21 Amazing Benefits of Papaya for Skin, Hair and Health – Papaya is one such fruit which is available all around the year. It is not everyone’s favorite, but those who love it can hardly afford to miss it from their daily diet. We will discuss about some of the most amazing benefits of papaya for our health and beauty here. If you are a beauty enthusiast and lover of natural remedies, you’d already know that papaya has wonderful benefits for our skin. But that’s not all. This fruit is a rich source of vitamin C. In fact, a small papaya can fulfill about 300% of our daily requirement of vitamin C. Moreover, not only the fleshy part of papaya, but its seeds, skin and even the flowers are beneficial for human health.
Check – 20 Best Fruit Face Mask for Summer You can Try at Home
Before we begin with the list of benefits of papaya, lets first check out some facts about the same.
What is Papaya
Papaya is an orange colored juicy fruit which is not only delicious, but healthy as well. Scientifically known as Carica papaya, this fruit was once called as the ‘fruit of angels’ by Christopher Columbus. Believed to be originated in Central America and Southern Mexico, today, papaya is grown many places around the world. India is one of the major producers of papaya. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), India produced over 5 million tons of papayas in 2013. In fact, in 2014, global production of papayas was led by India again – 44% of 12.7 million tonnes overall.
Commonly, two types of papayas are grown – red or orange flesh with a sweet taste, and yellow flesh (mainly in Australia).
Papaya can be consumed in a various ways. The ripe fruit is usually eaten raw, after removing the skin and seeds. The unripe fruit is consumed in cooked form, in curries and also can be added to salads. The small, black papaya seeds are also edible. They have a bitter, spicy taste and are often used (ground seeds) as a substitute for black pepper.
Check – Oshea Papaya Clean Body Butter and Oshea Cocoa Butter Body Butter
Papaya in Different Languages
- Papita in Hindi
- Pappali in Tamil
- Omkaya in Malayalam
- Pappayi Hannu in Kannada
- Boppayi Pandu in Telugu
- Papai in Marathi
- Papaiya in Gujarati
- Pepe in Bengali
Nutritional Facts of Papaya
A 152 gms of papaya contains –
- Calories: 59
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Vitamin C: 157% of the RDI
- Vitamin A: 33% of the RDI
- Folate (Vitamin B9): 14% of the RDI
- Potassium: 11% of the RDI
- Trace amounts of calcium, magnesium and vitamins B1, B3, B5, E and K.
- Papaya is also high in carotenoids, specially lycopene.
21 Amazing Benefits of Papaya for Skin, Hair and Health
So let us check out the different amazing benefits of using papaya –
Benefits of Papaya for Skin
We are going to start this list with benefits of papaya for our skin. It contains several components that are great for our skin.
1. Brightens the Complexion
If you are suffering from dull, lackluster skin, then papaya can be your savior. Dull and dark skin can often be the result of dead skin cells build up. Papaya contains an enzyme, known as ‘papain’, which is a protein-dissolving enzyme. It helps in exfoliating the skin and also removing the layers of dead skin cells, which leads to bright and glowing complexion. Find out below how to enjoy this benefits of papaya.
How to use papaya for skin brightening
- Simply cut a slice from ripe papaya and rub it all over your face, hands and legs. Let it dry naturally and wash off with cold water. Repeat 3-4 times in a week.
- Alternatively, you can mash few cubes of ripe papaya with a fork and then, add few drops of lemon juice to that. Mix together and apply the paste, all over the face. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then, wash off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week for glowing skin.
2. Anti Pigmentation Benefits of Papaya
This is one of the most well known benefits of papaya for our skin. Papaya has significant skin lightening properties, thanks to the enzymes present in it. The enzymes, along with the AHAs, help to clear up the skin and remove pigmentation. Also papaya contains beta carotene and phyto chemicals which help to lighten complexion over time.
How to use papaya to clear pigmentation
- Grate one medium sized papaya and extract the juice. Apply it directly on the skin where you are suffering from pigmentation. Wait till it becomes dry and wash off with plain water. Repeat once or twice every day until you notice results.
- Alternatively, you can use a face mask made of papaya, milk and honey. Mash few cubes of ripe papaya and also add a tbsp each of milk and organic honey to that. Mix together and then apply the resultant mixture all over the face. Wait till it gets completely dry. Rinse off with luke warm water. Doing this twice a day – once in the morning and once at night before going to bed.
3. Get Rid of Under Eye Dark Circles
Papaya, specially green papaya is very beneficial in removing under eye dark circles. It is a natural bleaching agent and thus, helps to remove under eye darkness, due to pigmentation.
Check – 12 Amazing Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes using Cucumber
How to use Papaya for reducing under eye dark circles
Mash few cubes of green papaya and then apply that directly under the eyes. Let it sit on the skin for 10-12 minutes. Once that time period gets over, gently massage the skin with your fingertips. Remove the papaya paste and then wash the skin with fresh water. Repeat daily.
4. Anti Aging Benefits of Papaya
Papaya is rich in vitamin A, which is known for its anti aging benefits. It helps in repairing the aging signs and keeps our skin soft and supple. Also papaya contains vitamin C and E. Both these are powerful anti oxidants and protect our skin from premature aging. The AHAs present in papaya help to exfoliate the skin and eliminate the dead skin cells, thus keeping aging signs at bay.
How to use papaya for anti aging
Mash few cubes of papaya with a fork. Add a tbsp milk and few drops of raw honey. Mix together and then apply the mixture on the face and neck. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with fresh cool water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
5. Helps to Remove Tan
Sun tan is hard to get rid of. One of the best skin benefits of papaya is that it helps in removing sun tan completely. The high amount of vitamin A and C help in lightening the sun tan. Along with these, the enzyme papain also helps to remove the layer of tanned skin cells and makes way for fresh healthy skin.
How to use papaya to get rid of sun tan
- Put few papaya cubes in a blender and prepare papaya pulp. Apply the pulp all over the tanned skin. Keep it on the skin for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat once everyday.
- Alternatively, you can add some turmeric and honey to papaya pulp for tan removal. Mix together mashed papaya and honey in 2:1 ratio. Furthermore, add a pinch of turmeric powder as well. Mix everything nicely. Apply the resultant mixture on the tanned skin and then let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Remove with plain water and repeat twice in a week.
6. Anti Acne Benefits of Papaya
Next comes this one on our list of best skin benefits of papaya. Papaya contains AHAs, which help in clearing up the clogged pores. And we already know that clogged pores are one of the the main reasons for getting acne. Papaya minimizes the chance of breakouts by unblocking clogged pores. Also papaya comes with good amount of vitamin A, C and E, which work together to keep the skin acne free.
How to use papaya to treat acne
- Take few small cubes of papaya and put them in the blender to prepare papaya pulp. Add a tbsp each of multani mitti and honey to the papaya pulp and mix together. Apply it on the face and then allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, prepare papaya pulp following the same direction given above. Add a generous pinch of sandalwood powder, some fresh aloe vera gel and rose water to the papaya pulp. Mix together to prepare a face pack. Apply all over the face and then keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with fresh, cool water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
7. Bleaching Benefits of Papaya
You can get rid of your facial hair with papaya. The natural bleaching properties of papaya help in skin lightening. Also it can lighten the appearance of unwanted facial hair on women. Papaya contains papain, a special enzyme that breaks down the hair follicles and slows down hair regrowth. This way papaya help to inhibit unwanted hair growth by proving natural bleaching benefits.
How to use papaya to lighten facial hair
- Prepare papaya pulp by blending few cubes of raw papaya. Add half tsp turmeric powder to the papaya pulp and mix well. Apply this mask on the face. Massage gently for few minutes and leave it on the skin for another 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with plain water. Use this remedy once in a week to lighten facial hair.
- Alternatively, combine a tbsp each of papaya pulp and mustard oil, 2-3 tbsp aloe vera gel, 1/2 tsp gram flour, a pinch of turmeric. Make a thick paste. Apply this on the face, wait till it gets dry. Take a clean and dry cloth and rub it in the opposite direction of the hair growth while removing the face mask. Wash off with plain water.
Benefits of Papaya for Hair
After discussing about skin benefits of papaya, now we will talk about some of the hair benefits of papaya.
8. Boosts Hair Growth
One of the main papaya benefits for hair is its ability to boost hair growth. Papaya contains folic acid, which help in improving blood circulation to the scalp and hair follicles. This in turn also nourishes the hair follicles and then promotes healthy hair growth.
How to use papaya for better hair growth
- Whisk one egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mash one ripe papaya. Add the whisked egg to the mashed papaya and then mix both of them nicely. Apply it on the hair and scalp and then let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat once in a week.
- Take a ripe avocado and cut it in half. Scoop out the fleshy part and put it in the blender. Also add few cubes of ripe papaya. Blend together to make a smooth paste. Add a tbsp honey to the mixture and mix again. Apply this paste on the scalp and massage gently for a minute or two. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat once in a week.
9. Controls Dandruff
Papaya is extremely beneficial for dandruff prone scalp. Dandruff is often caused by dry scalp. Papaya offers excellent moisturization to the dry scalp and also helps in removing dandruff. Furthermore, it contains papain enzyme, which exfoliates the skin on the scalp and also removes the dead skin cells which look like white flakes on the scalp. This way, papaya not only controls dandruff, but also helps in clearing up the build up on the scalp. Papaya seeds are also good for getting rid of dandruff. They come with anti fungal properties and help in controlling dandruff, specially if its due to fungal infection.
How to use papaya to cure dandruff
- This combination of lemon juice and papaya is a great natural remedy for dandruff. Mash few ripe papaya cubes in a bowl and add a tbsp lemon juice to that. Mix together and then apply the mixture on the scalp and massage gently. Let it sit on the scalp for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and luke warm water. Repeat twice in a week for best results.
- Cut half of a papaya in small cubes. Put them in the blender along with the seeds. Blend together and then prepare a smooth paste. Massage this on the scalp and hair. Wait for an hour and shampoo your hair as usual.
10. Acts as a Natural Conditioner
Papaya has excellent hair conditioning properties. It contains high amount of vitamin A, which promotes sebum production. The sebum on our scalp helps in keeping the hair soft and supple. The high water content in papaya is also helpful to keep the hair hydrated.
How to use papaya to condition hair
- Mash one ripe papaya and make a smooth paste. Add a tbsp of jojoba oil to that. Mix well and apply this on the hair. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat twice in a week.
- Alternatively, add two tbsp coconut milk to mashed papaya. Mix together and then apply it on the hair. Wait for about 30-40 minutes and also wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
Benefits of Papaya for Health
So we have already seen how papaya is extremely beneficial for our skin and hair. Now lets find out the benefits of papaya for our health.
11. Protects against Age Related Macular Degeneration
One of the best health benefits of papaya is this one. Macular degeneration is nothing but the gradual loss of vision due to aging. Papaya contains a powerful anti oxidant known as zeaxanthin, which can filter out the harmful blue light rays and protect our eye health. Also papaya contains vitamin A and beta carotene, which also help to keep the eyes healthy and protect from damage.
12. Prevents Asthma
It has been seen that people who consume high amount of beta carotene are at the lower risk of developing asthma. Papaya is rich in beta carotene, which helps in preventing asthma.
13. Boosts Digestion
This is one of the most well known health benefits of papaya. In ancient times, people used to use papaya to treat stomach ailments such as, indigestion, heart burn, stomach ulcers, etc, due to its papain content. It is a protein dissolving enzyme, which helps to ease stomach ailments. Since papaya is a rich source of dietary fiber, it helps in boosting our digestive health. The enzyme papain helps in breaking down proteins and aids in proper digestion.
Check – 22 Surprising Benefits of Coconut Water for Skin, Hair and Health
14. Has Anti Cancer Benefits
Researches have shown that papaya has anti cancer properties, which can be credited to its beta carotene content. One such beta carotene is lycopene, which is found in high quantity in papaya. It has shown anti cancer benefits. Also it is beneficial for those who are being treated for cancer. The anti oxidant benefits of papaya can reduce the activities of free radicals which often contribute to cancer development.
15. Promotes Heart Health
Papaya is very beneficial for our heart. Studies have shown that lycopene and vitamin C, both are extremely useful to prevent heart disease. Papaya contains both of them in high amount. These two along with vitamin A, prevent oxidation of cholesterol, which in turn also help in preventing the clogging of blood vessels. This way papaya protects our heart and enhances the effects of good cholesterol.
16. Boosts Immunity
This is another great papaya benefits for health. It is very beneficial for our immunity system, due to its anti oxidant contents. The anti oxidants present in papaya neutralizes the harmful effects of free radicals and help us to stay healthy. Adding papaya to your daily diet will let you take advantage of this amazing papaya benefits. You can have a bowl of ripe papaya as your mid day snacks or drink a glass of papaya juice every morning.
17. Treats Irregular Menstruation
Papaya can be a savior for those women who suffer from irregular periods. Papaya is known as a ‘hot food’, which means it produces heat inside our body. The heat in our body boosts the estrogen hormone, which in turn, helps to regularize the menstrual cycle. Drinking papaya juice daily is found to be helpful in dealing with irregular periods. Also, consuming green, unripe papaya can also help to normalize one’s periodic cycle.
18. Beneficial for Diabetics
Papaya is considered as a healthy food for those suffering from diabetes. Raw papaya is high in fiber, thus, extremely beneficial to keep the level of blood sugar and cholesterol on check. According to a study done by Mauritius University, green tea in combination with fermented papaya work great to prevent diabetes. In the North East part of India, papaya flowers are used as a folk remedy to treat diabetes.
19. Promotes Healing of Wounds
Not many of us are aware of this astonishing property of papaya. Papaya seeds have significant anti microbial properties. When you apply crushed papaya seeds on the wounds, it helps in killing the bacteria in the wound and aids in faster healing. Not only the seeds, papaya juice is also helpful in healing wounds. It prevents swelling of the wounds.
20. Prevents Arthritis
According to studies, papaya is effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and ostero arthritis. The fruit contains an enzyme known as chymopapain, which has been found to have positive effects in controlling rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis.
21. Beneficial for Bone Growth
Many of us do not know this, but papaya plays a vital role in bone growth in human. Dried papaya also helps in boosting arginine in our body. Arginine is a type of amino acid which can activate the human growth hormone. Human growth hormone plays a positive role in boosting bone health, muscles, etc.
These were the best benefits of papaya for our skin, hair and health. How do you like to take papaya? Let us know in the comments below.