Eight Most Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples – Pimples are much more beyond mere skin problems. They are embarrassing, destructive for our self esteem, ruining our appearance and can lead us to depression and loneliness. And so, we have brought to you the best Ayurvedic treatment for pimples. Ayurveda is a sanskrit word which is the combination of ‘Ayush’ (means life) and ‘Veda’ (means knowledge). Records suggest that Ayurveda is a 5000 year old knowledge that originated in India. Ayurveda is an ancient art of healing different skin, hair and health ailments, with simple natural ingredients. There are many anti pimple products available in the market, but they only take care externally. Ayurvedic treatment for pimples is a combination of both internal and external care. So, lets find out the simple and effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples below.
Check – How to Treat Teenage Acne Effectively – Tips and Remedies
Before getting started with the treatments, first let us share Ayurvedic approach to acne and pimples.
In Ayurveda, pimples are known as Youvana Pidaka, Tarunya Pidaka, Mukha Dooshika, Padmini Kantaka. According to Ayurveda, the causes, origin and features of pimples are given below.
Causes of Pimples as per Ayurveda –
- Consuming junk and fried food frequently
- Lack of sleep
- Stress and anxiety
- Over usage of cosmetics
- Physiological changes during adolescence
- Too much consumption of non veg foods
- Excessive sun exposure
- Eating too spicy foods
- Sleeping with makeup on
- Touching the acne repeatedly and pricking
Origin of Pimples as per Ayurveda –
According to Ayurveda, universe is made up of five elements – earth, water, fire, air and space. These five elements are represented in human body in the form of three ‘doshas’, known as, vata, pitta and kapha. When any of these doshas accumulate in our body beyond the ideal limit, then our body suffers from different ailments. The causes of acne that we stated above trigger vata and pitta doshas in our body. In turn, they affect our blood and tissues and irritate areas like our face, neck, chest, back, etc. The irritations cause small eruptions on the areas, which are known as pimples.
Features of Pimples as per Ayurveda –
According to Ayurveda, pimples are small reddish-black or pink eruptions. They are normally non itching, non burning and not painful during the initial stage. But if not treated on time, the condition can worsen and pimples can cause itching and become painful, pus filled eruptions.
Habits to Avoid Pimples as per Ayurveda –
Here we are going to list few important habits and tips prescribed by Ayurveda to avoid pimple.
- Wash the pimples affected parts with luke warm water 3-4 times everyday.
- Intake blood purifying and detoxifying herbs like manjistha.
- Using herbs with astringent properties to dry up the sebum and get rid of acne.
- Increased intake of raw vegetables and fruits.
- Having easily digestible foods, which are low in spice.
- Keeping the body hydrated by proper intake of luke warm water.
- At least 6-7 hours of sleeping at night.
- Following anti stress practices like pranayama, etc
- Using complexion enhancing herbs like turmeric, sandalwood, etc.
After discussing the Ayurvedic approach to pimples, lets now talk about the best Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples
1. Use Sandalwood Powder
Why this works?
Sandalwood powder is known for its amazing healing properties. In Ayurveda, sandalwood i used to treat various skin conditions, like acne, pimples, sunburn, blemishes and premature aging. It has anti septic, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. Sandalwood powder can soak up the excess sebum from the skin and help to dry out pimple fast, thanks to its astringent properties. Moreover, sandalwood powder has blood purification qualities. It removes toxins from the blood and prevents pimples. It can also boost blood circulation and provides a soothing, cooling sensation to the skin. Sandalwood powder works as an excellent cleanser for our skin. In addition to this, sandalwood powder works as a complexion enhancer, due to its natural anti oxidant properties.
How to use sandalwood powder in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Mix together one tsp each of sandalwood powder and turmeric powder. Add a pinch of camphor powder as well and finally mix everything and make a paste with the help of rose water. Apply it on the face and then keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Take one tsp each of sandalwood powder and multani mitti. Add some rose water to that and make a paste. Apply it all over the face and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Reapply this Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples twice in a week.
- Cut few slices of a ripe papaya and mash them. Add a tbsp of sandalwood powder to that and mix together to make a paste. Apply on the face and let it dry naturally. Rinse off with luke warm water and repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together one tsp each of orange peel powder and sandalwood powder and make a paste by adding some rose water. Apply the paste on to the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
2. Treat Pimples with Neem
Why it works?
This is one of the most popular Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Neem is described as ‘Savo Roga Nivarini’ in Ayurveda. It is known for its blood purification properties and enriched with anti oxidants, which is why neem has been used widely in Ayurvedic treatments for skin ailments. Neem has powerful antiseptic, anti fungal, anti bacterial, astringent as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It is also known for its great healing and clarifying power. Neem can dry up the sebum and heal pimples faster due to its astringent properties. Moreover, neem can restore the pH balance of the skin and help to lighten pimple marks with its anti inflammatory qualities.
How to use neem in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Boil a handful of neem leaves and then put them in a blender. Prepare a paste and add some rose water to that. Mix together and apply it on the face. Let it dry naturally and rinse off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Take a cup of water and add a handful of fresh neem leaves. Boil the water for some time and remove from heat. Wait till it reaches room temperature, and then make a face pack by mixing together some sandalwood powder and the neem infused water. Apply that evenly on the face and wait till it dries. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat twice in a week.
- Mix together a tsp of neem powder, one tbsp of multani mitti, few drops of fresh lemon juice and some rose water. Prepare a smooth paste and apply the resultant mixture all over the face. Let it dry naturally and wash off with luke warm water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Neem oil is also one of the popular Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Apply few drops of organic neem oil on the pimple affected parts of the face with the help of a cotton ball. Massage gently with your fingertips and let it stay on the skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with a mild cleanser and luke warm water. Repeat once daily.
3. Apply Honey to Cure Pimples
Why it works?
The anti bacterial and anti inflammatory benefits of honey makes it one of the best Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Honey can destroy the pimples causing bacteria and helps to heal the skin faster as well as prevent scarring. It can also reduce the swelling and redness of pimples. The anti septic properties of honey help to disinfect the pores and dry out pimples faster. Honey is a great source of vitamins and minerals along with certain enzymes that help to repair damaged skin and treat pimples effectively. Furthermore, honey is known for its cleansing properties as well. In addition to this, the anti oxidant components in honey help to maintain healthy skin.
How to use honey in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Apply few drops of raw honey directly on to the pimples. Allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Do this daily.
- Take a tbsp of sandalwood powder and mix it with some honey. If the mixture becomes too thick, add some rose water. Apply the paste all over the face and allow it to sit on the skin for 40-45 minutes. Wash off using plain water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Prepare a face mask by adding a generous pinch of cinnamon powder to two tbsp honey. Apply it evenly all over the face and wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Reapply twice in a week.
- Combine one tsp turmeric powder with two tsp honey. Apply the resultant mixture on the face, specially on the pimples. Let it stay for 15-20 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Repeat this Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples daily.
4. Use Indian Gooseberry or Amla
Why it works?
Next comes amla on our list of best Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Amla is known as the storehouse of nutrients. It is particularly rich in vitamin C, which makes it a potent ingredient to fight off acne and pimples. Amla has significant blood purification properties. It removes toxins from the blood and helps to achieve radiant skin. Vitamin C is a natural anti oxidant, which fights off the free radicals and keep the skin healthy. Moreover, the astringent properties of vitamin C help to dry out sebum and heal pimples faster. The anti bacterial properties of amla or Indian gooseberry is another reason why it is regarded as a powerful anti pimple remedy. Furthermore, the cleansing properties of amla help to get clean and clear skin.
How to use amla in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Make a paste by mixing two tsp amla powder and some honey. Spread an even layer of the paste all over the face and wait till it gets dry. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat twice in a week.
- Prepare amla paste by mixing together some amla powder and water. Separately, mash a few slices of ripe papaya and add the amla paste to the ripe papaya. Mix together and apply the mixture on the face. Let it stay on the face for 15-20 minutes and wash off with luke water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Combine together one tbsp amla powder, a pinch of turmeric powder and required amount of lemon juice and prepare a paste. Apply this all over the face and let it dry naturally. Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Acne – 10 Different Ways
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars with Simple Home Remedies
12 DIY Chocolate Face Mask Recipes to Try at Home
5. Treat Pimples with Lemon
Why it works?
Lemon juice has powerful anti bacterial and anti microbial properties. Additionally, it also contains phytoncides and vitamin P, both of which can prevent acne causing bacteria growth effectively. And, lemon juice has amazing cleansing properties for our skin. When used topically, it helps to remove the dirt, oil, impurities from the skin and prevent the chances of getting acne and pimples. Lemon juice is a rich source of vitamin C, which has multiple benefits for our skin. Firstly, vitamin C is an anti oxidant, which protects the skin from harmful free radicals. Secondly, vitamin C helps to lighten pimple marks faster. Lemon juice is a natural astringent that dry out pimples fast.
How to use lemon juice in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Mix together lemon juice and rose water in 1:1 ratio. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it all over the face while giving special attention to the pimples affected parts of the face. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. You can even use this as an overnight treatment. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat daily.
- Make a thick, but spreadable paste by adding some lemon juice to a tsp of turmeric powder. Apply the paste directly on the pimples and wait till it dries completely. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat daily.
- Alternatively, make a DIY pimple control face pack by adding some lemon juice to a tbsp of multani mitti. Also add some water and mix everything nicely. Apply the resultant paste on the face and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off and repeat this Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples twice in a week for clear skin.
6. Turmeric Remedies to Treat Pimples Effectively
Why it works?
The main reason why turmeric is regarded as one of the most effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples, is because of its powerful anti oxidant properties. Turmeric contains a compound known as ‘curcumin’, which has wonderful anti oxidant qualities. It can neutralize the free radicals and protect skin from various ailments including acne and pimples. The curcumin can also soak up the excess sebum and helps to dry pimples faster. Moreover, the anti inflammatory properties of curcumin give relief from the redness and pain caused by pimples. Studies have confirmed that curcumin is 36 times stronger than azelic acid in combating pimples and acne. It has been found that that curcumin can reduce the acne bacteria growth from 50% to 96%. And not only for pimples, but turmeric is very effective in lightening pimple marks as well.
How to use turmeric in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Crush 5-6 small garlic cloves and add that to a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Also add some honey and mix together. Once it forms a thick paste, apply that on the face, specially on your problem areas. Let it sit on the skin for some time and wash off with luke warm water. Repeat once in every three days.
- Alternatively, prepare a face pack by combining half of a tsp of turmeric powder, some rose water and lemon juice. Spread an even layer of the same on the face and let it dry naturally. Use luke warm water to remove the face mask and repeat the process twice in a week to get rid of pimples fast.
- Mix some turmeric powder with organic neem oil and apply the paste on the pimple affected parts of the face. Keep it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Repeat every alternate day for best results.
7. Get Rid of Pimples with Clove Oil
Why it works?
Here comes another very effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Clove oil contains powerful anti septic, anti bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help in healing pimples faster. Clove oil also contains a compound, known as eugenol which can prevent bacterial growth that can otherwise lead to pimples and acne formation. This oil has burning and purifying properties. When used on the pimples, clove oil helps significantly to dry it out and make the skin clear. The anti inflammatory benefits of clove oil reduce the inflammation and prevent scarring. Clove oil is a rich source of several minerals, including manganese. Manganese, as studies have confirmed, play a vital role in preventing acne and pimples. It has been seen that lack of manganese can make the skin weak and more irritation-prone.
How to use clove in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Add 2-3 drops of clove oil with to your regular moisturizer and and apply it to the pimple affected parts of the face. Doing this regularly will help to dry out the pimples as well as reduce the frequency of breakouts.
- Alternatively, mix together few drops of clove oil and 5-8 drops of any carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, grape seed oil, etc. Now apply that on the pimples and massage gently. Let it stay on the skin for 20-30 minutes. If possible do this as an overnight treatment and wash off with a mild cleanser and luke warm water the next day.
- You can even replace dried cloves with clove oil. All you need to do is to grind the cloves and make a powder. Now, add 1-2 tsp of milk to a pinch of clove powder and make a paste. Use this as a spot treatment over the pimples and let it stay on the skin for 15-20 minutes. After that, wash off with luke warm water. Repeat once in every 2-3 days.
8. Use Mint to Treat Pimples
Why this works?
The reason why mint is so widely used to treat pimples and acne is because it is a natural source of salicylic acid. And, salicylic acid, as we already know, is a great acne treatment. It helps in unclogging blocked pores and inhibit pimples and acne formation. Salicylic acid is also an anti inflammatory agent which helps to reduce pain and redness caused by breakouts. Moreover, mint contains phenolic compounds and flavonoids that come with anti oxidant properties and protect the skin from harmful free radicals. The anti inflammatory benefits of mint leaves makes it a wonderful solution to prevent pimple scars as well.
How to use mint in Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples?
- Put a few fresh mint leaves in the blender and add some water. Blend together to prepare a smooth paste. Apply that on the pimples directly and let it dry naturally. Wash off with luke warm water and repeat daily. Optionally, you can add few drops of lemon juice to the mint leaves paste as well.
- Alternatively, you can prepare fresh mint paste and add a few drops of raw honey to that. Mix both of them together and apply that on the pimple affected parts of the face. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off and repeat every alternate day.
- Take about 10-12 each of basil leaves and mint leaves and put them in the blender. Add some water and make a paste. Take it out and add a tsp of aloe vera gel to that. Mix every thing and apply it on the face. Wait for 15-20 minutes and use luke warm water to wash off. Repeat twice in a week.
These were our eight simple but most effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples. Stop stressing over your breakouts and try these remedies to get problem free skin 🙂
Great Article! With personal experience, I would like to say,
Manjishta powder : 1 spoon.
Honey : 1 spoon
METHOD OF PREPARATION AND USAGE :
Mix it well and apply this paste to the affected parts.
Manjishta ( Latin – Rubia Cordifolia, Sanskrit – Manjishta, English – Indian madder)
To Buy ayurvedic products visit Andarikiayurvedamonline