Surprising Benefits of Potatoes for Skin, Hair and Health – Who doesn’t love potatoes? But sometimes people avoid eating potatoes citing health issues. But potatoes are not unhealthy at all. In fact, there are many benefits of potatoes for our health as well as our skin and hair. We are going to tell you some of the most important benefits of potatoes for skin, hair and health in this article. Potatoes are staple food in many household. They are quite cheap compared to some of the other vegetables, and easy to grow as well. Plus one can eat potatoes in so many different ways – boiled, roasted, baked, fried, in curries and many more. This vegetable is a great source of vitamin C, Potassium, fiber, vitamin B, copper, tryptophan, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, folate etc.
Check – 12 Best Homemade Potato Face Pack Recipes for Clear, Glowing Skin
Before we begin with the must know benefits of potatoes, let us tell you some of the interesting facts about potatoes.
Facts about Potatoes
Scientifically known as Solanum tuberosum, potatoes grow underground, on the roots of the plant. Potatoes belong to the nightshade family of plants. They are native to America and have been cultivated somewhere between 7000 to 10000 years ago in Central and South America region. Potatoes dominate the world as the 4th largest food crop and currently, more than 1/3rd of the world’s potatoes are grown in China and India.
Potatoes are available in different variants – The ‘Russet’ potatoes are the classic potatoes, whereas, the small finger shaped potatoes are known as ‘Fingerling’. Then there are red potatoes with waxy texture and sweet taste. Then there are purple potatoes, which are known for their vibrant color and they are used mainly in salads.
More than the flesh, the skin of the potato contain a high amount of vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are a rich source of potassium, and the concentration is highest on the skin. The nutritional benefits of potatoes largely depend on the way they are prepared. Baked potatoes are better than fried potatoes, as they can preserve more amount of nutrition, whereas, fried potatoes are a source of fat and calories.
Check – How to Soothe the Skin After Bleaching
Nutritional Facts about Potatoes
Potatoes are grown underground, which is why they are rich in minerals. They are a good source of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, iron etc. Coming to the vitamin content of potatoes, they come with a good amount of vitamin C. They also contain Vitamin A, B as well as Vitamin P. Let me share another interesting fact about potatoes here. Did you know that potatoes are rich in water as well? Almost 70-80% of their weight is water.
A medium sized baked potato with its skin on (about 173 gm), contains –
- Calories – 161
- Fat – 0.2 grams
- Protein – 4.3 grams
- Carbs – 36.6 grams
- Fiber – 3.8 grams
- Vitamin C -28% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6 – 27% of the RDI
- Potassium – 26% of the RDI
- Manganese – 19% of the RDI
- Magnesium – 12% of the RDI
- Phosphorus – 12% of the RDI
- Niacin – 12% of the RDI
- Folate – 12% of the RDI
Potato in Different Languages
- Aloo/Batata in Hindi
- Batata in Gujarati
- Batate in Marathi
- Aalugadde in Kannada
- Bangaala Dumpa/ Alu Gadda in Telugu
- Kizhangu in Malayalam
- Uralaikilangu in Tamil
- Aloo in Punjabi
- Alu in Bengali
I hope you enjoyed knowing about these facts about potatoes. Now lets begin with our main part, i.e. the benefits of potatoes for our health and beauty.
Surprising Benefits of Potatoes for Skin, Hair and Health
I hope you enjoyed knowing about these facts about potatoes. Now lets begin with our main part, i.e. the benefits of potatoes for our health and beauty.
Benefits of Potatoes for Skin
Lets find out what are the benefits of potatoes for our skin.
1. Skin Lightening Benefits of Potatoes
This is one of the most important beauty benefits of potatoes. It has mild but effective bleaching properties, thanks to the presence of catecholase enzyme in it. Also, the vitamins and minerals present in potatoes provide nourishment to the skin and help in improving complexion.
Check – 21 Amazing Benefits of Papaya for Skin, Hair and Health
How to use potatoes for skin lightening
- Grate one raw potato and extract the juice. Apply it all over the face and wait for 10-15 minutes before washing it off. Doing this every alternate day will help in improving skin complexion significantly.
- Boil two medium sized potatoes and remove the skin. Mash them nicely so that there is no lump. Mix one tsp each of milk and olive oil with mashed potato and apply this mixture on the face and neck. Let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Alternatively, grate one potato and extract the juice. Add a tsp of honey to the potato juice and massage your face with the resultant mixture. Keep it on the skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with plain water and reapply every alternate day for great results.
2. Say Goodbye To Dry Skin with Potato
If you are troubled with dry skin all around the year, try potato! The problem with dry skin is that the market bought creams either do nothing or only work on the top layer of the skin. But using potato juice on the skin helps in deep nourishment, and get rid of the dryness. Potatoes come with calcium which helps in healing dry skin, as well as potassium which can hydrate and moisturize the skin beautifully.
How to treat dry skin with potatoes
- Grate one medium sized potato. Extract the juice and mix that with a tbsp of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the face and then massage gently for couple of minutes. Allow it to stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and reapply in every couple of days.
- Remove the skin from one medium sized potato and cut it into small pieces. Put them in a blender, along with two tsp rose water, one tsp honey and a tbsp fresh, plain yogurt. Blend together to get a lump free, smooth paste. Apply the paste on the face and then wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat once in a week.
3. Anti Aging Benefits of Potatoes
Here are another surprising potato benefits for skin. Potatoes are rich in vitamin A, B1 ,B2, B6, C, beta carotene, magnesium, phosphorus and various other nutrients. All these work together to improve our skin’s health. Potassium can moisturize and also hydrates the skin, while vitamin B6 helps in boosting cell production. Furthermore, calcium in potatoes is essential to heal dry skin. Moreover, Vitamin C boosts collagen production and also maintains skin elasticity and firmness. The magnesium in potato fights skin damages done by free radicals.
How to use potatoes for anti aging
- Remove skin from one potato and then cut it in small pieces. Put them in a blender to prepare a smooth paste. Apply that directly on the skin and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cold water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Cut one green apple into small cubes. Put them in the blender and make green apple pulp. Prepare potato pulp following the same procedure. Mix together 1 tbsp each of green apple pulp and potato pulp. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice to the mixture and finally combine everything nicely. Apply the face pack all over the face and neck and then let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with plain water and repeat once in a week.
- You will need one boiled carrot and one boiled potato for this face pack. Chop them and mash them together. Add a pinch of turmeric and baking soda to the paste and mix everything. Apply this mixture all over the face and neck. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Reapply twice in a week.
4. Potato Gives Glowing Skin
Potatoes are really high in vitamin C content. Vitamin C is well known for its skin brightening properties. Also vitamin C helps in boosting collagen, which in turn keep our skin firm and supple. Furthermore, potatoes also contain vitamin A, B1 ,B2, B6, beta carotene, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, etc. All these nutrients provide deep nourishment to the skin and restore its natural glow.
Check – 14 Best Homemade Face Pack for Instant Glowing Skin
How to use potatoes to get glowing skin
- Extract the juice from one medium sized grated potato. Add the potato juice to 1-2 tbsp of raw milk and few drops of glycerin. Mix together and then apply the mixture all over the face and neck. Wait till it gets dry naturally and wash off with plain water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Take two tbsp yellow lentils and soak them in water overnight. Next morning, make a paste of the yellow lentils. To the paste, add a tbsp each of lemon juice and fresh potato juice and also a tsp honey. Mix every ingredient. Apply it all over the face and neck. Massage gently with your finger tips for couple of minutes. Keep it on the skin for another 15-20 minutes. Once it gets dry, wash it off with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Prepare oatmeal powder by putting 2 tbsp of raw oatmeal in a blender. Add half of a peeled and chopped potato and blend again. If required add some milk or water to get a face pack like consistency. Apply it all over the face and massage gently with your finger tips. Allow it to dry naturally. Wash off with luke warm water first and then splash some cold water on the face. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
5. Gets Rid of Dark Circles
This is one of the major benefits of potatoes for skin. Potatoes are natural bleaching agents, which is why it helps significantly in lightening the under eye dark circles, if its due to pigmentation. Moreover, potatoes are rich in vitamin C and anti oxidant properties. This helps in boosting blood circulation on the area and thus helps to get rid of dark circles as well as puffiness around our eyes.
How to use potatoes to remove dark circles
- Peel one medium sized raw potato and grate it. Extract the juice from the grated potato. You can put the potato juice in fridge for few minutes. Take it out and then apply it on the dark circles with the help of cotton balls. Close your eyes and relax for 10 minutes. Use fresh water to wash your eyes. Repeat twice in a day.
- Keep one potato in the fridge for an hour. Take it out and cut it into slices. Take two slices and place them on the dark circles. Let them stay for 10-15 minutes. Remove and wash with fresh water. Repeat twice or thrice in a day.
6. Removes Acne and Acne Scars
This is one of the lesser known benefits of potatoes. Potatoes are a wonderful solution for acne and pimples, thanks to the high amount of vitamin C. Along with that, potatoes contain minerals like, zinc, copper, sulfur, phosphorus, chloride, which are essential for healthy skin. These nutrients help to remove toxins from the skin and thus reduce the chances of breakouts. The natural bleaching properties of potatoes help in lightening acne scars as well.
How to use potato to get rid of acne and acne scars
- Put few potato cubes and half of a cucumber in a blender. Blend together to make a smooth paste. Add a tsp each of lemon juice and turmeric powder to the paste and mix again. Apply an even layer of this all over the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water. Reapply twice or thrice in a week.
- Prepare potato pulp by putting few potato cubes in a blender. Add half tbsp yogurt to that and mix both the ingredients. Apply the mixture on the face and then keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Grate one medium sized potato and extract the juice from it. Add few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder to the potato juice and mix together. Apply the mixture on the face and then allow it to dry naturally. Wash it off with fresh water. Reapply once every day.
Benefits of Potatoes for Hair
We have just discussed the benefits of potatoes for our skin. Now lets talk about what are the benefits of potatoes for hair.
7. Dry Hair Treatment with Potato
Potatoes are rich in vitamins A, B1 ,B2, B6, C, and minerals like calcium, manganese, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and iron. All these are nutrients help in restoring our hair health. Potato juice works as a great hair conditioner and makes hair soft and silky.
How to use potato to treat dry hair
Grate 3-4 potatoes and extract the juice. Add one whisked egg yolk and a tsp honey to the potato juice. Mix all the ingredients and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Let it sit on the hair for 40-45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat twice a week.
8. Effective to Treat Hair Loss
If you are suffering from severe hair loss, try these remedies to get this benefits of potatoes. The high amount of vitamins A, B1 ,B2, B6, C, and minerals like, potassium, iron, manganese, phosphorous, copper and niacin in potato juice play a vital role to control hair loss and boost hair growth as well.
How to use potatoes for hair loss
- Remove skin from 2-3 potatoes and grate them. Extract the juice. Apply the potato juice all over the scalp and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly to stop hair loss.
- Get some potato juice using the same method discussed above. Add some fresh aloe vera gel to the potato juice and mix together. Apply this on the hair and scalp and wait for at least 30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Take 3-4 potatoes and boil them in water. Once done, collect the water separately and let it cool down. Use this water to rinse your hair. Keep it on for some time and then wash off with a shampoo.
9. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Potatoes
Potatoes contain high amount of minerals, like zinc, copper, calcium, etc which are very beneficial for healthy and dandruff free scalp. Here is a simple way to use potato to get rid of dandruff.
How to use potato to cure dandruff
Grate 2-3 potatoes and extract the juice. Add a tsp lemon juice to the potato juice and mix both together. Apply it on the scalp and massage well. Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash off with a shampoo. Repeat at least once in a week.
10. Prevent Premature Graying of Hair
The anti oxidant benefits of potatoes makes it an ideal solution to treat premature gray hair. Along with that, the high amount of vitamins and minerals present in potato help in nourishing the hair follicles and prevent premature graying.
How to use potato to prevent premature graying
Boil 3-4 potatoes in a pan and once done, strain the water. Use this water as your after shampoo rinse. Regular application will help in restoring the natural color of the hair.
Check – How to Use Egg for Hair
Benefits of Potatoes for Health
After discussing about the benefits of potatoes for our skin and hair, its time to talk about potato benefits for health.
11. Aids in Digestion
Potatoes are easy to digest and they also help in digestion. They are a good source of carbohydrates which gives energy, specially for those who are not able to eat hard foods, but needs the energy for the body to function properly. Also, potatoes contain a good amount of fiber, which boosts the release of gastric juices and aids in digestion. Fiber also stimulates peristaltic motion and then helps to give relief from constipation.
12. Might Prevent Cancer
Potatoes are rich in flavonoids, carotenoids and phenolic acids, which are known for their anti oxidant benefits. The antioxidants fight off the free radicals present in our body, which can otherwise cause chronic diseases, like heart diseases, cancer, diabetes etc. Studies have suggested that these anti oxidants present in potatoes are very beneficial in preventing liver as well as colon cancer. Furthermore, studies have also revealed that purple potatoes contain three or four times more amount of antioxidants than in white potatoes, which makes them even more powerful to combat free radical activities.
13. Controls Blood Sugar Level
This is one of the best health benefits of potatoes. Potatoes contain a special type of starch, known as ‘resistant starch’. It doesn’t break down and get absorbed by the body, instead, it reaches the large intestine and turn into a source of nutrients for the good bacteria present in our gut. Various researches have shown that this resistant starch has many health benefits, including improved blood sugar control and reduced insulin resistance. A study done on people with type 2 diabetes found that eating a meal with resistant starch helped in better control of blood sugar level by removing excess sugar after a meal. According to another study done on ten people who ate 30 grams of resistant starch daily over a period of four-week period, were found with reduced insulin resistance by 33%.
14. Can Improve Heart Health
Yes, that’s right. Potatoes are good for our heart. They do not contain cholesterol, but comes with vitamin B6, Vitamin C as well as fiber and potassium, which all are good for our heart. The fiber present in potatoes helps in lowering cholesterol in arteries and blood vessels, thereby improving heart health. Potassium also plays a major role in protecting our heart.
Check – Innisfree Perfect 9 Repair Eye Cream
15. Boosts Brain Health
Interestingly, potatoes can improve our brain health. They contain alpha lipoic acid, which is a co-enzyme that boosts brain health and prevent memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s disease. The high amount of carbs present in potato can maintain proper glucose level in the blood, thereby preventing brain fatigue. Also, our brain needs oxygen which is carried by the hemoglobin in the blood. The main constituent of hemoglobin is iron, and potatoes are rich in iron as well. Along with these, the vitamins and minerals present in potatoes also help to boost brain function.
These were some of the most amazing benefits of potatoes for our skin, hair and health. I hope you found this read enjoyable, stay tuned for more!