20 Wonderful Benefits of Cucumber for Skin, Hair and Health – Cucumber is one of the best fruits for our health, specially during summer. Here in this article, I am going to talk about all the benefits of cucumber for health and beauty. The high water content in cucumber helps us stay hydrated in harsh summer, and also provides our body with a number of essential nutrients, such as Vitamin A, C, K as well as folic acid, Thiamine, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc etc. In fact, cucumbers are low in calorie, fats, cholesterol as well as sodium. So you can already see that the humble looking, light green colored fruit is packed with health benefits. Check out the amazing benefits of cucumber for skin, hair and health below.
Check – 12 Amazing Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes using Cucumber
Before we start listing out all the wonderful benefits of cucumber for beauty and health, lets first check out the facts about cucumber below.
Facts about Cucumber
- Cucumbers come from Cucurbitaceae family, along with zucchini, watermelon, pumpkin, and other types of summer squash.
- The scientific name of cucumber is Cucumis sativas.
- Cucumber is a cylindrical shaped fruit with light to dark green colored skin and inside, the flesh is rich in water with tiny seeds in it.
- Cucumbers are grown in different varieties. ‘Sliced cucumber’ is the most common type of cucumber which is usually eaten fresh by including them in salad or sandwiches. ‘Gherkin cucumber’ is a special type of cucumber that is grown to make pickles. The ‘Gherkin’ variety is usually smaller in size than the ‘Sliced’ ones. There is another variety of cucumber known as ‘burpless’, which is grown in greenhouses. They are seedless and longer in size than the rest of the varieties.
- In the ancient civilization of Greece, Egypt and Rome, the uses of cucumber was not only limited to being a food, but it was popular for its cooling and soothing effect on the skin as well.
- Cucumber is very popular in Indian diet as well as Mediterranean diet. It has been found that cucumbers originated in India almost 10,000 years ago.
Cucumber in Different Languages
- Kheera in Hindi
- Dosakaya in Telugu
- Kakkarikkari in Tamil
- Kakdi in Gujarati
- Kani Vellarikka in Malayalam
- Sosha in Bengali
- Tar in Punjabi
Nutritional Facts about Cucumber
- 49.52 g of water
- 8 calories
- 0.34 g of protein
- 0.06 g of fat
- 1.89 g of carbohydrate (0.9 g of fiber and 0.87 g of sugar)
- 8 mg of calcium
- 0.15 mg of iron
- 7 mg of magnesium
- 12 mg of phosphorus
- 76 mg of potassium
- 1 mg of sodium
- 1.5 mg of vitamin C
- 4 mcg of folate
- 8.5 micrograms of vitamin K
Apart from all these, cucumbers also contain Vitamin B6, Vitamin A as well as riboflavin, Thiamin and niacin.
Wonderful Benefits of Cucumber for Skin, Hair and Health
Now, that we have got a fair idea about origin and nutritional value of cucumber, lets get started with the benefits of cucumber for our skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Cucumber for Skin
1. Removes Sun Tan
So, we are going to start this list of best benefits of cucumber with this one. Sun tan is a major skin care concern, specially during summer. But when you have a couple of cucumbers handy, no need to worry. Cucumber contains Vitamin C which offers skin lightening benefits. The mild bleaching properties of cucumber also come handy to get rid of sun tan and any other type of skin discoloration.
Check – 14 Surprising Home Remedies to Remove Sun Tan
How to use cucumber to remove sun tan
- You can grate a cucumber and then extract the juice from grated cucumber. Keep it in the refrigerator for some time. Take out the chilled cucumber juice and apply it on the affected parts of the skin. Let it sit there for 15-20 minutes and then wash off. Do this regularly or every alternate day for best results.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of cucumber juice and lemon juice to get rid of sun tan. Add 3 tbsp cucumber juice to a tbsp of lemon juice. Mix together and apply on the affected parts of the skin with a cotton ball. Keep it on the skin for 15 minutes and rinse off with plain water.
2. Rejuvenates and Revitalizes Skin
This is one of the biggest benefits of cucumber for our skin. Cucumber contains 96% of water that helps to keep our skin moisturized and hydrated. Apart from that, cucumber is loaded with other nutrients such as Vitamin A, K, Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, zinc, sulfate etc which work together to nourish the skin from inside and make the skin fresh and healthy.
How to use cucumber to revitalize the skin
- A combination of cucumber and aloe vera gel is a great way to soothe and rejuvenate skin. Take half of a cucumber, peel and cut it into small pieces. Puree them in a blender and add 2 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel to that. Mix together and then apply it all over the face and neck. Relax and keep it on the skin for at least 15 minutes. Use fresh, cool water to wash off.
- Alternatively, you can mix together 1 tbsp each of fresh cucumber juice and mint juice. Apply it all over the face and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Your skin will instantly feel fresh and look glowing.
3. Keeps Acne at Bay
If you are troubled with acne and nothing so far has produced the result that you want, give cucumber a try. Firstly, cucumber juice has astringent properties. It cleanses the pores and helps in pore tightening, which in turn, leads to less breakouts. Plus, it contains Vitamin C which plays a big role in controlling acne and pimples. Furthermore, cucumber contains zinc which also has acne control properties. And, the anti inflammatory benefits of cucumber help to soothe irritated skin and eliminate acne and blemishes. Last, but not the least, the anti oxidant benefits of cucumber fight off free radicals and give us a healthy skin.
How to use cucumber to control acne
- Take some fresh cucumber juice in a bowl. Add tomato pulp and apple cider vinegar to that in 1:1 ratio. Mix well and apply this face mask all over the face. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and use luke warm water to wash off.
- Alternatively, combine aloe vera gel and cucumber juice in 1:1 ratio. Add few drops of tea tree oil or lavender essential oil. Mix everything well and then apply it evenly on the face. Wait for 15 minutes and wash off with plain water.
4. Treats Puffy Eyes
Cucumber is the best natural remedy for puffy eyes. Puffy eyes are often the result of fluid retention. Cucumbers contain ascorbic acid and caffeic acid which are very effective to restrict the fluid retention under the eyes and thus reduce the puffiness. The astringent benefits of cucumber also increases skin elasticity and prevent puffiness under the eyes. The high amount of anti oxidants and flavonoids present in cucumber help to soothe inflammation and bring down the puffiness. Furthermore, the soothing and cooling benefits of cucumber reduce irritation and rejuvenate tired eyes.
How to use cucumber to get rid of puffy eyes
- Take a medium sized cucumber, cut it in few slices and put the slices inside the refrigerator for at least an hour. Take them out and place the chilled cucumber slices on top of your closed eyes and rest for 15-20 minutes. Remove the slices and pat dry the eyes. Repeat twice a day to reduce the puffiness under the eyes.
- Combine cucumber juice and rose water in 1:1 ratio. Soak a cotton ball in that and place them on top of your closed eyes, in such a way that it covers the puffy part under your eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Repeat thrice in a day for desired result.
5. Soothes Dry Skin
One of the major benefits of cucumber is its ability to soothe dry skin. Cucumber contains 96% water which helps to keep the skin hydrated. The Vitamin C and the caffeic acid in cucumber heals dry skin. The fruit also comes packed with nutrients like potassium, sulfate, vitamin A, C and K which all work together to soothe dry skin. Moreover, cucumber helps to get relief from the itchiness associated with dry skin, thanks to its cooling and soothing properties. Cucumber also contains silica which is beneficial in maintaining skin elasticity.
Check – Easy Ways to Remove Blackheads on Nose
How to use cucumber to soothe dry skin
- Cut half of a cucumber into small cubes. Put the cucumber cubes in the blender and add a tbsp of almond butter. Blend together to prepare smooth paste. Spread an even layer of the face mask all over the face. Keep it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with plain water.
- Peel a small cucumber and cut it into small pieces. Make cucumber pulp using a blender and add two tbsp yogurt to that. Mix together and then make a paste. Apply this all over the face and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to rinse off.
6. Gives Relief from Sunburn
Cucumber not only removes sun tan, but it also is very effective in giving relief from sunburn. Cucumber contains a high amount of water and other nutrients like potassium, sulfate and vitamin A, K as well as Vitamin C that soothes sunburn effectively. Vitamin C and caffeic acid in cucumber is very beneficial to heal inflammation and irritation that accompanies sunburn.
How to use cucumber to soothe sunburn
Take one cucumber and cut it in small slices. Put them in a blender and make cucumber pulp. Now apply this cucumber pulp on the sunburned part of the skin and let it sit for as long as you want. Wash off with fresh cold water. Repeat daily. Alternatively, you can extract the juice from cucumber pulp and then apply that directly on the affected parts of the skin.
7. Skin Tightening Benefits of Cucumber
Cucumber contains silica, which is very beneficial when it comes to tightening saggy skin. The Vitamin C and caffeic acid in cucumber are powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals and help to get rid of wrinkles and lines. Also cucumber juice has astringent properties. It helps to tighten pores and improves skin texture. Cucumber juice can boost up the production of collagen, which in turn improves skin elasticity.
How to use cucumber to tighten skin
- Whisk one egg white in a bowl. Put some cucumber cubes and a handful of fresh mint leaves in a blender. Blend together to make a pulp and add that to the whisked egg white and mix together. Apply this mixture all over the face and neck. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
- Add some coffee powder and honey to cucumber juice and then mix together to get a smooth paste. Spread an even layer on the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water.
8. Gives Blemish Free Skin
This is one of the major benefits of cucumber for our skin. Cucumber contains high amount of water which keep the skin soft, supple and moisturized without making it oily. Also the natural astringent benefits of cucumber control sebum production and also reduces the chance of breakouts. It contains vitamin C, which also helps in acne control. The mild bleaching properties of cucumber help in fading away the acne scars and blemishes.
How to use cucumber to get blemish free skin
- Chop one cucumber and one onion into small pieces. Put them in a blender along with a handful of chopped parsley. Blend together. Add some multani mitti and rose water to it and make a paste. Apply it all over the face and neck and wait for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water and cold water alternatively to wash it off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Puree one cucumber using a blender. Add a tbsp of oatmeal powder to cucumber pulp and mix them together. Add two tbsp aloe vera gel to it. Give it a good mix and apply a layer of it on the face. Massage the skin for 5-10 minutes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh, plain water.
9. Reduces Dark Circles
Next on our list of best benefits of cucumber for skin comes this one. Cucumber is a great remedy to reduce the unappealing dark circles around the eyes. The high amount of anti oxidants and the presence of silica in cucumber help in fading the dark circles. The vitamin C content of cucumber help in brightening the under eye skin and gradually decreases the appearances of dark circles.
How to use cucumber to reduce dark circles
Cut two slices from a fresh cucumber and place them over your closed eyes. Leave them like this for at least 20 minutes and then remove. Alternatively, you can use cucumber juice around your eyes to get rid of the dark circles.
Benefits of Cucumber for Hair
After talking about benefits of cucumber for skin, lets discuss the best benefits of cucumber for hair.
10. Fights Off Hair Fall
Cucumber contains quite a number of nutrients that are essential for healthy hair, such as silicon, phosphorous, sodium, calcium as well sulfur. All these minerals work together to boost hair growth and reduce hair loss. The presence of silica in cucumber makes it a great remedy to get shiny, glossy hair.
How to use cucumber on hair
Grate 1-2 cucumbers and extract the juice from the grated cucumber. Apply this directly on the scalp and hair and massage for few minutes. Leave it on for an hour and wash your hair with shampoo.
Benefits of Cucumber for Health
So, you have already seen how much beneficial cucumber is for our skin and hair. Lets now find out the major cucumber benefits for our health.
11. Treats Diabetes
Cucumber has been used since long to treat diabetes. The main reason is that cucumber juice contains hormones which are required for producing insulin. Also the glycemic index or GI of cucumber is actually zero. Glycemic index basically reveals the presence of carbohydrates in a food item and their result on the body. The carbohydrates are responsible for raising the glucose level in our blood. Since cucumbers have zero glycemic index, so it is considered as a safe food to be consumed by diabetes patients as it keeps the glucose level in check.
12. Prevents Cancer
Recent studies have found that cucumber is quite effective to fight different types of cancer. It contains lignans, which can reduce the risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer as well as prostate cancer. Furthermore, cucumber contains vitamin C, which is also an anti oxidant and prevent free radicals from doing damages.
13. Helps in Digestion
Cucumbers are rich in water. Also their skin contains fiber. Both water and fiber are beneficial for the food to move through our digestive tract smoothly and thus help in preventing constipation and gives relief from digestive problems like, acidity, heart burn, ulcers, etc.
14. Good for Bone Health
Here comes another great cucumber benefits for our health. Cucumber contains a good amount of vitamin K. This vitamin is essential for good bone health. Studies have show that low intake of vitamin K increases the risk of bone fracture. Vitamin K is also important because it can improve calcium absorption in the bones. Not only vitamin K, but cucumber also has some amount of calcium in it, which has direct impact on our bone health.
15. Aids in Weight Loss
If you are aiming to lose extra kilos, then do include cucumber in your daily diet. Cucumbers are low in calorie as well as they contain fiber. Foods that come with fiber has been known to help maintain a healthy weight, because they make us feel full for a long time and thus prevent frequent eating.
16. Gives relief from Pain
Next comes this one on our list of best benefits of cucumber for our health. Cucumbers contain flavonoids, which are anti inflammatory in nature. Also it contains tannins. Both tannins and flavonoids are effective to control the free radical activities in the body and thus gives relief from pain.
Check – 17 Best Ways to Remove Upper Lip Hair Naturally at Home
17. Supports Heart Health
Here comes another major cucumber benefits for our health. Cucumber is a good source of potassium, which has been found to help lowering blood pressure level. Studies have shown that higher intake of potassium is associated with lower rates of stroke as well as reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Eating cucumbers is a great way to increase your potassium intake and keep the heart healthy.
18. Improves Brain Health
One of the major health benefits of cucumber is this one. Cucumber contains an anti inflammatory substance known as fisetin. The same substance is found in strawberries and grapes. Recent studies have revealed that fisetin has the ability to reduce age related neurological diseases and also helps in maintaining cognitive function in those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
Check – How To Get Fair and Glowing Skin With Simple Homemade Fruit Face Packs
19. Gives Relief from Bad Breath
Cucumber can give relief from bad breath as well. Normally, bad breath is caused by the presence of bacteria in our mouth. Fruits and vegetables that are rich in water and fiber, such as cucumber, increases the saliva production in our mouth and helps to wash the bacteria away, thus, preventing bad breath.
20. Detoxifies Our System
One of the major health benefits of cucumber is its ability to detoxify our body. This fruit contains about 96% water which helps to clear up the toxins from our body. The water removes toxins from the body and replenishes our body. Cucumber is diuretic in nature, which means it helps our body to pass out more urine and thus remove toxins.
So this was a list of 20 wonderful benefits of cucumber for our skin, hair and health. I hope you liked this article. How do you like to include cucumber in your beauty and health routine. Let us know below in the comment section 🙂