8 Most Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal – Dandruff is a common scalp problem which is characterized by itchy scalp and flaky skin on the scalp caused by excessive shedding of dead skin cells. Here in this post, we are going to share few very effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal. Just like the body skin, our scalp skin also sheds dead skin cells. Hence, some amount of shedding is normal, but when it goes beyond normal it causes uncontrollable itching and foul odor on the scalp. There are several anti dandruff shampoos are available in the market, but most of them come loaded with chemicals, which end up damaging our hair in the long run. So, why take chance with your precious mane? Resort to Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal, find them out below.
Check – 14 Different Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Dandruff
Before talking about the best Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal, lets find out what Ayurveda says about dandruff.
How Dandruff is Caused as per Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, dandruff is caused by aggravation of Vata dosha as well as Kapha dosha in human body. Dry scalp is one of the major causes of dandruff and the dryness of the skin is caused by Vata dosha. However, excessive oily scalp can also lead to dandruff formation. And oiliness of the skin is the result of aggravation of kapha dosha.
Causes of Dandruff as per Ayurveda
- Excess intake of sour tasting foods
- Consuming cold water for long time
- Excess sun exposure
- Sleepless nights
- Dust exposure
- Too much sweating
- Irregular hair wash
- Avoiding oil massage onto the scalp
Features of Dandruff According to Ayurveda
- Hair fall
- Cracked skin due to excessive dryness in the scalp
- Burning sensation
- Pricking sensation
According to Ayurveda, if the dandruff is caused by dry skin on the scalp, then hair oil application or few natural remedies will be sufficient to get rid of dandruff. However, if the cause of dandruff is any underlying skin disease, such as psoriasis, then special treatments will be required. Ayurveda prescribes treatments, such as shirodhara, shirobasti, etc. which not only give relief from dandruff, but also improves hair quality as well as treat stress and insomnia.
Best Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Removal
1. Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff with Aloe Vera
How to use aloe vera for dandruff removal?
- Cut one fresh aloe vera leaf in half. Extract the gel with a knife or spoon and apply it directly on the scalp. Spread all over the scalp and massage gently. Leave it on for an hour before washing your hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Soak two cups of fresh henna leaves in water for 2-3 hours. Make henna paste by blending the leaves. To the henna paste, add one tbsp each of aloe vera gel and olive oil and two tbsp yogurt. Mix everything well and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Wear a shower cap to avoid any mess and let the mask sit for at least couple of hours. Wash off with fresh water and a mild shampoo. Follow up with a conditioner. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff removal using aloe vera once in a week.
- Mix together two tbsp each of aloe vera gel and organic coconut oil. Apply the mixture all over the scalp and massage thoroughly. Keep it on the scalp for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
Why it works?
Aloe vera comes with soothing and moisturizing properties which help to calm down irritated scalp due to dandruff. The anti fungal properties of aloe vera destroy the dandruff causing fungus and yeast present on the scalp. Aloe vera is alkaline in nature and make it difficult for the fungus to stay that can otherwise survive in acidic environment. Due to the alkaline nature, aloe vera can restore the ideal pH balance of the scalp and prevent dandruff. Dandruff causes excessive itching and dryness on the scalp. Aloe vera is anti-pruritus in nature, which means that it can give relief both from itching as well as dryness. The anti inflammatory properties of aloe vera also help in healing the damage caused to scalp by constant scratching.
Furthermore, the enzymes present in aloe vera deep cleanses our scalp and help to remove the dead skin cells and the dandruff. Also, the pectines and polysaccharides present in aloe vera help to boost cell growth and then keep the scalp healthy.
2. Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff Using Methi
How to use methi to cure dandruff?
- Soak a handful of methi seeds in water overnight. Blend them to paste the next morning. Apply it thoroughly on the hair and scalp ad let it stay for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of methi and soak them in water overnight. The next morning prepare a fine paste and add some yogurt to it. Apply this all over the scalp and gently massage. Let it sit for few hours. Use plain water and shampoo to rinse it off. Repeat this once or twice a week.
- Soak a tbsp of methi seeds in water overnight. Next morning, grind them and prepare a fine paste. Add two tbsp aloe vera gel to the methi paste. Mix together and apply that on the scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then wash it off with a shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff removal using methi twice in a week.
- Alternatively, Add some lemon juice to methi seeds paste and mix well. Apply this mixture on to your scalp and hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. Repeat this once a week.
Why this works?
Methi is considered as a great remedy for dandruff due to its anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. When used on the scalp, it destroys the dandruff causing fungus and gives relief from the itching and dryness. Also methi is enriched with various nutrients such as, vitamin C, iron, protein potassium, lecithin, nicotinic acid, etc. All these nutrients work together to repair the damage and restore health back to the scalp.
3. Use Lemon Juice as Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
How to use lemon juice to fight off dandruff?
- Squeeze out the juice from half of a lemon and add that to some aloe vera gel. Mix together and apply the mixture on the scalp. Massage thoroughly and allow it to stay on the scalp for 30-40 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Heat up two tbsp of coconut oil slightly and add a tsp lemon juice to that. Mix well and massage it thoroughly all over the scalp. Let it sit for an hour and then, use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff twice in a week.
- Take a handful of fresh neem leaves and blend them to make a fine paste. Add juice of half of a lemon to the neem paste. Mix well and apply this all over the scalp. Massage thoroughly and allow it to sit for 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
Why this works?
Lemon has excellent cleansing properties. When used on the scalp, it helps in eliminating the dirt and the stickiness of the scalp along with the dead skin cells accumulated on the scalp. The powerful anti fungal properties of lemon fight off the fungus that causes dandruff and gives relief. Also vitamin C and citric acid present in lemon helps in dandruff removal. Furthermore, the acidic property of lemon helps in restoring our scalp’s pH level, which in turn also helps in preventing dandruff. Lemon has a rich amount of anti oxidants and vitamins which are essential for healthy scalp and hair. The healing properties of lemon helps in soothing irritations caused by dandruff and its fresh citrusy smell gets rid of the foul odor of the scalp.
4. Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff with Yogurt
How to use yogurt to treat dandruff?
- Shampoo your hair and rinse off thoroughly. Then apply the fresh plain yogurt onto the scalp and massage. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Combine together two tbsp of yogurt and a tbsp of lemon juice. Also add a tsp of organic honey. Mix all the ingredients and apply this all over the scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff twice in a week.
- Mix together some plain yogurt with an egg white to get a smooth paste. Add a few drops of tea tree oil. Apply this mixture all over the scalp as well as onto the length of the hair. Allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes and then rinse off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Blend together half a cup of fresh yogurt along with two tsp of black pepper powder. Apply the mixture on the scalp and allow it to stay on for an hour and wash off using a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff using yogurt twice in a week.
Why it works?
Yogurt is rich in vitamin B5 and proteins which are essential for healthy hair and scalp. The proteins present in yogurt helps to fortify and moisturize the scalp and eliminate dandruff. The probiotics present in yogurt help to get rid of dandruff causing fungus effectively. The anti inflammatory properties of yogurt help to soothe the irritation and inflammation of the scalp caused by dandruff. Yogurt comes with amazing soothing properties. When applied on the scalp, it reduces the itchiness of the scalp due to dandruff. Moreover, lactic acid in yogurt exfoliates and deeply cleanses the scalp and removes the dandruff flakes. Yogurt has anti oxidant properties as well, which help to protect the hair and scalp from free radical damages.
5. Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff using Shikakai
How to use shikakai in Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff?
- In a bowl, mix together neem powder, yogurt and shikakai powder in 1:1:2 ratio. To this add your choice of essential oil, such as tea tree oil, lavender oil, rosemary oil etc. Mix everything nicely and apply thoroughly on the scalp. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff at least twice in a week for best results.
- Alternatively, you can try another shikakai hair pack for treating dandruff. In a bowl, take almond oil or olive oil, yogurt and shikakai powder in 2:1:2 ratio. Mix together so that it forms a thick paste. Apply carefully all over the scalp and let it stay for an hour. Once again, massage your scalp, and then wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
Why it works?
Shikakai is an age old solution to get healthy, long and beautiful hair. It has several amazing benefits for hair and getting rid of dandruff is one of the major ones. Shikakai is a good source of various nutrients, such as Tannins, Flavonoids, Vitamin A, C, E, and K, etc. It also contains saponins which has wonderful cleansing abilities, and this explains why shikakai is used as a great hair cleanser. It deeply cleanses the scalp and removes the dandruff flakes. Shikakai contains good amount of Vitamin C and E, both of which are anti oxidants and play vital roles in treating dandruff. Moreover shikakai comes with anti fungal benefits which not only prevents dandruff, but also prevents issues like clogged hair follicles etc.
6. Use Amla as Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
How to use amla to get rid of dandruff?
- Mix together three tbsp amla powder, 1-2 tbsp lemon juice and some water to prepare a smooth paste. Apply this on your scalp and let it sit for an hour. Wash it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff twice in a week.
- Take a handful of basil leaves in a mortar & pestle, add some water and make a paste. Mix together a tbsp of basil paste, 2-3 tbsp amla powder and required amount of water to prepare a hair pack. Apply it all over the scalp and massage thoroughly. Keep it on for 30 minutes and wash off. Repeat every time before you shampoo your hair.
- Take a tbsp of amla juice and add that to 1-2 tbsp coconut oil. Mix them well. Apply the solution on the scalp and massage gently for few minutes with your fingertips. Let it stay for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff once in a week.
Why it works?
Amla is a great source of various minerals, nutrients, amino acids and anti oxidants, which play vital roles in treating dandruff and other hair damages. Dandruff is another major cause behind severe hair fall. Amla is particularly high in Vitamin C which is very beneficial in dandruff treatment. Vitamin C in amla has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties that not only prevent dandruff but also fight off hair loss caused by this. Amla can also restore the pH balance of the scalp which further help with dandruff treatment. Vitamin C in amla also helps to boost collagen production which in turn encourage hair growth. The anti oxidants present in amla help protect the hair and scalp from free radical damages and stop hair fall.
Amla is rich in nutrient and these nutrients help with better blood circulation in the scalp and rejuvenate the hair follicles, thus combating hair fall and inducing new hair growth. Using amla regularly for hair also prevents hair breakage, premature graying as well as split ends. Amla or Indian gooseberry also helps to restore ideal pH level of the scalp, which is essential for healthy scalp and hair.
7. Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff with Neem
How to use neem to treat dandruff?
- Take a tbsp neem oil and two tbsp coconut oil and mix them together. Apply this oil blend on your scalp and massage thoroughly with your fingertips. Let it sit on the scalp for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
- Add a handful of neem leaves to 4-5 cups of water. Boil it until the water turns green. Remove from the heat and let the water reach room temperature. Strain the solution and take out the leaves. Use the water as your last rinse after washing the hair with shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff every time you shampoo your hair.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in coconut oil and add few drops of fresh lemon juice to it. Remove from the heat and let it cool down. Separate the leaves and massage the oil all over the scalp. Leave it on overnight and wash off with a shampoo the next morning. Repeat twice in a week.
- Prepare some neem leaves paste. Add fenugreek powder and yogurt to neem leaves paste in 1:1 ratio. Mix everything nicely to make a smooth paste. Apply this on the scalp and wait for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply once in a week.
Why it works?
Dandruff is a common problem for many of us, be it seasonal or chronic. However, finding the perfect solution for dandruff is not so common. If you believe in natural remedies, try neem as it can resolve your dandruff issue effectively. Neem is anti fungal in nature which play a vital role in removing dandruff causing fungus. Also, it offers anti inflammatory benefits that gives relief from the inflammation of the scalp caused by constant scratching. Furthermore, the natural oils in neem has moisturizing properties which help to put moisture back to the scalp and driving away dandruff. Regular use of neem ensures that dandruff doesn’t come back and both the scalp and hair stays healthy.
8. Get Rid of Dandruff with Multani Mitti
How to use multani mitti in Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff?
- In a clean, dry bowl, take equal amount of methi powder and multani mitti. Add some lemon juice and finally pour some water and mix the ingredients together to prepare a smooth, thick but spreadable paste. Apply it all over the scalp and leave it on 30-40 minutes before washing off with a gentle shampoo. Use this remedy once or twice in a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare another multani mitti hair mask for Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff. In a bowl, take two tsp of multani mitti and a tsp of orange peel powder. Add some water and mix everything together to prepare a semi thick hair mask. Carefully, apply the hair mask all over the scalp, specially concentrating on the hair roots. Keep it on for an hour and wash off with a mild shampoo. Carry out this treatment once in every 10-15 days.
Why this works?
Sometimes excess oil build up on the scalp can cause dandruff and multani mitti remedy works excellent in those cases. Multani mitti has the ability to absorb the excess oil, grease and dirt from the scalp, thus reducing the dandruff and keeping the scalp clean and clear. Applying multani mitti on the scalp has other benefits as well. It can boost blood circulation to the scalp. It helps in better nourishment of the hair follicles, which in turn can keep the scalp healthy and prevent dandruff formation. Multani mitti has hair conditioning benefits as well. It eliminates every trace of dirt from the hair strands and make them soft and silky.Since multani mitti is a wonderful natural cleanser, it helps in eliminating harmful toxins and buildup from the scalp, thus minimizing the chance of getting dandruff.
I hope this article on best Ayurvedic treatment for dandruff has helped you. Let us know your feedback below in the comments.