12 Must Know Benefits of Banana for Skin, Hair and Health – Banana is a very commonly available fruit. It is one of the most consumed fruits across the globe. Known as an instant energy booster, there are many other benefits of banana for our health as well as beauty. Banana can give us amazing skin and gorgeous hair. It is beneficial to fight off premature aging of skin. And it is one of the best natural treatments to get silky smooth and shiny hair. One of the most amazing benefits of banana includes its ability to fight off depression. It can even minimize PMS symptoms. And, banana boosts our digestive health as well. Plus, there’s many more! Keep on reading to know the amazing Benefits of Banana for Skin, Hair and Health.
Check – Best DIY Banana Face Pack for All Skin Types You Must Try
Let us first share a little more about bananas, and then we will begin with our list of amazing benefits of banana for our skin, hair and health.
Banana is an slightly curved, elongated edible fruit. It has thick and fleshy outer peel and juicy, soft and sweet tasting inner part. Bananas come in many colors, depending on the variety. Some of the most popular variety of bananas are – Cavendish banana, Apple bananas, Red bananas, Lady finger bananas etc. A banana tree is the largest flowering herbaceous plant in the world, and the fruits, i.e. the bananas grow in clusters near the top of the tree.
Banana is eaten raw. They can be added to fruit salads, breakfast cereals, breakfast smoothies or can be juiced as well. Raw or unripe bananas are also quite popular, and normally they are eaten in cooked form. Many of us think that plantains and bananas are same, but there are some differences in between the two. The plantains are smaller but firmer, starchier as well as denser. Bananas are longer, softer and juicier. Bananas are non-seasonal crop and they are available fresh all year around.
Banana Nutritional Profile
One serving of banana, about 126 grams, contains 110 calories, 30 gm of carbohydrate and 1 gm of protein. Bananas do not contain fat, cholesterol, and sodium, however they do contain several vitamins and minerals :
- Vitamin B6 – 0.5 mg
- Manganese – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin C – 9 mg
- Potassium – 450 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 3g
- Protein – 1 g
- Magnesium – 34 mg
- Folate – 25.0 mcg
- Riboflavin – 0.1 mg
- Niacin – 0.8 mg
- Vitamin A – 81 IU
- Iron – 0.3 mg
Banana in Different Languages
- Kela in Hindi
- Kola in Bengali
- Arati Pandu in Telugu
- Vazhai Pazham in Tamil
- Bale Hannu in Kannada
- Ethapazham in Malayalam
Let us now get started with the wonderful benefits of banana for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Banana for Skin
1. Skin Moisturizing Benefits of Banana
Why this works?
Banana contains a high amount of potassium which is an essential mineral to treat dry and dehydrated skin. It hydrates as well as moisturizes the skin and leaves you with soft and supple skin. Vitamin A in banana smoothens out the rough texture of the skin and heals dry, parched skin. Banana also works as a great natural exfoliator and removes the dry and dead skin cells from the top surface of the skin and makes it soft and smooth. The amino acids in banana help in providing nourishment to the skin.
How to use banana to moisturize dry skin?
- Mash a small piece of banana with the help of a fork. Add some malai or milk cream to it and mix both of them well. Apply this face pack all over the face and neck. Let it sit for 20 minutes before washing off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Put few cucumber pieces and banana pieces in a blender and blend together to make a paste. Apply the paste on the face and neck. Leave it on the skin for 30-45 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Cut one ripe banana into small pieces and put them in the blender. Prepare banana pulp. Add two tbsp honey and one tsp olive oil to the banana pulp and mix together to prepare the face pack. Apply it on the face and neck and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
2. Anti aging Benefits of Banana
Why this works?
Banana comes with amazing anti aging benefits, thanks to its rich nutrient profile. Firstly, it contains a high amount of potassium, which helps in hydrating and moisturizing dehydrated skin, thus preventing the appearance of wrinkles and lines. The B vitamins in banana act as anti oxidants and provide protection against free radicals that cause pre-mature aging. Vitamin A is beneficial to heal dry skin and smoothening out wrinkles and lines and vitamin C fights off free radicals and boosts collagen production in the skin to maintain its natural elasticity. Bananas also contain vitamin E which prevents skin aging due to UV damage. Furthermore, the amino acids benefits of banana not only nourish the skin, but also maintain skin elasticity by strengthening the connective tissues. No wonder banana is called as nature’s own botox.
How to use banana for anti aging?
- Mash a ripe banana and add 4 tbsp yogurt as well as 2 tsp honey to that. Mix together and make a thick, smooth paste. Apply it all over the face and neck. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes before washing off with luke warm water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Put few banana slices in the blender and prepare banana pulp. Take it out and add two tbsp green tea powder to the banana pulp. Mix both of them and apply an even layer of the banana face pack on the face and neck. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Carry out this treatment twice a week.
- Cut half of a banana into small pieces and add 2-3 tbsp milk to that. Mix together until it forms a lump-free paste. Apply this face pack all over the face and neck. Let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water first and then splash some cold water on the face. Repeat this treatment 2-3 times in a week.
3. Anti Acne Benefits of Banana
Why it works?
Next comes this one on our list of best beauty benefits of banana. Banana is very effective in treating acne. It contains zinc as well as lectin, both of which are known for their ability to kill acne and pimple causing bacteria. Also banana contains vitamin C, which controls excess oil secretion from sebaceous glands and reduces the chance of clogged pores and acne breakouts. The anti oxidant properties of vitamin C along with vitamin E prevents free radical activities and keeps our skin protected from several damages including acne. Bananas contain salicylic acid, which is known for its acne fighting properties.
How to use banana to treat acne?
- Cut one ripe banana into small pieces. Put them in the blender to prepare banana pulp. Add 2-3 tbsp organic honey and juice of half lemon to the banana pulp. Mix everything together and apply it on the face. Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to wash it off. Repeat once a week.
- Mash one ripe banana and add half tsp each of baking soda and turmeric powder to it. Mix all the three ingredients together. Apply the resultant mixture on the face. Allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Add a tsp of neem leaves powder and two tbsp raw milk to one mashed banana. Mix all the ingredients to prepare a smooth paste. Apply it all over the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
4. Skin Lightening Benefits of Banana
This is one of the most significant skin benefits of banana. It contains vitamin A which is known for its ability to lighten dark spots and blemishes. Banana has vitamin B in it as well, which plays a vital role in skin lightening. Vitamin E present in banana also has anti pigmentation properties and it helps in getting fair as well as bright complexion. The natural salicylic acid in banana exfoliates the skin and helps to remove the top most layer of the skin to make way for healthier and clearer skin.
How to use banana for skin lightening?
- Add two tbsp sandalwood powder as well as a tsp yogurt to one mashed banana. Mix the ingredients nicely to form a paste. Apply an even layer of this mixture on the face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Use luke warm water to wash off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mash one ripe banana and add two tsp rice flour as well as some cold milk. Mix them together. Spread an even layer of the mixture on the face and neck and let it dry completely. Wash it off with plain water. Repeat twice in a week.
- Prepare banana pulp by blending few banana slices. To this banana pulp, add two tbsp gram flour as well as a tbsp honey. Mix well and then apply this all over the face and neck. Wait for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with water. Repeat once in a week.
5. Treats Puffy Eyes
Banana is also beneficial to treat puffy eyes. The potassium present in banana helps to draw out excess fluid from the skin and reduces the puffiness of the eyes. Furthermore, the vitamins as well as other nutrients present in banana help to calm down the blood vessels.
How to use banana to treat puffy eyes?
Mash half of a banana and apply it on the affected parts. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat regularly. You can also use banana peel instead of the fruit.
Benefits of Banana for Hair
After discussing the skin Benefits of Banana, lets now find out the Benefits of Banana for hair.
6. Improves Hair Health
Why this works?
Bananas work amazing for our hair. They are very effective to get soft, smooth, manageable as well as moisturized hair. Bananas contain a good amount of potassium, vitamins, calcium, carbohydrates as well as natural oils that provide nourishment to our hair and make them smooth and soft. Banana can also help to seal cuticles as well as get rid of split ends effectively. Furthermore, bananas can restore the natural elasticity of our hair and make them soft as well as smooth once again. The potassium present in banana repairs dry hair effectively. The anti oxidants benefits of banana also help to maintain healthy and smooth hair. Banana also adds a natural shine to our hair as well as nourishes the hair follicles and leads to healthy hair growth.
How to use banana for hair?
For Dry Hair –
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Apply the hair mask on the hair and scalp. Wrap a warm moist towel around your head for better penetration. Allow the mask to sit for 30-40 minutes and then remove it with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Mash one banana in a blender. Add two tsp of cocoa powder as well as enough milk to the mashed banana to make a paste. Use whole milk because of its nourishing as well as moisturizing benefits. Apply this hair mask on the scalp and hair. Wrap a warm moist towel around your head. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
- Mash one ripe avocado as well as one ripe banana. Mix them together and also add two tbsp coconut oil. Give it a final mix and apply this hair mask on the scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap to prevent dripping. Let the mask stay for 30-40 minutes. Remove everything with luke warm water as well as a mild shampoo. Carry out this treatment 1-2 times in a week.
To Treat Split Ends –
- Put one ripe banana, two tbsp of plain yogurt, little rose water and also some lemon juice in a blender. Blend all of them together to prepare the hair mask. Apply this on your hair and scalp and let it sit for an hour. Wash off using a mild shampoo. Repeat this twice in a week.
- Take one ripe banana as well as one egg and blend them together. To this mixture, add a tbsp of coconut oil. Mix everything together and apply this on the hair from root to tip, specially concentrating towards the ends. Allow it to sit for 30 mins to an hour and then wash off with cold water and also shampoo. Reapply this once in a week.
For Frizzy Hair –
- Add 2-3 tbsp almond oil as well as two tsp honey to one mashed banana. Mix together and make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture all over the hair and scalp. Cover your head with a warm moist towel. Wait for 30-40 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat once in a week.
- Whisk one egg and add four tbsp milk as well as three tbsp honey to it. Also add one mashed banana and mix all the ingredients. Apply the resultant mixture all over the hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap to avoid any mess and wait for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and cold water. Do this once in a week.
Benefits of Banana for Health
So far, I hope you enjoyed knowing about the skin and hair benefits of banana. Now its time to learn about the health benefits of banana.
7. Can Lower Blood Pressure Level
One of the most important health benefits of banana is its ability to keep our blood pressure under control. The high amount of potassium present in banana actually does the job! Since bananas do not contain any sodium, this also helps to lower the blood pressure level, as we all know high sodium foods can up the levels of blood pressure. Potassium in banana facilitates smooth flow of blood as well as oxygen throughout the different organs of our body and help them to function properly. This in turn, helps to reduce the risk of plaque build up in the arteries and also protects us from heart attacks and strokes. Moreover, the fibers in banana also help in eliminating excess cholesterol from the arteries and blood vessels and also cut down stress on our cardiovascular system.
8. Improves Digestive Health
Using banana to treat constipation as well as other digestion related concern is a traditional remedy. However, it does work! The fruit is rich in dietary fiber, which helps in smooth bowel movement and gives relief from constipation. A medium sized banana contains about 3 gms of fiber which makes it one of the best natural sources of the same. Generally, two types of fiber can be found in banana – pectin as well as resistant starch. Resistant starch is found in unripe bananas, and they work as food for the beneficial bacteria present in the gut.
9. Supports Your Weight Loss Effort
Exercise or working out is not enough to get rid of the extra kilos. You have to support that with right food habits. By right food habits we mean to add foods to your diet that will help you to stay full for a long time and also prevent you from unhealthy snacking and putting on extra kilos. Banana is one such food that can help you lose extra weight. Bananas are relatively low in calories which makes it a healthy as well asnutritious addition to your diet. Furthermore, bananas are rich in fiber which helps you to stay full for a long time and reduce your appetite. Many dietitians recommend banana as a midday or evening snack to stay healthy as well as maintain your weight.
10. Enhances Brain Health
Here comes another significant benefits of banana for our health. Banana contains a good amount of Vitamin B6 which is crucial for better cognitive function. Also, magnesium, another mineral which is found in banana, contributes to healthy brain functions. Apart from these two, another mineral which is found abundantly in banana is potassium and it also plays a major role in boosting our brain health. We know that proper oxygen supply is required to all the vital organs in our body in order to keep them active and healthy. Potassium helps to maintain the oxygen level in our brain and keep it healthy.
Furthermore, our brain cells utilize glucose to keep them alive and active. Our brain cannot store glucose, hence we must constantly supply it from outside. Bananas contain sugar which they release slowly but constantly into the bloodstream and thus, acts as a steady supplier of glucose to our brain.
11. Good for Our Heart
Bananas are one of those nutritious as well as heart-healthy foods that we must include in our daily diet. We have already mentioned it numerous times in this article that banana is a great source of potassium. Potassium is one such mineral which is essential for heart health. Previously, we have discussed how potassium plays a vital role in keeping blood pressure under control and also cut down the risks of heart attacks and strokes. One medium sized banana (about 118 gm) can provide 9% of our daily requirement of potassium. According to studies, people who eat lot of potassium rich food can have up to 27% lower risk of heart diseases. Furthermore, bananas contain a good amount of manganese as well which contributes to healthy heart.
12. Bananas can Treat Anemia
Here is another very significant benefits of banana. Banana is a good source of iron, the mineral which is essential to treat anemia. Iron as well as copper, are two necessary elements that are required for the formation of red blood cells. And let me tell you, not only iron, but banana also contains a good amount of copper. These two nutrients work together to increase the number of red blood cells and thus, not only treat anemia, but ensures optimum blood flow to all parts of the body.
These were 12 amazing health and beauty benefits of banana. Do you eat banana? That’s great! If not, do not delay any more and add this humble yet very nutritious fruit to your daily diet and see how it shows its magic on you 🙂