15 Amazing Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Skin, Hair and Health – Pomegranate is a popular fruit around the world, due to its rich nutritional value. The benefits of pomegranate juice is no less either. Pomegranate is full of seeds, and some people find it tough to deal with those little seeds. That’s why, extracting the juice from the seeds is the best way to reap all the benefits of pomegranate. Pomegranate juice is a super rich source of antioxidants. It is believed that it contains more antioxidants than green tea and orange. We know that health experts prefer fruits over their juices, but Pomegranate is one of those few fruits whose juice is as healthy and beneficial as the fruit itself. In this article, know about amazing benefits of pomegranate juice for our health and skin.
Check – How to Use Sugarcane Juice for Beautiful Skin
Lets check out some interesting facts about pomegranate before we start exploring the myriad of benefits of pomegranate juice as well as the fruit itself.
Facts about Pomegranate
- Pomegranate is considered as a ‘divine fruit’ because it’s the most mentioned fruit in theological books.
- It is one of the earliest cultivated fruits.
- Pomegranates can be traced back as early as 3000 B.C., with the fruit being buried alongside ancient Egyptians “in hopes of a second life.”
- It is often suggested that the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden was actually a pomegranate, and not an apple.
- It is considered as ‘lucky fruit’ by the Chinese, and also a traditional fruit in Greek weddings.
- The name ‘pomegranate’ has derived from French word ‘pomegranate’ which means seeded apple.
Nutritional Value of Pomegranate
Pomegranate is a round shaped, red colored fruit with a flower shaped stem. The pomegranate, scientifically known as Punica granatam, is a shrub that produces this red fruit. The skin of this fruit is thick and inedible, and the seeds within are called arils. The arils are the edible part of this fruit, people eat them raw or processed into juice. These arirls are quite sweet.
Coming to the nutritional value of pomegranate, one cup of arils (174 gm) contain
- Fiber : 7 grams.
- Protein : 3 grams.
- Vitamin C : 30% of the RDA
- Vitamin K : 36% of the RDA
- Folate : 16% of the RDA.
- Potassium : 12% of the RDA
- Sugar : 24 gms/144 calories
Pomegranate contains very high amount of antioxidants and that’s why it is suggested that benefits of pomegranate juice is much higher than other fruit juices. These antioxidants include phytonutrients, such as polyphenol, tannins and also anthocyanins and according to a study, conducted in 2008, daily consumption of pomegranate juice improves antioxidant functions better than other fruits because of its concentrated phenolic compounds.
There are two unique compounds present in pomegranate, known as punicalagins and punicic acid, which are actually responsible for all the amazing benefits of pomegranate juice.
15 Amazing Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Skin, Hair and Health
Below is the list of some great benefits of Pomegranate juice also based on scientific studies and research.
- Pomegranate Juice for Anti Aging
- Pomegranate Juice to Treat Acne
- Prevent Skin Cancer using Pomegranate juice
- Pomegranate Heals Dry Skin
- Pomegranate Juice to Treat Skin Infections
- Strengthen Hair by using Pomegranate
- Pomegranate to Treat Frizzy Hair
- Pomegranate for Overall Hair Health
- Boost Immunity using Pomegranate juice
- Pomegranate to suppress over eating
- Relieve Osteoarthritis by drinking Pomegranate juice
- Pomegranate Juice to Improve Memory
- Pomegranate Juice to Prevent Cancer
- Decrease Hypertension by drinking Pomegranate juice
- Pomegranate Juice Improves Digestion
Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Skin
Now that we know about the nutritional facts and some other interesting facts about Pomegranate, lets start exploring all the health and beauty benefits of pomegranate juice.
1. Pomegranate Juice for Anti Aging
Why use pomegranate juice for anti aging
One of the most amazing pomegranate benefits is its high amount of antioxidants. Pomegranate juice, with all its antioxidant contents, is a great way to keep skin healthy and young. The antioxidants also fight against the free radicals in our body and prevent them from causing oxidative damage to our cells as well as tissues. They also have positive effect on boosting collagen production that maintain our skin elasticity and also make it look plump. In addition, pomegranate juice benefits also include boosting the growth of fibroblasts and keratinocytes, which aids the production of elastin and fibers and protect the outer layer of the skin.
How to use pomegranate juice for anti aging
- To utilize this amazing benefits of pomegranate juice, make sure to consume a glass of the same every day.
- Topical application will also help. Make a paste by putting some pomegranate seeds and cocoa powder into the blender and then add some honey too. Spread it all over the face, wait for 30 minutes and wash off with cold water. Both pomegranate juice and cocoa powder are rich in antioxidants and prevent aging of skin.
- In a bowl, take about one tsp of green tea leaves and some pomegranate seeds. Put them in a blender to make a paste. You can also add some raw honey and yogurt if you want. Apply onto the face and neck, then wait for 20-30 minutes and remove the face pack by scrubbing it off. This is a great anti aging face mask.
2. Pomegranate Juice to Treat Acne
Why to use pomegranate juice to treat acne
Acne is a serious problem that bothers all of us and not only teenagers. Hormonal imbalance or digestive problems are some some of the main causes of acne. One of the best benefits of pomegranate juice is that it can cure our digestive problems and also enhances healthy blood flow in the body. It is also a rich source of vitamin C, which controls the excess sebum production, which is often one of the main reasons for breakout.
How to use pomegranate juice to treat acne
- This is how you can utilize this pomegranate benefits – put some pomegranate seeds in a blender and whizz up to make a paste. To this, add a tbsp yogurt, a tbsp honey and 1 tsp green tea powder. Mix everything together and then apply it on the face. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and wash off. Repeat once a week.
- Another option is to make a pomegranate paste and mixing it with a tbsp of pure, raw, organic honey. The paste should be little sticky. Apply it all over the face and neck and wait for an hour. Rinse off with cold water. Repeat this 2-3 times per week for glowing, blemish free, soft skin.
3. Benefits of Pomegranate Juice to Prevent Skin Cancer
Why to use pomegranate juice to prevent skin cancer
Here is another super amazing benefits of pomegranate juice. The UVB radiation from the sun is known to cause skin cancer. One of best pomegranate benefits is that it contains anthocyanins and also hydrolyzable tannins, which has strong antioxidant and anti tumor properties. Various studies have shown that Benefits of Pomegranate juice and oils are able to protect our skin from UVB damage, thanks to the strong anti oxidant benefits of pomegranate.
4. Benefits of Pomegranate to Heal Dry Skin
Why use pomegranate to heal dry skin
One of the main pomegranate benefits is that it contains punicic acid and omega 5 fatty acid, which are able to hydrate dry skin effective. Punicic acid is also known as pomegranate seed oil, which work wonders for dry skin. Plus the small molecular structure of pomegranate allows it to penetrate deeply in to the skin and heel the dryness and irritation.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin, Hair and Health that You should Know
How to use pomegranate to treat dry skin
- To reap amazing benefits of pomegranate, you can get a bottle of pomegranate seed oil and also use it as moisturizer.
- Another way is to make a face mask with pomegranate peel powder, milk cream and besan. Cut the pomegranate peel in to pieces and dry them up completely. Put them in the grinder to make pomegranate peel powder. Add a tbsp besan and also required amount of milk to make a smooth paste. Spread it on your face and then wash off after 20 minutes. This is a super moisturizing face mask for dry and extremely dry skin.
5. Pomegranate Juice to Treat Skin Infections
Why to use pomegranate juice to treat skin infections
Next on our list of pomegranate juice benefits for skin is this one. Pomegranate benefits include its powerful anti inflammatory and anti microbial properties. Due to this pomegranate can treat skin infections like eczema, psoriasis, etc. In fact, a number of studies have proved that the anti inflammatory benefits of pomegranate inhibits the inflammatory activities of human mast cells (a type of white blood cell).
Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Hair
We have already discussed the major benefits of pomegranate and its juice for our skin. But many of us are not aware of pomegranate benefits and pomegranate juice benefits for our hair. Below we will discuss some of the best benefits of pomegranate for hair.
6. Benefits of Pomegranate to Strengthen Hair
Why to use pomegranate to strengthen hair
The punicic acid, which is present in pomegranate seed has the ability to make our hair strong and healthy. It boosts blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates hair growth.
How to use pomegranate to strengthen hair
- Regular consumption of pomegranate juice helps in strengthening our hair follicles.
- Another way to utilize this benefits of pomegranate is by mixing the sun-dried pomegranate peel powder with your hair oil or coconut oil. Apply it all over the scalp and then massage gently. Wash off after an hour.
7. Benefits of Pomegranate to Treat Frizzy Hair
Why to use pomegranate for frizzy hair
Here comes another huge benefits of pomegranate. Pomegranate oil is often used to condition frizzy, unruly, curly and wavy hair. The punicic acid and omega 5 fatty acid in pomegranate works wonders for dry and frizzy hair.
How to use pomegranate for frizzy hair
To utilize this benefits of pomegranate, try warm pomegranate seed oil treatment. Apply slightly warm oil to your hair and then wait for about an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. This will help tame the frizzy hair, moisturize your hair and add shine.
8. Pomegranate for Overall Hair Health
Why to use pomegranate to improve hair health
One of the main benefits of pomegranate is its ability to boost our hair health. The pomegranate seed oil is a wonderful ingredient for our hair. Being rich in fatty acids and punicic acid, it helps to strengthen dull hair strands and makes them look naturally glossy. When mixed with a carrier oil like jojoba oil, almond oil, etc. and massaged on to the hair, it rejuvenates dry and dull hair and adds beautiful shine and luster. Pomegranate is full of vitamins and minerals that provides nourishment to the hair and stimulates hair growth.
Check – Winter Body Care for Extreme Dry Skin
Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Health
Pomegranate is full of nutrients that include vitamin C, K and several B vitamins, minerals such as, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, folate, manganese, zinc and selenium. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and omega 6 fatty acids. Pomegranate juice benefits can be attributed to its high anti oxidants contents that include polyphenols, flavonoids, anthocyanins and tannins. Below we have listed some of the amazing health benefits of pomegranate.
9. Benefits of Pomegranate Juice to Boost Immunity
Why to use pomegranate juice to boost immunity
This is one of the major pomegranate health benefits. Vitamin C is one of the most important vitamins that our body needs to prevent us from diseases. Pomegranate juice contains a high amount of vitamin C, the seeds of a pomegranate can provide 40% of vitamin C for the day. For the same reason, pomegranate juice is super healthy for our immunity system. Pomegranate juice contains a tannin known as punicalagin along with polyphenols anthocyanins, ellagic acid derivatives as well as hydrolyzable tannins. They are all very powerful anti oxidants.
It has been found that antioxidants were higher in quantity in commercial juice made from the whole fruit that in juice made from the seeds alone.
10. Benefits of Pomegranate to suppress overeating
People who are desperate to lose some weight must do some research on Benefits of Pomegranate and include a pomegranate in their daily diet. One of the pomegranate benefits is that it is very high in fiber. High fiber foods give a ‘full’ feeling to our tummy and helps to avoid overeating. This way they help us in weight loss. Being a rich source of dietary fiber, pomegranate also helps to shed extra kilos.
11. Relieve Osteoarthritis by drinking Pomegranate juice
Why to use pomegranate juice to treat osteoarthritis
Next on our list of pomegranate juice benefits is this one. This is one of the massive benefits of pomegranate juice for our health. Osteoarthritis often lead to joint degeneration. Various studies have suggested that due to the high antioxidant benefits of pomegranate, the juice plays a protective role by decreasing cartilage inflammation. The researches have found that pomegranate juice benefits not only include decreasing the breakdown of cartilage enzymes, but it also improves the antioxidant status of the body and enhance our physical function.
12. Benefits of Pomegranate Juice to Improve Memory
Why to use pomegranate juice to improve memory
Here comes huge benefits of pomegranate juice. Memory problems are often associated with old age. A 2013 study has shown that elder people with age associated memory complaints have shown improved verbal and visual memory after drinking 8 ounces or a cup of pomegranate juice per day for a total of 4 weeks. The polyphenols found in pomegranate juice have been known to be neuroprotective, which plays a vital role in improving memory.
13. Benefits of Pomegranate Juice to Prevent Cancer
Why to use pomegranate juice to prevent cancer
One of the main benefits of pomegranate juice is its high level of anti oxidants called flavonoids. These flavonoids are very effective in fighting off various cancer causing free radicals. Those, who suffer from a high risk of developing prostate cancer and breast cancer, should start drinking pomegranate juice to reduce the risk. Regular consumption of pomegranate juice can reduce the PSA levels in the body and also fight against existing cancer cells present in our body.
14. Benefits of Pomegranate Juice to Decrease Hypertension
Why to use pomegranate juice to decrease hypertension
Pomegranate juice is known for its powerful antioxidant properties. It has been proved that pomegranate juice contain almost 3 times more antioxidant than green tea and red wine. Studies have found that pomegranate juice benefits include its ability to lower blood pressure level. It acts as a natural aspirin that prevent forming blood clots. It reduces lesions and inflammation of blood vessels in heart patients. And it doesn’t end here! Pomegranate health benefits include its ability to ensure unrestricted flow of blood through human body.
15. Pomegranate Juice Improves Digestion
Why to use pomegranate juice for better digestion
Ok, so here is another astonishing benefits of pomegranate juice. Not only our heart, but pomegranate health benefits also ensure smooth functioning of our stomach as well. We have already said that pomegranate is a rich source of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble and this fiber content regulate bowel movement as well as improve digestion. Pomegranate juice has the ability to control thirst, which makes it an ideal summer drink. People with inflammatory bowel diseases should include pomegranate to their daily diet, because it can reduce inflammation in the gut and improve digestion.
These were some of the top benefits of pomegranate and its juice for skin, hair and health. Below we have discussed few more pomegranate health benefits, make sure to check Benefits of Pomegranate out!
Other Benefits of Pomegranate for Health
This is one of the best pomegranate health benefits. The iron in pomegranates increases red blood cell count which leads to an increase in hemoglobin in the blood as well as promotes healthy blood flow. Plus, the high amount of vitamin C in pomegranate helps the body in absorption of iron. Pomegranate seed extract helps in decreasing anemic symptoms, such as fatigue, dizziness and weakness.
Check – Benefits of Flaxseed Oil for Skin and Hair
If you are suffering from anemia, drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily with your breakfast. Another way is to add 2 tsp of dried pomegranate seed powder to a glass of warm milk and drink it once or twice daily.
Here comes another fascinating benefits of pomegranate for our health. Pomegranate juice is very healthy for those with diabetes or other metabolic disorders. It has the ability to improve insulin sensitivity and it also can reduce the risk of health problems that are associated with diabetes. The unique antioxidant polyphenols, tannins and anthocyanins, are very helpful to control type 2 diabetes.
Pomegranate has the ability to improve fertility among women, specially those who are trying to conceive. It increases blood flow to the uterus and also thickens the uterine lining, which in turn, reduces the risk of miscarriage. A study in 2005 has proved that pomegranate extract can be used as a supplement to boost longevity, fertility and growth rate.
Improves Dental Health
Another very important benefits of pomegranate is its antiplaque properties. The polyphenolic flavonoids present in pomegranate has antibacterial properties that improves our oral health.
According to various studies, regular consumption of pomegranate juice significantly help to lower the stress level among us. In fact, people who drink pomegranate juice daily has lower levels of cortisol, which is known as the stress hormone.
Treat Stomach Disorders
Did you know about this benefits of pomegranate? Pomegranate peel, bark as well as leaves have positive effects on stomach disorders or diarrhea. Tea made from pomegranate leaves is also very beneficial in curing digestive disorders. Pomegranate juice is also useful for treating problems like dysentery and cholera.
Check – 7 Simple Tips to Look Beautiful without Makeup
Reduces Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
One of the top pomegranate health benefits include its ability to reduce risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Pomegranate contains a specific polyphenol called punicalagin which is the source of its anti-inflammatory properties. An animal study on mice showed that those who consumed pomegranate juice experienced lower levels of amyloid plaque that accumulates between the brain’s nerve cells and cause Alzheimer’s disease.
So this was all about the amazing benefits of pomegranate for hair, skin and our health. Green juice isn’t the only healthy option available out there, a certain red juice can also work wonders for our health and beauty 🙂 Share your best tips to enjoy all the benefits of pomegranate in our daily life 🙂