15 Amazing Benefits of Mustard Oil for Skin, Hair and Health – If you think that mustard oil or sarso ka tel as we commonly know it, is for only cooking, then think twice! In many parts of India, it’s impossible to think life without mustard oil. Researches have proved that mustard oil has numerous benefits for health, and in this article, you will find some of the top benefits of mustard oil for our skin, hair and health. Mustard oil massage is considered to be highly beneficial for a variety of skin problems as well as internal health issues. The main reason that mustard oil is recommended for health, is because of its monounsaturated fatty acids. 100 gm of mustard oil or sarso ka tel contains about 59 gm of monounsaturated fatty acids. Check out below to read the top benefits of mustard oil for skin, hair and health.
Check – 15 Top Benefits of Almond Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
Lets first check out some facts about mustard oil before we move onto the benefits of mustard oil and all the different uses of mustard oil as well.
What is Mustard Oil
The term ‘Mustard oil’ is actually used to refer two different oils that are made from mustard seeds. The vegetable oil that we normally use for cooking is obtained by pressing the seeds. Another one is the mustard essential oil which is prepared by grinding the seeds, mixing them with water and then extracting the essential oil by distillation method. The pressed oil can be produced from black mustard, brown Indian mustard and white mustard.
Check – Beauty Secrets of Mustard Oil
The scientific name for mustard oil or sarso ka tel is Brassica juncea. Following is the list of different names of mustard oil in different Indian languages :
- Sarso ka tel (in Hindi)
- Kadugu Ennai (in Tamil)
- Avanune (in Telugu)
- Rainu tel (in Gujarati)
- Soshay-er tel (in Bengali)
- Mohariche tel (in Marathi)
- Sorisha tela (in Odiya)
- Kadugenna (in Malayalam)
It is believed that mustard was grown in Indian subcontinent around 3000 B.C.E. In the year 1720, mustard seed was used in cooking for the first time. Ancient Romans used to mix the mustard seeds with wine for its unique pungent taste and medicinal value. Currently, mustard plant is grown commercially in India, Canada, UK, Denmark, USA as well as some parts of Africa.
15 Amazing Benefits of Mustard Oil for Skin, Hair and Health
Let’s now find out the top benefits of mustard oil along with different uses of mustard oil.
- Mustard Oil Benefits as Natural Sunscreen
- Mustard Oil for Anti Aging
- Skin Lightening using Mustard Oil
- Mustard Oil Massage as a Natural Cleanser
- Remove Dark Spots using Mustard Oil
- Mustard Oil helps to Get Rid of Acne
- Mustard Oil heals Chapped Lips
- Hair Growth by using Mustard Oil
- Mustard Oil to Cure Dandruff
- Mustard Oil to Prevent Premature Graying
- Stop Hair Loss using Mustard Oil
- Boost Cardiac Health using Mustard Oil
- Mustard Oil to Treat Gum Disease
- Antibacterial and Antifungal Benefits of Mustard
- Treat Cough and Cold using Mustard Oil
Benefits of Mustard Oil for Skin
Mustard oil is highly beneficial for healing different skin ailments. Topical use of this amazing oil can give us healthy, glowing skin.
1. Mustard Oil Benefits as Natural Sunscreen
Why to use mustard oil as a sunscreen
One of the best benefits of mustard oil is that it acts as a natural moisturizer for our skin. It is quite thick in consistency, and contain a good amount of Vitamin E that acts as protector to save the skin from harsh sun and other environmental damages.
How to use mustard oil as sunscreen
If you want to use sarso ka tel as your sunscreen, then massage a small quantity of this oil onto your skin, and make sure you get rid of all the excess oil, because it can attract dirt and dust.
2. Mustard Oil for Anti Aging
Why to use mustard oil for anti aging
Here comes another massive benefits of mustard oil. The high amount of vitamin E present in sarso ka tel blocks the free radicals that can otherwise result in wrinkles, lines and other signs of skin aging. Mustard oil can also be used for skin tightening. Loose and saggy skin is one of the main signs of skin aging.
How to use mustard oil for anti aging
Here is how you can reap the anti aging benefits of mustard oil. In a bowl, take 1/4th cup of sesame oil. Add 10 drops of mustard essential oil. Mix thoroughly and massage it on the skin in circular motion. Next, take a clean towel and dip it in to hot water. Remove the excess water and place the towel on your face. Relax for some time. Remove the towel and use a soaked cotton ball to get rid of any excess oil. This is one of the simple yet effective uses of mustard oil for skin.
3. Skin Lightening using Mustard Oil
Why to use mustard oil for skin lightening
Sarso ka tel, when applied on skin, can remove the dirt and debris accumulated in the pores. It can also remove the dead skin cells and enhances the complexion. The anti fungal and anti bacterial benefits of mustard oil help to clear up the skin.
How to use mustard oil for skin lightening
- To get this mustard oil benefits, mix equal amount of coconut oil and mustard oil and massage it on the face till it get absorbed into the skin. This mustard oil massage will improve blood circulation to the face and leave your complexion shining with health and glow.
- Take 2 tbsp of gram flour, rose water and half tsp of mustard oil. Mix everything well and apply all over your face. Wash off after 20-25 minutes. Doing this regularly will improve the complexion.
4. Mustard Oil Massage as a Natural Cleanser
Why to use mustard oil as a natural cleanser
Many of us do not know about this amazing mustard oil benefits. Sarso ka tel stimulates the sweat glands and helps open the pores on the skin. This way, it removes toxins and unwanted salts and water, while also keeping the temperature of the body regularized.
How to use mustard oil as a natural cleanser
When you take a small amount of mustard oil in your palms and massage it over your face, the enzymes on the face are activated due to the heat produced by our body. The skin will get naturally cleansed in the process quickly and easily. This is, no doubt, one of the great benefits of mustard oil.
5. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Remove Dark Spots
Here comes another massive benefits of mustard oil massage on our skin. Regular mustard oil massage can significantly reduce dark spots, skin pigmentation and sun tan.
How to use mustard oil to remove dark spots
This is how you can reap this mustard oil benefits. Make a paste by mixing one tbsp besan, 2 tbsp mustard oil, 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp curd. Apply it onto the affected area of the skin and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water. Repeat once in every few days.
6. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Get Rid of Acne
Why to use mustard oil to get rid of acne
One of the best mustard oil benefits is its high omega 3 fatty acids content. Due to this, mustard oil is considered as one of the best treatment for acne. Also the anti inflammatory and anti bacterial benefits of mustard oil fight off the irritating pimples. For the same reason, sarso ka tel is considered very effective against minor rashes, bumps, insect bites and other skin infections.
Check – This is How I use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Pimples
How to use mustard oil to treat acne
- Mustard oil massage is highly beneficial for both men and women to stay away from acne and other skin infections and promote healthy skin. You can also mix coconut oil with mustard oil and then massage it on to the skin.
- Another way to utilize this this benefits of mustard oil is by boiling some mustard seeds in a litre of coconut oil. Let it cool down and strain the oil. Use this oil every night to massage your skin. Do this regularly for few weeks to get rid of acne.
7. Use Mustard Oil to Heal Chapped Lips
Why to use mustard oil to heal chapped lips
If you have excessive dry lips and no lip balm is working, then reach out for mustard oil. Its a thick vegetable oil, that is high in vitamin E. It protects the lips and heals the dryness.
How to use mustard oil to treat dry lips
- To make use of this benefits of mustard oil, apply some mustard oil on your belly button every night before going to sleep to get rid of dry lips.
- Mix equal amounts of mustard oil and olive oil and apply this on to the lips at night before going to bed. Wash the next morning and apply a highly moisturizing lip balm. Doing this regularly will heal dry and chapped lips.
Benefits of Mustard Oil for Hair
Just like skin, there are many benefits of mustard oil for hair as well. It boosts hair growth, prevents hair loss as well as treat premature graying of hair. Below we have listed some of the amazing benefits of mustard oil for hair.
8. Benefits of Mustard Oil for Hair Growth
Why to use mustard oil for hair growth
Many at times, we suffer from lack of hair growth. Mustard oil massage on regular basis can increase the blood circulation in the scalp, nourish the scalp and helps with hair growth. Mustard oil contains protein and omega 3 fatty acids, both of which nourish our hair and scalp and promote hair growth. Another reason to use mustard oil for hair growth is because its rich in antioxidants, such as selenium, which protect our hair from harsh environmental conditions.
How to use mustard oil for hair growth
Using mustard oil for hair growth is quite simple. All you have to do is massage some sarso ka tel on your hair and scalp. Cover your hair with a shower cap and wait for at least couple of hours before washing off with shampoo and conditioner. After few uses, you will definitely notice the benefits of mustard oil for hair growth.
9. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Cure Dandruff
Why to use mustard oil to cure dandruff
One of the main mustard oil benefits is its anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. When applied on scalp, it helps to combat fungal infections in the scalp, and keep the scalp clean. It also can treat dandruff which is one of the most common hair problems.
How to use mustard oil to treat dandruff
- Regular mustard oil massage is the key to get healthy, dandruff free scalp. Mix equal amounts of mustard oil and coconut oil or olive oil and massage the scalp with this. Cover the hair with a shower cap and wait for couple of hours. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this twice a week to reap the benefits of mustard oil.
- Another way to make use of this mustard oil benefits is by mixing 1 tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice with mustard oil and follow a mustard oil massage for hair. Keep on massaging for 5-10 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
10. Mustard Oil Benefits to Prevent Premature Graying
Why to use mustard oil to prevent premature graying
Next on our list of the benefits of mustard oil for hair is this one. This oil is rich in essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals as well as antioxidants. No doubt, it is one of the best natural oil for hair care. It is highly beneficial in treating premature graying of hair. Check out below to know how to utilize this amazing benefits of mustard oil.
How to use mustard oil to prevent graying
- The easiest way is to massage the scalp and hair with mustard oil every night, before going to bed. Wash off the next morning.
- Make a hair mask using 2 tablespoon of mustard oil and some dried amla powder. Mix them well to make a paste and apply on to your scalp concentrating on the areas where the grey hair growth is maximum. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and condition as usual.
11. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Stop Hair Loss
Why to use mustard oil for hair loss
Mustard oil is a rich source of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamins like A, D, E, and K, and minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium. It contains Beta-carotene, which transforms into vitamin A and helps in hair growth. Zinc deficiency is one of the major reasons of hair loss. Regular use of mustard oil for hair help to overcome this.
How to use mustard oil for hair loss
Hot mustard oil massage for hair should be done regularly to utilize this benefits of mustard oil.
Benefits of Mustard Oil for Health
So, till now we have discussed quite a number of mustard oil benefits for skin and hair. Lets now check out what are the benefits of mustard oil for our health.
12. Benefits of Mustard oil to Boost Cardiac Health
According to studies, adding mustard oil to our daily diet can improve our heart health and protect against various heart diseases. This amazing benefits of mustard oil can be attributed to its rich content of mono-unsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Both of them help in lowering the level of bad cholesterol and raise the level of good cholesterol or HDL cholesterol. When the good cholesterol level raises, it also helps to lower the triglycerides or the blood fat levels. This way, mustard oil not only protects our heart, but also help to prevent obesity, kidney disease as well as hyperthyroidism.
13. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Treat Gum Disease
Gum disease is one of the biggest concern across the globe. It can happen to both men and women. Gum disease is actually a chronic inflammatory process accompanied by destruction of peridontium and loss of teeth. This is quite a dangerous problem, because inflammation in the mouth can actually cause damage to our immune system. Mustard oil is one of the best natural solution for this disease.
How to use mustard oil to treat gum disease
Researches have showed that salt and mustard oil massage on the gum can bring relief to this problem. Not only for gum disease, the benefits of mustard oil also includes the overall improvement and maintenance of oral hygiene.
14. Antibacterial and Antifungal Benefits of Mustard Oil
Here comes a major benefits of mustard oil and why it is considered to be so good for our health. Mustard oil works as a great antibacterial agent when used both internally and externally, and the anti fungal benefits of mustard oil works when used externally. When taken internally, the anti bacterial benefits of mustard oil fight off bacteria infections in the colon, intestines and other parts of the digestive tract. Externally, this oil can treat both bacterial and fungal infections when applied directly to the skin. Plus, mustard oil can help fight vaginal yeast infections due to the presence of allyl isothocyanate in it.
15. Benefits of Mustard Oil to Treat Cough and Cold
During our childhood, almost all of us have seen our mothers and grandmothers massaging your chest with mustard oil whenever we complained about cough and cold. Yes, one of the top benefits of mustard oil is its ability to give relief from common cough and cold. Because of the heating properties of mustard oil, it can clear up the respiratory congestion. The unique pungent nature of this oil helps in clearing sinuses and gives us relief from cough and cold.
How to use mustard oil to treat cough and cold
There are quite a few ways to utilize this amazing benefits of mustard oil.
- Mustard Steam Treatment – Add some mustard oil and few caraway seeds in a pot of boiling water and inhale the stream. This will clear up the respiratory tract and provide relief.
- Rub a tsp of mustard oil on your chest at night before going to bed. Let it stay overnight to work its magic.
- Make a mixture of about a tbsp of warm mustard oil and 2-3 garlic cloves and rub this on the feet at night.
So, here are some of the amazing benefits of mustard oil for skin, hair and health. Check out few other less known yet astonishing benefits of mustard oil that you should definitely know.
Treat Split Ends
This is one of the best benefits of mustard oil for our hair. Often we suffer from split ends due to lack of moisture and hydration towards the ends of our hair. Massaging our hair ends with a few drops of mustard oil after we shampoo our hair every time is a great natural remedy for split ends.
Gives Relief From Arthritis
One of the best benefits of mustard oil massage for our health is that it can give relief from arthritis pain. The selenium present in this oil also reduces the effects of inflammation induced by joint pain. According to experts, massaging the entire body and the joints with warm mustard oil is great way to get rid of the pain and discomfort associated with arthritis, sprains, aches and rheumatism. Doing this in warm environment and using hot stones by a massage professional can be used to utilize this superb benefits of mustard oil.
Check – 11 Best BB Cream & Beauty Balm Cream
Boosts Brain Functionality
Mustard oil has a high concentration of fatty acids which has the ability to boost our brain function. Not only this, benefits of mustard oil also includes boosting memory and improving cognitive functions in our brain.
The Debate on Mustard Oil
There have been some kind of debates go on when it comes to mustard oil benefits for health and skin. Mustard seeds, both black and white, contain an enzyme called myrosinase and a glucosinolate called sinigrin. These two compounds remain isolated in the mustard seeds under normal conditions, but react when the mustard seeds are subjected to pressure or heat.
In the presence of water, these two components (myrosinase and sinigrin) react to form allyl isothiocyanate (in case of black mustard) and normal isothiocyanate (in case of white mustard). These two are toxic compounds and noted as poisonous when ingested or applied on to the skin.
However, its not all doom and gloom, as we have already seen some amazing benefits of mustard oil for our skin, hair and health. I hope you enjoyed this article on Benefits of Mustard Oil, stay tuned for more such posts 🙂