your mouth. Since tea tree oil is harmful to be taken internally, so make sure you spit it out and also thoroughly rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Alternatively, you can add a drop of tea tree oil to your toothpaste before brushing your teeth. Moreover, it will help in preventing fungal and bacterial infections in our mouth.
12. Gives Relief from Ear Pain
Next comes this one on our list of best benefits of tea tree oil for our health. Ear pain can get unbearable at times. Ear pain can be caused by some bacterial infection or due to fluid build up inside the ear. Tea tree oil is a very effective remedy for ear pain, thanks to its anti bacterial as well as astringent properties. While the astringent properties of tea tree oil can dry out the fluid, its anti bacterial properties can kill the bacteria.
How to use tea tree oil to get relief from ear pain
Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to a tsp of slightly warm olive oil. Lie on your side, and put the mixture in your ears, drop by drop. Maximum 6-8 drops would be great. Wait for 10 minutes in the same position, and then, drain out the oil. Repeat the entire process once daily to get rid of the pain and heal the condition.
13. Cure Sore Throat with Tea Tree Oil
Here comes another amazing tea tree oil benefits for health. It can cure sore throat very effectively. Sore throat can be caused by bacterial infection. This situation is really painful, and if not treated on time, it can lead to sinus congestion, cold as well as flu. Tea tree oil also has anti inflammatory properties which come very handy to give relief from the pain caused by sore throat. Also, the anti bacterial properties of tea tree oil can kill the virus or bacteria and prevent from the situation to get worse.
Check – Top 14 Green Tea Face Packs for All Skin Types
How to cure sore throat with tea tree oil
Take hot water in a big container and add few drops of tea tree oil there. Bend over it and then cover your head as well as the container with a dry towel in such a way so that the steam doesn’t evaporate. Breathe in that steam for 8-10 minutes. Do this at least once daily for effective results.
14. Gets Rid of Vaginal Odor
Vaginal odor can be caused due to bacterial infection. Tea tree oil, being a natural antibiotic, helps in getting rid of the annoying vaginal odor. Simply dilute some tea tree oil with water. Use one or two drops of this diluted oil on the outer skin of your vagina, daily, for best result.
So, here you have 14 amazing benefits of tea tree oil for skin, hair and health. How do you like to use tea tree oil? Let us know below in the comments box 🙂