16 Must Know Benefits of Almonds for Skin, Hair and Health – Almonds are one of the most popular nuts or dry fruits worldwide. We love it because of its delicious crunchy taste, and nutritional value. In this article, we are going to discuss about the amazing benefits of almonds for our health and beauty. Almonds were an integral part of ancient Egyptian and Indian diet. In fact, still today many of us love to have a handful of almonds during breakfast. The fact that almonds are not only delicious but packed with benefits for our skin, hair and health, makes them a ‘must-have’ in our daily diet. Regular consumption of almonds, can give you gorgeous skin, shiny hair and also a strong immunity system. To know more, read on the benefits of almonds for skin, hair and health.
Check – Honey for Oily Skin Benefits and Best Ways to Use It
We are going to list down the benefits of almonds for skin, hair and health a little later. Before that, let us find out what is almond and few facts about it.
What is Almond
Almond is basically an edible seed of a tree found mostly in the Middle East region and South Asia. Scientifically known as Prunus dulcis, almonds are now found in places like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and Israel also. Almonds are not true nuts. The almond fruit is a drupe, inside which there is a white edible seed. In fact almonds are available in both shelled and unshelled form.
Almond can be used in different form, such as almond milk, almond oil etc. Almond milk is super delicious. And almond oil is extremely popular in skin care and hair care. In fact, almond oil is also considered good for our health as well. You can check out the benefits of almond oil here.
Coming to the taste profile, almonds can be sweet or bitter and you can get both of them in the market. Sweet almonds are more popular as dry fruits or snacks, whereas the bitter ones are used to make almond oil.
Nutrition Facts about Almonds
Almonds are considered very nutritious, thanks to the presence of mono-unsaturated fatty acids, fiber, anti oxidants, vitamin E, riboflavin, as well as minerals like iron, magnesium, manganese, calcium, phosphorus etc.
A quarter of a cup of almonds come with –
- 207 calories
- 5 gms protein
- 5 gms fiber
- 7 gms carbohydrates
- 5 gms sugar
- 16 milligrams vitamin E (61% DV)
- 0.4 milligrams riboflavin (44% DV)
- 0.8 milligrams manganese (44% DV)
- 97 milligrams magnesium (36% DV)
- 172 milligrams phosphorus (29% DV)
- 96 milligrams calcium (9.5% DV)
- 33 milligrams iron (4% DV)
Almonds in Different Languages
- Badam in Hindi
- Vadhumai in Tamil
- Badami in Kannada
- Badamkayi in Telugu
- Badam Parippu in Malayalam
- Badaam in Marathi
Benefits of Almonds for Skin, Hair and Health
Now that, we have spoken about almonds and its nutritional value, its time to learn about the benefits of almonds for our beauty and health.
Benefits of Almonds for Skin
We are going to start our list with benefits of almonds for skin. Almonds are considered as ‘superfood’ for our skin. Lets find out why!
1. Moisturizes Skin
Almonds are loaded with fatty acids and vitamin E, which plays key roles in moisturizing the skin. Vitamin E present in almonds is essential if you also want to get glowing, even toned skin. In fact, almond oil is also extremely beneficial for skin. When used topically, it acts as a brilliant moisturizer, specially for dry, itchy skin. Moreover, almond oil is hypoallergenic, which means it is safe to be applied on sensitive skin as well.
How to use almond to moisturize skin
- The simplest way to use almond for skin moisturization is by massaging almond oil all over the face and body.
- Alternatively, you can also use few almond face packs to moisturize dry skin. Soak a few almonds in water overnight. Next morning, blend them along with some whipped cream and apply the resultant mixture on the face. Let it sit for some time and then, wash off with plain water. Repeat every day to nourish dry skin.
- Here is another wonderful almond face pack for dry skin. Grind dried almonds to get almond powder. Whisk one egg white in a bowl and add the almond powder, along with 2-3 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix together and apply it on damp skin. Allow it to sit on the skin for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Use twice or thrice in a week.
2. Anti Ageing Benefits of Almonds
This is one of the most amazing beauty benefits of almond. It contains a significant amount of vitamin E which is known for its anti oxidant properties. It fights off the free radicals and protects our skin from aging signs, such as wrinkles and fine lines.
How to use almonds for anti aging
- Massaging the face regularly with almond oil also helps to keep aging signs at bay.
- Alternatively, you can try this almond face mask for defying the signs of aging. In a bowl, take a tsp of grounded oats, a tsp of almond powder and some raw milk. Mix together so that it forms a paste. Apply this all over the face and neck and then gently massage the skin in circular motion. Let it sit on the skin for another 10-15 minutes and finally, wash off with plain, cool water.
- Take some almond powder and mix that with a tbsp of honey. Add some yogurt to that and then combine everything nicely to prepare the face mask. Apply that on the face and neck and gently massage the skin. Keep it on the skin for another 15 minutes and rinse off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week to remove the signs of aging from the face.
3. Acne Fighting Benefits of Almonds
Many of us do not know it but almonds can effectively treat acne, blackheads and whiteheads. The main cause of these skin problems is oil and dirt being trapped in the skin pores. Almonds are rich in essential fatty acids, which help in controlling the oil secretion by the sebaceous glands and thus help in preventing skin problems like acne, blackheads and whiteheads. Furthermore, almond oil contains a compound known as olein glyceride linoleic acid, which is quite effective in preventing acne and blackheads.
Check – How to Remove Whiteheads on Chin
How to use almonds to treat acne
- Combine one tsp each of hung curd and almond powder. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and then keep it on for 15 minutes. Wash off with fresh cool water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Alternatively, you can make a face mask by mixing together a tsp of multani mitti, 1-2 tsp of almond powder and some rose water. Apply this on the face and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with fresh cool water. Repeat couple of times in a week.
- Soak few almonds and a few saffron strands in a bowl of milk overnight. The next morning, peel the almonds and crush them. Add the milk along with the saffron to the crushed almonds and also add some gram flour. Mix everything and then prepare a paste. Apply that on the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. Gently massage the face in circular motion and wash it off with luke warm water. This will make the face clean, clear and oil free.
4. Reduce Dark Circles
This is one of the best benefits of almonds for skin. Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E, which is known for its anti pigmentation benefits. Vitamin E also helps to get rid of the discoloration under the eyes and the moisturizing benefits of almonds help to smoothen the fine lines on the skin around the eyes.
How to use almond to get rid of dark circles
- Soak a few almonds in water for few hours. Grind them and make a paste. Apply it around the eyes and then let it sit overnight. Repeat daily.
- Alternatively, you can massage few drops of almond oil around the eyes every day at night before going to bed. Regular application will help to remove the dark circles and fine lines around the eyes. Optionally you can add a few drops of lemon juice to the almond oil to increase its efficacy.
5. Gives Clear Skin
Almond is an excellent skin exfoliator. It is very effective in getting rid of flaky, dry skin and dead skin cells from the skin. This way almonds help in getting smooth and clear skin.
Check – 14 Amazing Home Remedies to Get Rid of Body Odor
How to use almond to get clear skin
- Take a tsp of almond paste and then add that to a tsp gram flour and a pinch of turmeric. Further add some milk and mix everything to make a paste. Apply that on the face and then massage gently to exfoliate the skin. Wash it off with cold water.
- Soak a few almonds in water overnight. Next morning grind them and add a tsp each of honey and yogurt to the almond paste. Mix everything and use the resultant mixture to exfoliate the skin. Then wash it off with plain water.
6. Helps in Removing Make Up
Almond oil is a great way to remove make up from the face. Many of us tend to be allergic towards the store bought make up removers. Almond oil is a great substitute for the chemical filled make up removers. Massaging almond oil on the face can dissolve the dirt and impurities accumulated on the pores and hair follicles. In fact, this way it not only eliminates the impurities from the face but also takes off the make up. Almond oil is hypoallergenic, which means even sensitive skin type can also use this oil safely.
How to use almond oil to remove make up
Soak a cotton ball in almond oil. Use that cotton ball to remove makeup from the face. Take another cotton ball and soak it in almond oil. Wipe your face with the same once again. Remove the excess oil with a damp cloth and then, follow up with a facial cleanser.
7. Helps to Treat Sun Tan
Sun tan is hard to get rid of, specially if its a old tan. Excess sun exposure without any protection not only causes sun tan, but also can lead to sun burn in extreme cases. Almond oil has natural sun protection properties. It not only protects our skin from sun tan and sunburn, but also plays a key role in repairing the damage done to the skin by sun, thanks to the presence of vitamin E in it.
Check – The Nature’s Co Watermelon Face Wash
How to use almond oil to get rid of sun tan
- Grind some almonds with milk or rose water. Add few drops of lemon juice to the ground almond paste. Mix well and apply it on the tanned area. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cool water. Repeat regularly.
- Soak few almonds overnight and in the next morning grind them with some milk. Mix together almond paste and sandalwood powder in 1:1 ratio. If needed then add some more milk to make a face pack like consistency. Apply this all over the tanned skin and then let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water. Repeat thrice in a week.
Benefits of Almonds for Hair
After discussing about the best benefits of almonds for skin, we will now talk about the best benefits of almonds for hair.
8. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Almonds
This is one of the most important benefits of almonds for hair. Dandruff is often caused by excessive dryness of the scalp. Almond oil is an extremely moisturizing agent which also helps in moisturizing dry scalp as well as nourish the scalp.
How to use almond to treat dandruff
- Add some amla powder to 2 tbsp of almond oil and then apply the mixture on the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Mix almond oil and neem oil in 1:1 ratio and then massage your scalp with that. Leave it on overnight and wash off the next morning with a mild shampoo.
9. Promotes Hair Growth
If you are suffering from lack of hair growth, then here is the solution you are looking for. Almonds are loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients, which also help in reinvigorating the hair follicles. According to studies lack of magnesium in our body can cause hair loss. Almonds are a rich source of magnesium which can provide 25% of the daily requirement of magnesium. Also it is high in vitamin E, which is essential for hair growth.
How to use almonds to promote hair growth
- Soak a few almonds in water overnight and the next morning have them along with your breakfast. You can also eat almonds as your mid day snacks or evening snacks.
- Add sweet almond oil to your salad or breakfast smoothie to keep your hair healthy.
- Slightly warm up two tbsp of almond oil. Massage your scalp with the same. Leave it on overnight and then wash off the next morning with a mild shampoo.
10. Get Gorgeous Hair with Almonds
Next comes this one on our list of best benefits of almonds for hair. Our scalp contains sebaceous glands just like our skin. This glands produce sebum that creates a coating on each hair strands and then protect them from external stressors like sun, wind and pollution. But frequent shampooing, over styling as well as the environmental factors remove that protective coating from our hair strands and our hair gets dry, dull and brittle. Regular application of almond oil can restore that protective layer and make our hair shiny and gorgeous.
How to use almonds for healthy and gorgeous hair
- Every time after you shampoo your hair, remove the excess water with a towel. Take a few drops of almond oil and then rub it in between your palms. Run the fingers through the length of your hair. Make sure every hair strand has been coated with almond oil. Wait till the hair gets dry naturally and then style as usual. Doing this regularly adds a beautiful shine to the hair as well as makes them more manageable.
- Alternatively you can apply a pre-shampoo hair mask for soft and shiny hair. Mix together an egg and two tbsp sweet almond oil. Make a henna paste in a separate bowl and then add that to the previous mixture. Combine everything nicely and apply that on the hair. Let it sit for at least couple of hours and wash off with your regular shampoo.
11. Nourishes the Scalp
Our scalp often gets dry and irritated due to regular exposure to dust and heat. Along with that, the sweat accumulation as well as the hair styling products build up make the condition even worse. This results in damaged hair and severe hair fall. Almond oil is a great remedy to nourish the scalp and also treat the root cause of hair fall. It can penetrate deeply into the scalp and with its essential nutrients, nourishes and moisturizes the scalp.
Benefits of Almonds for Heath
So far, we have discussed the major benefits of almonds for our skin and hair, now lets move on to the benefits of almonds for health.
12. Boosts Heart Heath
Almonds are known for their mono unsaturated fatty acids compound as well as their anti oxidant benefits. Both these are extremely important to keep our heart healthy. The anti oxidant flavonoids present in almond (on the skin) work together with vitamin E to enhance artery health and prevent inflammation. Apart from these, almonds contain arginin (a special type of amino acid) and minerals like copper, magnesium, manganese, calcium and potassium which are essential for our heart health. Studies have shown that, almonds have a positive effect on lowering the level of “bad” cholesterol and thus, preventing cardiovascular diseases.
13. Boosts Brain Health
Not only our heart health, but boosting brain health is another major benefits of almond for our health. Experts say that almonds are one of the best “brain foods”. Almonds come with riboflavin and L-carnitine, two key nutrients that can boost our neurological activities as well as prevent cognitive decline. Studies have shown that regular consumption of almond has positive effect in reducing the risk of brain disorders associated with aging, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
14. Can Prevent Diabetes
This is one of the major health benefits of almonds. The mono unsaturated fatty acids present in almond is linked with slow release of glucose in the bloodstream. This way, almonds help in maintaining blood sugar level and preventing insulin resistance. Moreover, the anti oxidant benefits of almonds also help to avoid oxidative stress which can otherwise increase the risk of diabetes.
15. Aids in Weight Loss
If you are aiming to lose a few kilos, then don’t forget to add almonds to your daily diet. Almonds are rich in healthy fats and dietary fiber, which makes you feel full for a long period of time. Thus it supports your weight loss regime and prevents over eating or indulging in unhealthy snacking. When you eat almonds as your mid day snack, it provides a feeling of satisfaction (because of their fat and calorie content) and keep your blood sugar stable, in comparison to low-fat foods. According to a study, almonds can boost your metabolism. It has been seen that people who eat almonds and other nuts daily, can manage healthier body weight and lower risk of obesity than those who avoid nuts.
16. Can Help Fighting Cancer
Yes, that’s right. Almonds come with anti cancer benefits. Almonds actually contain gamma-tocopherol as one of its nutrient, which is a type of Vitamin E. It has powerful anti oxidant properties, which can fight off the free radicals and oxidative stress that are related to cancer. Studies have shown that consuming almonds and other nutritious nuts is linked with reduced risk for colon, breast and prostate cancers.
So, these are 16 important benefits of almonds for our skin, hair and health. If you still avoiding almonds, stop and do include them in your daily diet to enjoy all the benefits it has to offer.