15 Top Benefits of Onion for Skin, Hair and Health – If you are asked to name a few items that you always see in your kitchen pantry, onion will come at the top. It is also one of the most used vegetables. And not only culinary uses, there are several other benefits of onion for our beauty as well as for health. Moreover, this article will tell you about 15 top benefits of onion for skin, hair and health. Cutting an onion might make you teary and eating raw onion will give you stinky breath, but once you go through this post, you will know that onions are power house of skin and health benefits. In fact, Onions are rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antioxidant and anti carcinogenic properties. Also, some other benefits of onions include its sulfuric compounds, flavonoids and phyto-chemicals.
Check – Amazing Home Remedies for Sun Damaged Skin Treatment
Before we start exploring all the amazing benefits of onion, let’s find out some interesting facts about onion.
Facts about Onion
Onions are also known as bulb onion or common onion. It is a vegetable that is most widely cultivated species of the genus Allium. Garlic, shallot, leek, chives etc are considered as close relatives of onion. Onions are cultivated across the globe. It is also consumed around the world, either raw in the form of pickles or chutneys, or cooked as a vegetable or part of a prepared dish. Raw onions are also served as salad. Common onions are normally available in three different colors.
- Brown Onions – Full flavored and most commonly used for everyday cooking.
- Red/purple Onions – Good choice for fresh use. Their color also adds beauty to a dish.
- White Onions – Traditionally these onions are used in classic Mexican cuisine. They turn into golden color when cooked and also adds a sweet flavor to a dish when sauteed.
Onions are about 89% water, 9% carbohydrates, 1% protein and a negligible amount of fat. A 100 gm of onion contains about 40 calories. Onions have sharp, pungent flavor and they also add a savory taste to a dish.
Onion in Different Indian languages
- Pyaz or Kanda or Dangri (in Hindi)
- Nirulli or Ullipayalu or Yerra Gaddalu (in Telugu)
- Vaengayam (in Tamil)
- Savala (in Malayalam)
- Ulligadde or Erulli or Neeruli ( in Kannada)
- Dungri or Kanda (in Gujarati)
- Kandaa (in Marathi)
- Piyaz (in Bengali)
15 Top Benefits of Onion for Skin, Hair and Health
So, now that we have discussed some of the interesting facts about onions, its time to explore the amazing benefits of onion and various uses of onion.
Benefits of Onion for Skin
Onions are packed with several vitamins which work well for our skin and also help to keep skin healthy and glowing. It also has antiseptic properties, which contribute to the health of the skin.
1. Benefits of Onion for Glowing Skin
Why to use onion for glowing skin
Vitamins A,C and E benefits of onion has made it a wonderful ingredient for our skin. These vitamins protect our skin from premature aging. Vitamin C is among one of those vitamins that make our skin glow. The antiseptic benefits of onion protect the skin from acne and other issues caused by bacteria.
How to use onion for glowing skin
- Eating raw onions everyday is very helpful for good skin health. If the onion smell bothers you and you can not consume them raw, make sure you do not over cook them. Heat can also destroy the phytonutrients present in the onion.
- Applying onion face pack is also very beneficial for our skin. Here is a simple face pack recipe to get this benefits of onion. Combine 2 tbsp gram flour, one and half tbsp freshly extracted onion juice, a pinch of nutmeg and then some milk to form a thick paste. To neutralize the pungent smell of onion, you can add lavender essential oil or any other essential oil of your choice. Apply the face pack and let it dry completely. Dab some milk on the face and then remove the face pack by massaging the face in circular motion. Wash off.
2. Benefits of Onion for Anti Aging
Why to use onion for anti aging
Next on our list of benefits of onion for skin comes this one. The anti aging benefits of onion can be attributed to vitamin A, C and E. Plus it contains quercetin, which is one of the most powerful anti oxidants, that keep our skin wrinkle free. The sulfur and vitamins present in onion also help to keep the skin soft and supple. The sulfur rich phytochemicals benefits of onion contributes to anti aging. Check out the uses of onion for anti aging below.
How to use onion for anti aging
- Cut a fresh medium sized onion in to small pieces and extract the juice. Using a cotton ball, apply the onion juice all over the face. This will improve the blood circulation which leads to wrinkle free, tight and younger looking skin. Onion juice is also very effective in improving skin texture.
- You can mix equal quantity of onion juice and fresh yogurt. Add few drops of your favorite essential oil. Then massage this mixture in to the face in gentle circular motions for 10-15 minutes. Repeating this everyday will help you to reap the benefits of onion.
3. Benefits of Onion to Cure Acne
Why to use onion to get rid of acne
This is one of the best onion benefits for skin. The anti microbial, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory benefits of onion has made it a great natural cure for acne. Also it is a powerful anti septic that protects our skin from acne causing bacteria and other infections of skin. Check out below how to reap this benefits of onion for skin.
How to use onion to cure acne
- You can make a simple onion face pack to get rid of the acne. Mix together 1 tbsp each of onion juice and olive oil. Apply it on to the face. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash off.
- Here is another face mask recipe to make use of this onion benefits. Take equal quantity of fresh and raw onion juice, fresh tomato juice and neem oil. Mix all the 3 ingredients together and apply on the face. Let it sit for some time and then wash off. This face mask is very effective to get rid of acne super quickly.
4. Benefits of Onion to Treat Skin Pigmentation
Why to use onion to get rid of skin pigmentation
Here comes another amazing benefits of onion for skin. Onion juice is particularly known for its ability to remove dark spots and skin pigmentation. The vitamin C benefits of onion juice plays a key role in lightening dark spots and pigmentation. Moreover, the phytonutrients and anti oxidants present in onion also nourish the skin and remove the impurities.
How to use onion to treat skin pigmentation
- Here is how to utilize this onion benefits for skin. Prepare a solution by mixing 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and 2 tsp of fresh onion juice. Apply it on to the skin with a cotton ball and then wait for 10-15 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water.
- Make a face mask by mixing together a pinch of turmeric powder and a tbsp of fresh onion juice. Massage your face daily with this mixture to reap this amazing benefits of onion.
5. Onion Benefits to Lighten Complexion
Why to use onion to lighten complexion
The blood purifying benefits of onion juice helps to lighten complexion by removing toxins and impurities from our body. Apart from this, the anti oxidants benefits of onion plays an important role in keeping our skin young and healthy. Plus the phytonutrients, flavonoids and the phytochemicals present in onion improve our complexion and also make the skin soft and radiant.
How to use onion to lighten complexion
Mix one and half tsp of onion juice with 2 tbsp gram flour, pinch of nutmeg and some milk. Prepare a smooth paste and apply it all over the face. Let it dry naturally. Take a cotton ball soaked in milk and then gently wipe off the face to remove the face pack. This onion face pack works as a great skin exfoliator, it gets rid of the dead skin cells and improves our complexion.
Benefits of Onion for Hair
After discussing the onion benefits for skin, now its time to explore benefits of onion for hair. Onion is a very good source of sulfur, Biotin, Manganese, Vitamin B1, B6, C, Copper, dietary fiber, Phosphorus, Potassium and Folate. All these nutrients has made onion a great natural ingredient for our hair.
6. Benefits of Onion for Hair Growth
Why to use onion for hair growth
One of the main onion benefits for hair is its ability to induce new hair growth. Onion juice contains sulfur, which is a great ingredient for our hair. It promotes blood circulation to the scalp, boosts collagen production and also promotes new hair growth. A study published in the Journal of Dermatology found that, people suffering from alopecia experienced significant hair regrowth after applying onion juice to the scalp twice daily for 2 months.
How to use onion for hair growth
- To reap this onion benefits for hair, all you have to do is to massage your scalp with raw onion juice. Soak a cotton pad with onion juice. Dab it on the scalp and then cover the entire scalp. Also massage the scalp light handedly for couple of minutes. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Extract the juice of one onion and combine it with 1 tsp of honey, 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil. Massage it in to the scalp. Cover the head with a shower cap for at least an hour. If possible, do it like an overnight treatment for better result. Use a mild shampoo to remove.
7. Benefits of Onion to Treat Dandruff
Why to use onion to treat dandruff
Here comes one of the major benefits of onion for hair. Dandruff is one such problem that bothers almost all of us. Onion works as a great dandruff healing ingredient. The anti septic benefits of onion helps to kill the bacteria that causes dandruff. Onion juice forms a protective layer on the scalp and retain the moisture of the scalp which further aids in removing dandruff. Check out below to know couple of onion uses to get rid of dandruff.
How to use onion to treat dandruff
- Mix onion juice with olive oil and coconut oil and then massage it on to the scalp. Let it sit for 2 hours. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Take 3 tbsp fenugreek seeds and soak them in water overnight. Next day grind them and make a fine paste. To this, add 2 tbsp of fresh onion juice and apply this pack on to the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse off with luke warm water.
8. Benefits of Onion to Treat Gray Hair
Why to use onion to treat gray hair
Onion juice is rich in enzyme catalase and has been used traditionally as a topical treatment for gray hair. In 2009, the scientists of Bradford University in the UK discovered that build up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicles and scalp causes gray hair. The catalase enzyme benefits of onion neutralizes the hydrogen peroxide and thus reverses gray hair.
How to use onion to treat gray hair
Here is how you can reap this benefits of onion for hair –
- Add 5 onions to a liter of water and boil for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and then let it cool down. Mix it with your shampoo and also apply it on to the hair. Wash off with plain water.
- Mix onion juice with lemon juice and then massage the scalp with this mixture everyday.
9. Use Onion to Eliminate Head Lice
Why to use onion to eliminate head lice
Onion juice is rich in sulfur. The pungent sulfur helps to kill head lice.
How to use onion to eliminate head lice
To utilize this benefits of onion for hair, extract the juice of 2-3 onions. Apply on to the scalp and massage thoroughly. Cover your hair with a shower cap and wait for 2-3 hours. Shampoo your hair and then let your hair air dry. Use a nit comb to remove the dead lice and nits. Repeat daily for 3 days to get rid of the head lice. Then do it once a week for few months to prevent re-occurrence.
10. Benefits of Onion to Maintain Natural Hair Color
How to use onion to maintain natural hair color
Onion juice is considered very useful for maintaining the natural color of our hair. All you have to do is take some onion juice and add adequate amount of mustard oil to it. Mix together and then massage this on to the hair. Regular use will bring back the natural color of your hair.
Benefits of Onion for Health
So far, we have discussed all the amazing benefits of onion for skin and hair. Lets now check out some of the top benefits of onion for our health.
11. Onion Benefits to Regulate Blood Sugar
Why to use onion to regulate blood sugar
Lets start our list of benefits of onion for health with this one. Onions are considered good for people who have diabetes. The sulfur compound known as allyl propyl disulfide present in onion is helpful in increasing insulin production and lower the levels of blood glucose in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Also, onion juice has some amount of chromium in it, which improve our body’s glucose tolerance level. See the onion uses to regulate blood sugar below.
How to use onion to regulate blood sugar
Diabetic people must include red onions regularly in their diet. There are numerous ways to add onions to our daily meal.
- You can add sliced raw onions to your sandwiches and salads.
- One can also grill or roast thick onion slices as vegetable with your meal.
12. Benefits of Onion to Prevent Cancer
Why to use onion to prevent cancer
Next on our list of benefits of onion for health is this one. Studies have shown that red onions are most effective in destroying breast cancer and colon cancer cells. The red onions are rich in quercetin and anthocyanin which play vital roles in onion’s anti cancer properties. Not only breast cancer and colon cancer, onions can prevent various cancer such as, lung, ovarian, stomach, bladder, prostate, brain cancer as well as liver cancer. It has been found that people with highest consumption of onions had the lowest cancer rates.
How to use onion to prevent cancer
Eat one red onion daily to prevent cancer.
13. Benefits of Onion for Better Heart Health
Why to use onion for better heart health
Regular onion consumption can reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. Onion juice contains quercetin which has both anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties which has made onion good for our heart. Furthermore, onion also helps in preventing cholesterol accumulation which can cause clooging and hardening of the arteries. As per a report by Cambridge University Press, the flavonoids present in onion help to lower the levels of bad cholesterol in obese people. Onions are also rich in organosulfurs which also help to prevent heart diseases.
14. Benefits of Onion to Build Strong Immunity
Why to use onion for better immunity
Onions are great for boosting our immunity health, and this benefits of onion can be attributed to the polyphenol content of onions. The polyphenols fights against the free radicals and then protects our body from damages. Furthermore, onions also contain a mineral known as selenium which also helps to improve immunity. The antimicrobial properties of onion also helps to fight infections. What’s more, regular consumption of onion also help reduce allergic reactions in our body by stopping the production of histamine.
15. Benefits of Onion for Bone Heath
Why to use onion for bone health
So we are going to conclude this list of benefits of onion with this one. Onion is considered very useful for elderly people who are at the higher risk of developing osteoporosis. Onions, specially white onions contain a compound knows as GPCS which can slow down the bone loss. A study has revealed that women who ate onions regularly had 5% more bone mass than those who ate less. Regular onion intake has been found very beneficial for bone density of women older than 50 years.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, quercetin present in onions can inhibit the activity of leukotrienes, prostaglandins as well as histamines (all of them cause inflammation) in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
So these were our 15 top benefits of onion for skin, hair and health. Below we are going to discuss some interesting things about onions, do check them out.
Why onion causes teary eyes?
Ever wondered why onion causes you teary eyes? Here is the answer. When onion cells are exposed to air, a compound known as allyl sulphate is produced. In fact, this compound is responsible for producing tears. To reduce the production of allyl sulphate, chill the onion for 30 minutes or so before cutting them.
Why Raw Onions are Best?
It has been proved that onions are much more active in its raw state than when cooked. The reason is that it contains a variety of organic sulfur compounds, contained in a volatile oil that provide all the amazing health benefits of onion. Exposure to heat can partly destroy these organic sulfur compounds. Some people find it difficult to digest raw onions. Also, people with sensitive stomach are not advised to eat raw onions. Eating baked onion is a great idea for those who face difficulties in eating raw onions. Baked onion retain all its goodness inside, but becomes more palatable.
Nutritional Facts about Onions
According to USDA, 100 gm of sliced onion contains following key nutrients :
- Water – 89.11 gm
- Energy – 40 kcal
- Protein – 1.10 gm
- Carbohydrate – 9.34 gm
- Fiber – 1.7 gm
So this was all about benefits of onion and onion uses for our skin, hair and health. Hope you found it helpful, stay tuned for more 🙂