Wonderful Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair – How to Use – How many times we have heard from our Moms and grandmas that coconut oil is the best for our hair? Numerous times, right? But ever wondered why? Well, here in this article, we will tell you what are the benefits of coconut oil for hair. In today’s world, most of us have forgotten the simple and natural things. Now-a-days, we rely on expensive parlor treatments to get rid of our hair problems. They aren’t bad, but sometimes they do more bad than good for our hair. So, instead of taking chances with your precious mane, why not go with something which is pure and effective? Find out below the benefits of coconut oil for hair.
Check – 9 Surprising Benefits of Sesame Oil for Hair – How to Use
Lets first find out the various benefits of coconut oil for hair.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
1. Repairs Hair Damage
Coconut oil has amazing ability to repair damaged hair. One of the main benefits of coconut oil for hair is that it can penetrate the hair follicles and hair shafts much better than any other oils would do. The molecular structure of coconut oil can be attributed to for this. This way, coconut oil helps in rejuvenating damaged hair by providing a boost of nourishment.
2. Reduces Hair Loss
Excessive use of styling tools and products can cause protein loss for our hair. Since our hair is primarily made of protein, so protein loss affects our hair badly and leads to severe hair loss. Coconut oil help in preventing hair loss effectively. The lauric acid, capric acid, and other essential fatty acids present in coconut oil bind to the hair proteins, thus strengthening the roots and reducing hair loss. The anti oxidant properties of coconut oil, along with its nutrients help in nourishing the hair roots and making them stronger. Furthermore, coconut oil boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which also help in making the hair roots stronger.
3. Prevents Moisture Loss
If you want to maintain healthy hair, its very important to prevent moisture loss from the hair strands. Otherwise hair can become dry and brittle, which further leads to hair breakage and split ends. To avoid all such situations, start using coconut oil for hair. It creates a safety barrier on hair and prevents moisture loss.
4. Promotes Hair Growth
Coconut oil can help you grow long hair. It is one of the best natural sources of medium chain fatty acids. Medium chain fatty acids are a special type of fatty acids with anti bacterial and anti microbial properties. They are very nourishing. One such fatty acid is lauric acid which can be found abundantly in coconut oil. The presence of lauric acid in coconut oil is responsible for its anti bacterial properties, which helps to maintain a healthy scalp and healthy hair follicles and promote hair growth. The anti oxidants and other nutrients in coconut oil, such as vitamin E, vitamin K and iron work together to give us healthy and nourished hair.
Coconut oil can penetrate wonderfully through our hair follicles, nourishes them and induces new hair growth. Coconut oil with its moisturization properties, protects the scalp and hair from sun, wind, pollution, and other damaging impurities. It also boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which strengthens the hair roots and promotes healthy hair growth. Furthermore, the linoleic acid in coconut oil help in keeping the hair hydrated and improves elasticity as well as preventing breakage. Oleic acid in coconut oil helps to get thicker and stronger hair naturally.
5. Prevents Dandruff
Coconut oil is anti fungal in nature, which is why it is regarded as one of the best natural cures for dandruff. Furthermore, coconut oil is rich in fatty acids as well as several nutrients like, vitamin K, E, etc. which help to keep the scalp healthy, clean and prevent dandruff formation. Coconut oil offers excellent moisturizing properties for scalp and hair. Regular application of coconut oil keep the scalp moisturized and prevents dryness, which is one of the major causes behind getting dandruff.
6. Anti Lice Benefit of Coconut Oil for Hair
Coconut oil is a great natural treatment for head lice. The anti bacterial benefits of coconut oil help in fighting off the lice. The fatty acid content of coconut oil suffocates the lice and makes it difficult for them to survive. Also the lubricating nature of coconut oil stops lice from moving freely and prevents lice growth.
7. Natural Coolant Properties
Coconut oil is a natural coolant. Massaging your scalp with coconut oil on regular basis is a great way to soothe any sores, boils or irritation associated with heat.
8. Conditioning Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
Coconut oil is amazingly beneficial for dry hair. It contains fatty acids, which work effectively on dry hair, restore the moisture and make hair soft and shiny once again. The deep nourishing properties of coconut oil also aid in dry hair treatment. Replace your store bought hair conditioner with a bottle of coconut oil. Coconut oil locks the moisture in the hair strands, prevent excess moisture build up, provides nourishment and helps you achieve your ‘hair goal’.
9. Makes Hair Voluminous
Coconut oil is rich in vitamins, fatty acids and anti oxidants. Using coconut oil for hair helps in rejuvenating the scalp and stimulating the hair follicles to grow new hair and increase hair volume. Furthermore, the anti oxidant properties of coconut oil along with its nutrients ensure that hair stays healthy and prevent hair loss effectively as well.
10. Stops Premature Graying of Hair
Premature graying of hair is a major problem these days. Instead of opting for chemical filled hair dyes, start using coconut oil for hair. It is rich in anti oxidants as well as essential nutrients. These help in reversing the hair graying and protect hair from other damages as well.
So, these were some of the most important benefits of coconut oil for hair. Now, let us share how you can use coconut oil for healthier and more beautiful hair.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair
1. Massage Your Hair with Coconut Oil
Massaging your hair with plain coconut oil is one of the best ways to ensure healthy and more manageable hair. Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil in a bowl and heat it up slightly. Apply the warm coconut oil all over the scalp and massage with your fingertips in circular motions for 5-6 minutes. After that, wrap a warm, damp towel around your head and wait for an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat the entire process twice or thrice in a week.
2. Coconut Oil for Hair Dryness
We have already spoken that coconut oil is extremely beneficial to treat dry hair. Combining it with few other hair nourishing ingredients helps to achieve the best result. Check out below to know how you can use coconut oil to combat dry hair.
- Mix together a tbsp coconut oil and two tsp honey to prepare a thick concoction. Section your hair and apply it all over the scalp as well as length of the hair from the roots till the ends. Cover your head with a warm towel and wait for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild, sulfate free shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Combine aloe vera gel and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. Apply the hair mask all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on the hair for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Apply conditioner as well. Repeat this treatment up to twice in a week.
- Put few papaya cubes in a blender and add a tbsp yogurt as well as a tsp honey. Blend together and then add one tsp coconut oil to it. Mix together and keep it aside. First, wash your hair with a mild shampoo and then apply the mask on damp hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap and wait for couple of hours. Wash off the mask with plain water and use a mild shampoo the next day. Repeat at least once every week.
- In a bowl, mix together quarter of a cup of yogurt, two tbsp raw honey and one tbsp coconut oil. Once it forms a thick rich paste, apply it on the hair and scalp. Let it stay for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with plain water and follow up with a mild shampoo. Repeat this treatment with coconut oil for hair dryness once in a week.
3. Coconut Oil Leave On Conditioner
First shampoo your hair with a moisturizing shampoo. Squeeze out the excess water and apply conditioner as usual. Wait for 2-5 minutes and rinse off. Now, use a towel to soak the excess water from the hair and wrap it around the head. After 5 minutes remove the towel and brush your hair carefully to make it tangle free. Next take a wide toothed comb and apply a little amount of coconut oil onto it. Run the comb through your hair from roots to tips. This will ensure even distribution of the oil on the hair. Repeat if necessary. Be careful not to apply too much oil, as it will weigh down your freshly washed hair.
4. Coconut Oil for Dandruff Treatment
Here come some of the best uses of coconut oil for hair to ensure hair stays dandruff free.
- Soak 3-4 tbsp of methi seeds in half cup of milk for an hour. Make a paste by putting them in a blender. Add two tbsp curd and 3 tbsp coconut oil to the methi paste. Mix all the ingredients and apply it to the hair and scalp. Wait for 30-35 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary essential oil to 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix together and apply on the hair and scalp. Massage well and let it sit for an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo.
- Take half cup of coconut oil and add a tsp of camphor powder to it. Mix together and store it in an airtight container. Every night, massage your hair and scalp with this camphor mixed coconut oil. Keep it on overnight and wash off the next morning.
- Take 2-3 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add one tbsp dried amla to that. Bring it to boil and then remove from heat. Strain out the oil and massage your hair and scalp with the same. Keep it on overnight and wash off with a mild shampoo the next morning. Repeat regularly.
- Mix together 1-2 tbsp coconut oil and 8-10 drops of tea tree oil. Apply that on the hair and scalp and massage thoroughly. Leave it on overnight and wash off next morning with a mild shampoo. Reapply twice in a week.
5. Coconut Oil to Fight Off Head Lice
Head lice is very embarrassing, and not only embarrassing, in fact if not treated on time they can wrec havoc on our scalp and damage it. Coconut oil is very effective in getting rid of head lice. Check below to find out how to use coconut oil to fight off head lice.
- Apply a generous amount of apple cider vinegar all over the hair and scalp. Let it dry naturally. Next, massage your scalp and hair with a good amount of coconut oil. Let it stay for 3-5 hours, or if possible leave it on overnight. Once the time period gets over, comb your hair to remove the eggs and dead lice. Wash off with a shampoo. Repeat until you get desired result.
- Take 8-10 fresh garlic cloves and grind them to prepare a paste. Add some coconut oil to the ground garlic cloves and keep the mixture aside for some time. Massage your scalp and hair thoroughly with the garlic infused coconut oil and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Use a nit comb to remove the dead lice and eggs. Clean everything with a mild shampoo. Repeat until you get desired result.
- Make a mixture by adding some coconut oil and tea tree oil to your regular shampoo. Apply that all over the scalp and hair and massage well. Let it sit for 40 minutes to an hour. Remove the dead lice and the eggs with a nit comb. Wash the hair and apply conditioner as well. Repeat the entire process regularly to get rid of head lice.
6. Coconut Oil for Hair Loss Treatment
Seeing chunks of hair coming out every time you comb or wash your hair is not less than a nightmare. If not treated on time, it can lead to baldness. Instead of spending your hard earned money behind shampoos or serums that give little or no results at all, why not opt for simple, but effective natural treatment, like coconut oil? Check out below to know how to use coconut oil for hair loss treatment.
- One of the easiest and most effective ways to use coconut oil for hair loss is by using it in combination with castor oil. Simply mix together equal amounts of castor oil and coconut oil depending on your hair length and thickness. Dampen your hair and apply this oil blend all over the scalp and hair. Massage for 5-6 minutes and wear a shower cap. Leave it on for couple of hours and after that use a mild shampoo to remove everything. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, you can combine coconut oil and camphor oil in 1:1 ratio and apply the oil mix on the scalp. Massage thoroughly with your fingertips for 3-5 minutes and then, leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in every 2-3 days to stop hair fall.
- Whisk a whole egg in a bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil and a cup of milk to the whisked egg and mix all the ingredients together. Apply it all over the scalp as well as hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap and keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and cold water. Repeat this treatment with coconut oil for hair loss at least once in a week for best results.
7. Use Coconut Oil for Hair Regrowth
Here are few simple ways to use coconut oil to induce new hair growth.
- Coconut oil, when used in combination with hibiscus flowers, work miraculously to stop hair fall and induce new hair growth. Get a handful of fresh hibiscus flowers and separate the petals. Wash them thoroughly and crush the petals using a ,mortar and pestle. Add them to 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil and mix together. Massage it on to the scalp and hair and then allow it to sit for couple of hours. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this treatment with coconut oil for hair regrowth twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together three tbsp onion juice and two tbsp aloe vera gel. Add this mixture to 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Give it a final mix. Apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp and hair, starting from root to tip. Massage well and then wear a shower cap. Leave it on the hair for 30-40 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly for best results.
8. Coconut Oil for Hair Damage
Excessive use of hair styling tools, blow drying, hair styling products etc often end up damaging our hair. Using coconut oil on regular basis is one of the best ways to reverse the damage and restore the shine of the hair.
- Take a ripe avocado, cut it in half and remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and then mash it with the back of a fork. Add a tbsp cold pressed coconut oil to mashed avocado and mix both the ingredients nicely to prepare a lump-free mixture. Apply this all over the scalp and hair and massage for few minutes. Leave it on for an hour and wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Alternatively, take two ripe bananas and remove the skin. Mash them with a fork in a bowl and add one tbsp each of coconut oil and honey to it. Mix the ingredients together and apply the hair mask all over the scalp and hair. Wear a shower cap and wait for 20-30 minutes before washing off with luke warm water and a mild shampoo. Repeat this treatment with coconut oil for hair damage twice in a week.
9. Prevents Premature Graying of Hair
Check out these three hair masks below to find out how you can use coconut oil to reverse premature graying of hair.
- Heat a pan and put 4-5 tbsp of coconut oil there. Add a handful of curry leaves to the coconut oil and fry them until the leaves turn black. Remove the pan from the heat, strain the oil to separate the leaves. Wait until the oil reaches room temperature. Apply it on the scalp and hair, massage for 3-5 minutes and leave it on for another hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash off.
- Alternatively, you can boil 2-3 fresh hibiscus flowers in some extra virgin coconut oil. Turn off the heat after few minutes and add two or three small cubes of camphor to the mixture. Stir gently until the camphor cubes get dissolved in the oil. Remove from the heat, keep it aside and let the solution reach room temperature. Massage it into the hair and scalp and then wait for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Mix together 3 tsp lemon juice with some coconut oil and massage your scalp and hair thoroughly with the mixture. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat at least once in a week for best results.
These were some of the best benefits of coconut oil for hair and we have also shared how to maximize the efficacy of the coconut oil hair treatments to resolve various hair problems. How do you like to use coconut oil on your hair? Let us know below in the comments 🙂