15 Wonderful Benefits of Cinnamon for Skin, Hair and Health – Cinnamon is a delicious and aromatic spice which is obtained from the inner bark of the ‘cinnamomum’ tree. Since ages, cinnamon is known for its medicinal properties. Modern science has revealed many benefits of cinnamon for our skin, hair and health and you will get to know about them here in this article. There was a time when cinnamon used to be considered more valuable than gold. Time has changed, but still now cinnamon is highly praised for its beneficial properties for human health and beauty. According to researches, out of 26 most popular medicinal spices and herbs, cinnamon ranks number 1, thanks to its high level of anti oxidants. Also, it has anti-diabetic, anti inflammatory, anti-microbial and immunity-boosting benefits. To know more, take a look below and find out the amazing Benefits of Cinnamon for Skin, Hair and Health.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Cardamom and Uses that You Should Know
Let’s first talk about cinnamon in brief before sharing the amazing benefits of cinnamon.
What is Cinnamon?
Cinnamon is most commonly referred to the inner bark of the cinnamon tree. It is an evergreen, tropical tree who’s barks and leafs are used for various purposes. The bark from the tree is peeled off and then rolled into sticks, which are normally 2-6 inches long. This is the cinnamon bark or stick, that is most commonly used as a aromatic delicious spice. Cinnamon leaves are used to prepare cinnamon oil. And cinnamon powder can be obtained by grinding the cinnamon bark or stick.
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices in the world. Records suggest that it was used in ancient Egypt as a flavoring agent. It was also popular for its medicinal properties and in some culture, it was considered more valuable than gold.
There are many varieties of cinnamon, but only four of the varieties are used for commercial purpose. The main variety is Cassia Cinnamon, which is most popular and found abundantly. The common cinnamon that we use is this Cassia Cinnamon. The second most popular variety is Ceylon Cinnamon, which is normally used in Mexico, Europe and many parts of Asia. Ceylon cinnamon is know as true cinnamon. It has a subtle refined flavor. Cassia cinnamon is less expensive and found widely. The other two varieties are Saigon Cinnamon and Korintje Cinnamon, which are very rarely found and used.
Ceylon cinnamon is produced in India, Sri Lanka, Caribbean, Brazil as well as Madagascar region. Cassia cinnamon grows in China, Indonesia, Vietnam and North America. Indonesia is the largest producer of the Cassia variety of cinnamon. Sri Lanka grows almost 90% of Ceylon cinnamon.
Nutritional Facts about Cinnamon
A little bit cinnamon goes a long way. Per 100 gm of cinnamon powder contains –
- Energy – 247 Kcal – 12% RDA
- Carbohydrates – 50.59 g – 39% RDA
- Protein – 3.99 g – 7% RDA
- Total Fat – 1.24 g – 4.5% RDA
- Cholesterol – 0 mg 0%
- Dietary Fiber – 53.1 g – 133% RDA
- Folates – 6 µg – 1.5% RDA
- Niacin – 1.332 mg – 8% RDA
- Pantothenic acid – 0.358 mg – 7% RDA
- Pyridoxine – 0.158 mg – 12% RDA
- Riboflavin – 0.041 mg – 3% RDA
- Vitamin A – 295 IU – 10% RDA
- Vitamin C – 3.8 mg – 6% RDA
- Thiamin – 0.022 mg – 2% RDA
- Vitamin E – 10.44 mg – 70% RDA
- Vitamin K – 31.2 µg – 26% RDA
- Sodium – 10 mg – <1% RDA
- Potassium – 431 mg – 9% RDA
- Calcium – 1002 mg – 100% RDA
- Copper – 0.339 mg – 38% RDA
- Iron – 8.32 mg – 104% RDA
- Magnesium – 60 mg – 15% RDA
- Manganese – 17.466 mg – 759% RDA
- Phosphorus – 64 mg – 9% RDA
- Zinc – 1.83 mg – 17%
- Carotene-ß – 112 µg
- Crypto-xanthin-ß – 129 µg
- Lutein-zeaxanthin – 222 µg
- Lycopene – 15 µg
Different Names for Cinnamon
- Dalchini in Hindi
- Dalchina Chekka in Telugu
- Pattai in Tamil
- Dalchini in Marathi, Punjabi and Gujarati
- Karuvapatta in Malayalam
- Lavana Patte in Kannada
- Darchini in Bengali
I hope this has helped you to increase your knowledge about cinnamon. Let us now check out the main benefits of cinnamon for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Cinnamon for Skin
We are going to start this list with the benefits of cinnamon for skin.
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Cinnamon
This is the major beauty benefits of cinnamon. Cinnamon comes with anti microbial, anti septic, anti fungal as well as anti oxidant properties, which help significantly in acne treatment. Cinnamon also helps in controlling oil production on the face, which prevents breakouts to a great extent. Moreover, cinnamon, when used topically, exfoliates the skin, removes the dead skin cells and help in drying out the acne. Cinnamon also has the ability to boost blood circulation in the skin and make the skin cells healthy.
How to use cinnamon for acne treatment?
- In a bowl, take a tbsp cinnamon powder, two tbsp organic honey and few drops of lemon juice. Mix together everything to make a smooth paste. Apply on cleansed face and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Alternatively, make a face mask by combining one tbsp cinnamon powder, two tbsp nutmeg powder and required amount of raw organic honey. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and wait for 10 minutes. Wash off and repeat twice in a week.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon has anti aging benefits for our skin. It is capable of boosting collagen production without any side effects. Degradation of collagen in our skin is the main factor that makes the skin lose its elasticity and accelerates the signs of aging. Cinnamon helps to prevent this by increasing the collagen level up in the skin. Studies have proved that the main ingredient of cinnamon, which is ‘cinnamaldehyde’, is responsible to increase collagen level. Furthermore, the anti oxidant benefits of cinnamon destroy the free radicals and protect our skin from several damages including premature aging. Cinnamon has the ability to stimulate blood vessels and increase blood circulation in your face, which results in healthy, glowing skin.
How to use cinnamon for anti aging?
- Mix together two tbsp olive oil and few drops of cinnamon oil. Apply the mixture on the face and massage gently. Wait for 10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat daily. You can replace cinnamon oil with cinnamon powder.
- Alternatively, here is an anti aging face mask using cinnamon. In a bowl, take a tbsp each of cinnamon powder and turmeric powder. Add 3 tbsp tomato puree and mix all the ingredients. Apply the paste on the face and neck and let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off and repeat 2-3 times in a week.
3. Cinnamon has Plumping Effect
This is another important beauty benefits of cinnamon. Cinnamon has the ability to stimulate blood vessels. As a result, more amount of blood and oxygen flows to the outer surface of the skin and provides a plumping effect and a fuller appearance. This is the reason why cinnamon is a very popular natural remedy for lip plumping. And for the same reason , it gives a plumping look to the skin and minimizes the appearance of fine lines.
How to use cinnamon for plumping?
Mix a tiny bit of cinnamon powder with petroleum jelly and apply that on the lips. Keep it on for some time and remove with a wet tissue. You will notice plumper and fuller lips immediately.
4. Acts as a Complexion Booster
Cinnamon has the power to improve our complexion. How? Firstly, it has anti inflammatory properties, which takes care of the redness and discoloration of the skin caused by breakouts. Cinnamon helps in soothing inflammation and repair the skin for even toned appearance. Secondly, the anti oxidant benefits of cinnamon help significantly to keep our skin healthy and boost the complexion. Cinnamon has the ability to improve blood circulation. It is a warming spice, which stimulates the blood vessels and brings more blood and oxygen to the surface of the skin resulting in rosier complexion. The anti microbial and anti septic benefits of cinnamon help to keep acne and other skin infections away, thus keeping the skin clean and clear.
How to use cinnamon to boost complexion?
- Put few banana slices in a blender to prepare banana puree. Add one tsp cinnamon powder, some yogurt and few drops of fresh lemon juice to the banana puree and mix the ingredients together. Apply the face mask all over the face and neck and let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water and repeat once in a week.
- In a bowl, take 3 tbsp aloe vera gel. Add one tbsp cinnamon powder and half tbsp almond oil to that. Combine the ingredients to make a smooth paste. Spread a layer of the face on the face and neck. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
5. Can Treat Eczema
Eczema is a very irritating skin condition. It irritates the skin and leave behind light colored patches on the skin. Cinnamon is known for its anti allergic and anti inflammatory properties. Due to these two benefits, cinnamon effectively gives relief from eczema. The anti inflammatory benefits of cinnamon help significantly to reduce the discoloration of the skin caused by eczema.
How to use cinnamon for eczema treatment?
Make a paste of honey and cinnamon (1:1 ratio) and apply it on the affected parts of the skin. Do this regularly.
6. Softens Dry Skin
Cinnamon can give relief from dry skin condition. The cinnamon powder has exfoliating properties, which remove the dry skin cells and unveil healthy, soft skin underneath. Moreover the anti oxidant benefits of cinnamon play a vital role in giving relief from dry skin condition.
How to use cinnamon to soften dry skin?
Mix together some sea salt, few drops each of almond oil and olive oil, some honey and a tbsp of cinnamon powder. Apply the DIY scrub all over the face and massage gently for a minute or two. Keep it on the skin for 5-10 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat once in a week.
Benefits of Cinnamon for Hair
After talking about the cinnamon benefits for skin, lets now find out how cinnamon is beneficial for our hair.
7. Stimulates Hair Growth
Cinnamon has the ability to boost blood circulation in the scalp. As a result, more amount of blood with oxygen and nutrients can reach the hair follicles, nourish and rejuvenate them, which lead to better and healthier hair growth. Moreover, the anti oxidant properties of cinnamon keep away the free radicals and prevent any damage for hair and scalp.
How to use cinnamon for hair growth?
- Whisk one egg in a bowl. In a separate container, take a tsp of cinnamon powder, a tsp honey and a tbsp olive oil or coconut oil. Mix together and then add the whisked egg there. Finally mix all the ingredients and apply the hair mask all over the hair and scalp. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Alternatively, take two tbsp cinnamon powder in a bowl and add enough castor oil to make it a paste. Also add 8-10 drops of rosemary essential oil there. Give it a final mix and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Massage the scalp for 3-5 minutes and then leave it on for another 30-40 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Reapply once or twice in a week.
8. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Cinnamon
This is another wonderful benefits of cinnamon for hair. Dandruff bothers almost all of us. With monsoon in its full swing, many of us are troubled with dandruff and itchy scalp. Here I have a solution for you guys. Cinnamon powder has significant anti septic, anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. As a result, it eliminates the dandruff causing fungus from the scalp and reduce the itchiness associated with dandruff effectively. The anti inflammatory properties of cinnamon help to soothe irritated scalp as well.
How to use cinnamon to treat dandruff?
Take some extra virgin olive oil in a bowl and warm it up slightly. To the warm olive oil, add two tbsp each of organic honey and cinnamon powder. Mix together and apply this to the scalp. Massage the scalp for 3-5 minutes and then keep it on for another 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and reapply twice in a week.
9. Provides Deep Nourishment
Cinnamon has the power to provide deep nourishment to the scalp and hair follicles. The extract of cinnamon as well as ground cinnamon has great exfoliating benefits, which thoroughly cleanses the scalp and remove all the traces of debris or buildup. Thus it keeps the scalp healthy and unclog hair follicles. Also, cinnamon can boost blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn, can provide deep nourishment to the hair follicles.
How to use cinnamon to nourish the scalp?
Whisk two-three eggs in a bowl (depending on your hair length and thickness). In another container, take two tbsp cinnamon powder, some yogurt and half mashed avocado. Mix these ingredients together and then, add the whisked eggs. Finally, combine everything nicely to prepare the DIY Hair mask. Section your hair in small parts and apply the mask all over the hair from roots to the tips. Massage the scalp for 3-4 minutes and then, leave the mask on for another 30-40 minutes. Use a mild shampoo to wash off and repeat next week.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
I hope you are enjoying this article so far with all the important benefits of cinnamon for skin and hair. Now, we are going to list out the cinnamon benefits for health below.
10. Regulates Blood Sugar Level
One of the most important cinnamon benefits for health is its ability to lower blood sugar level. Studies have revealed that cinnamon can actually decrease the amount of glucose entering the blood stream every time we are taking a meal. This way, it helps to maintain blood sugar level and has been proved particularly beneficial for those with type 2 diabetes. Cinnamon also helps remarkably to reduce insulin resistance. Insulin is a very important hormone that is responsible for maintaining blood sugar level. But many people tend to be resistant towards insulin. Cinnamon can help to reduce the resistance and allow the hormone to do its job uninterruptedly.
Taking a tsp of cinnamon powder every day has shown positive effects towards reducing the blood sugar level.
12. Aids in Weight Loss
Cinnamon helps significantly in weight loss which is one of the major benefits of cinnamon. It is a warming spice which helps to speed up the metabolism rate and cause our body to burn more calories at a higher speed. It reduces the bad cholesterol level and increases the amount of good cholesterol which further aids in weight loss. Also, cinnamon is beneficial to treat diabetes, which often leads to weight gain. Furthermore, cinnamon contains a mineral known as ‘chromium’, which can control appetite and supports weight loss. The polyphenols present in cinnamon is particularly beneficial to reduce belly fat, whereas, the compound known as ‘hydroxycinnamaldehyd’ can fight inflammation and prevent the accumulation of harmful fats in our body.
How to use cinnamon for weight loss?
- Add two tsp cinnamon powder to a cup of water. Bring it to the boil. Then remove from heat and let it steep for 15 minutes. Strain the water and drink the same in empty stomach every morning. This will speed up the metabolism rate and help you lose weight.
- Alternatively, you can add a tsp of cinnamon powder to your cup of warm milk, hot chocolate or cappuccino and drink daily.
- Boil a cup of water and then add two cinnamon stick there. Stir well and then boil for next few minutes. Remove from the heat and let it reach room temperature. Strain and add a tsp of organic honey to the water. Again stir well and have it early in the morning as well as at night before going to bed for best results.
13. Gives Relief from Intestinal Gas
This is one of the major health benefits of cinnamon. Cinnamon has been considered good for our stomach and digestion since ages. It has carminative properties, which means cinnamon can effectively give relief from flatulence. It breaks up the intestinal gas and reduces stomach pain caused by trapped gas. Furthermore, cinnamon has the ability to control the secretion of gastric juices and pepsin from the stomach walls. Cinnamon comes with natural anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti-parasitic properties which help in healing any infections in the stomach or intestines.
How to use cinnamon to get relief from gas?
- Take a cup of warm milk and add half tsp of cinnamon powder to that. Also add some honey and stir well. Drink it. Repeat every time you experience intestinal gas or bloating.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon powder to two tsp of honey and consume the mixture. Repeat whenever required.
- In a pan, take equal amounts of green cardamom seeds, fennel seeds and cinnamon powder. Dry fry them for 30 seconds and store them in an airtight container. Eat half tsp of the mixture every time before having a meal.
- Alternatively, you can put few drops of cinnamon oil to a tbsp of honey and consume the mixture several times throughout the day to get relief from excessive intestine gas.
14. Treats Bad Breath
Next comes this one on our list of health benefits of cinnamon. Cinnamon has powerful anti bacterial benefits, which help to combat any bacteria present in the mouth and causing bad breath. Also the refreshing and fragrance aroma of cinnamon can effectively cover the bad breath.
How to use cinnamon to get relief from bad breath?
- Add 10 drops of cinnamon oil to a glass of water and use the solution to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Don’t forget to spit it out completely. Repeat the process twice in a day to stay away from bad breath.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add few fresh slices of ginger to and a tsp of cinnamon powder to that. Allow it to simmer for 4-5 minutes and then cover the pot. Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain the tea. Drink while its still warm and repeat the process several times in a day.
15. A Solution for Infertility
Cinnamon contains ‘cinnamaldehyde’, a compound known to give relief from infertility among women. It does so by increasing progesterone level and reducing testosterone levels in woman. This hormonal balance helps to treat infertility.
These were some of the most wonderful benefits of cinnamon for our skin, hair and health. Did you like this post? Share your feedback with us below in the comments.