15 Wonderful Benefits of Orange for Skin, Hair and Health – Orange is known for its tangy-sweet taste, and its nutritional benefits. Though it is available all year around, but you will plenty of oranges in the market during winter. And that’s why, many of us associate winter with orange. In this article, we will discuss about the health and beauty benefits of orange. Often called as the ‘Golden Apple’, oranges are the storehouse of various nutrients, specially vitamin B1, E, C, Potassium, Calcium, etc. In India, oranges from Nagpur are very famous. A rich source of anti oxidants, oranges are good for our heart, improve vision, strengthen immunity, fight off hair loss, and also can give us glowing skin. Plus there’s many more benefits of oranges for skin, hair and health, which we have shared below.
Check – How to Use Orange for Skin Whitening
Before we share the wonderful benefits of orange for skin, hair and health, let us find some must-know facts about oranges.
What is Orange?
Scientifically known as Citrus sinesis, orange belongs to the Rutaceae family. It normally grows in tropical and sub tropical regions. The fruit is bright orange in color and generally, round in shape. Oranges can vary in size, though. In average, oranges have a diameter of 3 inches and they weigh about 100-150 gm. The tree is evergreen and small flowering tree, which normally grow from 5-8 meter. The flowers that grow in orange tree are white in color and fragrant as well. The fruit has a soft, but thicker outer covering. Inside, the fruit is normally divided in 10-12 segments.
Nutritional Facts about Orange
- Calories – 47
- Water – 87 %
- Protein – 0.9 g
- Carbs – 11.8 g
- Sugar – 9.4 g
- Fiber – 2.4 g
- Fat – 0.1 g
- Saturated – 0.02 g
- Monounsaturated – 0.02 g
- Polyunsaturated – 0.03 g
- Omega-3 – 0.01 g
- Omega-6 – 0.02 g
- Trans fat 0 g
Oranges contain glucose, fructose and sucrose, which are types of sugar and they are the dominant form of carbohydrates present in orange. Also, the fruit is a good source of fiber. Pectin, cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin are the main fibers that we find in orange. One large orange (about 184 gm of weight) contains around 18% of the daily recommended intake of fiber.
Talking about the vitamins and minerals present in orange, this fruit comes with a good amount of vitamin C. Along with that, it also contains thiamin, folate and potassium etc.
Oranges also contain anti oxidants. These anti oxidants are bio-active plant compounds and are divided in to two categories – phenolics and carotenoids.
Orange in Different Indian Languages
- Santra in Hindi
- Santre in Marathi
- Kittale in Kannada
- Kichili Pazham in Tamil
- Kamala Lebu in Bengali
- Kamala Pandu in Telugu
I hope you loved learning about these facts about orange. Let us now discuss the main benefits of orange for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Orange for Skin
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Orange
Orange juice is a natural astringent, which helps to dry out existing acne and pimples. Topical application of orange juice also helps in pore shrinking and reduces the chance of getting blocked pores. Orange is high in anti oxidants, which help in neutralizing the free radicals and protect our skin from several damages including acne. These anti oxidants also help in protecting our skin from external pollution and harmful effects of sun damage, both of which can wreck havoc on our skin. The citric acid present in orange exfoliates the skin and unclog the pores, thus reducing chances of breakouts. The dietary fiber benefits of orange help in eliminating toxins from our body, which leads to clear skin.
How to use orange for acne control?
- Take some orange juice in a bowl. Apply it on the face with the help of a cotton ball and massage gently in circular motion. Let it dry naturally and rinse off with fresh water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Dry some orange peels and then grind the same to a powder. Add some water to the orange peel powder and prepare a paste. Apply it all over the face and wait till it gets dry. Wash off with plain water and repeat regularly.
- Take two tbsp of orange juice and add some multani mitti and a tbsp lemon juice. Mix everything well to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture all over the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash off and repeat twice in a week.
- Blend a handful of fresh neem leaves and add two tbsp orange juice and few drops of rose water to that. Mix everything together and apply on the face. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. Reapply thrice in a week.
2. Skin Whitening Benefits of Orange
Orange comes with a number of vitamins, which effectively help to boost our complexion. It comes with vitamin A, which increases blood flow to the skin surface and thus make skin look fair, bright and more even toned. Vitamin E benefits of orange help to fight off pigmentation as well as protect our skin from UV damage. However, the best benefits of orange for our skin come from vitamin C. Vitamin C is found aplenty in orange. Vitamin C has amazing skin whitening benefits. We know that accumulation of melanin makes our skin darker. Vitamin C helps in reducing how much melanin is produced by the melanocyte skin cells. It can inhibit tyrosinase enzyme, which is required to produce melanin. This in turn decreases the level of melanin produced by melanocyte skin cells, less amount of melanin means clearer skin.
Orange juice is a rich source of citric acid. It helps in deep cleansing the skin, removing stubborn sun tan and boosts our skin color.
How to use orange to whiten skin?
- Combine two tbsp fresh orange juice with a tbsp each of apple cider vinegar and honey. Apply it all over the face and massage gently. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Prepare a paste by mixing together one tbsp orange juice, a tsp rice flour and some honey. Apply it on the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. While washing off, massage in circular motions. Repeat twice in a week.
- Alternatively, add a pinch of saffron and turmeric powder to a tbsp of orange juice. Mix together and apply this on the face. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat once or twice every week.
3. Anti Aging Benefits of Orange
This is one of the best beauty benefits of orange. The high amount of vitamin C has to be credited for this. Vitamin C stimulates the production of collagen in our skin. Collagen is a type of protein, which is responsible for keeping our skin plump and young. As we age, the collagen level in our skin starts to decrease, which leads to wrinkles, fine lines and saggy skin. It has been proved that vitamin C, when applied topically, helps to increase collagen production. It does so by stimulating the activities of fibroblast skin cells. Fibroblast is the most common skin cell that produces collagen. By stimulating that, vitamin C increases the amount of collagen in our skin.
Along with vitamin C, oranges also contain vitamin E. Vitamin E benefits of orange also helps with anti aging. Vitamin E, a powerful anti oxidant, boosts new cell growth and protects skin from free radicals. It helps to delay the appearances of saggy skin, fine lines as well as wrinkles. Also this vitamin boosts the collagen production, which helps in maintaining our skin elasticity.
How to use orange for anti aging?
- Whisk one egg white in a bowl and add a tbsp orange juice, a tsp lemon juice and few drops of almond oil to that. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture on the skin. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mix together one tbsp each of green tea powder and orange peel powder. Add some honey and mix everything to prepare a paste. Apply this on the face, massaging gently in circular motion for few minutes. Leave it on the skin for another 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water and repeat the entire process once or twice in a week.
- Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf. Mix together one tbsp each of aloe vera gel and orange peel powder and few drops of rose water. Mix everything together and apply it all over the face. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with fresh water. Reapply 2-3 times in a week.
4. Oranges Give Glowing Skin
Here is one more reason to love orange. It comes loaded with several vitamins and anti oxidants, which work effectively to give you healthy and glowing skin. These vitamins add nourishment to the skin from deep inside and prevent it from getting dry, dull and dehydrated. Also they boost collagen production in the skin, maintain skin elasticity and prevent aging signs. The citric acid helps in removing the dirt and impurities from the top layer of the skin and restore the brighter complexion along with a natural glow.
How to use orange to get glowing skin?
- Blend some papaya cubes and prepare papaya pulp. Add some orange juice to that and mix them together. Apply the mixture on the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water and repeat twice in a week.
- Juice two oranges and pour the juice in an ice tray. Refrigerate until it forms ice cubes. Take out couple of orange ice cubes and rub it on the face. Do this daily to rejuvenate dull skin.
- Add 2 tbsp of orange juice and 2 tsp of lemon juice to a tsp of sugar. Mix thoroughly and use the mixture to exfoliate your face. Wash off with cold water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
5. Exfoliating Benefits of Orange
Orange peel powder works as a great natural exfoliant for our skin, thanks to its slightly coarse texture. It helps in getting rid of blackheads and whiteheads. Also it contains more amount of vitamin C than the fruit itself. Vitamin C helps to remove toxins from the skin. The citric acid present in orange also aids in exfoliation. Check out below how to use orange as a natural scrub.
Orange Face Scrub Recipes –
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder with a tbsp each of honey and orange peel powder. Mix together and apply it on the face and neck. Gently massage to exfoliate the skin. Let it sit for another 5-10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat twice in a week.
- Combine a tbsp each of orange peel powder, walnut powder and sandalwood powder. Add some rose water and make it a paste. Apply it on the face and neck and massage gently for exfoliation. Let it sit there for 5 minutes and wash off. Repeat twice in a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a DIY face scrub by combining 2 tbsp of fresh orange juice with a tbsp of baking soda and a tsp of honey. Gently rub the mixture on face and neck for couple of minutes and then wash off. Repeat regularly.
Benefits of Orange for Hair
After discussing the main benefits of orange for skin, let us find out what are the benefits of orange for hair.
6. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Orange
Orange is a great cure for stubborn dandruff, thanks to the high amount of vitamin C present in it. Dandruff can be the result of bacterial infection on the scalp. Vitamin C in orange fights off the bacteria on the scalp and removes dandruff as well as other impurities on the scalp. Vitamin C, due to its hydrating properties, helps in healing dry and itchy scalp.
How to use orange to get rid of dandruff?
- Add some orange juice to coconut oil and use the mixture to massage your scalp thoroughly. Wrap your hair in a hot, damp towel and wait for an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a DIY hair pack by mixing two tbsp of yogurt, one tbsp of orange juice and a tsp of honey. Apply this hair mask all over the scalp, massage gently and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
7. Stimulates Hair Growth
The anti oxidant benefits of orange play a major role in stimulating hair growth. Free radicals can often stop our hair growth. Enriched with anti oxidants, such as vitamin C and E, orange neutralizes the free radicals and boosts hair growth. Furthermore, the reduced level of collagen in our body is one of the main causes for lack of hair growth. Vitamin C, with its collagen boosting properties, helps in healthy hair growth. Also vitamin E aids in hair growth by stimulating blood circulation in the scalp. Vitamin E also helps in repairing damaged hair follicles. Also oranges contain folic acid, a type of vitamin B, which is vital for healthy hair growth.
Iron deficiency in our body can cause severe hair loss. Vitamin C has the ability to increase iron absorption by our body, thus recovering iron deficiency. This is another way that vitamin C helps to stops hair loss.
How to use orange to boost hair growth?
- Make a paste by adding some orange juice as well as lemon juice to amla powder. Apply it all over the scalp, gently massaging with your fingertips. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Regular consumption of orange juice is also beneficial for hair growth.
8. Hair Conditioning Benefits of Orange
Orange is a good source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is known for excellent deep conditioning properties for hair. It restores hair health by adding nourishment from within and also strengthens the hair strands. The hydrating properties of vitamin C also make orange an ideal natural hair conditioner.
How to use orange for hair conditioning?
- Add juice of an orange and a tsp honey to some water. Mix together and apply this on freshly washed hair. Keep it on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse off thoroughly. Repeat regularly.
- Add some orange juice to olive oil and massage your scalp with the mixture. Leave it on for an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
Health Benefits of Orange
9. Good for the Eyes
One of the major benefits of oranges for our health is its ability to improve vision. Any food, rich in vitamin A, actually helps in protecting our eye health. Orange, too, is a decent source of vitamin A, which help to protect the eyes from macular degeneration, cataracts and even blindness. Studies have proved that vitamin A contains the carotenoid compounds like lutein, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids help preventing age related macular degeneration. Furthermore, vitamin A keep the membranes surrounding the eyes healthy and help your eyes to absorb light in a better way. Also, this vitamin reduces the risk of night blindness.
10. Keeps Heart Healthy
The nutritional benefits of orange help to keep our heart healthy. Potassium is an important mineral which our heart requires for healthy functioning. Studies have shown that lack of potassium can negatively affect our heartbeat. Potassium, an electrolyte mineral, works with other electrolytes like calcium, magnesium and sodium and help in maintaining the required fluid levels inside our body. Perfect fluid balance ensures balanced flow of electricity through the body, which is essential for a steady heartbeat. Furthermore, oranges contain flavonoids, such as hesperidin helps to protect our heart. Oranges are a good source of fiber as well. Any food, rich in fiber, helps to decrease cholesterol levels in our blood, which further contribute to healthy heart.
11. Immunity Booster
The high amount of vitamin C present in orange has to be credited for this orange benefit. Free radicals in our body can weaken our immunity system, cause cellular damage and also lead to chronic diseases like cancer as well as heart diseases. Vitamin C helps in protecting our body cells by neutralizing the free radicals and strengthens our immunity system.
12. Prevents Anemia
Anemia is caused by deficiency of red blood cells or hemoglobin in our blood, which is the result of lack of iron in our body. Orange is a great source of vitamin C, which is well known for its ability to fight off anemia. It also contains citric acid which can prevent anemia. Both vitamin C and citric acid can increase the absorption of iron from our digestive tract, thus recovering iron deficiency and preventing anemia. This is one of the major benefits of orange for our health.
13. Mood Booster
Oranges, when used aromatherapeutically, can help in improving our mood. The wonderful citrusy aroma gives relief from anxiety and induces a sense of relaxation. Studies have shown that the flavonoids in orange can improve serotonin synthesis. Serotonin is the hormone which is responsible for the feeling of happiness, calm, relaxation.
14. Promotes Dental Health
The astringent benefits of orange juice make it a great natural remedy for dental problems, such as gum bleeding. It strengthens the blood vessels as well as the tissues that hold the gums and teeth. Moreover, the vitamin C in oranges has anti inflammatory benefits. It helps in reducing gum inflammation. Regular consumption of orange is beneficial to get rid of dental problems.
15. Prevent Kidney Stones
Oranges are great at preventing kidney stones. This fruit is a great source of citric acid and citrates, both of which can help to prevent the formation of kidney stones. Add orange to your daily diet and stay safe from kidney stones.
These were some of the best benefits of orange for our skin, hair and health. I hope you found this article useful, thanks for reading.