15 Wonderful Benefits of Honey for Skin, Hair and Health – Honey is popular all over the globe! Not only it has delectable taste, but honey comes with several medicinal properties. We will discuss some of those amazing Benefits of Honey for health and beauty here in this article. Records suggest, that honey has been used for past 2,500 years by many cultures. Honey is one of the most popular sweeteners and there are many recipes which are incomplete without using honey, like honey chilli potato, honey chicken etc. You can found several nutrients, like vitamins A and C, along with minerals like calcium and iron. Honey also has anti oxidant benefits and it comes with trace amounts of more than 15 amino acids! Check out all the Benefits of Honey for skin, hair and health below.
Check – Top 20 Benefits of Litchis or Lychees for Skin, Hair and Health
What is Honey?
Honey is a thick, golden liquid which is produced from the nectar of the flowers with the help of bees. Nectar is a sugary liquid which the bees extract from the flowers using their long tube like tongue and then, store that in their ‘extra stomach’. The nectar then gets mixed with enzymes present in the bee stomach, which cause changes in chemical composition of the liquid and it becomes more suitable for long-term storage.
Once the bee returns to the beehive, it then passes on the nectar to another bee by regurgitating process. This process continues until the nectar is deposited in the honeycomb. The nectar appears like a thin liquid while it is in the honeycomb. The bees then extract the water out of the liquid by fanning with their wings and speed up the evaporation process.
When most of the water has been evaporated and the vicious nectar turns little thick. The bees, then, release a liquid from their abdomen and seal the honeycomb, which hardens with time and turns into beeswax.
Once the beekeepers find that the honeycomb has been sealed by the bees, they take out the honey and then treat it with heating and filtering.
The color, taste, aroma as well as the texture of honey largely depends on the type of flower that the bee has extracted nectar from. Honey is produced in many countries across the world. In 2016, China was the leading honey producer followed by Turkey, US, Russia, India and Ukraine.
Types of Honey
Honey is available in different types –
- Manuka (considered the best)
- Clover (unique honey from lavender field)
- Orange Blossom
Honey in Different Languages
- Shahad in Hindi
- Madhu in Bengali
- Madh in Gujarati and Marathi
- Jenu in Kannada
- Then in Tamil
- Thean in Malaylam
- Thene in Telugu
Honey Nutritional Facts
The distinct sweetness of honey comes from monosaccharides fructose and glucose. It has the same kind of sweetness which we found in sucrose or granulated sugar. Raw honey is considered pure as it does not go through the filtering and heating process by the beekeepers.
- One tbsp of raw honey contains 64 calories. Raw honey is fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free. It is approximately 80% carbohydrates, 18% water and 2% vitamins, minerals and amino acids. One tbsp of raw honey contains 17 gm of carbohydrates, 16 of which are sugars.
- Raw honey is rich in vitamins such as – thiamine (vitamin B1), niacin (vitamin B3), riboflavin (vitamin B2) and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), etc. It also contains minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc, etc.
- Raw honey is also rich in antioxidants, which is found in the form of polyphenols.
So, this was a brief discussion about honey and its nutritional facts. Now we will talk about all the benefits of honey for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Honey for Skin
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Honey
This is the most important beauty benefits of honey. Honey comes with anti bacterial as well as anti inflammatory properties. It can destroy the acne causing bacteria effectively, specially P.acne bacteria, which is responsible for acne formation. The anti inflammatory properties of honey can reduce the swelling and redness caused by acne. Another reason that makes honey best for acne treatment is due to its osmotic effect. It absorbs moisture from the clogged pores and release hydrogen peroxide, which is a great anti septic. Hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria present in the clogged pores and gives relief from acne. The sebum controlling benefits of honey is helpful to control acne breakouts. Furthermore, the anti oxidants benefits of honey fight off the free radicals and prevent breakouts caused by them.
How to use honey for acne control?
- Mix together honey and cinnamon powder in 1:1 ratio. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face, giving special attention to the acne prone parts. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat regularly.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing two tbsp honey with some multani mitti. Apply the paste on the face and wait till it gets dry naturally. Wash off with fresh water and reapply twice in a week.
- In a bowl, take a tbsp of honey and add a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Also add some rose water and mix all the ingredients nicely. Spread a layer of the paste all over the skin and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh, cool water and repeat regularly.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Honey
Honey comes with amazing anti aging properties. It is a great natural moisturizer and along with that it has humectant properties, which work together to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized and preserve its youthfulness. Furthermore, honey has multiple anti oxidants in it, such as – chrysin, pinobanksin, catalase, pinocembrin. Honey has six vitamins in it, specially vitamin B and potassium in it which help to enhance skin’s natural elasticity and keep away aging. Also the presence of minerals like, zinc and selenium, organic acids, specially gluconic acid as well as 18-20 amino acids in honey makes it a potent anti aging agent. Moreover, honey exfoliates our skin and removes the dead skin cells, which leads to cell regeneration and prevent wrinkle formation.
How to use honey for anti aging?
- Put some flaxseed in a grinder to make flaxseed powder. Take 2-3 tbsp of plain yogurt and add two tsp honey and half tsp flaxseed powder to it. Mix all the ingredients together and apply the resultant mixture all over the face and neck. Let it sit on the skin for 20-30 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Put few ripe banana slices in a blender and prepare banana pulp. Add two tbsp yogurt to that and also add two tsp honey to that. Mix together until it forms a smooth paste. Apply the face pack all over the face and neck and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat once in a week.
- The combination of egg white and honey works miraculously to reverse the effects of aging. Take one egg white and whisk it so that it turns fluffy. Add one tbsp honey and two tsp besan to the egg white and mix the ingredients together. Apply a thick layer of the face pack on the face and neck. Let it dry naturally and wash off with fresh water. Repeat once in a week.
3. Reduces Acne Scars
Next on our list of best beauty benefits of honey comes this one. Honey has amazing healing properties for damaged skin cells. The osmotic effect of honey releases hydrogen peroxide, which not only kills the acne causing bacteria, but also helps to fade away scars. The anti septic benefits of honey reduces the severity of breakouts, which leads to less scarring. The moisturizing properties of honey keeps the skin healthy, soft and smooth and accelerates healing process. Also the vitamins and minerals present in honey help the skin to recover fast. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of honey contribute significantly to repair damaged cells.
How to use honey to fade away acne scars?
- Put a medium sized tomato to a blender and prepare tomato pulp. Add in a tbsp honey to it and mix together. Apply the mixture on clean face. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Mix honey and fresh lemon juice in 1:1 ratio. Apply the mixture on thoroughly cleansed face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Once it gets dry, spritz the skin with some luke warm water and massage gently in circular motions. Finally rinse off with cool water and repeat daily.
- Extract juice from one medium sized grated potato. Mix it with a tsp of honey. Apply the mixture on the face and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and reapply every alternate day.
- Mix together raw honey and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Apply the mixture all over the face and massage gently in a circular motion for two minutes. Cover your face with a hot washcloth and wait til it cools off. Do this daily.
4. Softens Dry Skin
Here comes another great honey benefits for our skin. Honey is a natural humectant, which means it can draw moisture from the environment and locks it in the skin. This way, it ensures less moisture loss from the skin and prevents dryness. Moreover, the natural enzymes along with the nutrients and anti oxidants help in removing the dry skin cell and smoothen the texture of the skin. The anti oxidants reduce the oxidative stress on the skin cells, thus preventing dry skin. Also the anti inflammatory properties make honey very soothing for dry skin.
How to use honey to moisturize dry skin?
- Prepare papaya pulp by blending 1/4 cup of ripe papaya cubes. To that add one tbsp of honey and mix together. Apply the mixture all over the face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water and reapply every alternate day.
- Mix together one tsp aloe vera gel, one tsp milk and half tsp honey. Apply the resultant mixture on the face. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat regularly.
- In a bowl take two tbsp milk, one tsp honey and 1-2 tsp of crushed almonds. Mix together and apply on the face. Gently massage the face for 5 minutes and let it sit for 10 more minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat once in a week.
5. Deep Cleansing Benefits of Honey
Honey acts as a great exfolitor and removes every trace of dirt, dead skin cells and impurities from the face without stripping the natural oils. The natural enzymes present in honey help to dissolve the pore build up and thus unclog pores.
How to use honey for deep cleansing?
- Take some honey on your palm and warm it up slightly by rubbing your palms together. Apply it on the face. If required, add some water for easy spreading. Massage gently for a minute or two and rinse off with luke warm water. Repeat daily.
- Make a paste by mixing two tsp honey with one tsp baking soda. Apply that on damp skin and massage gently in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes. Rinse with fresh water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Prepare one serving of oatmeal following the instruction given on the packaging. Remove from heat and add in two tbsp raw honey. Mix together and wait till it reaches room temperature. Apply it on the face, massage gently and then allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Once it starts to get dry, rinse off with fresh water. Repeat once in a week.
6. Acts as a Complexion Booster
Honey is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. When applied topically, honey penetrates deep into the skin, nourishes the skin cells and leads to glowing complexion. Moreover, the anti oxidant benefits of honey reduce oxidative stress on the skin cells and make them healthy. Also the exfoliating properties of honey remove the dead skin cells and boost our complexion.
How to use honey to enhance complexion?
- Combine equal amount of fresh lemon juice and organic honey. Add few saffron strands to that as well. Mix together everything and apply it on the face. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with plain water. Repeat once in a week.
- Add some organic honey to two tbsp of besan and make a paste. Apply it all over the face and massage gently. Let it dry naturally and then, wash off with luke warm water. Reapply twice or thrice in a week.
- Take one tsp honey and mix it with two tsp fresh, plain yogurt. Mix together and apply it on the face. Wait for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
Benefits of Honey For Hair
7. Hair Conditioning Benefits of Honey
The natural emollient properties of honey makes it an incredible natural hair conditioner. When used on hair, honey makes our hair super soft and smooth. Also, honey has humectant properties which help in locking moisture in our hair strands and prevent moisture loss, thus, keeping the hair well moisturized and hydrated.
How to use honey as a conditioner?
Take half cup of honey and add two tbsp of olive oil to that. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds to allow them mix together. Apply it all over the hair from root to tips and wait for 30 minutes before washing off everything with a shampoo. Repeat at least twice in a week.
8. Boosts Scalp Health and Promotes Hair Growth
Honey has important hair benefits and one of them is its ability to boost hair growth. Honey is a storehouse of various vitamins and minerals which help to provide nourishment to the resting hair follicles and rejuvenate them. The natural humectant benefits of honey prevent moisture loss from the scalp which also play a vital role in curbing hair loss and promoting hair growth. The anti septic and anti bacterial benefits of honey protect the scalp from infections and psoriasis, and keep the scalp clean and healthy. Being a natural emollient, honey adds strength to our hair follicles and supports healthy hair growth.
How to use honey to promote hair growth?
Take one ripe avocado, cut it in half and remove the seed. Mash the avocado nicely with the back of a fork, and add 2-3 tbsp of honey to that. Mix together until you get a lump-free mixture. Apply that all over the scalp and hair and wait for 20 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
9. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Honey
If dandruff is your primary hair concern, then use honey. Yes, honey can fight off dandruff and prevents future occurrence of dandruff as well. The anti septic and anti bacterial benefits of honey can be attributed to for its dandruff fighting ability. Moreover, honey can exfoliate and deeply cleanse the scalp and unclog hair follicles. And, the moisturizing benefits of honey keep the scalp moisturized and prevent dryness, which is often the major cause behind getting dandruff.
How to use honey to remove dandruff?
In a bowl, beat two eggs and add in half cup of honey. Mix together and apply the resultant mixture on the scalp as well as on the length of the hair. Massage gently and keep it on for 40 minutes to an hour, before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat at least once in a week.
Health Benefits of Honey
10. Reduces Cholesterol Levels
Honey has no cholesterol, and moreover, honey has the ability to increase the level of good cholesterol in our body. Studies have shown, that consuming 70 gm of honey for 30 days can result in 3% reduction in bad cholesterol levels. The anti oxidant benefits of honey can be attributed for this. The anti oxidants fight off the free radicals and protect our body against damage.
11. Strengthens Immunity System
This is another major health benefits of honey. Honey is a natural anti oxidant. Along with that, the anti bacterial properties of honey work effectively to protect our body from various diseases caused by virus and bacteria. According to scientists, buckwheat honey has the maximum amount of anti oxidants present in it. Consuming honey every morning along with your breakfast is a great way to enjoy all the honey benefits for our health.
12. Boosts Brain Health
Many of us are not aware of this, but daily consumption of honey (in moderate amount) actually improves our brain function. Honey helps to reduce metabolic stress which in turn, helps to relax and calm down the brain. This way, it boosts our brain health. Also, the anti oxidants and therapeutic benefits of honey improve blood circulation to the brain and keep the cells nourished to reduce the chances of memory loss.
13. Faster Healing of Wounds
Applying honey on the wounds can speed up its healing process, according to the findings of several studies. Honey has anti bacterial properties that destroy the bacteria present on open wounds and aids in healing. Moreover, its anti oxidant properties reduces the risk of scarring and any deformity of the joints. Honey speeds up the healing process of the wounds by stimulating the tissues as well as keeping the area moisturized.
14. Fights Off Insomnia
Honey has been used to treat insomnia since ages. All you need to do is to add a tsp of honey to a glass of warm milk and drink it up just before going to bed at night. This will induce sleep naturally.
15. Treats Sinus
This is another major honey benefits for health. It is a great natural treatment for sinus infection. The anti bacterial, anti viral and anti septic properties of honey help to destroy the bacteria that causes sinus infection. It has anti inflammatory properties which also play a vital role in giving relief from sinus problems.
Simply boil a cup of water and add two tsp ACV to that. Remove from heat and let it reach room temperature. Add a tbsp honey and stir well. Drink this thrice in a day to get relief.
These were the major health and beauty benefits of honey that we all should know. Hope you liked the article, thanks for reading 🙂