16 Incredible Benefits of Pineapple for Skin, Hair and Health – Pineapples are amazing in its own way! Be it their unique shape, the ‘crown’ on top or the sweet-tart taste – its not easy to ignore this fruit at all. And let me tell you, after knowing the amazing Benefits of Pineapple for our health and beauty, you would fall in love with this tropical beauty all over again! Discover all the amazing health and beauty benefits of pineapple here in this article. The juicy, vibrant yellow-orange colored fruit comes with a host of health benefits which include boosting immunity system, aiding in digestion, bone strengthening etc. And, pineapple can be your solution to acne and give you youthful skin by fighting off premature aging signs! That’s not all. Learn more about the amazing Benefits of Pineapple for Skin, Hair and Health below.
Check – 5 Pineapple Face Masks Recipes
Before we start with the list of pineapple benefits for skin, hair and health, let us first share some interesting facts about pineapple.
What is Pineapple?
Do you know that pineapples are only second to bananas as the favorite fruit among Americans? Scientifically known as Ananas comosus, pineapple is delicious tropicalwith thorny on the outer skin and hard, leaves on top. The fruit is said to be originated from the area between southern Brazil and Paraguay. Pineapple got their name from Spanish word ‘pina’, which means pinecone. Technically, pineapple is not a single fruit, but 100-200 fruitlets fused together around a central core. Each fruitlet is called an “eye”. Pineapples are cylindrical in shape with a scaly outer skin which is green, brownish or yellow in color. The top of the fruit has a crown of spiny, blue-green leaves. Inside, the flesh is yellow, juicy and fiborous.
Pineapples are packed with Vitamin C which is why this fruit is considered super healthy. It is also a good source of vitamin A, beta-, , vitamin B5 ( ), vitamin B6, and
Pineapple Nutritional Facts
A cup of fresh pineapple chunks (about 165 gm) contains –
- Calories – 82
- Calories from Fat – 0
- Total Fat – 0g 0% RDA
- Cholesterol – 0mg 0% RDA
- Sodium – 2mg 0% RDA
- Potassium – 120mg 3% RDA
- Total Carbohydrate – 15g 5% RDA
- Dietary Fiber – 2g 8% RDA
- Sugars – 11g
- Protein – 1g
- Vitamin A – 2% RDA
- Vitamin C – 131% RDA
- Calcium – 2% RDA
- Iron – 2% RDA
Pineapple in Different Languages
- Ananas in Hindi
- Anarosh in Bengali
- Anasi Pazham in Tamil
- Anasa Pandu in Telugu
- Kayita Chakka in Malayalam
Let us now find out all the important benefits of pineapple which are must for our overall well being.
Benefits of Pineapple for Skin
We are going to start this list with the amazing pineapple benefits for our skin.
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapple is a very effective solution for acne. It is a storehouse of vitamin C, anti oxidants and a fruit enzyme known as bromelain. The presence of these ingredients has made pineapple a very beneficial treatment for acne. Vitamin C helps in acne prevention and keeping the skin healthy from within. Bromelain has anti inflammatory properties, that not only soothe acne troubled skin but also boosts the activities of vitamin C. The anti oxidants fight off the free radicals and reduce the oxidative stress from the skin cells, thus preventing a lot of skin problems including acne.
How to use pineapple to get rid of acne?
- Applying pineapple juice directly on the face is a great way to eliminate acne and pimples. Apply the juice and wait till it gets dry. Wash it off with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Remove the skin from few freshly cut pineapple chunks and put them in a blender to prepare pineapple pulp. Add one tsp each of green tea and honey to the pineapple pulp. Mix everything and apply the mixture on the face. Massage in circular motion for few minutes. Let it stay on the skin for another 5-8 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat once in a week.
- Prepare pineapple puree by putting few fresh pineapple chunks in the blender. Add a pinch of turmeric to it and mix both the ingredients. Apply an even layer of the mixture on the face and keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat once in a week.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapple has significant anti aging benefits. It comes loaded with vitamins like, vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and C and minerals like potassium, manganese, copper along with folic acid, beta carotene, etc. All these nutrients in pineapple help in restoring the health of the skin and keep it youthful. The anti oxidants in pineapple neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals and reduce oxidative stress on the skin cells. This way pineapple help in preventing premature aging of skin and also reduce wrinkles. Furthermore, the fruit enzyme in pineapple known as bromelain, helps in exfoliating our skin and remove the dead skin cells which also aid in keeping away from aging signs like wrinkles and lines. Bromelain also helps to correct uneven skin tone, dark patches, age spots as well as hyper pigmentation.
How to use pineapple to treat skin aging?
- Cut one pineapple into small pieces and put them in a blender to prepare a smooth pineapple pulp. Apply the pineapple pulp all over the face and neck and massage a little with your finger tips. Leave it on the skin for another 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat once in a week.
- Prepare pineapple pulp and add 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and one tbsp raw honey to that. Mix together and make a smooth paste. Apply this resultant mixture on the face and neck and keep it on the skin for 30 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat once in a week.
- Put few fresh pineapple chunks and two tbsp coconut milk in a blender. Blend them together until you get a smooth paste. Apply the paste on face and neck and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat once in a week.
- Add one egg white and a tsp natural honey to some pineapple pulp. Mix together to make a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over the face and neck and allow it to dry naturally. Wash off with cold water. Reapply once in a week.
3. Skin Whitening Benefits of Pineapple
Next comes this one on our list of best benefits of pineapple for skin. Pineapple is very effective in giving fair complexion and the presence of bromelain enzyme can be attributed to for this. The enzyme helps in exfoliating the skin and removing the layer of dead skin cells which otherwise can make the skin look dark and patchy. Bromelain is also effective in treating hyper pigmentation as well as age spots and even out the complexion. Furthermore, pineapple is a great source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its skin brightening benefits. It also boosts collagen production and keep the skin firm and youthful. Also the ascorbic acid present in pineapple helps to fade scars and dark spots.
How to use pineapple to get fair complexion?
- Cut a few pineapple chunks and remove the skin. Put them in a blender and prepare a smooth pineapple pulp. In a bowl, take two tsp pineapple pulp and add 1-2 tsp gram flour to it. Mix together and apply an even layer of the mask all over the face and neck. Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cold water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Alternately, here is another DIY face pack to get naturally fair skin. Take 2-3 tbsp of pineapple juice and add two tsp corn flour as well as few drops of rose water to this and mix together. Apply a thick layer of this mixture on clean face and keep it on the skin for 20 minutes. Wash off with fresh and clean water. Repeat regularly.
- Prepare pineapple pulp by putting few fresh pineapple chunks in the blender. Mix together two tbsp of pineapple pulp and a tbsp honey to it. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck. Leave it on the skin for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with fresh water. Reapply twice or thrice in a week.
4. Hydrates the Skin
Dry skin is a major problem for many of us. When no serum or cream can give you satisfactory results, do try out pineapples. Pineapple has amazing skin hydrating properties. It contains bromelain, a fruit enzyme, which offers amazing exfoliation for our skin. It gets rid of the dead skin cells and helps to treat skin dryness.
How to use pineapple to hydrate the skin?
- Put a few pineapple chunks in a blender and prepare pineapple pulp. Also prepare cucumber pulp. Mix together two tsp each of pineapple pulp and cucumber pulp as well as add one tsp of milk cream. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face and neck. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat once in a week.
- In a blender, put 4 pineapple slices, one tbsp grape seed oil and two tsp natural honey. Blend them together and make a smooth paste. Apply the paste on the face and neck and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Reapply once or twice in a week.
5. Good for Feet and Nail
Our feet and hands are equally important as our face, but often we ignore them. As a result, we end up having rough and dry foot and brittle dry nails. Pineapple can be a great solution to treat both of these concerns. Pineapple is a great source of vitamin A and B. Both the vitamins are essential for healthy feet and nail. Vitamin A is very beneficial in treating dry and brittle nails, whereas, vitamin B can effectively solve the problem of cracked and rough feet.
How to use pineapple for foot and nail care?
Foot care – Put half cup chopped pineapple in a blender and add half of an unpeeled apple as well as some peeled grapefruits. Blend together and make a paste. Take it out and add juice from one lemon, one tsp salt and two tsp anise. Mix together and rub the mixture all over your feet. Let it stay for 30 minutes and then wash off with fresh water. Repeat once in a week.
Nail care – In a bowl, take one egg yolk and add one tbsp fresh pineapple juice, one tsp lemon juice and 2-3 drops of lemon oil. Mix together and apply the mixture on the nails and cuticles with the help of a thin brush or cotton ball. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash off. You can repeat this nail care treatment once daily or every alternate days.
6. Helps with Mole Removal
Next comes this one on our list of benefits of pineapple for skin. It helps us with unwanted mole removal. Moles are common skin growth, but sometimes, they affect our looks. And we want them to vanish. If you want to remove moles without going under the knife, then pineapple juice can help you with that. It contains a high amount of citric acid, which helps in dissolving the mole and make it disappear from the skin.
How to use pineapple to get rid of moles?
- Take a small slice of pineapple and rub it on the mole continuously for few minutes. Let the juice sit on the skin for 10-15 minutes and then wash off. Repeat several times daily.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a solution by mixing together one tsp castor oil and one tbsp fresh pineapple juice. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it on the moles and let it sit on the skin for couple of hours. Wash off and repeat twice in a day.
- Add 1/4 cup of sea salt to half a cup of pineapple juice and mix together. Apply it on the moles and rub the skin gently for few minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat regularly.
Benefits of Pineapple for Hair
After discussing about the benefits of pineapple for our skin, let us find out what are the benefits of pineapple for hair.
7. Promotes Healthy Hair
If you are suffering from severe hair loss, then its high time that you start using pineapple both internally and externally. Pineapple contains a high amount of vitamin C. This benefits of pineapple help in treating hair loss because vitamin C is a powerful anti oxidant, which fights off the free radicals and stops hair fall. The other nutrients and minerals present in pineapple provide a boost of nourishment to the hair follicles and strengthen them. This way, pineapple boosts healthy hair growth.
8. Treats Dry and Itchy Scalp
Sometimes, product build up, dirt and other impurities can cause dry and itchy scalp. If you are troubled with the same, then do incorporate pineapple in your hair care regime and daily diet. Pineapple contains bromelain, which exfoliates the scalp and remove the impurities gently but effectively. Moreover, the anti inflammatory benefits of pineapple help to soothe dry and irritated scalp and gives relief from infections.
How to use Pineapple on Hair?
Fancy a tropical hair mask for beautiful hair? Here is a simple recipe that you can try at home. Extract the juice from 1/4 of a pineapple and add that to any carrier oil or plain fresh yogurt. Apply the mixture on the scalp as well as hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to remove it all. Repeat once in a week.
Benefits of Pineapple for Health
I hope you loved knowing about the skin and hair benefits of pineapple. Below you can discover the wonderful benefits of pineapple for our health.
9. Strengthens Immunity
If you are looking for ways to boost your immunity, then look no further than pineapple. Adding pineapple to your daily diet provides a high dose of Vitamin C to your body. Vitamin C is a must-have nutrient that boosts our immunity. It is a water soluble anti oxidant in our body which fights off the free radicals and protects our body various illnesses, including plaque build-up in artery, diabetes, heart diseases, colon cancer, arthritis etc. Studies have shown that adding vitamin C to our daily diet is very useful to prevent or reduce the severity of these conditions. Moreover, vitamin C is also useful to stop the recurrence of common cold and flu by strengthening the immunity.
10. Speeds up Healing of Wounds
One of the lesser known yet significant benefits of pineapple is its ability to speed up the healing process of wounds. And the presence of Vitamin C in abundance in pineapple is responsible for that. Vitamin C helps in creating collagen, which is an important protein that helps in healing the wounds faster and make the skin smooth.
11. Strong Bones
Having pineapple is probably the most delicious way to strengthen your bones. This tropical beauty contains rich amount of manganese which helps significantly in strengthening the bones as well as the connective tissues. The other minerals present in pineapple also contributes to healthy bones.
12. Improves Fertility
This is another major health benefits of pineapple. Studies have shown that foods that are rich in anti oxidants are very useful to improve fertility. Free radicals present in our body can damage the reproductive system and induce infertility. The antioxidants that enter our body help to fight off the free radicals and protect us from infertility. Pineapple is rich in antioxidants, such as Vitamin C, beta carotene, along with other vitamins and minerals have a positive impact on both male and female fertility. Researches have found that anti oxidants can boost blood flow, restore tissue formation in the genital organs as well as boost sperm counting.
13. Has Anti Cancer Properties
This is probably the most important health benefits of pineapple. Pineapple has been found to be useful in preventing various cancers, including mouth, throat and breast cancers. The main reason is the presence of anti oxidants in pineapple, such as vitamin C, beta carotene, bromelain, flavonoids as well as trace mineral manganese. Manganese is required for proper functioning of the key oxidative enzyme superoxide dismutase, which is a very powerful free radicals scavenger and can prevent various types of cancers.
14. Boosts Digestion
Pineapple is very effective in boosting our digestion. It is rich in dietary fiber which help the food to travel through the digestive tract at a normal rate as well as stimulates the release of gastric and digestive juices which in turn lead to better digestion of foods. Moreover, the enzyme ‘bromelain’ present in pineapple help with protein digestion and reduces gut inflammation. Pineapple also has the ability to bulk up loose stool and thus, it helps in treating diarrhea and irritable bowl syndrome or IBS.
15. Good for Diabetics
The next one on our list of health benefits of pineapple comes this one. The tropical fruit is rich in fiber which has made it a great food for diabetes patients. For those suffering from type 1 diabetes, pineapple helps in lowering the blood glucose levels. And for those with type 2 diabetes, pineapple consumption helps in improved blood sugar, insulin and lipid levels. However, since pineapple itself contains some sugar so be careful about the amount of pineapple you are eating, specially individuals with diabetes.
16. Boosts Oral Health
One of the major health benefits of pineapple is its ability to promote healthy gum and teeth. Pineapple juice has astringent properties which help to tighten up tissues and strengthen gums and teeth. This is why, pineapple is regarded as one of the best natural remedies to fix the loosening of teeth and retraction of the gums.
This was a small discussion on some of the most incredible benefits of pineapple for our health and beauty. Do let us know in the comments how you like to use pineapple for staying healthy and gorgeous!