15 Surprising Benefits of Cumin for Skin, Hair and Health – Cumin seeds, or more commonly known as Jeera, is a kitchen staple in Indian household. It is also one of the most common spices used in Indian curry and other dishes. Indian cuisine is known for using some of the most traditional and healthy spices, and cumin is one among them. Not only in Indian cuisine, but cumin seeds plays an important role in Mexican, Tex-Mex as well as Middle Eastern cuisine where cumin powder is a key component of curry powder. But cumin is much more than a spice to add flavor to our meals, it has several health boosting properties. Furthermore, cumin seeds is also good for our skin and hair. Keep on reading to find out some amazing benefits of cumin or jeera.
Check – Marigold Face Packs to get Fair Skin at Home
Before we move onto the benefits of cumin seeds for health and beauty, lets first find out some of the main characteristics of this very popular spice.
What is Cumin
Cumin seeds, scientifically known as Cuminum cyminum, is a member of the parsley family. The plant is native to China, India, Middle East and Mediterranean region. The fruit of the plant is known as cumin seeds and it is a very popular spice across the globe. In fact, cumin seeds have striped pattern of nine ridges and oil canals. They are dark brown in color and also have tiny hairs which are not visible in naked eyes. The boat shaped seeds are often mistaken as caraway seeds. Cumin seeds resemble caraway seeds in appearance, but larger in size, darker in color and also hotter to taste.
Check – How to use Turmeric for Skin Whitening
The spicy-sweet aroma and the powerful flavor of cumin has made it one of the main ingredients of those cuisines which are known for highly spiced foods. Cumin is extensively used in Indian, Eastern, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Portuguese cuisine. It is one of the main ingredients of curry powder. Normally we fry or roast the cumin seeds before using them in cooking. Furthermore, cumin powder is also available, which is prepared by grounding the seeds to brownish-green powder.
The most commonly used cumin seeds are brown in color, however black cumin seeds are also available which features a much higher concentration of oil. Black cumin seeds are known as ‘Kalo jeerey’ in Bengali and it has a powerful, slightly bitter flavor.
Cumin Seed in different languages
- Jeera in Hindi
- Jilkara in Telugu
- Jeeragam in Tamil
- Jeerakam in Malayalam
- Jeeru in Gujrati
- Jeerige in Kannada
- Jeerey in Bengali
- Jeere in Marathi
Now lets find out what are the benefits of cumin seeds for our health and beauty and different ways to use it.
Benefits of Cumin Seed for Health
It is considered as a good source of minerals, like iron, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium etc. It also contains several vitamins, such as Vitamin A, C, E, B6 as well as essential amino acids.
15 Surprising Benefits of Cumin for Skin, Hair and Health
Here is the list of some amazing Cumin benefits according to scientific studies and research.
- Jeera Seeds Improves Digestion
- Cancer Prevention with Jeera Seeds
- Keep the Immune System Healthy with Jeera
- Jeera Treats Insomnia
- Treat Asthma and Bronchitis with Jeera
- Treat Constipation with Jeera
- Jeera has Anti Aging Benefits
- Treat Skin Disorders with Jeera Seeds
- Jeera Seed Helps in Treatment of Boils
- Jeera for Glowing Skin
- Nourish Your Skin with Jeera Seeds
- Jeera to Treat Hair Loss
- Jeera to Treat Dandruff
- Get Long Hair with Jeera Seeds
- Jeera for Shiny Hair
1. Cumin Seed Improves Digestion
Why to use jeera for digestion
According to certain researches, cumin also helps to stimulate the production of pancreatic enzymes and helps digestion. Studies have shown that cumin seeds contain a number of active compounds including thymol, which stimulates your salivary glands, enzymes as well as bile – all of these are involved in food digestion. It also has a carminative effect, which means cumin helps to relieve gas in the stomach and intestines and helps in digestion.
How to use jeera for better digestion
Add 1 tbsp of cumin seeds to a cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Strain the water and have it three times a day to boost your digestive system.
2. Cancer Prevention with Cumin Seed
Why to use cumin seed to prevent cancer
Scientific researches have shown that cumin seeds may also have anti-carcinogenic properties, which means it can prevent the risk of developing cancer. In one study, cumin was shown to protect the laboratory animals from developing stomach or liver tumors. Cumin seeds contain thymoquinone, dithymoquinone, thymohydroquinone and thymol, all of which are anti carcinogenic agents.
3. Keep the Immune System Healthy with Jeera
Why to use cumin for healthy immune system
Called as Jeeragam in tamil, it is a rich source of iron. This is one such mineral that plays a vital role in the functioning of our body. Its an important component of hemoglobin that carries oxygen from the lungs to all our body cells. Iron is also a vital part of our body’s metabolism. It also keeps our immune system healthy. In fact, Iron is also helpful to treat anemia. It is an essential mineral for menstruating women, growing children and adolescents as well as women who are pregnant or lactating.
4. Jeera Treats Insomnia
Why to use jeera for insomnia
This is considered as one of the peculiar properties of Jilkara which is cumin seeds in telugu. It is a stimulant as well as acts as a relaxant. Studies have shown that proper intake of vitamin B complex and a good digestion is important for sound sleep. Some of the components of jeera have tranquilizing effects, which helps to relieve stress and anxiety and sleep better.
How to use jeera to treat insomnia
Combine together half tbsp of jeera powder and 1 tbsp of mashed banana. Consume this paste every night before going to bed to enjoy a sound sleep.
5. Treat Asthma and Bronchitis with Jeera
Why to use jeera for asthma and bronchitis
The presence of rich aromatic essential oil and caffeine make Jilkara which is cumin seeds in telugu, an ideal anti congestive ingredient for those suffering from asthma and bronchitis. It also helps to loosen up the phlegm and mucus accumulated in the respiratory tracts as well as works to eliminate those from our body by sneezing or coughing and spitting. Jeera also contain thymoquinone, which has anti inflammatory properties that helps to get relief from asthma.
Check – How To Get Fair and Glowing Skin With Simple Homemade Fruit Face Packs
How to use jeera to treat asthma
Add a tbsp of jeera seed to a glass of water. Add some chopped ginger to this. Bring it to boil. Strain the water and have this twice or thrice a day to get relief from asthma and cold.
6. Treat Constipation with Jeera
Why to use jeera to cure constipation
One of the main health benefits of jeera is its ability to treat constipation. The seeds are rich in fiber content, which stimulates the enzyme secretion in the gastrointestinal tract. The powerful laxative properties of jeeragam which is cumin seeds in tamil, help to cure several digestive tract disorders, such as piles and constipation.
How to use jeera to cure constipation
Roast 1 tbsp of jeera seeds till they turn deep brown and then grind them into a fine powder. Mix the powder with water and honey and have it on an empty stomach everyday to get rid of constipation.
Benefits of Jeera for Skin
Not only loaded with health benefits, jeera seed is also very much beneficial for our skin due to its medicinal value. Some of the Jeera benefits for our skin are as follows.
7. Jeera has Anti Aging Benefits
Why to use jeera for anti aging
This is one of the best benefits of cumin seed for our skin. It contains a high amount of vitamin E which is an antioxidant that fights free radicals and prevent signs of aging like wrinkles, saggy skin, age spots, etc. Regular intake of jeera or jeeragam which is cumin seeds in tamil helps our body to get enough amount of vitamin A, C and E, all of these are very much beneficial in preventing early aging. Drinking jeera water regularly also helps to combat aging.
8. Treat Skin Disorders with Cumin Seed
Why to use jeera to treat skin disorders
The high amount of vitamin E in jeerige which is cumin seeds in kannada, helps to keep our skin healthy and problem free. Also the essential oil present in jeera seed has anti fungal and antibacterial properties, which protect our skin from infections and other skin disorders.
How to use jeera to treat skin disorders
- Topical application of jeera helps to get rid of pimples, acne, eczema, psoriasis, etc. For acne, you can add some rose water with cumin powder to make a paste and apply it on to the affected area. Alternatively, you can simply add a dash of cumin powder in any face pack to treat skin disorders.
- Another way to get rid of acne and pimples is by using anti acne toner made from jeera. Boil some jeera in water, remove from heat and let the water cool down. Use this water as anti acne toner.
- You can also massage your skin with few drops of essential oil like tea tree oil or lavender oil and cumin water to get acne free skin.
9. Cumin Seed Helps in Treatment of Boils
Why to use cumin seed to treat boils
Boils on our skin indicates accumulation of some toxic substances inside our body. Jeeragam called in tamil, is a very effective natural treatment for boils. It contains a good amount of detoxifying agent such as cuminaldehyde, thymol and phosphorus.
Check – 7 Best Drink Juice to get Strong and Beautiful Hair
How to use jeera in treatment of boils
- Adding cumin powder or cumin seed to our daily meals helps to keep our skin free from boils. Also regular consumption of jeera tea or jeera water keeps our skin healthy and free from boils and rashes.
- Alternatively, make a fine paste with black jeera powder and water and apply it onto the boils for faster relief.
10. Jeera for Glowing Skin
Why to use jeera for glowing skin
Jilkara called in telugu, contains high amounts of potassium, selenium, copper, calcium and manganese which help in rejuvenating our skin. Topical application of jeera also helps to regulate sebum glands ad give a naturally glowing complexion. You can make various face packs using its powder to get glowing skin.
How to use jeera to get glowing skin
- Simple jeera face pack – Take ground turmeric and cumin powder in 3:1 ratio and add some water to make it a paste. Apply it onto the face, let it sit for some time and wash off. Follow up with a moisturizer.
- Jeera peel off mask – Combine together turmeric powder and jeera powder in 3:1 ratio and use honey to make a paste. Apply to the face and wait till it dries up completely. Peel it off gently and wash the skin. This peel off mask, when used regularly, gives smooth and glowing skin.
- Jeera face pack for acne prone skin – If you have irritated, sunburned or acne prone skin, then this face pack is ideal for you. Take turmeric powder and a pinch of jeera powder and add some yogurt. Make it a paste and apply all over the face. Let it sit for some time and wash off with plain water. Don’t forget to moisturize afterwards.
- Jeera face toner – Boil some jeera in water and use the water as your face toner regularly. This will give you clear and glowing skin.
11. Nourish Your Skin with Cumin Seed
Why to use jeera seed for skin nourishment
Jeera or jeeragam, which is cumin seeds in tamil is very helpful in providing much needed nourishment to our skin. We have already seen that jeera is very beneficial for our digestive system. And food and its digestion has lot to do with the nourishment for our skin. Face Packs, face masks and serums won’t do the job alone, you need to be careful about the food you eat in order to have a healthy, glowing and problem free skin.
How to nourish our skin with jeera
Regular intake of jeera water helps to boost our digestive system. It also aids in proper digestion of food, which allows our skin to absorb all the essential nutrients present in our food. Furthermore, it results in healthy and glowing skin.
Benefits of Jeera for Hair
We have already discussed some of the amazing benefits of jeerige which is cumin seeds in Kannada, for our skin and health. Let’s now find out how jeera can benefit our hair.
12. Jeera to Treat Hair Loss
Why to use jeera to treat hair loss
Black cumin seeds are extremely beneficial for our hair. It contains more than 100 nutrients as well as vitamins that help to fight thinning of hair, baldness as well as hair loss.
How to use jeera to treat hair loss
- Mix equal quantities of black cumin oil and olive oil. After taking bath, apply this oil mix on the entire scalp and hair or only to the bald portion of the scalp. This will arrest hair fall as well as promote new hair growth.
- Also consume black cumin oil capsule for few months for better result.
13. Jeera to Treat Dandruff
Why to use cumin to treat dandruff
The oil present in jeerige which is cumin seeds in kannada, is a great anti oxidant, stimulant and has been used for scalp treatments to get rid of dandruff.
How to use jeera to get rid of dandruff
- You can add some jilkara which is cumin seeds in telugu, in any hair oil that you are using. Slightly warm up the oil and massage it all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on overnight and wash off with a mild shampoo next day.
- Alternatively, boil a few teaspoons of cumin seeds in 2-3 liters of water. Strain the seeds away and then bring the water to room temperature. Use this jeera water to wash and then rinse your hair to get rid of dandruff. This can be used for both oily and dry scalp.
14. Get Long Hair with Cumin Seed
Why to use cumin seed to get long hair
Cumin seed, specially black cumin seed, is a great natural remedy for hair growth. It contains some essential nutrients and vitamins which enable healthy hair growth and also improves the overall health of our hair.
How to use jeera to get long hair
Boil 2 tbsp of black cumin seeds in 3/4th cup of water for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool down a bit. Using a strainer, separate the jeera seeds from the water. To this black cumin water, add 1 raw egg yolk and then mix well to get a creamy mixture. You can also add a tsp of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture. Now massage it all over the scalp. Wear a shower cap and then wait for an hour. Wash off with water or use a mild shampoo if required.
This hair treatment, when done every week, delivers great results.
15. Jeera for Shiny Hair
Why to use jeera to get shiny hair?
Jilkara, which is cumin seeds in telugu, can also give us shiny lustrous locks. Furthermore, the rich amount of minerals and vitamins present in jeera helps to nourish our hair roots and add a shine to our hair. Here is a simple hair pack containing jeera that you can use to get shiny hair.
How to use jeera to get shiny hair
- Soak a few jeera seeds overnight and then grind it to a fine paste the next day. Add an egg (both the white and egg yolk) and also whisk the mixture well. Apply this pack to your hair and then leave it on for 15-30 minutes. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Also, regular consumption of jeera water can give you healthy, silky and shiny locks.
These were 15 amazing benefits of jeera, as we commonly say, for our health, hair as well as skin. Besides these there are some more benefits of this amazing spice that, I think, we all should know. Below you will find out few more benefits.
Other Benefits of Jeera
Jeera is Good for Pregnant Women
Jeerige, called in Kannada, is a great spice for pregnant ladies. It helps to give relief from constipation and indigestion during pregnancy. Moreover, jeera also aids in dealing with pregnancy symptoms like nausea and constipation. It aids in better delivery as well as enhance lactation.
Check – 6 Tips to Rock Pregnancy Fashion
How to use jeera for pregnant women
Add half tbsp of cumin powder and a tbsp of honey to a glass of warm milk. Mix well and then have it everyday to reap the benefits of jeera during pregnancy.
Jeera aids in weight loss
Obesity is one of the main health problems in today’s world. How good it would be to find a solution, like jeera, that you can have in numerous ways! Jeerige, called in kannada, acts as a powerful antioxidant and increases our metabolism rate, which in turn, helps to burn calories and cut down unwanted fat. Furthermore, you can lose your belly fat by eating cumin regularly for 20 days. Your overall body weight can also reduce after eating cumin on daily basis.
How to use jeera to reduce weight
Take 2 tbsp of jeera seeds and soak it in water overnight. Next morning, boil the water and have this as a replacement for your morning tea. Do not throw away the soaked seeds, chew them. In fact doing this regularly will help you to cut down fat from your body. The same remedy also regulate your bowel movement and treats constipation.
Take Jeera to get relief from Nausea
The anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti inflammatory properties of jeera seeds make it a great natural remedy to treat nausea.
How to use jeera to treat nausea
Add some jeera seeds and a pinch of salt to a tsp of lemon juice and have it to get rid of the uneasiness associated with nausea.
Use Jeera to Ward Off Itchy Skin
Moreover, the anti fungal and powerful anti bacterial properties helps to get rid of itchiness on the skin. Here is how you can use jeera to get rid of itchy skin –
Boil some jeera in water for 15-20 minutes and let it cool down. Then use this water to take bath to say good bye to the itchiness on the skin. It also helps to cure rashes. You can also wash your hands with this water to get rid of itchy hands.
Check – How to use Pomegranate to get Flawless Skin
This was all about the benefits of jeera or cumin seeds for our health and beauty. Hope you found the post helpful 🙂