14 Wonderful Benefits of Yogurt for Skin, Hair and Health – Yogurt face packs or hair packs are a popular home remedy to treat a number of beauty related concerns. However, yogurt has many health benefits as well. In this post, we have put together some of the wonderful benefits of yogurt for skin, hair and health. Yogurt is delicious, which is a great thing , because not too often you find healthy food that tastes great as well 😉 Jokes apart, yogurt or curd, as we call it commonly, is a great source of “probiotics” or the good bacteria which boost our immunity system as well as aid in digestion. Along with that, yogurt comes packed with protein, vitamins A, B2, B12, E, potassium, calcium and magnesium. Plus there’s many more! Know about all the Wonderful Benefits of Yogurt for Skin, Hair and Health below.
Check – How to Make Super Shiny Yogurt Hair Mask
Before we get started with the various benefits of yogurt, let us find out what is yogurt and its nutritional profile.
What is Yogurt?
Yogurt is prepared from milk. It is a dairy product which is actually obtained from milk fermentation with the help of a certain type of bacteria known as “yogurt cultures”. They ferment the lactose present in the milk and produce lactic acid. This lactic acid ends up curdle the protein present in the milk and thus, yogurt is formed. One can use different types of milk for preparing yogurt, such as low fat milk, skimmed milk, whole milk etc. Most of the commercially available yogurt are available in different flavors, however, plain, unflavored yogurt are considered best for our health. Yogurt or curd can be made at home easily as well.
Yogurt is known for its rich, creamy taste. In fact, it is one of the most consumed fermented dairy products across the globe. Yogurt is actually considered a “super food” due to its amazing nutritional benefits.
Yogurt Nutritional Fact
- Calories – 100
- Carbohydrates – 4g
- Fat – 5g
- Protein – 9g
- Beta-carotene – 22μg
- Lutein – 22μg
- Thiamine – 0.025mg 2% RDA
- Riboflavin – 0.28mg
- Pantothenic acid – 0.330mg 7% RDA
- Vitamin B6 – 0.065mg 5% RDA
- Folate – 5μg
- Vitamin B12 – 0.75μg 31% RDA
- Magnesium – 11mg 3% RDA
- Phosphorus – 135mg 19% RDA
- Potassium – 141mg3% RDA
- Zinc – 0.52mg 5% RDA
Yogurt in Different Indian Languages
- Perugu in Telugu
- Thairu in Malayalam
- Doi in Bengali
- Dahi in Hindi and Gujarati
- Thayir in Tamil
Let us now discuss about the Benefits of Yogurt for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Yogurt for Skin
1. Moisturizing Benefits of Yogurt
We are going to start our list of beauty Benefits of Yogurt with this one. Yogurt is a great source of B-complex vitamins such as vitamin B2, B5 and B12. The B vitamins are known to hydrate, moisturize, heal dry skin. Vitamin B2 has anti oxidant benefits and it protects the skin from free radical damage which is one of the main causes of dry skin. The calcium present in yogurt boosts new cells formation, which also helps to heal dry skin. Yogurt contains good amount of zinc that has anti inflammatory benefits and helps to prevent dryness of skin caused by sun damage. Furthermore, lactic acid in yogurt helps to dissolve the dry and dead skin cells and smoothens the rough and dry skin.
How to use yogurt to moisturize skin?
- Cut one ripe banana in to small pieces and mash them with a fork. Add two tbsp fresh yogurt to the mashed banana and mix together. Apply the mixture on the skin and keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Take two tbsp whipped yogurt and add one tbsp raw honey to it. Mix together and spread an even layer of the same on the skin. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is a great way to prevent premature aging of skin. Yogurt contains vitamin B2, which comes with anti oxidant benefits. It prevents oxidative stress on the skin cells and thus helps to avoid premature aging of skin. Vitamin B5 and B12 can also be found in yogurt, which further help to hydrate, moisturize, heal skin dryness, thus preventing skin aging. The calcium in yogurt boosts skin renewal process and prevents our skin from getting dry and dehydrated. Dry and dehydrated skin can be a victim of early aging.
Sun damage is another cause of premature skin aging. And yogurt can help to treat that as well. Yogurt contains zinc, which has anti inflammatory properties. It helps in preventing skin dryness due to sun damage. Also zinc has astringent properties which shrink the pores and can treat saggy skin. Zinc also boosts tissue growth, reduces wrinkles and fine lines and keep the skin healthy and youthful.
How to use yogurt for anti aging?
- Peel one small cucumber and cut it into small pieces. Put the pieces in the blender and add two tbsp yogurt. Blend together to make a paste. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face and neck and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to rinse off. Repeat twice in a week.
- Beat one whole egg and keep it aside in a bowl. Separately combine one tbsp yogurt and two tbsp ground oats. Add in the beaten egg and mix everything together. Apply the anti aging face pack on the face and neck and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cold water and repeat once in a week.
- Add yogurt to your daily diet.
3. Anti Acne Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is a traditional home remedy to fight off acne and pimples. Yogurt comes with anti bacterial properties. The probiotics present in yogurt destroy the acne and pimple causing bacteria and leave us with blemish free and flawless skin. The zinc present in yogurt has astringent properties which can shrink the pores and reduce excess oiliness of the skin, thus minimizing the chance of breakouts. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which belongs to AHA family. It works as a natural exfoliant and helps to unclog the pores as well as remove the impurities from the skin surface to keep the skin healthy and clear. Furthermore, yogurt keeps the skin moisturized and prevent the sebaceous glands from being over active and produce more oil, which might lead to acne breakouts.
How to use yogurt to treat acne?
- Make a DIY anti acne face pack by mixing together one tsp each of yogurt, lemon juice and green tea in a bowl. Apply the resultant mixture all over the face. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat 1-2 times per week.
- Mix together two tbsp of yogurt, half tsp each of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder and few drops of honey to whip up your anti acne face mask. Apply the face mask on the face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat 1-2 times per week.
4. Boosts Complexion
This is one of the major skin benefits of yogurt. Lactic acid in yogurt can inhibit the production of tyrosinase enzyme which is responsible for melanin production. Melanin, as we all know, is responsible for our skin color. The more melanin means the darker the skin tone will be. As yogurt helps in inhibiting melanin production, our complexion becomes clearer. Lactic acid also exfoliates and removes the top most layer layer of the skin and unveils clearer and radiant skin underneath. Furthermore, vitamin B5 in yogurt can brighten the dull skin and reduce dark spots as well as acne scars. Also vitamin B12 helps in lightening skin discoloration. Yogurt contains vitamin B2 as well, which encourages new and healthy cell growth and make our skin glowing and clearer. The anti oxidant benefits of yogurt protects skin cells from damage by free radicals.
How to use yogurt to boost complexion?
- Take some fresh yogurt and gently massage it over your your skin for few minutes. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and then wash off with luke warm water. Finally splash some cold water on the face. Repeat regularly.
- Mix together one tbsp of yogurt with half tsp of lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your face and allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cold water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Prepare tomato pulp by blending some small pieces of tomato. Add a tsp each of honey and yogurt to the tomato pulp. Mix together and make a paste. Apply the resultant mixture on the face and neck. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
5. Eliminates Dark Circles
Yogurt is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for dark circles under eyes. The lactic acid and probiotics in yogurt helps to eliminate dark circles. Yogurt works as a natural bleach and helps in lightening skin tone. Lactic acid in yogurt exfoliates skin and removes dead skin cells and impurities to lighten pigmentation. It also helps in evening out skin tone and cure skin discoloration. The anti inflammatory benefits of yogurt help in reducing puffiness under the eyes.
How to use yogurt to reduce dark circles?
- Take a tsp of yogurt and apply it on your under eye dark circles with your finger tips. Gently massage for couple minutes. Keep it on for another 10-12 minutes and wash off. Repeat everyday.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to one tsp yogurt. Mix together and apply it around the eyes. Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat every alternate day.
Benefits of Yogurt for Hair
After discussing the skin Benefits of Yogurt, its time to find out how yogurt is beneficial for our hair.
6. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Yogurt
Dandruff is caused by fungal infection on the scalp. The probiotics present in yogurt help to treat any fungal infection effectively and give relief from dandruff as well as other scalp conditions. The anti inflammatory benefits of yogurt help to soothe the irritation and inflammation of the scalp caused by dandruff. Yogurt has amazing soothing properties. When applied on the scalp, it helps in reducing the itchiness of the scalp due to dandruff. Moreover, lactic acid in yogurt exfoliates and deeply cleanses the scalp and removes the dandruff flakes. Yogurt has anti oxidant properties as well, which help to protect the hair and scalp from free radical damages.
How to use yogurt to treat dandruff?
- In a mixing bowl, take 4 tbsp of yogurt, a tsp of honey and 2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice. Mix together and apply this hair pack on the hair and scalp. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Use a gentle shampoo and lukewarm water to wash it off. Reapply once in a week.
- Alternatively, combine together half plain yogurt and 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice. Apply this hair pack on the scalp and gently massage for 3-4 minutes. Apply the pack on the length of the hair too. Wear a shower cap to prevent any dripping. Wait for 30-45 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Reapply once in a week.
7. Hair Conditioning Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is known for its moisturizing qualities. It helps in conditioning the hair and smoothen dry and coarse hair effectively. Also it adds a beautiful shine to the hair. Our hair is primarily made of protein, hence any protein loss affects our hair texture negatively and makes it dry. Yogurt contains beneficial proteins as well as lactic acid, both of which are very effective to nourish dry and damaged hair.
How to use yogurt for hair conditioning?
- Mix together half cup of yogurt and 2-3 tbsp almond oil. Apply the resultant mixture on the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of yogurt in a bowl and add one tbsp honey to that. Mix together and apply the mask all over the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Mash one ripe banana and add that to 4-5 tbsp of plain, fresh yogurt. Mix together. Section your hair and apply the hair mask. Once done, wear a shower cap and leave the mask on for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once every week.
8. Treats Hair Fall and Boosts Hair Growth
This is a huge benefits of yogurt for our hair. If you are troubled with severe hair loss problem, do try yogurt. It contains lactic acid which exfoliates the scalp and unblock the clogged hair follicles by removing the build up and impurities. The proteins and nutrient present in yogurt nourish the hair follicles and strengthen them to stop hair fall. Yogurt can restores scalp’s natural pH balance and drives away any fungal or bacterial infection that could cause hair loss. Yogurt nourishes the scalp and keeps it hydrated which further aids in better hair growth. Vitamin B, D and proteins in yogurt particularly help to grow long hair.
How to use yogurt to treat hair fall and boost hair growth?
- Apply a cup of plain yogurt all over the scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap and wait for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat 1-2 times in a week.
- Put few hibiscus petals in the blender and also add about half of a cup of yogurt. Blend together to prepare a thick paste. Apply this hair mask all over the hair from roots to the tips. Leave it on for 40-45 minutes and wash off using a mild shampoo.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in a cup of yogurt overnight. Next day, grind together the seeds and yogurt. Apply it on the hair and scalp and wash off with a mild shampoo after 30 minutes. Repeat the process twice in a week for best result.
Benefits of Yogurt for Health
Lets now check out the amazing Benefits of Yogurt for our health.
9. Rich Source of Proteins and Vitamins
Yogurt is called a “superfood” due to its high amount of proteins and vitamins along with minerals. The best part about adding yogurt to our daily diet is that it can provide our body with almost all the essential nutrients needed for proper functioning of the body. Yogurt contains high amount of B-complex vitamins which can minimize risks cardiovascular diseases. Also, it is rich is calcium which is needed for healthy bones as well as teeth. A cup of yogurt daily can fulfill 49% of the daily requirement of calcium. Furthermore, it can provide our body with some very important minerals, such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium which are required for several biological processes, such as regulating blood pressure, metabolism rate etc.
10. Boosts Digestion
Yogurt is very helpful in boosting our digestive health. The presence of “probiotics” can be attributed to for this health benefits of yogurt. Probiotics can be described as the “good bacteria” that help in digestion and play a vital role in giving relief from constipation, abdominal pain, gas and antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus are some of the probiotics found in yogurt which can ease the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Having a bowl of plain, unsweetened yogurt every day right after the meal or during the meal is highly beneficial to flush out the toxins that enter our body through the medium of food.
11. Protects against Osteoporosis
Here comes another important health benefits of yogurt. Osteoporosis is a bone diseases which can increase the risk of bone fracture. Consuming yogurt on daily basis help to lessen the chance of developing osteoporosis. Yogurt comes packed with calcium which is an essential mineral for bone health. It strengthens the bones. But one also needs vitamin D in order to reap the benefits of calcium for our bone health. Human body cannot synthesize vitamin D, but the good news is that yogurt contains vitamin D as well. Moreover, yogurt is a great source of other nutrients as well including phosphorous, iron, proteins etc which are also required for healthy bones.
12. Can Lower Blood Pressure
One of the major yogurt benefits for health is its ability to lower blood pressure levels. According to studies, it has been found that adults who consume two or more servings of low fat dairy products, such as yogurt are 54% less likely to develop high blood pressure in comparison to those who don’t. The main reason that yogurt is so beneficial in lowering high blood pressure is that it contains potassium. Following a high sodium diet is one of the main causes that can trigger high blood pressure. Too much potassium in blood can lead to hypertension and kidney diseases over time. Potassium help to flush out excess sodium from our body and thus, lower the risk of high blood pressure. It has been found that yogurt contains more potassium than one large banana. Almost 600 milligrams of potassium can be found in 8 ounces of yogurt.
13. Helps in Weight Management
If you are trying to maintain the proper weight, add yogurt to your daily diet. Yogurt is a great source of protein and calcium. Protein, along with calcium helps to stimulate the production of appetite-reducing hormones, like peptide YY and GLP-1. This way, yogurt reduces craving for unhealthy snacking in between meals and prevent putting on extra kilos. Also, regular consumption of yogurt helps to boost up metabolism and burn more calories, thus helps to maintain weight.
14. Boosts Heart Health
Yogurt is good for our heart as well. It contains saturated fat. Previously it was believed that saturated fats can be damaging for our heart, but recent studies have shown that saturated fat from whole milk products, such as yogurt can actually increase the level of good cholesterol, which protect our heart. Furthermore, yogurt can lower high blood pressure levels which often causes heart diseases.
These were some of the most important benefits of yogurt for skin, hair and health. Hope you enjoyed the read, do stay tuned for more 🙂